2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received a rejection from Trenton Psychiatric yet? I know they began their phone invites this Monday. I am still waiting to hear from them - either way.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I have an interview at Miami Children's Hospital for the Pediatric Health Track on January 14th.

Has anyone ever attended an interview at Miami Children? For those who have attended an interview there, what was the interview like.

They lost one of their tracks (Child, family and adolescent) due to funding . So this year as a result they are only looking for two interns. I am glad I was invited for an interview but it is kinda nerve wrecking to know that only two slots are available. :scared:

Generic email invite to Kaiser LA. I think there was a typo in their invite email on the dates, but it looks like they'll be Wednesdays (1/9, 1/16, 1/23), 9-1pm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received a rejection from Trenton Psychiatric yet? I know they began their phone invites this Monday. I am still waiting to hear from them - either way.

Me too.. still waiting

Sent from my EVO using SDN Mobile

Question:

What do you all think of a supervisor who blames their supervisee of "abandoning" their clients when said supervisee tells the supervisor she is going to be gone for at least 3 weeks due to interviews and the holidays? (The said supervisee had more than prepared her clients for the fact that she will be gone and has processed it with them)

Also, what do you think of putting your clients ahead of everything in life when you practice? EVERYTHING. Including family, holidays, self-care, etc etc? Family member dies? "Work through it" Sick? "Work through it"

I didn't think I signed up for this.

Question:

What do you all think of a supervisor who blames their supervisee of "abandoning" their clients when said supervisee tells the supervisor she is going to be gone for at least 3 weeks due to interviews and the holidays? (The said supervisee had more than prepared her clients for the fact that she will be gone and has processed it with them)

Also, what do you think of putting your clients ahead of everything in life when you practice? EVERYTHING. Including family, holidays, self-care, etc etc? Family member dies? "Work through it" Sick? "Work through it"

Sorry you have to go through this. Most externship sites are aware of the internship process and are flexible, I gather. Personally, I had to move my appointments around, rather than take a whole week off. So I don't know how they would have reacted to me taking 3 weeks off. It likely depends on the site and supervisor.

I have been distracted and anxious through this process. I have kept my supervisor in the loop because I don't want it to affect patient care. I think self-care is very important. I have not had any supervisor tell me to "work through it". Maybe this is an atypical supervisor? Is there anyone else at that site who could support you through this?

I am guessing CSU is going to wait until after the New Years to set up interviews.

Has anyone heard from Miami-Dade County? I know their application deadline was 12/15, but I'm starting to get antsy!

Generic acceptance for an interview at the University of Washington Tacoma. The email says January 7th but the attachment says January 9th a Wednesday. All I can say is ^$%#*( this is a confusing process! I am now running into scheduling conflicts with two internships already that both interview on January 18th ! I have 8 interviews now and they all seem to be on Fridays and Mondays in January but the University of Washington may be on a Wednesday. I hope I am not going to be forced to turn down another interview because of scheduling conflicts. Damn this is a broken system!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Today was the notification date for Temple Consortium, and I never heard from them :confused:. I know people heard from one track yesterday, so should I assume that it is a rejection? Does anyone know of anyone who heard from the CAADC track one way or another? :xf:

Question:

This is only my opinion, but I don't think I could be a competent helping professional if I placed my clients ahead of everything else in my life. This strategy may work for a short time, but I can see myself easily becoming burned out and ineffective in my work. Psychologists are humans first, and psychologists second - we can't be utterly immune to stresses in life. We may have better coping resources than the average guy on the street, but that doesn't mean we can just brush feelings aside in the presence of a stressful life event (e.g., the death of a family member).

I also think that we all deserve to take time away from our work, decompress, and come back refreshed and ready to help again. Self-care is important! I also think that a key aspect of becoming a professional is the ability to recognize when life stresses become too much to handle, and taking an appropriate amount of time away from work and clients. Personally, I told my clients that I would be unavailable for much of January, that I was sorry for the inconvenience it caused them, and I would do my best to work them in as my schedule allowed. I think the vast majority of individuals we work with are understanding that we have lives outside of work. For the ones that don't ... it's just an opportunity to explore the idea about reasonable expectations of others!

