2014-15 Anesthesiology Applications & Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sorry, forgot to mention the program. it was tufts. I think some programs are done sending out interviews but that's definitely not the case for all

Members don't see this ad.

I've been lurking here for a while, and decided to create an account just to contribute what little I can.

I received an interview invitation from Mizzou on Tuesday. My original confirmation of application from OHSU said that their invitation process was scheduled to go through 11/15. Therefore I am holding out hope that some of these programs are still scheduling interviews.

has anyone who has called programs spoken to UF? I did an away there and still haven't heard anything, just wondering if they have filled their dates or not. I'll call tomorrow if no one has spoken to them

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone emailed/called some top/neartop tier schools and had luck w/ getting interviews? I'm wondering if it is even worth sending them an email... (like brigham)

Anyone emailed/called some top/neartop tier schools and had luck w/ getting interviews? I'm wondering if it is even worth sending them an email... (like brigham)
I called Brigham last week, they said they're still in the middle of reviewing the applications. Don't they usually send invitations later than other programs??

And anybody little concerned about the number of prelim interviews? Any idea how many is safe to match??

I called Brigham last week, they said they're still in the middle of reviewing the applications. Don't they usually send invitations later than other programs??

And anybody little concerned about the number of prelim interviews? Any idea how many is safe to match??

i wouldn't be too concerned. most anesthesiology programs are categorical.. so you dont need as many prelim interviews as other specialties. im only sitting on like 5-6 prelims. and if you do get unlucky and not match... scramble into surgery prelim. its just 1 yr..

has anyone who has called programs spoken to UF? I did an away there and still haven't heard anything, just wondering if they have filled their dates or not. I'll call tomorrow if no one has spoken to them

did you end up calling UF??

Wondering this as well. Anyone have any experience with a call vs email being more/less successful?

Reactions: 1 user
Wondering this as well. Anyone have any experience with a call vs email being more/less successful?

From my own experience, I haven't found either to be all that helpful. On the phone all they will tell you is that they are still reviewing applications or their schedule is full, either way that doesn't help you. On email you'll either get no response(most likely) or they will just say thanks for your interest in our program. I haven't had anything come from reaching out to programs at all. Maybe you'll have better luck

did you end up calling UF??

unfortunately just got the prototypical response "we are still sorting through applications at this point". Not sure what to make of it but like others said, it really didn't get me anywhere

unfortunately just got the prototypical response "we are still sorting through applications at this point". Not sure what to make of it but like others said, it really didn't get me anywhere

ya i rotated there too and no interview invite. they didnt even respond to my email. i guess they didnt like me as an applicant. Its all good though, i guess it wasnt meant to be.

ya i rotated there too and no interview invite. they didnt even respond to my email. i guess they didnt like me as an applicant. Its all good though, i guess it wasnt meant to be.

No invite after an away??? That's bad business. Unless something absolutely egregious happened of which one would know about, there's really no reason not to extend an interview to someone who put the effort, time and money in to rotate at your institution.

I would offer my encouragement to those who havent gotten a lot of invites yet. I don't think all the invitation are sent out yet, i would say only 50-70% of invites have been sent, i still think invites are gonna be sent out through november and december. There were people who even got invites in January (check last year's thread). And i got 2 invites this week, so stay positive!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would offer my encouragement to those who havent gotten a lot of invites yet. I don't think all the invitation are sent out yet, i would say only 50-70% of invites have been sent, i still think invites are gonna be sent out through november and december. There were people who even got invites in January (check last year's thread). And i got 2 invites this week, so stay positive!!!

This is encouraging. Can you say where you got the 2 invites this week?

Anyone know chances of getting an interview later off a waitlist? Not sure if good news or bad news

Anyone know chances of getting an interview later off a waitlist? Not sure if good news or bad news

At a crappy program your odds are decent. At a decent program, your odds are crappy.

