2014-15 Anesthesiology Applications & Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Personally, I'd give it until the 15th. Two weeks out from MSPE release is a good amount of time to review applications.

Members don't see this ad.

I am deciding whether or not I am going to the ASA conference. Does anyone think it is a must do thing? Would be interested in hearing thoughts.

Definitely not a must do thing. It can be helpful because it gives you the opportunity to meet with PDs, residents, etc but it isn't worth the costs if you weren't already planning to go.

I am deciding whether or not I am going to the ASA conference. Does anyone think it is a must do thing? Would be interested in hearing thoughts.

Must do? No. I didn't go, no issues matching last year.
Beneficial? Yes. You can certainly make connections and earn interviews by networking with programs there.

Members don't see this ad :)
How soon would it be appropriate to begin sending out letters/emails of interest to the program coordinators?

Personally, I sent out emails to some coordinators starting in late October. You don't want to seem TOO eager, but at the same time, you don't want to miss a chance at a spot by waiting too long. From my personal experience, late October seemed to be good timing. I contacted maybe 8-9 and eventually got interviews at 5-6 of those, 1 ignored my emails, the others I was wait-listed or they let me know I wasn't really in consideration. For those I was wait-listed at, I would send another email several weeks after the first to maintain contact and inquire about any openings, as people cancel interviews as the season advances.

Personally, I sent out emails to some coordinators starting in late October. You don't want to seem TOO eager, but at the same time, you don't want to miss a chance at a spot by waiting too long. From my personal experience, late October seemed to be good timing. I contacted maybe 8-9 and eventually got interviews at 5-6 of those, 1 ignored my emails, the others I was wait-listed or they let me know I wasn't really in consideration. For those I was wait-listed at, I would send another email several weeks after the first to maintain contact and inquire about any openings, as people cancel interviews as the season advances.

Over 50% response rate? That's awesome. If I could get 2/10 I'd be happy.

got my 2nd rejection from baylor. they must really dislike me.

Is there a less chance of matching into a program if you interview there late? I'm not sure how the whole system works and whether it is better to interview ASAP or later.

Reject from Baylor, maybe you gotta be from Texas. What's the official word on UCSF and Stanford?

Its been super quiet for me since the first. . No rejects. .no invites

Been quiet since Oct 1st as well.... hopefully there are still interviews coming.... whats a good number to have to be considered "safe" for match day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
Has anyone heard from any prelim programs? I applied to 5-6 and haven't heard from any yet, just wondering if they interview later in the season

Has anyone heard from any prelim programs? I applied to 5-6 and haven't heard from any yet, just wondering if they interview later in the season

Just got my first one from UMass today. Hopefully more to come soon or I might be scrambling into prelim-surgery somewhere in south dakota (no offense to any south dakotans in the house).

Is there a way to find out which programs will be there?

I briefly looked at the website for the upcoming conference and didn't see anything specific about programs. However, I believe many, if not most, program directors and/or chairs attend the ASA conference yearly. Considering I haven't actually attended one yet, I could be wrong. Just my 2 cents.

Noticed some spreadsheet jokester posted an interview for me at Hopkins that I def don't have yet. Flattering tho, thank you.

reject from ut galveston today. i've been kicked out of my own state now.

Is there a way to find out which programs will be there?

I went last year and roughly 1/2 the programs were represented. Some had the PD and a few residents, some just the PD or associate PD. Since I was a third year at the time most said "come back next year" but the interactions I witnessed with fourth years they were taking CVs and writing down names.

I also applied to around 5-6 TY+Prelim

I have heard from 2 prelim and 2 TY- however, I definitely did not choose any type of "reach" program with my prelim/TY years. Some of my locations are desirable in that people from my institution have gone and have had incredibly chill years- but I'm not sure if they're wildly popular to the others applying to prelim/TY

I applied 8 prelim medicine. 2 interviews. One is at a place that has advanced-only anesthesia spots, and I got wayyyy too excited when I saw the email, thinking it was an anesthesia invite. Oh well. Patience.

