2014-2015 APPIC (internship) application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks CheetahGirl, I may ask all my supervisors for letters and then upload different ones depending on site.

Members don't see this ad.

You're welcome.

If you can, I would. You want to maximize your chances because your opinions (of particular sites) may change after interviews.

I agree; this is probably what I'd do as well. You can also check in with that first neuropsych supervisor to see how strong of a letter they are comfortable writing. If you get the feeling that it's going to be somewhat mediocre, I can say that the vast majority of sites would prefer three strong letters (with at least one from a neuropsych supervisor) to two strong letters and an ok one. Heck, I did neuropsych pretty much all throughout grad school and still only had one letter from an actual neuropsychologist. My situation might've been a bit different, but it didn't seem to hinder me at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree; this is probably what I'd do as well. You can also check in with that first neuropsych supervisor to see how strong of a letter they are comfortable writing. If you get the feeling that it's going to be somewhat mediocre, I can say that the vast majority of sites would prefer three strong letters (with at least one from a neuropsych supervisor) to two strong letters and an ok one. Heck, I did neuropsych pretty much all throughout grad school and still only had one letter from an actual neuropsychologist. My situation might've been a bit different, but it didn't seem to hinder me at all.

Good to hear that only having one letter from a neuropsychologist worked for you! It's probably a good idea for me to try to find out exactly how strong of a letter my supervisor would be willing to write. Sometimes it's hard to judge though, particularly since I will have to email the supervisor. I will try to be explicit when I ask in my email.

AAPI online portal is now open and there is now a specific reference form that some sites may require this year or it is optional.

Good to hear that only having one letter from a neuropsychologist worked for you! It's probably a good idea for me to try to find out exactly how strong of a letter my supervisor would be willing to write. Sometimes it's hard to judge though, particularly since I will have to email the supervisor. I will try to be explicit when I ask in my email.

I don't know if I'd necessarily explicitly ask, "hey, so do you think you can write me a really strong letter?" But asking if they'd be comfortable writing the letter and gauging their reaction could tell you about how the letter will sound. That's just me, though.

Or who knows, perhaps they'll let you review the letter for yourself.

Hi all,
I'm looking for internship sites to apply to and I think I am missing some due to the directory being either out of date or not including great detail about specific training opportunities. So, I thought I'd reach out to see if any of you have suggestions (and hopefully they'll be helpful to others with similar interests to me).

I'm looking for a site that is more research focused, but that doesn't require a lot of assessment experience. I'm from a counseling psychology program, so I have minimal training in assessment, which unfortunately eliminates a lot of the research-heavy sites (many VA's). I've found a few university counseling centers that have a scientist-practitioner model, which seems promising but they are very few (e.g. University of Maryland - College Park). I also have a specific interest in LGBT health, HIV/AIDS treatment or prevention, and sexual health (I'm also applying to Northwestern - the only LGBT health site I can find!). Any suggestions would be welcomed, thank you all so much!

Brown also has a pediatric HIV rotation within their internship program. It is a more research-focused training program.
http://brown.edu/academics/medical/...y-internship-1/clinical-psychology-internship

They also have a T32 Fellowship in Adolescent/Young Adult HIV that you could look into when the time comes for fellowships.
http://brown.edu/academics/medical/...research-fellowships/child-adolescent-hiv-t32

I would also check out Carla Danielson at MUSC, who does some HIV/STD prevention work if you want another option.
There are going to be a ton of researchers at UCSF who conduct HIV/LGBT research. I would look there too. I know Jim Sorensen has been mentoring an LGBT researcher and he also holds a T32 fellowship from NIDA.

If I'm not mistaken there is also an HIV research team at Wisconsin SOM and I think that program had some HIV training rotations.

Finally, there are plenty of HIV/LGBT researchers at Mass General that you could look into working with. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions- I was in this boat not long ago.

