2013 TWU & UTMB Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi taypet,
Congrats on ur admissions, just curious, which one of the schools are u leaning and why?

Members don't see this ad.

A quick question...correct me if I'm wrong

From what I understand

TWU-Denton: Their OT program is only for people that went to TWU-denton for undergrad and are in the accelerated program that only takes 5 years instead of the normal 6.

TWU-Dallas and Houston: Are for everyone else?

Hello all!!

I was just seeing if anyone else was having as hard of a time as I am trying to decide which school to pick! I have been accepted to TTUHSC, TWU Dallas, and UTMB. I've pretty much narrowed it down to TWU and UTMB. I know I'd be happy anywhere but I'm just wondering which school is the better choice when it comes to preparing their students to become an OT. Any thoughts or opinions from anyone??

Members don't see this ad :)
NBCOT pass rates, class size, and if cadaver anatomy is part of the curriculum are things you might consider.
Also - the faculty/current MOT student mix that felt like the best fit for you.

Anyone know the difference between TWU-Houston & TWU-Dallas in terms of living style, public transportation, and expenses? How ethnic is the area (I don't think I can last long without an asian market around me)? Has anyone talked to students that graduated from either school about their experiences?

Thank you! I'm from California, so I can't exactly take a trip down there to see for myself. I'm hoping to apply there next year. Hopefully I'll get in with my stats:

University: CSULB
Major: Studio Arts
Overall GPA: 3.81
Last 60 GPA: 3.85-4.0 (depending if they take Credit/No Credit courses into account)
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0

Extracurriculars: None, I'm boring. I draw and paint and play around with sensors and motors though, if that counts? And I do graphic design on the side (not sure if they'll care that I made a logo for a child development research group ahah. Not.... really relevant)

Volunteer: Working as a PT/OT Aide since 08/2011.

Hi Myze,
The only major difference is the cost of living, its higher in Houston. i know this because i have lived in both cities. My advice to u is to apply to the Dallas campus but also tick on the application that u re willing to go to the Houston campus as well so that u have a better chance of getting in. I live in Dallas now but was admitted into the Houston campus cos i didnt meet the Dallas cutoff. OT is becoming more competitive everyday, if anyone had told me that a 3.7plus GPA would not meet the Dallas cutoff, i would have laughed at them, but u never know so dont put all yr eggs in one basket even if u have the best statistics , apply to all schools offering it in texas since u desire to be in this state. This is exactly what i did and i got called for interview in all 3 schools that met my criteria.
Goodluck

Hi Myze,
The only major difference is the cost of living, its higher in Houston. i know this because i have lived in both cities. My advice to u is to apply to the Dallas campus but also tick on the application that u re willing to go to the Houston campus as well so that u have a better chance of getting in. I live in Dallas now but was admitted into the Houston campus cos i didnt meet the Dallas cutoff. OT is becoming more competitive everyday, if anyone had told me that a 3.7plus GPA would not meet the Dallas cutoff, i would have laughed at them, but u never know so dont put all yr eggs in one basket even if u have the best statistics , apply to all schools offering it in texas since u desire to be in this state. This is exactly what i did and i got called for interview in all 3 schools that met my criteria.
Goodluck

Oh wow, 3.7 didn't meet the Dallas cutoff? That's crazy. But I agree with you about it being more and more competitive. It seems like that's the way it's going for a lot of graduate school programs.

I'll just be happy to be accepted into either program, since I'm only applying to TWU. I'm pretty confident in my stats, but at the same time I'm still kind of worried because you're right. You really never know what might happen, especially with the programs getting more and more selective.

In terms of the cost of living, I'm guessing its only expensive because of the location of the facilities? It's right smack dab in the middle of downtown Houston, isn't it? Anyways, thank for the helpful reply, nijagirl!

That and the fact that Houston is a much larger city and more people. If u re willing to commute from a further distance, get a roommate, the cost of living will be much manageable.

