2014-15 Anesthesiology Applications & Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still no invites here, just one rejection and a bunch of emails from Temple telling me they'll start inviting mid-October ;)

And yes, I've heard several programs tend to fill their spots early on in the hopes that high scoring students will feel committed to interview there. From what I've heard this is often the issue at UF, but they haven't filled their program via the match in the past few years. Not sure why, maybe because they're only interviewing very high scoring people who don't rank them at the top? Who knows, but it's supposedly a very good program with lots of fellowship opportunities, so that's the only thing I can think.

thats what i figured.. that programs shotgun the high step 1s early and dont fill in the end

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
really? these programs that fill all their spots pre MSPE dont get snagged come match time?

It's entirely possible that they filled their current interview dates. However, looking at the google doc, only Nov, Dec dates are listed as options for many programs. So, most likely, they will start inviting people for january dates in the next few weeks after they process MSPEs.

2 emails from same program within 1 min of each other = hello, were sifting through apps, u may hear from us or not
1 email from a program: hey come in for a talk! or thanks but no thanks...

seems like i shouldnt even bother to log into myeras if i see 2 emails within 1 min

Solid theory. Got the double "Thanks for applying. Maybe you'll hear from us later. Maybe not," from Missouri-KC and Temple. I wish they didn't feel the need to send these as secure messages.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who received a Louisville invite, did you receive a confirmation email about your chosen date(s)?

Never heard back from them today

Spots open up as people with higher scores drop interviews for more prestigious program invites. Many of the upper tier schools (clearly not all of them, considering the ones that have sent invites) wait until after the dean's letter comes out.

do people call in to express interest or ask for interview

rejected by medical college of georgia. noticed they downloaded my application 10 minutes before i got the rejection email. somehow i think they just stole my money.

Does anyone know - what does it mean when an ERAS ADTS file name is shaded in gray or the "available to program" text is purple (instead of the normal gray)? Thanks,

Does anyone know - what does it mean when an ERAS ADTS file name is shaded in gray or the "available to program" text is purple (instead of the normal gray)? Thanks,
Apparently nothing....at least according to the ERAS folks. I know some people who inquired about this and that was the response given. Take it for what its worth

anybody receive confirmation for Cornell interview dates?

So, apparently there's some loser troll who thinks its funny to put my name as having interviews at rather competitive programs in the spread sheet. So if you guys see my name anywhere on the spreadsheet its not me. I'm no longer gonna post on it and I've removed all my stats and stuff. Cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know if going to the ASA conference could snag an interview or two? ive never been and am not sure if programs will have tables set up

My name was placed, by someone else, next to Hopkins. I appreciate the vote of confidence and all, but...

Does anyone know who and how many programs will be there? Thanx!

So, apparently there's some loser troll who thinks its funny to put my name as having interviews at rather competitive programs in the spread sheet. So if you guys see my name anywhere on the spreadsheet its not me. I'm no longer gonna post on it and I've removed all my stats and stuff. Cheers!

My name was placed, by someone else, next to Hopkins. I appreciate the vote of confidence and all, but...

Sorry, guys. I am a bit disappointed that somebody's actually going in and doing that stuff considering Anesthesiology has some of the most chill personalities in medicine, but I guess with that many people viewing and editing the sheet, there's bound to be a gunner or two. I could edit the permissions, but I will probably be too busy to keep up with everyone's updates. I think the sheet has been useful, especially in regards to seeing which programs interview before the MSPE, but with the volume of information it has now along with the anonymous edits, there will most likely be some misinformation. Glad you guys caught it. Take heed, everyone.

Has anyone heard back for a confirmation on interview date for Cedars Sinai?

This is a shot in the dark....but is there anyone who has an interview at University of Miami on Friday December 12 who would want to switch for Wednesday December 10?

What should I do when the program coordinator does not leave a specific email address in the ERAS message center invitation? If I just hit reply to respond to an interview invitation, is that good enough?

What should I do when the program coordinator does not leave a specific email address in the ERAS message center invitation? If I just hit reply to respond to an interview invitation, is that good enough?
That's what I did...worked for me. But if you do not receive a confirmation email within a day, I would search for the coordinator's email address and touch base

Yep, that's how I've been doing it, and it's worked so far. Although 3 times is a small sample size :(

i vote to have all CRNA's removed so that the # of residency spots can be tripled. it's a real travesty they even managed to make a nitch for themselves in a physician specialty.

