2013 Public Health Associate Program (PHAP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for those who havent received a call, keep your head up! i just got an offer about 30 minutes ago! is anyone else going to cali???

I was placed in LA! Are you in LA as well?

Members don't see this ad.

for those who havent received a call, keep your head up! i just got an offer about 30 minutes ago! is anyone else going to cali???

Hey!!!

That's great to hear!! ....I hope you enjoy your fellowship here in California I love it here.

Congratulation & you just gave me more hope. My old supervisor told me today I shouldn't give up just yet either....maybe shes right.

Members don't see this ad :)
All I can say is that this WHOLE process has been really stressful. From having to tell numerous people from January till last week that I've been in limbo with this fellowship was becoming daunting. But, patience and persistence pays off! Sounds like offers are still being made! My word of advice...dedicate LOTS of time to planning your move. It's consumed all my free time thus far...mostly the apartment part.

I'll be in Charleston, WV! Anyone else in the area? Probably not. Need at least one friend right off the bat. My friends back home are already sad I'm leaving :\

See most of you in Atlanta!

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I've been placed in the Philadelphia area! I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of the neighborhoods in the city? I'm looking for an apartment, and I'm trying to figure out my budget since it's going be tight the first year of the fellowship.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I've been placed in the Philadelphia area! I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of the neighborhoods in the city? I'm looking for an apartment, and I'm trying to figure out my budget since it's going be tight the first year of the fellowship.

Thanks!

aww so jealous!

depends what you want out of an area..university city is studenty. personally i would try to stick near center city it's young professional/professional and centrally located...but not really budget friendly--you can find deals though--tons of rentals if you're okay with roommates. if you want to commute, living south of the city and commuting north into the city is 10x easier/faster than living north of the city and commuting south into the city. Don't live in Jersey..it is $5 everytime you leave Jersey and go into Philly and there is no way around this toll!

I was notified late last week that I will be in Coralville. Iowa at a public health lab! I was told that there was one other lab position. Does anyone here know anything about that? Congrats to everyone so far!! Looking forward to Atlanta :)

Welcome to Philly!!!

I've been looking at this thread for a while, Im not an applicant this year but I will be next year :) I'm a Philly native and couldn't help but type a response. CONGRATS!! Grapes504 is correct about living out of the city, its way cheaper.

Manayunk is quite nice and full of young professionals, shops restaurants and its its quite clean. Living in the city means big $$$ unless you find a roommate. Mt. Airy/Germantown/Chestnut Hill (where I live)
are all nice neighborhoods that are close to the city by car.( via Lincoln Drive or Broad St.) 30-40 min commute by car OR you can take Regional Rail line into the city for $34 -$40 bucks a week. I like the subway because its cheaper ($2 one way) BUT if you want peace of mind, take the Regional Rail.

Here is a map to give you an idea my neighborhood is I guess NW of the city, but its not far by a longshot. I dont really drive here I take public trans. but a car is good to have around.
http://www.daniellemarks.com/Philly%20Neighborhoods.html

There are alot of beautiful houses in Mt.Airy being occupied by grad students who are in need of housemates, there are also plenty of apartment complexes.just check out craigslist. The prices range from $500 and up.

Philly is a student city soo there is tons to do. Please feel free to PM me.

This is soo awesome. If Im luck enough to get accepted next year I hope to get placed somewhere cool.
Best Wishes to everyone!!!

Oops I forgot to quote MN1234 lol. My response is for anyone placed in Philly though. Whoops :)

does anyone know anything about san francisco?? I've never even visited California before...now I'll be living there:eek: Im excited and nervous!!! Please help!

does anyone know anything about san francisco?? I've never even visited California before...now I'll be living there:eek: Im excited and nervous!!! Please help!

Don't get a car with a manual transmission: the hills are steep. And you probably don't want to live in a neighborhood called the Tenderloin. One of my friends lived there while she went to USF: her apartment was $2400 a month and it was pretty much a dive.

Anybody out there got any info on Chicago for me? I'm not totally unfamiliar because I lived 3 hours away in Wisconsin for several years, but that was a really long time ago.

Last edited:
this is kinda stressful.