Have any of you received an interview with UTHSCSA? Do you know if the interview process will be like TWU and UTMB? Written on site essay? Number of applicants UTHSCSA interviews? Thanks for any help! Happy New Year

Hi Everyone,
This message is for all those who have been accepted to TWU Houston. Will anyone be needing a roommate? i am a female and will definitely be needing a roomate since i have to move from Dallas to Houston. If anyone is interested, please send me a personal message so we can ascertain if we will be a good roommate match.
Thanks.

Hey!

No I still haven't received anything either! have been checking my mail everyday, been so anxious to find out already!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your feedback. That helped a lot! :)

Yes. TWU Denton is only for the accelerated MOT which may be completed in 1 less year.
If accepted into the program, you will take 12 graduate OT hours your senior year.
If you are not accepted into the program, then you will take "elective" classes your senior year to satisfy your 120 hours and will have to apply elsewhere (like TWU Houston or Dallas).
But for the accelerated MOT @ denton there are specific degree plans and high GPA cutoffs. It is very competetive. Visit this website and it will help you a lot. Good luck.

http://www.twu.edu/occupational-therapy/denton-mot.asp

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on what program to choose!? I am running out of time to choose and having the hardest time making my decision. I have narrowed it down to TWU Dallas and UTMB.
My concerns are basically which school in would prepare me the most to be the best OT I can be. Also, price of living in Dallas is ridiculous.. Is it worth it? I am going back and forth between these programs every day and just can't come to a conclusion. I know they are great schools but does anyone know which graduates get hired easier/more if at all? Or if there are better networking opportunities in Dallas vs Galveston? So much to think about!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi! Congrats on you admissions and you are so blessed that you can pick your school. I have been researching UTMB and if you look at their OT website it provides videos of current and graduated OTs. Basically, because UTMB is the #1 OT school in Tx, they get substantial job offers before they even graduate. I think I ready that 2/3 of the class had about at least 4 job offers before they even graduated. I haven't found anything like that about TWU.

Hey guys! I finally got my OFFICIAL acceptance letter in today from TWU-Houston!!!! I have been stressed out about this day for years, let's just say I'm relieved!! Now I need to start trying to prepare mentally/financially for the program. I'm super excited!!!

Congrats on your admissions. Both schools have great programs. I will say that TWU has a higher national ranking than UTMB for OT. They have outstanding rates. I do know that TWU is very selective with their applicants. This year, UTMB interviewed so many ppl as opposed to TWU rejecting applicants immediately. I had 3 friends apply to TWU and all of them got rejected before even getting an interview. Everyone I know that has applied to UTMB has gotten in.

On the contrary, the staff at utmb is so nice and helpful. According to students at TWU, professors there are really stern. All in all, the vast majority of students in either program graduate and pass their board.

Location is another thing to think about when choosing a school. Good luck and god bless. :)

I received mine as well today! Super excited to meet everyone! :)

It seems u guys that live in Houston are the ones that have received theirs. Hopefully, i will get mine tomorrow.

Hello --

I am a current student and the President of the Student Occupational Therapy Association at UTMB. The UTMB MOT program is great, the faculty are caring and brilliant, and the atmosphere of Galveston is amazing! Having said this, choose the school you felt most comfortable at- that is where you will be the happiest. But, yes, UTMB is the #1 school in Texas. :)

Once you make your decision, those of you accepting seats at UTMB should all talk to each other and create a facebook page for your class. Here you can find roommates, bounce ideas back and forth and go through the waiting process together. This is extremely helpful and a great way to get to know your classmates.

I suggest you name the group "UTMB OT CLASS OF 2015" that way it comes up in the facebook search using any of the "obvious" keywords. Once this page is made, myself and other members of my class with join this group and answer any of your questions. This is a great way to get a real answer on the things you need to know or are worried about.

Feel free to send me a private message once this page is made and I will inform my class so we can join and help you in any way that we can.

Congratulations and best of luck making your decision!

