2014-2015 AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Captain Flint

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here. Been lurking SDN for a while and now that I'm going to start applying to medical school this coming cycle, I realized I needed an account. Thanks to the community for all the advice I've been reading over the years!

Anyways, to the topic. I read somewhere on here that I need to start working on my AMCAS personal statement in December 2013 if I want to have all my apps in on the first available date in 2014. I'm talking about apps for the starting class of 2015. Does anyone know how I can access the personal statement prompt or relevant info? It seems the AMCAS website still caters to only the 2013-2014 cycle. Does anybody know when the website is going to open up for the next cycle? Sorry, I'm just figuring out how to apply to medical school and am fairly new to the process.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, new member here. Been lurking SDN for a while and now that I'm going to start applying to medical school this coming cycle, I realized I needed an account. Thanks to the community for all the advice I've been reading over the years!

Anyways, to the topic. I read somewhere on here that I need to start working on my AMCAS personal statement in December 2013 if I want to have all my apps in on the first available date in 2014. I'm talking about apps for the starting class of 2015. Does anyone know how I can access the personal statement prompt or relevant info? It seems the AMCAS website still caters to only the 2013-2014 cycle. Does anybody know when the website is going to open up for the next cycle? Sorry, I'm just figuring out how to apply to medical school and am fairly new to the process.

The prompt is incredibly open to interpretation. You really just write about whatever you want to about why medicine.

You can open up the AMCAS application for yourself and see what is expected of you. Just make sure not to submit it and it won't count for anything. Theres no prompt, just a text box marked "Personal Comments".

Application usually opens up around May 1st and you can submit June 1st (assuming it isn't postponed like it was this year :yeahright:).

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also applying June and I have never heard that before!

Applications open early June, AMCAS opens (so you can fill things in) sometime in May.
The personal statement is always the same: why do you want to do medicine (mixed in with why you are a good candidate for medical school), there's no formal prompt.
Another thing you could start working on is the extracurriculars list. Take a look at the applicant stickies: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...y-ps-amcas-secondaries-interviews-etc.989576/.

SDN even has all the secondaries for each school, so if you are feeling very ambitious you could do some brainstorming for the secondaries of schools you know you are applying to. (secondary questions might change though.)

You should make an AMCAS account and read the big PDF on how to apply. It's the 2013-2014 version right now but most of it should be the same.

@Edward Park
Irrelevant, but if that's your real picture / you made your account linked to FB, you might want to remove it :)

Reactions: 1 user
Don't want to be that guy that get his acceptance rescinded because of things said on SDN :rolleyes: