2013 ****The Official MWU-Chicago 2018 Interview/Acceptance****

when was ur app sent? what patch?

My application was verified and mailed to the schools on July 5th. I believe that's the Friday of the first batch.

Members don't see this ad.

If it's any consolation to anyone, I submitted everything on July 23 and I checked today that my app is still under review. My stats are below average. Better than a rejection at least.

Has anyone received an interview invitation or rejection since September 4th?

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview is next week, and a friend of mine was just invited last week with very limited options for dates in Nov.

Have not heard ANYTHING from this school. I am guessing that pre-Dec interview spots are all done.

Has anyone called and asked? Are apps being put on hold for further review or whatever that status thing is?

When I called a few weeks ago they said that they only had a few spot left. They may have been filled already. I completed my supplemental in the beginning of July and have been under review ever since. Has anyone been rejected or have they just placed everyone under review?

take this with a grain of salt, but I was told from a person who spoke with the admissions that they don't do December interviews, and will hold off from sending additional interviews in Jan.

take this with a grain of salt, but I was told from a person who spoke with the admissions that they don't do December interviews, and will hold off from sending additional interviews in Jan.

I am going to assume I have been rejected from this school. Ha.

I wish they send out something on the portal to all the people waiting.

I am like terrified to call.

anyone interviewing this thursday october 17, pm me.

Anybody interview yet? Mine is on Tuesday and I would really appreciate it if somebody would give me the 411 on the interview process this year!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no way to prepare for this interview. Personally, questions were beyond random. Just sleep well, have a good breakfast, have a clear mind and be yourself.

There is no way to prepare for this interview. Personally, questions were beyond random. Just sleep well, have a good breakfast, have a clear mind and be yourself.

Beyond random?! Uh oh...I don't feel good about that

Sorry. I wasn't trying to scare anyone. When I say random, topics that they posted were unexpected, not necessarily hard. Only suggestion I say is that as I stated above rest well, eat a good breakfast.

Rejected yesterday.
Came to my house, my mom had to text and tell me. Ha.

sorry to hear that. i still havent heard anything, though its probably a silent rejection bc of my DAT score

They took forever. I wish i knew I was rejected in like Sept. Ha. Just makes me work way harder for my one interview I have gotten.

What is your DAT, if you don't mind?

They took forever. I wish i knew I was rejected in like Sept. Ha. Just makes me work way harder for my one interview I have gotten.

What is your DAT, if you don't mind?

get ready for it........its a 17:eek:, kinda surprised all my applications havent thrown out yet, some I have told I will retake

for MWU-IL, even if i retake they said they could technically reject me even before I take the retake since they dont wait, which is weird bc MWU-AZ said they would wait

at least you got some interviews, knock em dead!

Ah, that's not like horrific. I feel SDN sets a bar. A high one.

You will get one soon. Don't worry!!!

Is it safe to say that if I have a letter in the mail coming from midwestern that it's most likely a rejection??

I called and they said something is on its way to me... 😑

Is it safe to say that if I have a letter in the mail coming from midwestern that it's most likely a rejection??

I called and they said something is on its way to me... 😑

:( i had that last year when i asked them to hold my app till i retook my DAT, and it was indeed a rejection. but your stats aren't even low! so don't worry about just one school :)

No

But my rc is 17

With your statistics, i wouldn't be surprised if they just threw you out because you're over qualified and they would rather use their resources for someone who is more likely to attend. Last year the they had a top enrolled GPA of 3.9 according to the ADEA guide

With your statistics, i wouldn't be surprised if they just threw you out because you're over qualified and they would rather use their resources for someone who is more likely to attend. Last year the they had a top enrolled GPA of 3.9 according to the ADEA guide

Maybe, but the rejection letter said

"due to our competitive nature of our applicants, we are unable to offer you an interview"

:laugh:

For those of you who have received a rejection letter: did the school update your status on AADSAS?

Those that have been rejected thus far, (sorry to hear that - I may be in the same boat, it's just a matter of time), when was your app complete? It seems at though it's mid July applicants and just moving down the line. Thanks.

I haven't been rejected or invited for an interview yet. But, I wonder why they are rejecting so many applicants that seem like to have a decent DAT a mediocre GPA. I thought Midwestern ILL was easier to get into in terms of GPA and DAT?

Well, as it goes on this site, it is almost impossible to understand why people are accepted or rejected from one person to the next. All anyone puts is the basic info at best. I have no idea of anyone's situation, only my own, and not to knock on anyone who has been rejected but it really could be a multitude of things. Perhaps the personal statement, misrepresentation of EC's, undisclosed information or simply that an applicant was lacking in other areas. I know everyone on here seems to get carried away with GPA and DAT stats; yeah they are important but not everything. If you seem to be a recluse on paper, it is safe to say you are like that in person. Again, this is not directed towards anyone whatsoever but simply my 2 cents on everything. I know a little much but it's so hard to really pinpoint why some are selected over others with so little information.

Well, as it goes on this site, it is almost impossible to understand why people are accepted or rejected from one person to the next. All anyone puts is the basic info at best. I have no idea of anyone's situation, only my own, and not to knock on anyone who has been rejected but it really could be a multitude of things. Perhaps the personal statement, misrepresentation of EC's, undisclosed information or simply that an applicant was lacking in other areas. I know everyone on here seems to get carried away with GPA and DAT stats; yeah they are important but not everything. If you seem to be a recluse on paper, it is safe to say you are like that in person. Again, this is not directed towards anyone whatsoever but simply my 2 cents on everything. I know a little much but it's so hard to really pinpoint why some are selected over others with so little information.

Very well put. If your Greek or were in college, the dean of admissions is like a frat or sorority rush chair. Lots of good candidates but gotta cut down to the ones that would best represent and fit in with everyone else.

The rejections might be due to not satisfying all of the prerequisites yet. This is one of the few dental school that require both anatomy and physiology 1 and 2.

The rejections might be due to not satisfying all of the prerequisites yet. This is one of the few dental school that require both anatomy and physiology 1 and 2.

I don't think that would be reason since I received an interview but not yet fulfilled my anatomy prerequisite.

From what I understand it's all random. My sister applied last cycle, got a late interview in February and got accepted. Anything can happen guys. Keep your hopes up! Also, awesome school. I just attended her white coat ceremony a few weeks ago. Great school, awesome people, amazing city. I'm waiting for my interview!

Has anyone heard anything about the interview here based on this cycles interviews? I hear they ask some very interesting questions.

Interview this Thursday! excited/nervous…

For those who interviewed, was the interview conversational or do we just talk for 8 minutes? Do they give any feedback as we speak or we just talk??

For those who interviewed, was the interview conversational or do we just talk for 8 minutes? Do they give any feedback as we speak or we just talk??
Depends on the person in the room with you. Some were very conversational, some offered a follow up prompt if you had time left, and some were content to sit and nod... so I kept talking so I wouldn't have an awkward silence!

They did not just stare at you at all. Some i talked for the entire 7 minutes (you have 1 minute to read the q and 7 minutes to talk) and some I finished early (maybe at 5 minutes) and they had follow up questions. It seemed like everyone in the group was asked the same follow up questions by the same faculty. It was a conversation for sure. I was very nervous about the fact that it was MMI, but there really is nothing to be nervous about. It was very straight forward and none of the questions were all that hard, just testing how you can think on the spot.

They did not just stare at you at all. Some i talked for the entire 7 minutes (you have 1 minute to read the q and 7 minutes to talk) and some I finished early (maybe at 5 minutes) and they had follow up questions. It seemed like everyone in the group was asked the same follow up questions by the same faculty. It was a conversation for sure. I was very nervous about the fact that it was MMI, but there really is nothing to be nervous about. It was very straight forward and none of the questions were all that hard, just testing how you can think on the spot.
Thank you. I was at the interview yesterday though lol

Just wanted to leave a comment on here as it seems that there are a few comments that have been more than a little erroneous and I can only assume this may be due to partial or complete ignorance of how the whole dental school application process typically works. The following are a few things I wanted to comment on as one who did 3 dental school application cycles before I finally got accepted into dental school and also one who is currently a member of the Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Illinois (MWU-CDMI) class of 2017 (I got accepted this last cycle). Please bare in mind, I am absolutely NOT the authority on applying and getting accepted into dental school (obviously not, or it would not have taken me 3 cycles to get in!). I just hope to clear up a few things regarding how I have known the dental school application/interview/acceptance/rejection process to work and perhaps nullify any unnecessary stress some of you may be experiencing due to your current position in this cycle. Anyways, here are a few things I saw on here that I wanted to comment on:

1. Just because you don't get an invite for interview within days or weeks of sending off your primary AADSAS application and subsequent supplemental application, it DOES NOT mean that you are completely out of the game, rejected, gone, done, should just "assume that you are going to be sent a denial letter" or that "all of the interview slots must already be handed out". Have you people no hope for or belief in yourselves??? A REJECTION LETTER means that you have been rejected, also, if you are to call and they inform you that you have been rejected, that is a pretty solid indication that you in fact will be receiving a rejection letter shortly. However, if you haven't heard back from MWU-CDMI (Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Illinois), it's been my experience that it's typically because your file is in fact still under review and NOT because they hate you or think you're a failure or are playing some cruel diabolical mind-game and just love to torture pre-dental students by intentionally not making contact with them for weeks and making them assume the worst. Believe it or not, the admissions committee most likely DOES NOT meet every single day (I'd venture to say that it's more likely a weekly thing, maybe even bi-weekly) as I can almost guarantee that they are all full-time staff (teachers, faculty, etc) with many MANY responsibilities and obligations other than just reading through and picking out applicants to interview or reject. So if you haven't received a rejection letter or been told over the phone that you're out, do yourself a favor and STOP FREAKING OUT ABOUT IT!!!! Take a cue from Journey and "Don't Stop Believin'!". Hope can do a LOT for you during the application process and is literally the sole motivating factor that got me to do a few things for myself during the tail end of this last cycle that ended up getting me accepted off of the wait list and had I not done those things, I KNOW I would be on here worrying about my application right alongside many of you!

