2014-15 Anesthesiology Applications & Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Different applicants have different priorities and I highly doubt everyone would agree with you on the training. I'd really be surprised that in this day and age geography plays that large of a role, but maybe you're right. Good luck with your interviews.

Geography does play a huge role. I would imagine that it'd be less so for top programs because they can figure that applicants would be willing to move cross-country to train there. For lesser programs though, they can't count on that. Also, if your stats are off the charts, programs probably care less where you're from, too.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an IMG, so I didn't want to take any chances. I contacted my top 6 or 7 I hadn't heard from, ended up interviewing at 5 of those I had contacted, and matched at one of them. If I had not contacted that program, I likely would've never gotten that interview and would not be there now.

When did you start contacting programs? Did you call or did you email the PD expressing your interest?

When did you start contacting programs? Did you call or did you email the PD expressing your interest?

Late October - Mid November. NEVER contact the PD. I'm sure some will have differing opinions on that, but I think you're much better off contacting the coordinator. I emailed the coordinator if I could get their email (the case for most), only called 1 or 2 that I couldn't get an email address.

Members don't see this ad :)
Late October - Mid November. NEVER contact the PD. I'm sure some will have differing opinions on that, but I think you're much better off contacting the coordinator. I emailed the coordinator if I could get their email (the case for most), only called 1 or 2 that I couldn't get an email address.
Thanks for sharing. Do you list your credential in the email at all? or just express your interest?

Best of luck to all this years applicants! Don't get too freaked out if you haven't gotten any interview invites yet. They are coming. I didn't get my first one till around now last year, and most of them didn't come until October. I will say that if you get an interview invite, schedule your interview as quickly as possible - it appears as though there are several programs that send out more invites than they have spots for. If you wait too long, they might have filled up. Here are a couple of other bits of input on discussions I saw in the thread:

I did not get asked a single anesthesia related question during interviews. Most all of them were very relaxed, getting to know you, asking if you had any questions about the program - which sometimes was asked a ridiculously high number of times!

A guys perspective on the dinners: I always did slacks and a shirt +/- tie... usually the tie was overkill. They were all at pretty nice places, but many times some of the residents were in jeans. If I were doing it all over again, I wouldn't wear jeans, but I'd do less dressy khakis and a nice shirt. I rarely saw applicants in suits for the dinners.

All of the programs I interviewed at paid for all/most of the hotel. I didn't go to any interviews in big cities though (NY, Chicago, etc). I got Chicago invites (Northwestern, University of Chicago), and I'm pretty sure they didn't offer hotels... ended up turning them down b/c I decided I didn't want to live in Chicago. I didn't apply to any NY, LA, etc programs.

Hope that helps, I'll try and keep up on this thread and give my input where it might be helpful.

Good luck and enjoy the interview season!

Reactions: 3 users
Best of luck to all this years applicants! Don't get too freaked out if you haven't gotten any interview invites yet. They are coming. I didn't get my first one till around now last year, and most of them didn't come until October. I will say that if you get an interview invite, schedule your interview as quickly as possible - it appears as though there are several programs that send out more invites than they have spots for. If you wait too long, they might have filled up. Here are a couple of other bits of input on discussions I saw in the thread:

I did not get asked a single anesthesia related question during interviews. Most all of them were very relaxed, getting to know you, asking if you had any questions about the program - which sometimes was asked a ridiculously high number of times!

A guys perspective on the dinners: I always did slacks and a shirt +/- tie... usually the tie was overkill. They were all at pretty nice places, but many times some of the residents were in jeans. If I were doing it all over again, I wouldn't wear jeans, but I'd do less dressy khakis and a nice shirt. I rarely saw applicants in suits for the dinners.

All of the programs I interviewed at paid for all/most of the hotel. I didn't go to any interviews in big cities though (NY, Chicago, etc). I got Chicago invites (Northwestern, University of Chicago), and I'm pretty sure they didn't offer hotels... ended up turning them down b/c I decided I didn't want to live in Chicago. I didn't apply to any NY, LA, etc programs.

Hope that helps, I'll try and keep up on this thread and give my input where it might be helpful.

Good luck and enjoy the interview season!