Has anybody received the official acceptance letter from TWU-DALLAS? I got my acceptance email last December and checked my application status is "accepted", but hasn't received the official letter yet. kind of worried....

Has anybody received the official acceptance letter from TWU-DALLAS? I got my acceptance email last December and checked my application status is "accepted", but hasn't received the official letter yet. kind of worried....

I got my official letter in the mail today!!

Thank you for letting me know. Hopefully I will receive it soon.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, am getting really impatient. i still havent gotten my letter of acceptance from TWU-Houston. Can someone tell me how long it takes a letter from Houston to get to me in Dallas? :confused:

I haven't either I'm from FW. Did u originally apply to Dallas campus??

Thank God, i finally got my official acceptance in the mail, and yes mm21530, i originally applied to the Dallas campus but got interviewed with the Houston campus. Happy to be accepted in either campus though, knowing how competitive the program is.

I got accepted into TWU-Houston! So excited to meet all of you and start! :)

Finally received my acceptance letter in mail. So excited to meet everyone in TWU-DALLAS!

I just wanted to let you know I started the TWU Houston c/o 2015 FB page. :)

Last edited:
One quick question, are applicants accepted to TWU Houston supposed to create an online account of some sort (web advisor)? If yes, can anyone post the link for it...I got an acceptance email from TWU Houston but still haven't received the official acceptance letter ...��I'm a little confused!!!

I created an account and my status says accepted. Lol I hate when I ask questions and answer them myself. I'm super silly!!!! :)

Has anybody heard from the waitlist?

I was waitlisted and just got my email today from Houston saying a spot opened up! Of course I accepted! So thankful!

Got my email to interview at utmb on march 1! I applied for the 2nd deadline. I'm so excited, hope to see some of you there!

Hey Ot4130, I will be there, too!
So exciting :)

Hey everyone! Just wanted to start by saying congratulations to all of you that have been accepted into any of these great OT programs and also good luck to everyone still anxiously waiting for responses!

I have been accepted to TWU Dallas and plan on moving back to the area at the end of the July. I lived in the DFW Metroplex with my family before going away for undergraduate. I know how expensive and/or relatively unsafe the community which closely surrounds campus can be. Fortunately, after much research, I have finally found the most amazing rental home just 7.0 miles, 15 minutes driving time, from TWU!

I am so excited about this house! It's located in Irving in a pleasant family residential community. The house is absolutely gorgeous and completely remodeled, it has an alarm system, hardwood floors and ceramic tile throughout except for 1 bedroom which has brand-new carpet, granite countertops, ceramic tile backsplash, free lawn care and pest control, a 2-car garage w/auto door opener and full driveway, stainless steel energy star appliances-including fridge/ microwave/dishwasher/stove/oven/washer/dryer.

It is a 3bed/1bath, has a huge fenced backyard, and storage shed in the back.

My parents and I met with the owner of the home and he was very nice. He and his family and sweet yellow lab live next door. We toured the house and it was even more wonderful in person.

My dad is a police officer there and was highly impressed and expressed his approval of this area and the home.

Rent is $1300 per month plus utilities. This cost would be split evenly between myself and 2 roommates. That would be about $454/month each rent plus the cost of electricity/water/cable/internet...the usual stuff. I figure, with the added bonus of the money-saving energystar appliances and electrical throughout the house, the grand total would amount to approximately $600-$650/month each.

I must add that I am the owner of a 3 year old lovable cuddly yellow lab who will be living in the home as well.

The owner and I have scheduled an appointment the first of July to draw up the lease and sign paperwork.

I would love to have 2 TWU Dallas MOT Class of 2015 classmates as roomies but would consider other students as well.

I have all of the photos and paperwork necessary to be added to the lease allowing us to move in August 1, 2013.

Any interested ladies please contact me via direct message or my facebook page(located on my SDN profile) ASAP!

Thanks Again
TXOTLove

Ryansmom2009, I'm almost positive I'll be going to UTMB but I will know for certain in a month!

Has anyone created a UTMB Class of 2015 facebook page yet?