Generic email invitation to interview at Ancora Psychiatric Hospital. Finally a response!

I don't know if this topic has already been addressed, but I'll post anyway. :) My mother rightly reminded me that it was a good idea to get a flu shot this year. With all the interviews and traveling in the next few weeks, now is not a good time to fall ill! I was grateful that she brought it up - my brain has focused almost entirely on compulsively checking email and hitting refresh on this forum. :D Anyway, I got my flu shot at CVS today. It was only $5 with insurance, and $31.99 without. Fingers crossed that we all stay healthy and rested throughout this stressful process!

Agreed. I am still waiting to hear back about the MAD track...
Both Friends Hospital and Fransican Hospital neglected to send all of the applicants rejections because of the large number of applications they received. Rude.

I don't know if this topic has already been addressed, but I'll post anyway. :) My mother rightly reminded me that it was a good idea to get a flu shot this year. With all the interviews and traveling in the next few weeks, now is not a good time to fall ill! I was grateful that she brought it up - my brain has focused almost entirely on compulsively checking email and hitting refresh on this forum. :D Anyway, I got my flu shot at CVS today. It was only $5 with insurance, and $31.99 without. Fingers crossed that we all stay healthy and rested throughout this stressful process!

Yea, I got really sick the morning of my first interview and I am fighting off the bug that is going around my university.

Finally news from Ancora: generic rejection email

Me too! So relieved just to hear :cool: Now, only waiting on one site: MSH. They sent an email out a few days ago to let people know that their notifications would be late.

Today was the notification date for Temple Consortium, and I never heard from them :confused:. I know people heard from one track yesterday, so should I assume that it is a rejection? Does anyone know of anyone who heard from the CAADC track one way or another? :xf:

I thought I saw someone say yesterday they heard back from the child anxiety track. If you flip back a page or two you should see it. I wouldn't necessarily assume it's a rejection just yet.

This is only my opinion, but I don't think I could be a competent helping professional if I placed my clients ahead of everything else in my life. This strategy may work for a short time, but I can see myself easily becoming burned out and ineffective in my work. Psychologists are humans first, and psychologists second - we can't be utterly immune to stresses in life. We may have better coping resources than the average guy on the street, but that doesn't mean we can just brush feelings aside in the presence of a stressful life event (e.g., the death of a family member).

I also think that we all deserve to take time away from our work, decompress, and come back refreshed and ready to help again. Self-care is important! I also think that a key aspect of becoming a professional is the ability to recognize when life stresses become too much to handle, and taking an appropriate amount of time away from work and clients. Personally, I told my clients that I would be unavailable for much of January, that I was sorry for the inconvenience it caused them, and I would do my best to work them in as my schedule allowed. I think the vast majority of individuals we work with are understanding that we have lives outside of work. For the ones that don't ... it's just an opportunity to explore the idea about reasonable expectations of others!

Well said and I completely agree!!!

Personalized emailed rejection from USCF CTRP
Four more to hear from, but I know at least 3 are rejections.

Personalized emailed rejection from USCF CTRP
Four more to hear from, but I know at least 3 are rejections.

happyhappyhappa, sorry to hear :( BUT congrats on your interview at UCSF IPP!!! I was sad to receive a rejection from them yesterday. So confusing when you get one rejection and one invitation from similar sites.

I know 3 women who are interns there currently, and they seem to be enjoying the site. Good luck on your interview!

Same. PsychMama, are you doing the Early Childhood, Bilingual, or General Track?

Hooray!

I was just deciding! I think I am going to go for the General Track, because it looks like we still get early childhood experience in that track, but perhaps have a more balanced program with trauma tx and family therapy....

How about you?

happyhappyhappa, sorry to hear :( BUT congrats on your interview at UCSF IPP!!! I was sad to receive a rejection from them yesterday. So confusing when you get one rejection and one invitation from similar sites.

I know 3 women who are interns there currently, and they seem to be enjoying the site. Good luck on your interview!