Last edited:
I went to college in San Francisco and grew up in California. San Francisco is so great there is so much to do and the surprising Bay Area is so nice if you want small weekend getaways

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to college in San Francisco and grew up in California. San Francisco is so great there is so much to do and the surprising Bay Area is so nice if you want small weekend getaways
I meant to say surrounding not surprising

Hey I was placed in California. Visalia, CA the Tulare County Public Health department to be exact. All i know is that it's 45 min from Fresno lol. I'm really anxious about the move from St. Louis. Anybody know anything about the area (especially where to live)???

Congrats to all who were selected! I'll be relocating from the Midwest to Baltimore. I'm super excited/nervous. Any advice on areas to live?

Visalia, CA the Tulare County Public Health department to be exact.

I hope you like farmers, dust, and cattle. Visalia is in the Central Valley, which is more or less all agricultural. Upside is that housing should be inexpensive compared to the rest of California.

I hope you like farmers, dust, and cattle. Visalia is in the Central Valley, which is more or less all agricultural. Upside is that housing should be inexpensive compared to the rest of California.

Gotta make it work. I've been researching and getting a lot of mixed reviews so I guess I'll know when I get there

Don't get a car with a manual transmission: the hills are steep. And you probably don't want to live in a neighborhood called the Tenderloin. One of my friends lived there while she went to USF: her apartment was $2400 a month and it was pretty much a dive.

Anybody out there got any info on Chicago for me? I'm not totally unfamiliar because I lived 3 hours away in Wisconsin for several years, but that was a really long time ago.

I was just there today. Don't live in south Chicago.

Congrats! I've been assigned to Annapolis, MD and relocating from the Midwest as well.

Has anyone heard anything from HR? I got the onboarding submission confirmation; however, I asked the woman from the CDC where to send transcripts, etc. and she said that HR would contact us.

Congratulations to everyone already selected and good luck to those still waiting for their share of the good news!

I've been caught in an odd situation. I was notified by phone call last Tuesday about my selection and placement. I asked the PHAP supervisor what my next steps should be and he said to wait for HR to contact me and to wait for the background check. I was never told to accept anything on FMS and my status never changed until the system glitched yesterday and came back today. My status only reads that my interview is under review, however, and doesn't mention my selection.

I've emailed and called both the supervisor and the office and heard nothing. (I've actually only been able to leave messages at the PHAP office even during business hours.. Has anyone been able to get through to a person right away?) Needless to say, I'm starting to get worried this situation could turn out the worse for me and I'm hoping someone has some information that can reassure me that I didn't imagine the entire phone call!

As for people coming to California (born and raised!) I'm going to tell you that it's a beautiful state, but don't expect sunshine all year round like people seem to believe! San Francisco especially is known for being very foggy. Living in any urban setting in California is going to run a pretty penny but the social environment is worth it! I'm from San Jose (South Bay Area) and went to school in Berkeley (East Bay Area). I've also lived in San Diego if anyone has any questions about their placements! :)

I've been caught in an odd situation. I was notified by phone call last Tuesday about my selection and placement. I asked the PHAP supervisor what my next steps should be and he said to wait for HR to contact me and to wait for the background check. I was never told to accept anything on FMS and my status never changed until the system glitched yesterday and came back today. My status only reads that my interview is under review, however, and doesn't mention my selection.

I've emailed and called both the supervisor and the office and heard nothing. (I've actually only been able to leave messages at the PHAP office even during business hours.. Has anyone been able to get through to a person right away?) Needless to say, I'm starting to get worried this situation could turn out the worse for me and I'm hoping someone has some information that can reassure me that I didn't imagine the entire phone call!

:)

I was offered a position in Washington state on Wednesday. I was sent a generic email on Thursday to accept in FMS, but was unable to do anything because there was nothing new, it was just the you've been selected for an interview. I also haven't gotten an email with the details of the position. The system glitched and then I only had an error in FMS. I emailed and called several times, and nobody got back with me.

I DID happen to get lucky and get someone on the phone yesterday morning after several attempts and she said... They will not rescind an offer after you have told them you accepted. They will call FIRST to find out what's going on if they don't see activity in the systems (HR? or FMS?).

I was in a panic too. I have to move from GA to WA. But yesterday's convo soothed my feathers a little bit. Only a little bit though...

The system kinda updated for me and now says reviewing interviews... But nothing I need to accept just yet.

I was offered a position in Washington state on Wednesday. I was sent a generic email on Thursday to accept in FMS, but was unable to do anything because there was nothing new, it was just the you've been selected for an interview. I also haven't gotten an email with the details of the position. The system glitched and then I only had an error in FMS. I emailed and called several times, and nobody got back with me.

