2013 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2 interview invites, 1 rejection so far. Complete in late September to early October and still have about 25 other schools to hear from. I'm more optimistic after finally getting interviews, but it's still such a long and difficult process...I just want to fast forward my life to the spring so badly :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Just received my first acceptance right before the flight attendant made me turn my phone off. I couldn't even call or text or celebrate with anyone ! I ended up doing the happy dance in my mind the entire flight. :D

Well I suppose I could have bought everyone on the plane a round... But yeah I'm about to be six figures in debt :eek:.

waiting to hear back from several schools....

Good luck to all the nontrad's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my first acceptance right before the flight attendant made me turn my phone off. I couldn't even call or text or celebrate with anyone ! I ended up doing the happy dance in my mind the entire flight. :D

Well I suppose I could have bought everyone on the plane a round... But yeah I'm about to be six figures in debt :eek:.

Congratulations! I am supposed to hear from CWRU on Tuesday and the University of Michigan a week from Monday, so I hope hope hope that I will know how you feel pretty soon :). Good luck with the rest of the season!

Congratulations! I am supposed to hear from CWRU on Tuesday and the University of Michigan a week from Monday, so I hope hope hope that I will know how you feel pretty soon :). Good luck with the rest of the season!

Thanks! :luck::luck: for you too. I'll be interviewing at CWRU in two weeks so I'm looking forward to hearing from them too! :xf:

And congrats on the baby boy :D

Thanks! It will certainly be a relief to know I haven't put my wife through all of this premed anxiety for nothing. And it will be great to think I haven't shot myself in the foot work-wise these past two years when it comes to supporting my son. Although I'm sure he would forgive me :).

My Case interview was really laid back, and Cleveland is a much better place to live than it appears at first glance. Good luck!

Feeling... great. (what is this strange feeling?) Had the first two interviews last week, and we just... talked. No curveballs, no stress questions, not even why medicine. Just two people having a regular, human conversation.

Also got some state school love this past week, and I might have been a bit happy when I saw the invites:

tumblr_lu43j3ToBL1qdbkoho1_500.gif

Congrats with finishing the interview season/ pending children/ acceptances!

Feeling... great. (what is this strange feeling?) Had the first two interviews last week, and we just... talked. No curveballs, no stress questions, not even why medicine. Just two people having a regular, human conversation.

The more I talk with nontrads about their interview experiences, the more I realize this is how most of them go for us. I think it's because we as a group have more varied experiences that interviewers are curious to discuss, and there's no need for the ethics/healthcare filler questions. We've handled our fair share of stress and tend to stray very far from the cookie cutter application. So there's lots of ask about.

I could be completely wrong about this, but I've found that my traditional friends are consistently asked ethics and healthcare questions while the nontrads aren't, for the most part. And I really like that. I'd rather my interviewer get to know me as a person through my life experiences than through some hypothetical scenarios.

Lastly, congrats on the interviews and state school love!

The more I talk with nontrads about their interview experiences, the more I realize this is how most of them go for us. I think it's because we as a group have more varied experiences that interviewers are curious to discuss, and there's no need for the ethics/healthcare filler questions. We've handled our fair share of stress and tend to stray very far from the cookie cutter application. So there's lots of ask about.

I could be completely wrong about this, but I've found that my traditional friends are consistently asked ethics and healthcare questions while the nontrads aren't, for the most part. And I really like that. I'd rather my interviewer get to know me as a person through my life experiences than through some hypothetical scenarios.

Lastly, congrats on the interviews and state school love!

Very True. I felt very comfortable during most interviews. As a non-trad, I think these interviews are probably a lot less stressful than for most other applicants. As a caveat, you should still know how you feel about the healthcare mess...I did get asked a couple of times. More because they seemed curious about what my opinion was (not as a trick question at all). Bottom line is if you are a non-trad and can talk at all, you will probably do very well with these med school interviews.

Very True. I felt very comfortable during most interviews. As a non-trad, I think these interviews are probably a lot less stressful than for most other applicants. As a caveat, you should still know how you feel about the healthcare mess...I did get asked a couple of times. More because they seemed curious about what my opinion was (not as a trick question at all). Bottom line is if you are a non-trad and can talk at all, you will probably do very well with these med school interviews.

I do agree with the sentiment regarding the feel of interviews. (I was terrified before my first, not knowing they would be so laid back.) I have found, however, that this does not translate to a successful interview, at least in my case. I have interviewed at 4 schools: 2 I won't hear from until at least mid-November (more likely Feb), 1 waitlisted me, and I am on hold at the 4th. Quite a blow to the confidence; I have an interview next week, and I'm scared all over again. I figure I must be doing something wrong, even though it's so conversational and I feel comfortable.

