2014-15 Anesthesiology Applications & Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Feels like most programs have filled up interview slots and those without rejections are on their standby lists.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an ERAS message from Loma Linda:
Dear Applicant:

You were sent an invitation to interview in mid-October, but we have not heard back from you. Due to several ERAS glitches we have encountered this season, I am emailing you to confirm that you actually received the invitation from our institution. At this time, all interview dates are full, but please let me know if any of the dates below work for you and I will add you to the waiting list(s).

... I sincerely apologize if you, in fact, did not receive the invitation. Please let me know.

I never heard from them before today. I AM SO MAD AT ERAS RIGHT NOW AND WONDERING IF I AM MISSING INVITES FROM OTHER PROGRAMS TOO. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the Case Western interview normally ends? They didn't include the info with their confirmation email or on their website but it would be helpful with my planning.

Rejected this week from Columbia, Cornell and Sinai. It's frustrating to be just a few test questions away from being competitive at these programs. I feel like I could hang there, but I guess they can't invite everyone. Oh well.

Hi! Just wondering for those of you who have gone to the MGH interview- do you you know if it legitimately ends around 4:30 or if it ends a bit earlier than that? There was no sample schedule provided in the email and my travel schedule is a little bit more cramped than I'd like.

anyone with past experience have any luck with requesting an appeal with UCSF?

anyone with past experience have any luck with requesting an appeal with UCSF?

Why would you want to do that? It sounds like even if you got an interview after the appeal, it would be so awkward.

Number one choice for residency. Rejection email specifically states appeals were accepted. Just hoping for any sliver of a chance would be better than nothing at all. Though I do have to agree that even if you do get an interview after the appeal, I think the chances of matching there are really low since you weren't an ideal candidate to begin with.

Does anyone know how to fix the google spreadsheet (states and schools are not matching). And to whoever is doing the screwing up of the spreadsheet, please stop?

Reactions: 1 user
Got invites to UPenn and UT San Antonio today... wrote them both letters of interest and had my PD talk to their PD over the weekend :) So don't give up hope!!! and San Antonio had told me last week they were all filled with interview spots. U of Chicago told me their spots are all full though currently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Number one choice for residency. Rejection email specifically states appeals were accepted. Just hoping for any sliver of a chance would be better than nothing at all. Though I do have to agree that even if you do get an interview after the appeal, I think the chances of matching there are really low since you weren't an ideal candidate to begin with.
I appealed my rejection a few years ago and got an interview. They didn't mention anything about it when I interviewed, I was just treated like another one of the applicants. If it is truly your number one choice for residency then go for it. I ended up ranking them below my top 5 and matched at my #1 so I'll never know if I was competitive there or not.

On another note, has anyone heard from prelim or transitional year programs? Because I have only heard from 3 (2 invites, 1 rejection), and I applied to 20... ???

Does anyone know how to fix the google spreadsheet (states and schools are not matching). And to whoever is doing the screwing up of the spreadsheet, please stop?

I was noticing the spreadsheet looked all mixed up, too! Just looked at it a few minutes ago and it seemed better, but went ahead and rearranged the last few rows of misplaced programs so that they match up with states. Hope this helps and that the google doc creator doesn't mind :)

For anyone that has interviewed at Yale. I'm trying to coordinate travel to and from New Haven. The e-mail says that the interview ends around 2pm, but I'm wondering if this is actually when it ends or if I can expect it to end much earlier as it often has at other places I've interviewed. Thanks.

On another note, has anyone heard from prelim or transitional year programs? Because I have only heard from 3 (2 invites, 1 rejection), and I applied to 20... ???

I have 6 prelim medicine invites. I only applied prelim med, so I don't know anything about transitional years. But essentially all of my prelim invites are at locations within a short drive from my med school.

I have 6 prelim medicine invites. I only applied prelim med, so I don't know anything about transitional years. But essentially all of my prelim invites are at locations within a short drive from my med school.
OK, yea I am trying to match out of state and I have heard from the 2 that are close to me, so... not really sure what to do. I really don't know that I have the money to interview out of state for prelims, and I assume most of us will match categorical, in which case it won't matter anyway, but still... it kind of makes me nervous just having 2.

Why does anesthesia have so many CA-1 positions in the match? I mean for physician only spots where you start as a CA-1 in the same year (not advanced or categorical)
Are these new spots? Spots from people leaving?

I realize this may not be the best place to post this, but it seemed somewhat appropriate. I'd appreciate any insight. With all the negative talk on this forum (especially in some recent threads) in regard to the future of gas, what's driving you to pursue this as a career? Is the negativity exaggerated? Gas seems like such a cool specialty.

- a confused MS3

I realize this may not be the best place to post this, but it seemed somewhat appropriate. I'd appreciate any insight. With all the negative talk on this forum (especially in some recent threads) in regard to the future of gas, what's driving you to pursue this as a career? Is the negativity exaggerated? Gas seems like such a cool specialty.