I DID happen to get lucky and get someone on the phone yesterday morning after several attempts and she said... They will not rescind an offer after you have told them you accepted. They will call FIRST to find out what's going on if they don't see activity in the systems (HR? or FMS?).

I was in a panic too. I have to move from GA to WA. But yesterday's convo soothed my feathers a little bit. Only a little bit though...

The system kinda updated for me and now says reviewing interviews... But nothing I need to accept just yet.

Thank you so much! This makes me feel so much better. I've been a ball of nerves hoping I didn't some how screw up this great opportunity! :)

I was just offered a spot this morning! Luckily, the position is in the same city where I live, so no cross country move for me. I am excited but also very confused! I didn't get any information on benefits, next steps, etc. My interview was just alright, so I really didn't expect to be selected. It was not a conversation at all, my interviewer just asked me the 6 questions and I answered them while she wrote everything that I said down. It was over in less than 20 mins. My guess is that a few spots may still be open because other people have turned them down. For the people who haven't heard back, don't give up quite yet! Good luck!

Def Feel better after reading this.
Did anyone who interviewed in NJ get placed yet?

I was just offered a spot this morning! Luckily, the position is in the same city where I live, so no cross country move for me. I am excited but also very confused! I didn't get any information on benefits, next steps, etc. My interview was just alright, so I really didn't expect to be selected. It was not a conversation at all, my interviewer just asked me the 6 questions and I answered them while she wrote everything that I said down. It was over in less than 20 mins. My guess is that a few spots may still be open because other people have turned them down. For the people who haven't heard back, don't give up quite yet! Good luck!

Mine did not open either. I wonder if it is a copy of the e-mail they sent out after they called.

Did anyone ever get this issue resolved? I still haven't been able to read my appointment letter.

I've been placed at a site near Atlanta if anyone else is headed that way.

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster. I just received the phone call with an offer this morning. Keep hope alive. I accepted a position in Denver, CO. Any other PHAP'ers headed to CO? Can't wait to meet y'all in Atlanta.

Last edited:
After an agonizing past week and a half I FINALLY got an offer for New Mexico a few hours ago!!!! Anyone else going to be there??? Im from North Carolina so Im uber excited and equally overwhelmed! Congratulations to everyone with an offer so far and to everyone still waiting, KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!!

Hey! Ive been following this post since the beginning of times but never posted. I got a call today offering my a position in Richmond, Cali. I told them I would call back and let them know tomorrow but after long and hard thinking/ consulting with fam/ finances I am accepting... soooooooooo excited!!!

Hi Everyone!

Still wondering if anyone is headed to Minneapolis or leaving Minnesota for another location? Congrats to everyone so far!!!

Hi all, I was placed in Oregon. Anyone else out there?

It's so great to hear all the acceptances rolling in so far! For everyone else waiting, good luck and keep your head up!

Hey! Ive been following this post since the beginning of times but never posted. I got a call today offering my a position in Richmond, Cali. I told them I would call back and let them know tomorrow but after long and hard thinking/ consulting with fam/ finances I am accepting... soooooooooo excited!!!

omg this is so exciting to hear everyone's good news. I am freaking out thinking about having to move from maryland to cali in one month. I was placed in San Francisco...is that near Richmond?? We need to link up

I just stayed in an apartment for a weekend in near northside, chicago recently, which seemed like it might be affordable on the salary (just a gut feeling). I also had a friend who went to school there and lived out in Bucktown, which I know is cheaper. Either way the train and bus system was very convenient everywhere we wanted to go.

omg this is so exciting to hear everyone's good news. I am freaking out thinking about having to move from maryland to cali in one month. I was placed in San Francisco...is that near Richmond?? We need to link up

Hey! It is veryyyy close I think about 15-20 min! I went to school in Maryland and live in Va so I feel overwhelmed about the move as well lol. Have you made any moving arrangements yet?

Hey! It is veryyyy close I think about 15-20 min! I went to school in Maryland and live in Va so I feel overwhelmed about the move as well lol. Have you made any moving arrangements yet?

Wow. I went to school in DC (still out here finishing my internship) but im from Atlanta. And no I have not made any travel arrangements yet. Im noticing that housing is VERY expensive and I dont know what area to stay in. I've never even been to Cali before lol. So much to do in so little time

Hey! I'm from the 2012 PHAP class placed in Oregon. Let md know if you have questions!