Just saw that the portal opened! Good luck, everyone :)

Can anyone please suggest strong juvenile justice focused tracks for internship, or sites that have a solid juvenile forensic rotation with opportunities for research? I am a JD/Phd doctoral candidate. My area of research is focused on juvenile delinquency and legal policy. My practice is focused on EBTs individual child/parent, group child/parent (in-home services), with some experience in TFCBT in a correctional setting. I am finding that many sites seem to check forensics as a population area, but when I look at their brochure/site there is no mention of forensic work. So far, I have Yale/Brown/UMiami/NYU-Bellevue/Duke/Weill Cornell. Are there any sites meeting this criteria in the Boston Area? Judge Baker is post doc only. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Dr. Ann Loper in the Curry School of Education at the University of Virginia is doing research on women in prison and families. You should look into what internships UVA/surrounding area offer or keep this in mind for post-doc (if they offer post-doc positions). Their research program/labs are affiliated with the women's prisons (and perhaps a juvenile facility). I don't know anymore than this, but named Dr. Loper as my POI when I applied to PhD programs way back when (I ended up in a different program).
Can anyone please suggest strong juvenile justice focused tracks for internship, or sites that have a solid juvenile forensic rotation with opportunities for research? I am a JD/Phd doctoral candidate. My area of research is focused on juvenile delinquency and legal policy. My practice is focused on EBTs individual child/parent, group child/parent (in-home services), with some experience in TFCBT in a correctional setting. I am finding that many sites seem to check forensics as a population area, but when I look at their brochure/site there is no mention of forensic work. So far, I have Yale/Brown/UMiami/NYU-Bellevue/Duke/Weill Cornell. Are there any sites meeting this criteria in the Boston Area? Judge Baker is post doc only. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Dr. Ann Loper in the Curry School of Education at the University of Virginia is doing research on women in prison and families. You should look into what internships UVA/surrounding area offer or keep this in mind for post-doc (if they offer post-doc positions). Their research program/labs are affiliated with the women's prisons (and perhaps a juvenile facility). I don't know anymore than this, but named Dr. Loper as my POI when I applied to PhD programs way back when (I ended up in a different program).

Thank you for your suggestion. I will research your recommendation.

Good luck to all of you as you apply. I am tempted to say, "and may the odds be forever in your favor". I would give some sage advice about the process, but I think I may have repressed that traumatic memory. Maybe Freud was right about that after all. :cigar:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys, I was wondering if there will be an advantage or disadvantage in using the new letter of recommendation format.

for this year, appic has a new standardized reference form out

As far as I know the new format reference letter won't be released until Aug 15, but if anyone has already found a copy please post a link. :)

Anyone know if you open an 2014-2015 AAPI account now, would it transfer over to the 2015-2016 year?

Do you mean you'd be applying for internship one year from this fall? If so, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't.

Anyone know if you open an 2014-2015 AAPI account now, would it transfer over to the 2015-2016 year?

As Cara and erg said--no, it wouldn't transfer. They close and ultimately delete all applications after each cycle.

So for those applying this year, if you'd like a copy of your application for whatever reason, be sure to save the PDF version prior to the closing of the portal (which happens sometime after the end of phase II, I believe).

Hi again guys, does your position on a poster matter? If your are the third or fourth author on most of your posters, does it still count? Also does being published in journals in non-US journal count?
thanks

Hi again guys, does your position on a poster matter? If your are the third or fourth author on most of your posters, does it still count? Also does being published in journals in non-US journal count?
thanks
I do not think your position on a poster matters as long as it's on there and you can speak to your contributions. I can imagine that a program looking for applicants with a heavy research background might ask why you have not been first or second author.

I also think that you can document publications, given they are in peer reviewed scholarly journals that are associated with the field.

I do not have a heavy presentation or publication background, so other members might have different insights.

Order on poster doesn't matter, you can still count it. Also pretty sure that foreign journal pubs count as long as they're peer-reviewed.

Order on poster does matter somewhat. If you're on it, you can list it in the application, but many of us really only count the ones that you are a first author on, maybe second author. Posters are a little low yield at this point, so we need to see you did most of the work on that type of product.

I am hoping to find some internship sites that provide some solid couples therapy opportunities. Anyone know of any/have been at a site for internship where that was possible?