2. Regarding the comment that "The rejections might be due to not satisfying all of the prerequisites yet.", I don't really agree with this and will just voice my opinion in hopes that it might help calm some of the fears that some of you may now have thinking that just because you don't have all the pre-reqs done yet you will be flat out rejected. It has been my experience that you only need to have all of the pre-reqs done by the time you actually matriculate, not by the day you apply.

I can almost promise all of you that you absolutely WILL NOT get rejected flat out just because you don't have all of the MWU-CDMI pre-reqs completed before you apply. That's not how they or any other school that I know or can think of roll. I applied without having completed all of the pre-reqs, and so did pretty much any and everyone I can think of in my class (MWU-CDMI of 2017) for that matter and we all got accepted. If accepted, you just need to have completed all of the pre-reqs before you step foot on campus as a 1st year dental student. That's my 2 cents on the topic anyway.

3. DO NOT POST SOMETHING ON HERE REGARDING THE APPLICATION PROCESS OR WHAT MWU-CDMI IS UP TO UNLESS YOU ARE 100% SURE OF IT OR HEARD FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH (i.e. Abbey Walters or any other staff you may talk to over the phone if you call the MWU-CDMI admissions office)!!!! One of the most stupid and needless aspects of Student Doctor Network is the tendency for pre-dents to post things like "Oh, well I heard from my brother's, friend's, uncle's, third nephew, who owns a stray cat named Scratchy that sometimes wanders in and out of the MWU College of Dental Medicine-Illinois admissions office that he heard that they are probably, most likely, maybe, and for sure going to send out acceptance letters this coming Monday! Yep, it's this Monday for sure guys, Scratchy would never let us down! I trust that informed feline of my brother's, friend's, uncle's, third nephew!". I don't know if people who post stuff like that think they are helping everyone else out, but more often than not, they just cause unnecessary stress for other applicants and their source is hardly solid at best. Last year we had a "winner" who publicly told all of us waitlisters that they had conducted April interviews (when in fact they had stopped interviewing in March) and there was somewhat of a SDN uproar and Abbey Walters herself (MWU-CDMI Senior Admissions Counselor) was kind enough to send out an email telling us that that information was incorrect and that they had in fact stopped interviewing for the year in March (as waitlisters we were all interested in the actual final interview date as we knew that meant that they would send out final acceptance letters and hopefully then start pulling from the wait list).

4. There is absolutely no magic formula for getting into MWU-CDMI or any dental school for that matter (I speak only from my experience having applied and seen MANY others do so over the course of several cycles). Some of those accepted have incredible grades, some have incredible DAT scores, some are just incredibly gifted BSers and know how to work their interviewers, and still others don't really seem to have much going for them but luck still somehow finds them. As has been stated above and I fully agree: "I know everyone on here seems to get carried away with GPA and DAT stats; yeah they are important but not everything.". I've personally known people with a 4.0 GPA and 24 AA on their DAT who have not gotten into any school, and then on the flip side, I know a person with a 17 AA on their DAT and barely a 3.3 GPA who got into the MWU-CDMI class of 2017 that I am in currently. It really is a mixed bag, and it really does take all types. Your "ticket" in could be your GPA and DAT, it could be just a decent GPA and DAT and remarkable extra-curriculars, it could be that during your interview you said something with just a couple of your interviewers that clicked with them and you guys hit it off and they went to bat hard for you when the admissions committee met following your interview. I guess what I'm trying to say is: don't count yourself out or think less of yourself-let the admissions committee do that, and chances are, you are going to be a harsher critic of yourself than they are! Long story short-sieze EVERY opportunity to get yourself accepted, be proactive, and stay positive no matter what! Worked for me, and now I'm in and going to be a dentist! :)

Anyways, sorry for posting such a long post, and if any of you have read everything preceding this sentence I thank you for your time and hope that what I said has or will help you in some way. I feel I must say that I wish it known that I have absolutely NO ties whatsoever to the MWU-CDMI admissions committee other than perhaps being instructed by some of the persons that sit on the committee as a first year dental student (I don't know if any of my instructors are or are not on the board). I do not pretend to know the ins and outs of applying to and getting into MWU-CDMI nor do I know what their tendencies, rules, methodologies or any other practices associated with the application/acceptance process are, I am only going off of what I have seen, and what worked for me!

I honestly and sincerely wish all and every single one of you the best of luck this cycle. MWU-CDMI is an incredible school with a truly caring staff that does everything they possibly can to help you see success in dental school and I am humbled and grateful to be able to call myself a first year dental student there! If I can be of any help or advisement to any of you please hit me up! Stay thirsty my friends! ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users