2013 TWU & UTMB Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi BS1048,
What do you think i will miss out on if i get to UTMB an hr late?
I would definitely call the person at UTMB who sent you the interview invite and let them know you will be an hour late due to unforeseen circumstances.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks a lot BS1048 for that info. I really didnt know how to or what to read in preparation for the essay. Mine is on Dec 7, the same day as my interview at TWU Houston. I dont know what to do or how am going to attend both interviews on the same day. Any advice will be appreciated.

Dates: TWU HOUSTON DEC 7 8AM- 1PM, UTMB GALVESTON DEC 7 1PM-6PM

I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. Could you see if you could postpone your UTMB interview? I know they have many dates. Also, I applied to TWU twice- one year I was the last one and done at 12pm, and the other year I was done at 10:30, so it could go any way. But if I recall we started at 7:30. Friday traffic can be tricky as well, so consider that. Best of luck!

Thanks alot Liztor, my fear is that they may not have much patience for me again cos i had earlier moved my UTMB interview TO DEC 7TH cos of an earlier conflict only for TWU to put their own interview on the 7th too.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could request that TWU interview you as one of the first ppl which would allow you to get to Galveston on time. UTMB has you do either the writing or interview within the first hour to hour and a half - so I'd say it's pretty important you be there for that.

Thanks txOTgal,
But dont u think its risky letting TWU know am going for another interview with a different school, dont u think they may not really consider me if they know i have another choice? TWU is my first choice so i don't really want to play with it.

Does anyone have any idea what the writing sample will be about? :confused:

Thanks txOTgal,
But dont u think its risky letting TWU know am going for another interview with a different school, dont u think they may not really consider me if they know i have another choice? TWU is my first choice so i don't really want to play with it.

I feel like it would almost show the opposite-- that youre super determined to be an OT.

I feel like it would almost show the opposite-- that youre super determined to be an OT.

Not only super determined, but also very competitive. I think the best to ask TWU if they can let you finish earlier. Hope you can work it out!

I wouldn't give TWU a specific reason for you wanting to have an earlier interview slot- just say something general stating that you'd prefer to have an early time due to previously scheduled engagements but that you're flexible and would be able to work around the interview either way. They may figure it out but they understand students do apply and interview at other schools. Even though TWU may be your favored school, it's best to put full effort towards each interview since the field is so competitive these days. Good luck!

Thanks all for your advice, i really appreciate it. i think i will go with giving them a general excuse for wanting to finish early.

Thanks all for your advice, i really appreciate it. i think i will go with giving them a general excuse for wanting to finish early.

If your interview day is as confused as ours was, don't hold your breath on getting out early. I would contact Dr. Bowyer who is the head of the OT dept in Houston and explain the circumstances to her before your interview date. She's pretty understanding and multiple interviews aren't an uncommon occurrence. If you wait until the day of your interview, you're setting yourself up for problems.

Thanks Reformed Squid,
Did u interview already for this current batch or are u from last yrs batch? if u re from last yrs batch, did u get in to the program? and if yes, could u give us some hints on wat to expect especially on what ur essay topic was? i know it will be different but knowing what it was will help a lot of us in preparing for it. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is to wish u all having interviews at UTMB tomorrow success. Please let us know how it goes.

:soexcited: Congrats on your interviews:thumbup:, Could you share how the interview process went?
I have my UTMB Interview tomorrow Nov. 30th! Any tips, what about the essay?
Wish me luck :xf::xf::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Did anyone see anyone wearing a professional looking dress to their interviews?

Thats right corgi13, i really want to know what the dress code is like.

Now I'm even more nervous. Interview went well but there were people with masters degrees and everything :eek:

Hopefully all the Houston interviews went well!! Does anyone know when we will hear back from TWU? I know they said before the holidays-- but I was curious if anyone knows a specific date? I am getting antsy. :)

Hopefully all the Houston interviews went well!! Does anyone know when we will hear back from TWU? I know they said before the holidays-- but I was curious if anyone knows a specific date? I am getting antsy. :)

I think they mentioned about 12/14. Not quite sure.

Back to Dallas from the Houston campus interview. It went well in my opinion, now the wait begins.:oops:

Hey Everyone, I just wanted to add that I have interviewed for both TWU and UTMB. I submitted my application for UTMB in September for early acceptance and in two weeks, I received my invitation for the interview. I attended the first round of interviews at UTMB and was ecstatic that it went so well. My interviewer stood up to give me a HUG at the end of the interview. :) Everyone was soooo nice and welcoming at the UTMB campus. In terms of TWU, I submitted my application in October and received an invitation for an interview on Nov 16th. I attended the interview on December 7th and was extremely impressed with the professionalism of the staff. Current students in the program had a great sense of humor and really helped alleviate all my anxiety before the interview. I am praying that I am admitted to one of these great universities. Here is some additional information about my qualifications...

Overall GPA: 3.25
Last 60 hours: 3.59
Pre-Requisite GPA: 3.75
Observation Hours: 130 hrs
Current Employment: Special Education Teacher

**Good Luck to everyone that has applied to UTMB and TWU!!! :xf: I will continue to pray for us all. God Bless

Wow! I'd love to know who your interviewer was.

hi, cperex8,
My interview at Houston was super, i believe i will be accepted by Gods grace. i was also called for interview at UTMB but was unable to attend cos it was on the same day as the interview at Houston. I had to pick one and TWU happens to be my first choice.

hi, cperex8,
My interview at Houston was super, i believe i will be accepted by Gods grace. i was also called for interview at UTMB but was unable to attend cos it was on the same day as the interview at Houston. I had to pick one and TWU happens to be my first choice.

I'm sure you did amazing...and your faith will guide you to OT :) My philosophy is, if I am not accepted, it's because I wasn't what they were looking for at the time. I know god has a plan for me and I am ready for anything. I am just thankful that I was given the opportunity to interview with such amazing applicants. Everyone there was super smart and nice. Needless to say, it was truly a privilege to interview with these schools :D

I called the school today to see if they could give any further details as to when we would get a response, they still said in the next couple weeks-- before the holidays. I am so impatient!!:shrug:

I called the school today to see if they could give any further details as to when we would get a response, they still said in the next couple weeks-- before the holidays. I am so impatient!!:shrug:

I know exactly how you feel. I am just trying to keep busy...lol

Hi J44,
I dont know of TWU Dallas, but we were told in Houston to expect a response in Jan.

Hi everyone,
I just got the highly anticipated email from TWU Houston that i have been reccommended for admission. HHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII::)

I just got an email saying that I've been recommended for the Houston MOT program!!!!!!!!! I'm beyond excited!!!!!!

I also got an email for TWU Houston saying I got recommended! So excited :)

TWU Dallas waiting list-- fantastic.

I've been recommended for TWU DALLAS!!!!!!!! So excited!

I got my letter for Houston!!!! Did y'all's say something about a wait list for Houston too?

No my letter for TWU Houston didn't say anything about a wait list.

Mine said that I have been recommended for admission to TWU in Houston.

Mine said I had been recommended but that there was also a wait list and if I wanted my application to be held if I was wait listed so I was just trying to get an idea so maybe I was wait listed:/

Hi!!
I am a sophmore at TWU denton and want to go into OT at TWU Dallas. If you don't mind me asking: What was your overall GPA, Pre-req GPA, last 60 hrs & volunteer hours?

I'm trying to figure out how to be a very competetive applicant when it's my turn. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. :)

Howdy! I had an overall GPA of 3.77, last 60 hours was 3.67, and prereq was 3.6 and I was accepted into both UTMB and TWU Dallas.
I only had about 80 observation hours in 2 different settings because I work alot. Once you get an interview, the main thing is really selling yourself. For instance, I didn't have alot of observation hours, but I work as a tutor at an elementary school and work on typing skills with a mentally challenged man. I also am involved with Special Olympics Texas. I really focused on the experiences that I've gained from these activities. Shadowing is important, but it is not everything. Do things that really benefit you and give you knowledgable experiences.