- a confused MS3
Its not a dying field... there will always be a need for anesthesiologists. Its just more managerial now and fellowships are needed to promote your worth. Cardiac cases will always need an MD / DO... Pain is another option as well as critical care. As far as peds and OB, I am not so sure, but the field is definitely still going and a great career option as long as you can also handle managing nurses... the CRNAs are here to stay.

Its not a dying field... there will always be a need for anesthesiologists. Its just more managerial now and fellowships are needed to promote your worth. Cardiac cases will always need an MD / DO... Pain is another option as well as critical care. As far as peds and OB, I am not so sure, but the field is definitely still going and a great career option as long as you can also handle managing nurses... the CRNAs are here to stay.

Yea there are turf wars in every specialty. "Get over it and do what you love. " -Michael Scott

- a confused MS3

like others have said, the field will never die. People who are not familiar with it misinterpret 'change' to mean 'dying', but in reality the need for anesthesiologists will always be there. the future will definitely be managing more than anything else, but it doesn't mean opportunities to do more hands on stuff won't be there. Like someone else touched on earlier, if you are worried that you may feel more of a manager than a doctor, do a fellowship in hearts, pain or critical care and then you will be 1) highly sought after with the way things are going 2) less managing and more doing cases and procedures yourself. I was like you about a year ago but after reading enough articles and literature about the field, I'm even more excited to get into it. Yes, the CRNAs are here to stay, but do you really want to be doing lap choles your whole career or would you rather manage a couple rooms doing bread and butter cases (still getting paid for them) and then have one room with a very complicated case that really makes you use the intellect and skill that got you your MD/DO in the first place.

Reactions: 2 users
like others have said, the field will never die. People who are not familiar with it misinterpret 'change' to mean 'dying', but in reality the need for anesthesiologists will always be there. the future will definitely be managing more than anything else, but it doesn't mean opportunities to do more hands on stuff won't be there. Like someone else touched on earlier, if you are worried that you may feel more of a manager than a doctor, do a fellowship in hearts, pain or critical care and then you will be 1) highly sought after with the way things are going 2) less managing and more doing cases and procedures yourself. I was like you about a year ago but after reading enough articles and literature about the field, I'm even more excited to get into it. Yes, the CRNAs are here to stay, but do you really want to be doing lap choles your whole career or would you rather manage a couple rooms doing bread and butter cases (still getting paid for them) and then have one room with a very complicated case that really makes you use the intellect and skill that got you your MD/DO in the first place.

i'm not sure about the highly sought for part. even w/ fellowships, jobs are pretty tight these days. and though still minority, more places are letting CRNA practice independently, including cardiac

i'm not sure about the highly sought for part. even w/ fellowships, jobs are pretty tight these days. and though still minority, more places are letting CRNA practice independently, including cardiac

Is it really that difficult to find a job in anesthesiology these days?

Is it really that difficult to find a job in anesthesiology these days?

depends. if you are willing to locate to a town in the middle of no where then prob not. but i read in a major job agency article that anesthesiology jobs dropped below top 20 demanded specialty a couple of yrs ago or something. and it was the first time ever this happened since they started doing the study.
even CRNAs are more in demand.
and look on gasworks, not that many jobs. every year like 1600 new anesthesiologists graduate??

here is what the article says
"
Though demand remains strong for most types of physicians, it is not strong across the board.
Two notable exceptions are anesthesiology and radiology. In 2003, anesthesiology was among
Merritt Hawkins’ top four search assignments. This year, for the fi rst time, it did not fall into the
top 20.
The economic factors described above have reduced the number of procedures requiring
anesthesia, depressing the need for anesthesiologists. Nevertheless, interest in the specialty
among medical graduates remains high, as anesthesiology is attractive for its set hours and
comparatively high incomes, ensuring a ready supply of new physicians. Most compromising
to demand for anesthesiologists, however, is the use of certifi ed registered nurse anesthetists
(CRNAs), who now administer 65 percent of all anesthetics nationwide, according to the
American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (AANA), and are particularly prevalent in smaller,
rural communities. As more states opt out of the federal rule requiring CRNAs to be supervised
by physicians (see chart below), use of CRNAs can be expected to continue."

depends. if you are willing to locate to a town in the middle of no where then prob not. but i read in a major job agency article that anesthesiology jobs dropped below top 20 demanded specialty a couple of yrs ago or something. and it was the first time ever this happened since they started doing the study.
even CRNAs are more in demand.
and look on gasworks, not that many jobs. every year like 1600 new anesthesiologists graduate??

here is what the article says
"
Though demand remains strong for most types of physicians, it is not strong across the board.
Two notable exceptions are anesthesiology and radiology. In 2003, anesthesiology was among
Merritt Hawkins’ top four search assignments. This year, for the fi rst time, it did not fall into the
top 20.
The economic factors described above have reduced the number of procedures requiring
anesthesia, depressing the need for anesthesiologists. Nevertheless, interest in the specialty
among medical graduates remains high, as anesthesiology is attractive for its set hours and
comparatively high incomes, ensuring a ready supply of new physicians. Most compromising
to demand for anesthesiologists, however, is the use of certifi ed registered nurse anesthetists
(CRNAs), who now administer 65 percent of all anesthetics nationwide, according to the
American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (AANA), and are particularly prevalent in smaller,
rural communities. As more states opt out of the federal rule requiring CRNAs to be supervised
by physicians (see chart below), use of CRNAs can be expected to continue."