So I have a question about assessment hours. I found some sites requiring more than 100 AAPI assessment hours. Are they all face to face test administration hours? My cohorts and me don't have that many. I was amazed by how many you guys have had in the posts from the past years. In my neuropsy assessment practicum, technician administer tests due to insurance reasons and we student site beside them observing and scoring. Can these experiences be counted as "other assessment experience?" Technically I was not the one administering the tests, but we talked to the patients and scored the tests, and my supervisors consider them as patient contact hours, rather than observation support hours. What do you think? Anyone has similar experience? I don't want to lie about hours, but don't want to underestimate them either. Thanks~~

So I have a question about assessment hours. I found some sites requiring more than 100 AAPI assessment hours. Are they all face to face test administration hours? My cohorts and me don't have that many. I was amazed by how many you guys have had in the posts from the past years. In my neuropsy assessment practicum, technician administer tests due to insurance reasons and we student site beside them observing and scoring. Can these experiences be counted as "other assessment experience?" Technically I was not the one administering the tests, but we talked to the patients and scored the tests, and my supervisors consider them as patient contact hours, rather than observation support hours. What do you think? Anyone has similar experience? I don't want to lie about hours, but don't want to underestimate them either. Thanks~~

To be viewed as less than a tech seems odd. If anything, grad students should be viewed and used as more than testing technicians, not less. Obviously, you cant count those instruments as administered. And I would think you can only count the patient contact hours if their was some clinical purpose to the interaction, but check with your DCT. What was the rationale for NOT counting them as observations hours? Small talk with patients isn't really sufficient justification in my book. I would also formally complain about that prac. If a site isn't willing to sacrifice some money for labor, then why are they a training site at all?

To be viewed as less than a tech seems odd. If anything, grad students should be viewed and used as more than testing technicians, not less. Obviously, you cant count those instruments as administered. And I would think you can only count the patient contact hours if their was some clinical purpose to the interaction, but check with your DCT. What was the rationale for NOT counting them as observations hours? Small talk with patients isn't really sufficient justification in my book. I would also formally complain about that prac. If a site isn't willing to sacrifice some money for labor, then why are they a training site at all?

Agree with this--if you didn't administer the measures, you really can't count those hours as face-to-face assessment hours, even in the "other" category. Time spent scoring measures, writing reports, and the like all pretty clearly goes under the support hours section.

Basically, any face-to-face intervention or assessment hours should consist of you directly administering a measure or psychotherapy to a patient/client. Which makes sense, as it's a completely different experience to observe a measure being administered and to administer said measure yourself.

And like erg, I'm a bit perplexed that they disallowed grad students from administering measures for "insurance" reasons. Heck, even in the very few states like NY where psychologists aren't allowed to use psychometrists, graduate students are still able to give tests as a part of their training.

And like erg, I'm a bit perplexed that they disallowed grad students from administering measures for "insurance" reasons. Heck, even in the very few states like NY where psychologists aren't allowed to use psychometrists, graduate students are still able to give tests as a part of their training.

96119, AA. Its all about the 96119. Dollar, Dollar bill, ya'll. Get that green...

96119, AA. Its all about the 96119. Dollar, Dollar bill, ya'll. Get that green...

Haha indeed, indeed.

Unfortunately for folks in NY, state law apparently disallows the use of psychometrists; this caused a bit of a divide to develop between the state psych association and neuropsychologists, the latter of of whom broke off and formed their own association as a result. Although I think I remember reading that they're finally making efforts to have that law changed.

Haha indeed, indeed.

Unfortunately for folks in NY, state law apparently disallows the use of psychometrists; this caused a bit of a divide to develop between the state psych association and neuropsychologists, the latter of of whom broke off and formed their own association as a result. Although I think I remember reading that they're finally making efforts to have that law changed.

Right, well prac sites aren't really able to have their cake and eat it too. Taking on the trainees for the good of the profession requires monetary sacrifice on the front end due to CPT code billing structure. However, its is often made up for, at least somewhat, by the increase volume/free labor. If you cant take that hit, then don't offer offer to take trainees. Test scoring is a technical duty that could be done by a well trained high school student. Not exactly a beneficial/valuable learning experience for a phd student.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with this--if you didn't administer the measures, you really can't count those hours as face-to-face assessment hours, even in the "other" category. Time spent scoring measures, writing reports, and the like all pretty clearly goes under the support hours section.

Basically, any face-to-face intervention or assessment hours should consist of you directly administering a measure or psychotherapy to a patient/client. Which makes sense, as it's a completely different experience to observe a measure being administered and to administer said measure yourself.

Thanks for the suggestions! Bummer! Looks like I won't have enough assessment hour to apply to the place I really want. since my cohort and I are all low in assessment hours, we have discussed with each other about the "supervision to other students" under intervention section in T2T. Three of us have been TA for the assessment class for 1st year PHD students. We administer the tests, check them out by role playing, and observe them administering tests to real clients. So far we counted all these as "supervision to other students." Can any of these be counted as assessment hours? I don't think so, but want to double check with you guys!