I applied 8 prelim medicine. 2 interviews. One is at a place that has advanced-only anesthesia spots, and I got wayyyy too excited when I saw the email, thinking it was an anesthesia invite. Oh well. Patience.

I had the same experience. Are you talking about a program in Pittsburgh, pain? I have 2 prelim medicine interviews as well, haven't heard from any TYs at this point.

I went last year and roughly 1/2 the programs were represented. Some had the PD and a few residents, some just the PD or associate PD. Since I was a third year at the time most said "come back next year" but the interactions I witnessed with fourth years they were taking CVs and writing down names.

This reminds me of a college career fair. Was there a specific time during the event that was set aside for this? Iwould like to go but the costs may be prohibitive.

This reminds me of a college career fair. Was there a specific time during the event that was set aside for this? Iwould like to go but the costs may be prohibitive.

Yeah it's essentially that. I believe this year its scheduled for afternoon of Sat 10/11.

Is anyone else worried too? So far 3 interviews total... I know from previous years this week and next week should be busy, but so far crickets :(

Crickets here as well. I'm thinking the web based system might be delaying things a bit.

hoping would probably be a better word than thinking...

Scheduled for Saturday afternoon? ?? Aaaarrgghhh.. I won't get there until Saturday evening. .. note I'm wondering if u should even go

interviews have been slow.. i know programs only require 3 letters... my 4th letter writer is still "working on" my letter... could this be holding me up at programs?

interviews have been slow.. i know programs only require 3 letters... my 4th letter writer is still "working on" my letter... could this be holding me up at programs?

I don't think this would be a problem, given, as you said, that most programs only require 3 letters. But, it's possible that that fourth letter gives you an opportunity to update them and show interest, so it could still get you a couple interviews.

Interview invites for LSU shreveport and USC (Ca) this morning. I was worrying after 1 week of radio silence!

Reactions: 2 users
Recieved Drexel invite today, Mt Sinai (Miami) at the beginning of the month. One day I'll find a way to edit the list, for some reason I can't from work computers or my phone.

Reactions: 1 user

apologies if this is a dumb question, but did you write a different personal statement for prelim/transitional programs? my adviser said this wasn't necessary but I am starting to question his guidance at the moment since I have yet to hear anything from any prelim/transitional program. Hope it isn't a big deal but would love some input.

apologies if this is a dumb question, but did you write a different personal statement for prelim/transitional programs? my adviser said this wasn't necessary but I am starting to question his guidance at the moment since I have yet to hear anything from any prelim/transitional program. Hope it isn't a big deal but would love some input.

I changed exactly one sentence at the end of my personal statement :)

I changed absolutely nothing (said I am 100% anesthesia haha) and have 1 prelim out of 9 that I applied to.

Since MSPE went out... very quiet for me... do you guys think not having a step 2 CK score is hurting me?

I think it's still early. Some programs haven't even begun reviewing apps. Plus the adaptation to the web-based system.

I changed nothing. They know what's up.

Reactions: 2 users
In order for this thread to remain useful for everyone...lets not butcher the Google doc. There are people with the same username and different stats/location. This is going to get confusing very quickly

A friend of mine who matched anesthesia last year said prelims were very random. He got his first one in Sept and then didn't hear from others until weeks later. Many programs are more interested in getting their picks for actual IM residency together before sifting through the people who will just be there for a year.

So far this year I've gotten 1 prelim invite out of 9, and I just got that this week. Most of my friends have no prelim invites yet.

Is there a less chance of matching into a program if you interview there late? I'm not sure how the whole system works and whether it is better to interview ASAP or later.

Bumping this question because I've been wondering the same thing. Any thoughts?

Bumping this question because I've been wondering the same thing. Any thoughts?

It shouldn't matter since rank lists are made at the end of the interview season, but PDs and admissions committees are still humans and subject to primacy and recency effects, so who knows?