Reactions: 1 users

Ive been wondering this too....i just wonder how many ppl places are placing on these "lists". Are they just using it as a rejection list or are they actually only keeping an amount who has a realistic shot at an interview

I'm going to hold on to those words for a couple more weeks and then probably return to my current state of worrying haha

I got invites at UF Jacksonville (not going), OHSU (wait list), and Mayo Jacksonville (rotating there now) this week. And I was wait listed at MUSC and got off of that one last week, so there is hope! Still haven't heard from 2/3 of the places I applied...

I'm going to hold on to those words for a couple more weeks and then probably return to my current state of worrying haha

Today I received one interview invitation, and one notice that I was waitlisted. I am becoming more hopeful that things are just moving more slowly this year. We have no choice but to stay the course.

Got an invite from Temple at 10:45 p.m. last night. Definitely the latest in the day one has come through...

Case/UH and Maine Medical Ctr came through Thalamus today (which is a really bizarre scheduling program). Case had 1 open date left, but MMC must have just sent out their first invites today, or very recently, because all the dates were wide open.

To those of you wondering about Brigham: I got an interview invitation from them last year at the beginning of November, so don't sweat it if you haven't heard from them just yet.

Got an invite from Temple at 10:45 p.m. last night. Definitely the latest in the day one has come through...

Case/UH and Maine Medical Ctr came through Thalamus today (which is a really bizarre scheduling program). Case had 1 open date left, but MMC must have just sent out their first invites today, or very recently, because all the dates were wide open.

Hey painmd87, do you know if all Temple interview slots have been filled?

Must've filled really quick because thats where I got my waitlist offer from (maine)

I got invites at UF Jacksonville (not going), OHSU (wait list), and Mayo Jacksonville (rotating there now) this week. And I was wait listed at MUSC and got off of that one last week, so there is hope! Still haven't heard from 2/3 of the places I applied...

If you don't mind me asking...why arent you going to UF Jacksonviille?

Must've filled really quick because thats where I got my waitlist offer from (maine)

They filled up same day! Why do they invite everyone on the same day for less spots? I couldn't get to thalamus for 2 hours from the email receipt and it was totally full! Ridiculous.

If you don't mind me asking...why arent you going to UF Jacksonviille?

From the residents and attendings I have been talking to, not a very good program in terms of education or prestige... and essentially all IMGs, so there is a reason they aren't getting US grads. May be great for some, but doesn't sound like the type of program I want to attend... plus I have already booked my "maximum allowed time off for interviews" for the month.

From the residents and attendings I have been talking to, not a very good program in terms of education or prestige... and essentially all IMGs, so there is a reason they aren't getting US grads. May be great for some, but doesn't sound like the type of program I want to attend... plus I have already booked my "maximum allowed time off for interviews" for the month.

Oh i see, wow. Didn't know that.

I don't know if anyone actually reads the interview day trade tab on the document so ill try here....trying to trade days at umc jackson Mississippi. ...currently have 11/12....would like any later date (12/17, 11/18, 11/19 are the later dates)

I got an invite from Case a week ago, doubt I'll get to go though. They had one spot open for one date by the time I was able to create a thalamus account (2 hrs after invite) and I couldn't make it. I've been on the waitlist for about 7 dates since then. A spot opened up in the middle of the night a few nights ago, but I didn't hear my phone buzz. I'm pretty sure my sanity is worth more than that system.

Does it really take Rush 7 days to respond to give you your interview date?? Thanks very long since most have to book a flight......I was wondering if anyone tried calling them to ask?

Does it really take Rush 7 days to respond to give you your interview date?? Thanks very long since most have to book a flight......I was wondering if anyone tried calling them to ask?
These are the kinds of things you should be writing down so you remember them when it comes time to make your rank list in February.

These are the kinds of things you should be writing down so you remember them when it comes time to make your rank list in February.
Thats an excellent point! Didn't think of that til you said it

Last invite was on Oct. 21st, haven't heard anything except a rejection from Colorado since. Starting to think I hit my ceiling on interview invites (currently at 9). Still waiting on Ohio State...

I've heard some touchy things about Wake lately with regards to their financial situation, that several faculty had been forced into early retirement, their chair was recently fired, etc. I was curious if anyone had any thoughts on this or if any of your PDs had commented on this at all or if this was going to influence anyone's decision to interview or rank the program.

Financial situation is fine. Attendings just got a raise, actually. Dr. Tobin, the chair, did decide to retire a couple months back but we are currently in the process of hiring a chair in the next six months. Looking at both internal and external candidates. Our interim chair was the chair before Tobin, and so he is well acquainted and by no means "green" as a chair. Given that our program is a top program and has created 13 prior or current chairs at other programs it will be a highly sought after position. Not to mention, that our program director is an incredible program director with an educationally focused initiative.

As a current CA-2 I can tell you this in no way has effected our training. Our training program is as strong as it has ever been, and would put myself and my colleagues up against anyone in the country in terms of our airway skills (you haven't seen an awake fiberoptic until you have seen a Wake awake fiberoptic), regional skills (OB, acute, chronic pain), and case management. A top 10 program in the most affordable city in the country with a residency program. Hard to beat. I plan on staying on as faculty, if that gives any evidence of how unconcerned I am about the past couple of years and how optimistic (despite NOT being an optimist) I am about our current direction. The recession and changes in health care have hit everyone hard. We were no exception, but certainly in no worse place than any other institution and certainly in a better place than many others in the southeast.

PM me with any questions. Always happy to give an honest opinion.

Just an anecdote on calling/e-mailing programs.... I e-mailed somewhere on Sunday about my application. Today, the e-mail bounced back as undeliverable. 3 minutes after the undeliverable notice returned to me, I got an interview invitation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: 1 users

I would definitely call the program coordinator. I emailed my date requests the day of the interview invite (a Wednesday) and followed up on the Friday via email. Still not a peep by Monday so I called on Tuesday. My interview was scheduled over the phone, but I never received a follow-up email. I thought there might be a "day before the interview" type of email, but when I didn't receive anything by that morning before, I called the program coord. I couldn't get through and ended up calling the main Rush line, asking to get transferred to the anesthesiology dept. and having one of the staff tell me they didn't see me scheduled. The staff member was very helpful and was able to add me on to the day--but honestly, I was a little freaked out that I almost wasn't in the schedule for the interview. Have learned from that experience to definitely have an email confirmation sooner rather than later.

I called a program yesterday afternoon. Got an invite that evening from them. Calling DOES help. I got the Duke rejection too... Can't get 'em all! I honestly prefer to hear back, rejection or invite, versus not hear anything at all... at least I KNOW they saw my application and where I stand. But thats just me... I hate waiting and the unknown.

I called a program yesterday afternoon. Got an invite that evening from them. Calling DOES help. I got the Duke rejection too... Can't get 'em all! I honestly prefer to hear back, rejection or invite, versus not hear anything at all... at least I KNOW they saw my application and where I stand. But thats just me... I hate waiting and the unknown.

What is your dialogue like with these schools? Are you calling the program coordinator and asking for an interview? Just curious, thanks.

Does anyone know if UChicago has given out all their interviews? I haven't heard from them yet (even after emailing them).

Also, does anyone know how likely it is to get off the waitlist at Northwestern? (Guess where I want to live!)

What is your dialogue like with these schools? Are you calling the program coordinator and asking for an interview? Just curious, thanks.

I call and ask about the status of my application, since I haven't heard back from them and am "still very interested in interviewing at their program." Then they either say, "Oh, let me take a look," or "we are still in the middle of reviewing applications. If you haven't heard from us, you are still in the running and will hear back between now and January." If they take a look, a lot of times they pass it on to the PD or whoever else to review, and you hear back soon afterward. If they say the latter, I say something like, "Okay, well I would really appreciate if you could make a note in my file that I called and am still very interested in your program because blah blah blah." I've gotten 4 out of 11 interviews by calling programs, and emailed all of my top choice programs to express interest since my geographical location currently is not in line with where I want to end up. Has worked for me so far!