Accepted by CWRU (University Program)! Hooray!

+1

With one exception, this is exactly how all of my interviews have gone. (And for that one exception, the interviews were completely standardized across all applicants. A bunch of "Tell me about a time when..." questions...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted by CWRU (University Program)! Hooray!

Congrats! This your first? The first seems to be the most memorable.

Beautiful sunny day here, so I'm gonna go out and... write secondaries. As of Friday, I'm standing at 15 invites, so beginning to get calmer. (I can't possibly screw up all 15, right? RIGHT?!)

Status: 30 applied// 30 secondaries received// 27 submitted// 15 invites// 0 rejections

Congrats! This your first? The first seems to be the most memorable.

Beautiful sunny day here, so I'm gonna go out and... write secondaries. As of Friday, I'm standing at 15 invites, so beginning to get calmer. (I can't possibly screw up all 15, right? RIGHT?!)

Status: 30 applied// 30 secondaries received// 27 submitted// 15 invites// 0 rejections

WOW! 15 invites, you must have something they really really like. No, you can't possible screw them all up. I predict at least 8 acceptances for you! Congrats!

Now that I have thoroughly stalked this entire thread I just want to say good luck and congrats, everyone! I've still got a long while but threads like this keep my hopes up :)

Gah. Thought I would hear back from Case today but.. no word yet :(

Same thing happened to me. I think I found out on Thursday. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Same thing happened to me. I think I found out on Thursday. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Sigh, looks like I'll have to wait a little longer.

Thanks! Don't forget to cross your toesies too ! :laugh:

I'm slowly starting to freak out about my upcoming interview (it's this Saturday). I'm not scared of the interview itself because I'm generally a pretty good interviewee. But the fact that this is the only invite I've gotten so far scares the crap out of me. It feels like my one shot at getting into medical school this cycle and that's absolutely terrifying.

Anywhos, congrats to all those who have been accepted! I hope to join your ranks soon.

I'm slowly starting to freak out about my upcoming interview (it's this Saturday). I'm not scared of the interview itself because I'm generally a pretty good interviewee. But the fact that this is the only invite I've gotten so far scares the crap out of me. It feels like my one shot at getting into medical school this cycle and that's absolutely terrifying.

Anywhos, congrats to all those who have been accepted! I hope to join your ranks soon.

Good luck to you. You have people behind you rooting for you!

Where is it at?

Just remember, you will do great. Don't let the younger crowd stress you out.

At my last interview, there were a bunch of applicants that were there as their first interview. They were all stressing out in the prep room before the actual interviews started. The stress was so thick that they were starting to stress ME out, and I had nothing to lose because I had already gotten two acceptances at other schools. I only went to that one because it is my state school and it would mean that I won't have to move out of my house.

dsoz

I only went to that one because it is my state school and it would mean that I won't have to move out of my house.

When will you find out about that one?

Still no interviews from area schools here. Hold and Waitlist from my OOS, and if I am lucky, I can hear from my 3 IS later this week...or they could wait until the match in Feb. So nerve-wracking!!! :scared:

Best of luck to all! Non-trads, you will rock your interviews, I'm sure. :thumbup: I think it's a little more comfortable (although still scary) for those of us who have been out of college.

When will you find out about that one?

Still no interviews from area schools here. Hold and Waitlist from my OOS, and if I am lucky, I can hear from my 3 IS later this week...or they could wait until the match in Feb. So nerve-wracking!!! :scared:

Best of luck to all! Non-trads, you will rock your interviews, I'm sure. :thumbup: I think it's a little more comfortable (although still scary) for those of us who have been out of college.

If it is an outright acceptance, maybe next week to possibly after Thanksgiving. If it is a hold (most of OHSU interviews get a hold status) then the final list is put out in March. :( That includes the wait-list.

I understand the nerve wracking part. Sometimes I just want to know what it will be at the end so I don't have to keep trudging up blind alleys and throwing money down empty wells. If I knew which schools would have given me acceptances, I wouldn't have had to apply to 20 different schools. Pay the primary fee to both AACOMAS and AMCAS, let alone the secondary fees. I think I am most irked at spending so much time on the essays of school that have not even sent me an email saying "thanks but no-thanks." I am tired of flying to interviews in cities where I received a wait-list.
/rant

I also agree that many non-trads are better off than fresh college students. I know I am much more able to express what I want and what I am good at now than I was when I was in undergrad (a double digit number of years ago). I was not ready to do medicine back then, but I think I am ready for it now. My life experience has prepared me in a way that college could never do.

dsoz

I also agree that many non-trads are better off than fresh college students. I know I am much more able to express what I want and what I am good at now than I was when I was in undergrad (a double digit number of years ago). I was not ready to do medicine back then, but I think I am ready for it now. My life experience has prepared me in a way that college could never do.