You are so thoughtful, Maggiepie7! Thanks for your encouragement. I'm sorry that you were rejected from the site. From your posts on this forum, you seem like such a genuinely passionate clinician and I know any site that gets lucky enough to have you as their intern will be lucky!

Rejection from MSH.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Just want to say congratulations to all of you who got interviews, and good luck on your interviews! May you all match to your most preferred sites!

For those of you who didn't get interviews this round, hang in there and good luck for phase II :)

Just want to say congratulations to all of you who got interviews, and good luck on your interviews! May you all match to your most preferred sites!

For those of you who didn't get interviews this round, hang in there and good luck for phase II :)

Thank you much! And back at ya. :D

Generic acceptance for an interview at the University of Washington Tacoma. The email says January 7th but the attachment says January 9th a Wednesday. All I can say is ^$%#*( this is a confusing process! I am now running into scheduling conflicts with two internships already that both interview on January 18th ! I have 8 interviews now and they all seem to be on Fridays and Mondays in January but the University of Washington may be on a Wednesday. I hope I am not going to be forced to turn down another interview because of scheduling conflicts. Damn this is a broken system!!!!

Congrats on the interview!! I would definitely contact them to clarify, because those were the two days they gave us to "hold," saying that we would be assigned one of them later. I was also given an interview invitation, but mine only had one date on the email and the attachment. In fact, it said "Monday January 7th" pretty much everywhere it could, including the file name of the attachment. So, I would definitely call to clarify. I hope that you can work it out- the people there seem absolutely lovely!! And if you go on the 7th, maybe we'll get to meet each other. :)

Best, HB

You can get a job at a VA if you did an internship at an unaccredited VA. It says it on the Philly VA's website and I've checked in with a chief of mental health services at a VA. He did say that they would still look down upon doing internship at a VA that is not accredited, so even VA's will hold it against you if you are trying to get a job there.

http://www.psychologytraining.va.gov/eligibility.asp

I wanted to give my two cents on the unaccredited VA issue. I received some great feedback from a VA TD on my application. (There materials made the faculty look like super nice people - I emailed the TD, and she offered incredible advice. I applied to a lot of sites and did well at forensic sites, so I am not upset, but I received no interviews at straight VAs (did fine with consortiums) and asked her why. This led to a discussion on options, etc. BTW, I'd recommend this to anyone who is puzzled at VA responses.)

She said they look at grades, program reputation, training, prior work experience. Then, all things being equal they give a preference to someone who completes a VA practicum. (In my program, that's not an option for everyone). Based on that she suggested, that I make a practica happen and that's a long, but interesting story for another day. However, if you are ready to move on and you are at the end of your rope, she advised students to get a VA internship even if unaccredited. According to this TD, they get significantly fewer applications, you are eligible for a VA internship, and you get a preference because you have worked at the VA. There are likely some unaccredited ones that have a better reputation, more rotations, inpatient rotations, etc. that may be more advisable. Also, some VAs may not like this, but a TD at a very good VA told me that they do. I am not sure if there are still an VAs with deadlines, but I'd say go for it if there are.

It seems like much better experience than a year of practica or TAing or something. I guess we should all consider these as backups really. I think we all need to be applying to 20-25 sites these days anyway. My TD was pushing 15 for everyone like it was some magic number. :bang:

I was just deciding! I think I am going to go for the General Track, because it looks like we still get early childhood experience in that track, but perhaps have a more balanced program with trauma tx and family therapy....

How about you?

I ultimately went for the General Track, because of the breadth of experiences. And, as much as I ultimately want to end up in infant mental health (I'm doing doula training right now!) I really love working with couples and older families, too.

I'll see you there, then! Maybe we can be lunch buddies :)

You are so thoughtful, Maggiepie7! Thanks for your encouragement. I'm sorry that you were rejected from the site. From your posts on this forum, you seem like such a genuinely passionate clinician and I know any site that gets lucky enough to have you as their intern will be lucky!

You will do great! And I hope you get your top choice site. It sounds (from the interviews you've been offered and what you've posted on here) that you're a highly qualified clinician in many realms. And thanks for the compliments :)

I had given up after 22 rejections, but landed 2 interviews in the final days..don't give up for those of you still waiting!!