Thanks for the advice!

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for helping with formatting and filling out the relevant information on the Google doc. My stats are anonymous on there since I post pretty regularly elsewhere on SDN. Good luck, everybody!

Thanks for sharing. Do you list your credential in the email at all? or just express your interest?

No, just told them I'm interested and pointed out anything specific about their program I liked to make it seem more personal and less of a "net casting."

Reactions: 1 user
what's the match percentage for anesthesia.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think this upcoming week and the following one will be very busy with invites for many applicants..

do programs go off of previous matched stats to invite applicants? i feel as if everyone wants the 260 step 1s but everyone cant have them. i guess after the first couple of weeks of sending invites to everyone with a 255+ programs would have to start screening for stats that are inline with previous yrs

The only thing I'm wondering about in regards to invites is....

Reactions: 3 users
What's the deal with all of these acknowledment of receiving application emails, and why am I getting them twice??

why-tell-me-you-have-feelings-for-me-in-the-first-place-if-you-are-just-going-to-tease-me-then-ignore-me-thumb.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Rejection from MUSC. They must have really hated all my leadership, research, and work experience, considering they don't have my dean's letter and don't even know my class rank or 3rd year Honors yet. ;)

What's the deal with all of these acknowledment of receiving application emails, and why am I getting them twice??

why-tell-me-you-have-feelings-for-me-in-the-first-place-if-you-are-just-going-to-tease-me-then-ignore-me-thumb.jpg
I was wondering about that too- I think it's probably for programs that have categorical and advanced positions.

Rejection from MUSC. They must have really hated all my leadership, research, and work experience, considering they don't have my dean's letter and don't even know my class rank or 3rd year Honors yet. ;)

When would be a good time to contact a school for a second look after being rejected?

For those of you with Columbia invites- did they ever confirm your interview choices? I'm not sure when would be a good time to re-contact :)

Called this afternoon and left a message. They got back to me and I got my second choice date which will work OK. I'd call that number on the bottom of the invite if I were you

2 rejections in one day. My rejection count is now higher than my interview invites. Well its a good thing I applied to 100+ programs!

More activity today, really makes me wish my offspring didn´t make my cell phone disappear...

(One prelim invite/one rejection wayne state)

Stanford and Hopkins people who got invites, can you post the dates they gave you?? Thanks!

Just booked a few flights. I am now second-guessing how many interviews I should be going on. I can't afford this at all.

Just booked a few flights. I am now second-guessing how many interviews I should be going on. I can't afford this at all.

must be nice to have "booked a few flights." youve booked more flights than ive gotten interviews and rejections combined

No phone invites here, but I think someone said Emory called? I'd still try to find a phone solution that will take less than a month.

Prelim invites are finally starting to surface now.

Contacted MUSC and was offered an invite to interview, but they are all full for dates already so I am waitlisted... did they really fill all their spots for interviews before Dean's letters even went out? That seems strange...

Contacted MUSC and was offered an invite to interview, but they are all full for dates already so I am waitlisted... did they really fill all their spots for interviews before Dean's letters even went out? That seems strange...
Did they formally reject you and then you contacted them?

Slow day, huh? Was expecting more activity this week... Programs must be waiting for Dean's Letters tomorrow

2 emails from same program within 1 min of each other = hello, were sifting through apps, u may hear from us or not
1 email from a program: hey come in for a talk! or thanks but no thanks...

seems like i shouldnt even bother to log into myeras if i see 2 emails within 1 min

Still no invites here, just one rejection and a bunch of emails from Temple telling me they'll start inviting mid-October ;)

And yes, I've heard several programs tend to fill their spots early on in the hopes that high scoring students will feel committed to interview there. From what I've heard this is often the issue at UF, but they haven't filled their program via the match in the past few years. Not sure why, maybe because they're only interviewing very high scoring people who don't rank them at the top? Who knows, but it's supposedly a very good program with lots of fellowship opportunities, so that's the only thing I can think.

hoping its not since i didn't get an invite.

Spots open up as people with higher scores drop interviews for more prestigious program invites. Many of the upper tier schools (clearly not all of them, considering the ones that have sent invites) wait until after the dean's letter comes out.