+1

This really resonates with me, dsoz. I can't imagine myself as a doctor ten years ago, when I was fresh out of college, but now I can't see myself doing anything else with my future. I think that I have a much stronger sense of self now and that I am much better prepared for this giant step that I'm about to take. A little frightening, yes, but incredibly exciting just the same... :)

I'm sorry I didn't find the non-trad forum sooner. I guess I'm not a non-trad in the normal sense, as I changed paths right before I got my first degree. But I still had a story to tell on my applications, and I think that got me past my rather bleak GPA. I already see a lot of success stories here, which is awesome.

If it is an outright acceptance, maybe next week to possibly after Thanksgiving. If it is a hold (most of OHSU interviews get a hold status) then the final list is put out in March. :( That includes the wait-list.

I understand the nerve wracking part. Sometimes I just want to know what it will be at the end so I don't have to keep trudging up blind alleys and throwing money down empty wells. If I knew which schools would have given me acceptances, I wouldn't have had to apply to 20 different schools. Pay the primary fee to both AACOMAS and AMCAS, let alone the secondary fees. I think I am most irked at spending so much time on the essays of school that have not even sent me an email saying "thanks but no-thanks." I am tired of flying to interviews in cities where I received a wait-list.
/rant

:luck: with the state school! It's so hard not to know where you are going when you have a family to move. That's why I was so upset about my waitlists. If you don't find out until May (my schools), and you've still got a house to sell, spouse has a job to find,.... Oh geez, I'm getting worried just thinking about it!

And, oh, if I could have the hours back that I poured into secondaries that rejected me or haven't paid any attention.... :p

I'm not interviewing at OHSU but the school I am interviewing at does things this way. So if I don't hear back from them within 2-4 weeks after my interview I know I'm either waitlisted or rejected (most likely waitlist).

That's the comforting part of this. They're pretty predictable.

Indeed! Congrats!

Thanks! I see the process has been going well for you as well. And, in even better news, I'm done with secondaries! I ran out of juice after the acceptance, and the final (and 30th!) secondary just requires more (time, effort, caring) to do well than I can spare right now. It's a shame, since I know lot of good people and have had great experiences there, but don't feel like wasting my app fee on a subpar secondary.

Just got my 4th interview invite out of 5 applications and #5 was a big reach, so I am feeling pretty awesome right now. On the down side... so far I have landed myself on a waitlist and think that the second interview is going to end in rejection due to lack of fit. But, 2 more tries to get it right!

Just received my first acceptance. Be patient, it will happen.

Two days after my first interview I got an II to another school, so it's looking up for me over here. Coincidentally (and not all that surprisingly) both of these schools are known for looking at applicants holistically and not simply focusing on the numbers so it makes sense why they're considering me.

So all hope is not lost on my end anymore.

Accepted into my top choice. Amazing!

+1

You were accepted at UW, I was accepted at OHSU!

Now I need to figure out if UW and OHSU are rivals or not... :)

When I was finished with the OHSU interview, I said that it would be my LAST interview for the cycle. I was already accepted to two great schools. OHSU is now the icing on the cake. I get to relax now until the middle of August.

Anyway, congratulations. What did you do to celebrate? I went out and had a fancy dinner with my family, including the mom-in-law. It was really nice.

dsoz

Again, congrats to both of you!

I'm pretty darn happy about my cycle so far. I can't believe SDN WAMC almost convinced me to delay another year. Silly me, I should have stuck with the non-trad forum the entire time. You guys are a much more positive bunch :)

Currently sitting on three acceptances, but waiting to hear from the two schools closest to home.

Well this cycle has turned out better than I could have imagined.

Completed 8 applications
2 pre-interview holds
5 interview invites
4 interviews attended
3 acceptances (hopefully 4th next week)

I love seeing all the success among the many non-trads.

Last edited:
Again, congrats to both of you!