Also, I am Chinese, so do you know any internship sites that may value a mandarin speaking candidate? No APA accredited sites explicitly said so in the APPIC search, so I want to ask around to help narrow down my application list. I prefer a site with assessment training/rotations. Thanks!

I think supervision, for APPI purposes, refer to oversight of clinical service delivery. This sound like teaching to me. But again, check with your DCT.

I also think "assessment" is not restricted to psychometric tests administration, is it? Obviously, "assessment" is broad term for clinical information gathering that impact treatment and/or diagnosis. I think I might have counted all the SCIDs I did in my lab (probably 50 or so) as assessment time, but I dont remember for sure. Did you do any SCIDS? CAPS? BPRS, PANNS? Any structured assessment interviews?

I also think "assessment" is not restricted to psychometric tests administration, is it? Obviously, "assessment" is broad term for clinical information gathering that impact treatment and/or diagnosis. I think I might have counted all the SCIDs I did in my lab (probably 50 or so) as assessment time, but I dont remember for sure. Did you do any SCIDS? CAPS? BPRS, PANNS? Any structured assessment interviews?

I counted SCID (but not many). I have some PANNS and STAI in my lab that I haven't counted.

Thanks for the suggestions! Bummer! Looks like I won't have enough assessment hour to apply to the place I really want. since my cohort and I are all low in assessment hours, we have discussed with each other about the "supervision to other students" under intervention section in T2T. Three of us have been TA for the assessment class for 1st year PHD students. We administer the tests, check them out by role playing, and observe them administering tests to real clients. So far we counted all these as "supervision to other students." Can any of these be counted as assessment hours? I don't think so, but want to double check with you guys!

I was also a TA for our graduate assessment classes. Unfortunately, those activities either count as didactic training (if there are no actual clients involved) or supervision of other students.

Can I ask what type of sites you're interested in?

I was also a TA for our graduate assessment classes. Unfortunately, those activities either count as didactic training (if there are no actual clients involved) or supervision of other students.

Can I ask what type of sites you're interested in?

Thanks! Sure. I am interested in some kind of adult track which includes both therapy and assessment rotations. Inpatient settings, pt from diverse background, and neuropsychological assessment experience would be a plus. Some exposure to treatment/assessment with children would be great too, and I am open to it. So I want to apply for hospitals/medical schools primarily (not VA since I am not a citizen). Maybe one or two CAPS if they match my interest. Any suggestions?

Hrm, well, I don't think your low assessment hours will hurt you at CAPS sites. Not sure about hospitals or med schools as it depends on the site. It would hurt you at VAs, but you're not applying to any so that's not an issue.

I could be mis-remembering, but I think assessment is basically anything that uses some sort of standardized measure, whether it's a psychometric instrument, structured interview, or the like. Not sure about doing an unstructured clinical intake interview, though.

I could be mis-remembering, but I think assessment is basically anything that uses some sort of standardized measure, whether it's a psychometric instrument, structured interview, or the like. Not sure about doing an unstructured clinical intake interview, though.

I thought an unstructured interview counted if it was part of the overall assessment process anyway?

The APPIC application categorizes intake interviews and structured interviews as "other psychological interventions," not assessments. However, use of SADS, SCID, and DIS does count towards assessment hrs, since they are standardized diagnostic interview protocols.

The APPIC application categorizes intake interviews and structured interviews as "other psychological interventions," not assessments. However, use of SADS, SCID, and DIS does count towards assessment hrs, since they are standardized diagnostic interview protocols.

an intake interview for someone going into an intervention is far different than an interview in a neuropsychological context. When we applied, we were told by APPIC that a neuropysch assessment and feedback from npsych assessments counted towards assessment.

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I know, everyone talk about how number of hours aren't the be all and end all of the internship apps. BUT I thought it might be helpful to get a range of number of hours of ppl applying this year.

I'll go first: approx 400 face to face intervention and 250 face to face assessment

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I know, everyone talk about how number of hours aren't the be all and end all of the internship apps. BUT I thought it might be helpful to get a range of number of hours of ppl applying this year.

I'll go first: approx 400 face to face intervention and 250 face to face assessment
I'd recommend also including types of sites you'll be applying to since that context is very important to have when discussing hours.