Thats actually very alarming to me. I went and read the report you were talking about and it looks like anesthesiology has persistently been in a downward spiral for jobs over the past 4-5 years after being one of the highest recruited specialties 10-15 years ago. I was aware that the crna situation exists but I had no idea it was decreasing the amount of anesthesia jobs this way. Im not trying to start a whole sky is falling down type thing but how concerned are current residents out there with being able to find a job remotely near where you want and not having to move into the middle of nowhere just to find work?

Thats actually very alarming to me. I went and read the report you were talking about and it looks like anesthesiology has persistently been in a downward spiral for jobs over the past 4-5 years after being one of the highest recruited specialties 10-15 years ago. I was aware that the crna situation exists but I had no idea it was decreasing the amount of anesthesia jobs this way. Im not trying to start a whole sky is falling down type thing but how concerned are current residents out there with being able to find a job remotely near where you want and not having to move into the middle of nowhere just to find work?

i think it is a concern, its hard to predict where the future lies since 4-5 yrs of training is a long time. i think thats one reason why this forum has been negative compared to some other specialty forums. and of course especially w/ the healthcare changes, its even harder to predict. my feeling when i talk to residents is that since they are already in the field, they try not to worry so much about it since its not like they are gonna drop out. one thing that concerns me personally is how quickly residency spots for anesthesia is increasing

i think it is a concern, its hard to predict where the future lies since 4-5 yrs of training is a long time. i think thats one reason why this forum has been negative compared to some other specialty forums. and of course especially w/ the healthcare changes, its even harder to predict. my feeling when i talk to residents is that since they are already in the field, they try not to worry so much about it since its not like they are gonna drop out. one thing that concerns me personally is how quickly residency spots for anesthesia is increasing

I can understand that. Ive tried to use gaswork as kind of a anesthesiology job market barometer through my years as a med student and it appears that the amount seems steady but what other or better sources for anesthesiology job market barometers so to speak are out there?

I can understand that. Ive tried to use gaswork as kind of a anesthesiology job market barometer through my years as a med student and it appears that the amount seems steady but what other or better sources for anesthesiology job market barometers so to speak are out there?

nothing i know of. i think best way is just talk to as many graduating residents as possible. see how many end up w/o jobs, or how late they are getting offers. im not sure when ppl get jobs, but last year ive talked to some CA3s and some ppl were still looking (that was in april which is pretty close to graduation..). but of course there are also others w/ jobs lined up pretty early

Not to be a Scrooge, but could we maybe split off the "future of the speciality" discussion into another thread and keep this one focused on this year's application specifics?

Thanks!

Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone,

I have an interview date on Dec 5 but I have a family emergency situation arise for that day but I really want to interview at UTSW is there ANYONE with a UTSW interview who would be willing to switch with me on any date. Please let me know ASAP. Please PM me!

Thanks,

Hi everyone,

I have an interview date on Dec 5 but I have a family emergency situation arise for that day but I really want to interview at UTSW is there ANYONE with a UTSW interview who would be willing to switch with me on any date. Please let me know ASAP. Please PM me!

Thanks,

I would call and see if they have any available dates first.

-coco

Last edited:
Just curious, for ppl who interviewed at Hopkins, do you always get a post interview letter from the pd??
I received a post-interview letter via ERAS that had a couple lines about my personal interview with them in the first paragraph and then the rest of the letter seemed pretty generic..

Just got an ERAS message from Loma Linda:
Dear Applicant:

You were sent an invitation to interview in mid-October, but we have not heard back from you. Due to several ERAS glitches we have encountered this season, I am emailing you to confirm that you actually received the invitation from our institution. At this time, all interview dates are full, but please let me know if any of the dates below work for you and I will add you to the waiting list(s).

... I sincerely apologize if you, in fact, did not receive the invitation. Please let me know.

I never heard from them before today. I AM SO MAD AT ERAS RIGHT NOW AND WONDERING IF I AM MISSING INVITES FROM OTHER PROGRAMS TOO. :mad:
Happened to me last year with loma Linda, didn't see their interview invite until about a month after it was sent. Only program I had that issue with

any of you folk want to comment on your experience at JHU interview? Laidback? Grill session?

Anyone who interviewed at st Luke's Roosevelt know if there was a pre interview dinner? I haven't rec d any information about it and it's coming up pretty soon

Anyone who interviewed at st Luke's Roosevelt know if there was a pre interview dinner? I haven't rec d any information about it and it's coming up pretty soon
no preinterview dinner. But they do have one of the best interview day lunches Ive had.

Is a step 1 of 229 ok for any programs in NYC or Texas? Actually, is it competitive for any programs at all? Thanks!

Have the interview invites all been handed out or are people still seeing a few trickle in?