I'm pretty darn happy about my cycle so far. I can't believe SDN WAMC almost convinced me to delay another year. Silly me, I should have stuck with the non-trad forum the entire time. You guys are a much more positive bunch :)

ladymich- congrats on the acceptances, it looks like we applied to some of the same schools. I interviewed at UVM yesterday and loved it, but they're not meeting again until mid january so I'll have to wait a while to hear from them.

My cycle so far- 7 interviews, 1 waitlist, silence from EVERYWHERE ELSE. The wait is really starting to get to me given that my first interviews were the first week in September. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my interview approach, even though I've had very positive feedback from several interviewers. ugh.

ladymich- congrats on the acceptances, it looks like we applied to some of the same schools. I interviewed at UVM yesterday and loved it, but they're not meeting again until mid january so I'll have to wait a while to hear from them.

My cycle so far- 7 interviews, 1 waitlist, silence from EVERYWHERE ELSE. The wait is really starting to get to me given that my first interviews were the first week in September. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my interview approach, even though I've had very positive feedback from several interviewers. ugh.

Thanks! I loved UVM when I interviewed there and they seem to really like non-trads so I'll cross my fingers for you! :xf:

With 7 interviews, I'm sure you're a seasoned interviewee by now. Just hold tight and you'll hear back from schools soon! This entire month has been crazy for me and it seems like everything in the cycle happens in waves. Maybe it'll be the same for you too :luck: :luck:

Thanks! I loved UVM when I interviewed there and they seem to really like non-trads so I'll cross my fingers for you! :xf:

With 7 interviews, I'm sure you're a seasoned interviewee by now. Just hold tight and you'll hear back from schools soon! This entire month has been crazy for me and it seems like everything in the cycle happens in waves. Maybe it'll be the same for you too :luck: :luck:

you must be prophetic- just got my first acceptance (Tulane)!!!! woohoooo!

you must be prophetic- just got my first acceptance (Tulane)!!!! woohoooo!

Nice! So far that's my only MD acceptance. I remember that "woohooo!" was exactly what I said when I got Tulane's acceptance email. Depending on how my UW interview goes we might end up as classmates.

Got my first acceptance... and I only applied allopathic (not bc I dont like osteopathic schools.. I'm living abroad and barely had time to do even the MD schools and didnt have the time or expenses to do others)! Very low gpa (sub 3.1 cGPA and sub 3.0sGPA), average MCAT... (btwn 30-34).
But a lot of experience and extracurriculars. And I am an ORM (and uh.. quite a few years older than the average applicant)

This was my first application cycle. If I could do it anyone can do it!!!

Got my first acceptance... and I only applied allopathic (not bc I dont like osteopathic schools.. I'm living abroad and barely had time to do even the MD schools and didnt have the time or expenses to do others)! Very low gpa (sub 3.1 cGPA and sub 3.0sGPA), average MCAT... (btwn 30-34).
But a lot of experience and extracurriculars. And I am an ORM (and uh.. quite a few years older than the average applicant)

This was my first application cycle. If I could do it anyone can do it!!!

Congrats. :)

dsoz

It is very encouraging to see all the acceptances floating around this forum. :D

I've had two interviews, one rejection, and I am getting anxious because I should be hearing something about my other interview next week.

I have also been getting several application complete emails so that leaves hope for another interview this spring.

I have a biochemistry final on Monday, before I will hear back about my school. Therefore, I have restricted my hours on the computer so that I can focus on this final. I am scared because I know that if I get wait-listed I really need to be able to show them an A for biochemistry. If only I had an acceptance in hand and I could be cool with a C. :laugh:

Nice! So far that's my only MD acceptance. I remember that "woohooo!" was exactly what I said when I got Tulane's acceptance email. Depending on how my UW interview goes we might end up as classmates.

that would be great! part of the reason I love Tulane is the diversity of the student class and the # of nontrads- my student interview was with a guy who is a first year and must be in his mid 30s. price wise, it's terrifying, but my state schools are taking their sweet time getting back to me so I probably won't know where I'm headed until may. ..

+1

You were accepted at UW, I was accepted at OHSU!

Now I need to figure out if UW and OHSU are rivals or not... :)

When I was finished with the OHSU interview, I said that it would be my LAST interview for the cycle. I was already accepted to two great schools. OHSU is now the icing on the cake. I get to relax now until the middle of August.

Anyway, congratulations. What did you do to celebrate? I went out and had a fancy dinner with my family, including the mom-in-law. It was really nice.

dsoz

I actually had a Caribbean Cruise Planned 12/03-12/09, and I received my acceptance on 11/27, so the vacation coincidentally served as my celebratory event.