Congrats on the interview!! I would definitely contact them to clarify, because those were the two days they gave us to "hold," saying that we would be assigned one of them later. I was also given an interview invitation, but mine only had one date on the email and the attachment. In fact, it said "Monday January 7th" pretty much everywhere it could, including the file name of the attachment. So, I would definitely call to clarify. I hope that you can work it out- the people there seem absolutely lovely!! And if you go on the 7th, maybe we'll get to meet each other. :)

Best, HB

You should call/email and politely explain. I had the same issue last week and a site gave me another date. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Has anyone gotten an interview with Rappahannock? I saw they sent out rejections..

I wanted to give my two cents on the unaccredited VA issue. I received some great feedback from a VA TD on my application. (There materials made the faculty look like super nice people - I emailed the TD, and she offered incredible advice. I applied to a lot of sites and did well at forensic sites, so I am not upset, but I received no interviews at straight VAs (did fine with consortiums) and asked her why. This led to a discussion on options, etc. BTW, I'd recommend this to anyone who is puzzled at VA responses.)

She said they look at grades, program reputation, training, prior work experience. Then, all things being equal they give a preference to someone who completes a VA practicum. (In my program, that's not an option for everyone). Based on that she suggested, that I make a practica happen and that's a long, but interesting story for another day. However, if you are ready to move on and you are at the end of your rope, she advised students to get a VA internship even if unaccredited. According to this TD, they get significantly fewer applications, you are eligible for a VA internship, and you get a preference because you have worked at the VA. There are likely some unaccredited ones that have a better reputation, more rotations, inpatient rotations, etc. that may be more advisable. Also, some VAs may not like this, but a TD at a very good VA told me that they do. I am not sure if there are still an VAs with deadlines, but I'd say go for it if there are.

It seems like much better experience than a year of practica or TAing or something. I guess we should all consider these as backups really. I think we all need to be applying to 20-25 sites these days anyway. My TD was pushing 15 for everyone like it was some magic number. :bang:

I think the stipulation for unaccredited VAs is that the internship must be in the process of applying for accreditation (i.e., that it's a new program and is thought to have a realistic shot of landing accreditation once eligible), or something thereabouts.

Then again, if the internship doesn't have a realistic shot at obtaining APA accred., I don't know that the VA system would allow it to continue to exist.

I am guessing CSU is going to wait until after the New Years to set up interviews.

I received a phone call to set up an interview at CSU on Tuesday of this week. I'm scheduled for Jan. 3rd

If you have insurance most PCP will give it and it will be free. Since it is preventative it is likely covered 100% by your insurance. It's worth checking!

I had given up after 22 rejections, but landed 2 interviews in the final days..don't give up for those of you still waiting!!

that is a so great! I was praying and hoping that every time I read the forums, I would see a post with good news from you! good lucky at your interviews!

Received an interview with CII yesterday via generic email.
Also received a personalized email from Miami-Dade County with specific time and date for an interview. Hopefully they give me alternate times!

Hello: I never really rec'd a response about implications going for a non APA internship site. I want to know what are the implications, if eventually I want to work in a Psychiatric State Hospital or teach.

Most responses were speaking on the VA. I understand that part of it Please weigh in!!

I thought I saw someone say yesterday they heard back from the child anxiety track. If you flip back a page or two you should see it. I wouldn't necessarily assume it's a rejection just yet.

No Stooge, that was just me asking about it. Bit of OCD apparently. I know you were waiting on the MAD track, did you ever hear one way or another? Fingers crossed for you. I might end up emailing the TD later tonight if I still haven't heard anything since Christmas is upon us and we likely won't be hearing anything after this week :(

Thank you very helpful. Not sure if my question was addressed. I'll just play it safe and stick with APA accredited site. Thanks AgAIN

I received a phone call to set up an interview at CSU on Tuesday of this week. I'm scheduled for Jan. 3rd

Thanks. I am guessing Cleveland State University should now be crossed off of my list.