Dear all;
I need some connections, and I can give some too.
1. Any one placed in Albuquerque, NM, let me know I will be able to give you some help with the city, and introduce you to some people working in Public Health. Additionally, if it is someone with a family, my house will be for rent. :)
2. I was place in Batavia, OH, so if any of you know someone over there, please let me know. I have never been in Ohio, and I do not know anyone over there. :confused:

After an agonizing past week and a half I FINALLY got an offer for New Mexico a few hours ago!!!! Anyone else going to be there??? Im from North Carolina so Im uber excited and equally overwhelmed! Congratulations to everyone with an offer so far and to everyone still waiting, KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!!
I live in ABQ NM (ABQ is close to Santa Fe) let me know if you need some help.

Anyone placed in Wisconsin I can help you out if you need advice on living here. Its a much more fun and interesting place than most people think :) Anyone from LA or placed there?

Are you a disable veteran? or a spause or Are you a displace federal government employee? If you are one of those, you might qualify to have non-compete status.

I live in ABQ NM (ABQ is close to Santa Fe) let me know if you need some help.

Thanks so much! If you have housing suggestions I would love to hear them or even just general information about the area! Im debating selecting housing before i have to leave in 3 weeks (YIKES) or just getting a hotel while i look around a few days once i arrive. Im thinking below $800 is most ideal for rent. $725 is perf.

HI I am a PHAP in the 2012 class in Oregon. I am originally from Atlanta and I know how you feel about relocating. Congrats and Welcome to the Great NW.

Hello and Congrats! I am a 2012 PHAP in Oregon. My good friend Lorin just finished her PHAP fellowship and is now in Denver working for the state health department. She is an amazingly fun person. If you would like to talk to her I can give you her information. She attended grad school there and is very familiar with the area.

Hi all, I was placed in Oregon. Anyone else out there?

It's so great to hear all the acceptances rolling in so far! For everyone else waiting, good luck and keep your head up!

I am a 2012 PHAP in Oregon! CONGRATS!

I know so expensive! My sister is going to be living in the area too so luckily she is going before me to look. Yes we should link up!

Did anyone ever get this issue resolved? I still haven't been able to read my appointment letter.

I've been placed at a site near Atlanta if anyone else is headed that way.

I'm in the same boat.. and no replies from the PHAP office via phone or e-mail. seems strange. Do PHAP class of 2011/2012 people who are reading remember this happening to you? I am hesitant to go ahead with housing/flights out to Colorado until I have an official confirmation... (P.S. I'll be in Fort Collins, CO!)

Yeah I haven't heard from anyone from the PHAP office -- phone or email. The only responses I've gotten have been from current/former associates and they've been extraordinarily helpful and supportive. :)

Hello and Congrats! I am a 2012 PHAP in Oregon. My good friend Lorin just finished her PHAP fellowship and is now in Denver working for the state health department. She is an amazingly fun person. If you would like to talk to her I can give you her information. She attended grad school there and is very familiar with the area.
That would be fantastic. I will PM you.

I'm in the same boat.. and no replies from the PHAP office via phone or e-mail. seems strange. Do PHAP class of 2011/2012 people who are reading remember this happening to you? I am hesitant to go ahead with housing/flights out to Colorado until I have an official confirmation...

At this point, I haven't even told current employer/friends/relatives/landlord that I got the fellowship. I already have a decent job and a decent apartment: I'm not going to risk being unemployed and homeless on an unofficial offer of a new job somewhere else. Until I hear from PHAP/HR/host site, I'm not doing anything. And if this eventually means that I have to back out of the fellowship because I no longer have enough time to work out the logistics of the move, so be it.

It sounds as if the PHAP staff is still busy trying to fill all the fellowship slots. Hopefully, by next week, they will be less busy and more forthcoming with the information that many of us still seem to need.

I'm in the same boat.. and no replies from the PHAP office via phone or e-mail. seems strange. Do PHAP class of 2011/2012 people who are reading remember this happening to you? I am hesitant to go ahead with housing/flights out to Colorado until I have an official confirmation... (P.S. I'll be in Fort Collins, CO!)

I know a current fellow. They told me there was little communication with CDC before starting. Flight information was given less than a week before departure.