Hey Folks,
Can someone advice on how to view LOR uploaded to ERAS by an attending. I have not waived the rights to view it and still cannot view it.Strangely its available to assign to programs.

BTW,got my 1st invite from Jackson Maimi

Last edited:
Hey thanks for creating the google document. Did you lock it then? I was just about to edit on the document but I think it's "view-only" now. Thanks again and I'm not sure why people would do something like that... =/

Sorry, guys. I am a bit disappointed that somebody's actually going in and doing that stuff considering Anesthesiology has some of the most chill personalities in medicine, but I guess with that many people viewing and editing the sheet, there's bound to be a gunner or two. I could edit the permissions, but I will probably be too busy to keep up with everyone's updates. I think the sheet has been useful, especially in regards to seeing which programs interview before the MSPE, but with the volume of information it has now along with the anonymous edits, there will most likely be some misinformation. Glad you guys caught it. Take heed, everyone.

Is anyone else having some real trouble right now with this Thalamus website that a few programs are using?

Edit: Some bumps for the first 45 minutes, but I was eventually able to register and get some decent dates! I guess that'll happen when you have a good number of neurotic med students bombarding your website.

Last edited:
Sheet has been very very useful. Love it. I just wish whatever clown is changing other people's data would at least explain what your point is. My stats have been changed a handful of times already. There's trolling... and there's this. I don't get it.

Hey thanks for creating the google document. Did you lock it then? I was just about to edit on the document but I think it's "view-only" now. Thanks again and I'm not sure why people would do something like that... =/

I didn't lock it. It can still be edited as I'm seeing a few edits happening right now.

I see that someone changed my Step 1 score to a lower value, so take those columns with a grain of salt. I'm going to try to see if I can track down the offender.

so besides cedars, are those stanford and uc davis invites real? why no california love?!

Anyone willing to trade Mayo-Rochester interview dates? I'm scheduled for 12/9 but looking to interview in October as my significant other and I are trying to "couples match" (she's fellowship matching and her rank list is due in november).

I didn't lock it. It can still be edited as I'm seeing a few edits happening right now.

I see that someone changed my Step 1 score to a lower value, so take those columns with a grain of salt. I'm going to try to see if I can track down the offender.

Whatever is happening might be due to having many users unfamiliar with spreadsheets. It's possible that people are sorting columns to compare data and messing everything else up. I can see no reason for messing with the sheets. Otherwise, the next logical solution is to make a sheet that can only be observed and edited when logged in.

Whatever is happening might be due to having many users unfamiliar with spreadsheets. It's possible that people are sorting columns to compare data and messing everything else up. I can see no reason for messing with the sheets. Otherwise, the next logical solution is to make a sheet that can only be observed and edited when logged in.

Yeah, I agree. I looked at the revision history, and the changes really weren't too egregious--a few users' Step 1 scores were changed at different times, but that's really not a big deal. I think the logging in thing is a good idea, but I would hate for people to lose their anonymity and that would probably slow down the editing process a lot. I think for right now we're okay, but if things get worse, then I will lock it and start requiring accounts to edit.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know if most programs are like South Carolina in that they send out all of their invites in one big batch...or do most send out multiple waves every week or so? It's tough seeing people getting invites from places you applied to and not knowing if that's all they're sending or if there's still hope.

About how many interview invites have people received so far? Starting to get nervous over here as the days rolls by :3

So, is it safe to assume that all the interviews have already been handed out for programs where ~20 people on the spreadsheet have signed ?

So Mt. Sinai already filled all their interview spots?

I am deciding whether or not I am going to the ASA conference. Does anyone think it is a must do thing? Would be interested in hearing thoughts.

I'm not sure if it's safe to assume that they've finished handing out invites. Many people cancel interviews and lots of interviews are given later in the year. It's probably safe to say you weren't in their first batch.

In terms of Mt. Sinai- yes, all the interview slots on thalamus are currently taken :)

How soon would it be appropriate to begin sending out letters/emails of interest to the program coordinators?