2014-2015 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied to psychodynamic and forensic, and it sounds like different tracks may have different interview days. In the event I get interviews for both, I hope they will let me go on the same day! Do sites normally try to accommodate applicants on this? Does anyone know?

My understanding is no --- as different tracks may have a completely different set of faculty with whom you would meet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think they definitely will! The director was really nice. He said I could come on the 16th but would prefer that I come on the 10th b/c that's when psychodynamic folks will be there.

Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth (Neuro track)
Invite via personal interview received today (11/24)
Interview January 28th (did not give other dates)

Members don't see this ad :)
Invitation to the White River Junction VA. Phone call this afternoon. TD said they were doing calls this week. I assume this means that he wasn't planning on getting them all completed today.

Invitation to the White River Junction VA. Phone call this afternoon. TD said they were doing calls this week. I assume this means that he wasn't planning on getting them all completed today.
Phew! Thank you for saying that! :)

University of Rochester Medical Center (Child & Adolescent Track)
Notification 11/24, Mass email
Interview dates Dec 12, Dec 19, Jan 9, Jan 23

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone hear either way from Duke Med School? Nail biting over here!

University Neuropsychiatric Institute in Salt Lake City
Notification: 11/24 Mass email
Invited to interview
Interview dates offered: January 9,16,23

New Jersey VA invitation by phone. TD said he was trying to finish up the schedule before Thanksgiving, so there will probably be more calls Tuesday and Wednesday.

UTexas San Antonio Health Sciences Center - Psychodynamic Track
Invite via email on 11/24 (and a very kind email I might add!)
Interview Dec 10 or Dec 16 (w/ 10th preferred)
Yay! You got it! I'm still waiting to hear about Behavioral Medicine track.

Am I the only one whose email account is blocking all the amazing interview invites that I'm sure I've received? ;)

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from Henry Ford or Texas Children's for neuro?

I also had Children's National on my list, but it seems as if they are making calls in waves.

Did anyone hear from Massachusetts Mental Health Center/Beth Israel general or PREP track for interview dates other than 12/15? I am just trying to see if they are done with their invites or doing rolling ones.

Also - if in the last year's interview thread it says a site sent out invites on one date, is it safe to assume that they sent out invites only on the date specified, or does it mean it is the first date the site sent out invites? I am guessing it varies by site, but thought I'd ask in case there is any way to reduce this uncertainty/anxiety!

Congrats on all the invites so far!!
While I can't speak on those sites, from the acceptances that I've received thus far, they aren't consistent with last year's dates (although not off by more than a week or two). Some sites sent them earlier last year; alternately, some sites sent rejections later last year.

UAB
Child track
Invite via email 11/24/14
Interviews on 12/12 or 1/9

Rejection email from UT Health Science Center. No track specified in email, but mine was bmed.

Anyone hear either way from Duke Med School? Nail biting over here!

I have not heard anything from Duke!! I was really hoping to hear today. Maybe we will hear tomorrow or Wednesday :).

Rejection email from UT Health Science Center. No track specified in email, but mine was bmed.
Me, too. Luckily I got a phone call invite somewhere else right before this so I didn't care!

I also had Children's National on my list, but it seems as if they are making calls in waves.

Also waiting on Texas Children's neuro and Children's National! Didn't apply to Henry Ford.

University of Illinois Chicago (Department of Psychiatry at the University of Illinois at Chicago), Child track invitation via personalized e-mail on 11/24.

Me, too. Luckily I got a phone call invite somewhere else right before this so I didn't care!
It was a weird email, though, right? It said that you could still be ranked by them even if you don't interview?

It was a weird email, though, right? It said that you could still be ranked by them even if you don't interview?
Yep, mine said the same thing. So, I plan on writing them a letter of interest and ranking them anyway... but I'll probably rank them very low.

-Site name: Medical College of Georgia-Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center (Augusta, GA)

-Date notified: 11/24

-Invite or rejection: Invitation

-Track: General Health Psych

-How notified: Personal call from TD

-Interview dates offered: 1/9, 1/12, 1/16, 1/23 (I think I'm missing one)

University of Illinois at Chicago Adult Track invitation via mass email, today, 11/24. Interviews Monday 1/12 and Monday 1/26.

Did anyone hear from Massachusetts Mental Health Center/Beth Israel general or PREP track for interview dates other than 12/15? I am just trying to see if they are done with their invites or doing rolling ones.

Also - if in the last year's interview thread it says a site sent out invites on one date, is it safe to assume that they sent out invites only on the date specified, or does it mean it is the first date the site sent out invites? I am guessing it varies by site, but thought I'd ask in case there is any way to reduce this uncertainty/anxiety!

Congrats on all the invites so far!!

I have the same question. It looks like the current invitation was for 12/15, but they indicated 2 other interview dates in the application. I am hoping that they will send invitations for those dates in the days/weeks ahead. I'm not sure where I got this, but I have 12/5 written down as their "notify by" date. This site is so high on my list and such a great fit that I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear...

I think they definitely will! The director was really nice. He said I could come on the 16th but would prefer that I come on the 10th b/c that's when psychodynamic folks will be there.
They gave me one date - the 12th - and alluded to my application in response to the Forensic track. But then they said I would have the opportunity to learn more about all 3 tracks that day and meet the faculty with those tracks. I can't imagine they'd make you go and come back like 2 days later. It sounds to me like they'll cover more than one in a day if needed? Would you interpret it that same way?

-Site name: UMMC/VAMC Psychology Residency Training Consortium (Jackson, MS)

-Track: none

-How notified: mass email

-Interview dates offered:
Jan 6, 7, 14, 15, 22, 23, 26, 27

Reactions: 3 users
-Site name: Medical College of Georgia-Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center (Augusta, GA)

-Track: General Health Psych

-How notified: Personal call from TD

-Interview dates offered: 1/9, 1/12, 1/16, 1/23 (I think I'm missing one)

I also received a personal call for the Child/Family track today. Interview dates offered were 12/8,12/19, 1/5, 1/9, 1/12 and 1/23.

I think last year they notified on the 25th and 26th through phone calls. I didn't hear today, so hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday!

I'm waiting to hear from them. When did they notify last year?

Haven't heard from Texas Children's yet...

I guess I should throw this in cause I didn't see anyone with UofT Health Science Center San Antonio with the Forensic track. The interview was offered for 12/12 in a personalized email sent today.

Mass rejection email from University of Wisconsin-Madison 11/24/14.

Utah State University CAPS
interview notice via e-mail 11/24
phone interviews to be scheduled
The email message was personalized with name but from the body of the message I assume it was a mass e-mail. There was not a specific track just general. Hope this helps and thanks for the good luck:)

Invitation to interview at Rush University (Child Track) received 11/24 by mass e-mail. Interview dates include: January 8, 9, 15, 16, 22.

Didn't review all the posts from today, but I heard from UAB child track - invite via mass email, 12/12 or 1/9. Hope I can get the date I want!

Got one to MUSC/Charleston Consortium also! Behavioral Medicine track :) Heard today via personal email from the TD, interview dates are 12/8, 12/12, 12/15, 1/5, 1/9, 1/10, 1/12, 1/16, 1/19, 1/23, 1/24, and 1/26.

Personal phone call from UCSD, offered 5 dates in late January.

Updated

Two things

First, I've had numerous invites that were received after the initial one went out. My opinion is don't assume you have been rejected until you hear otherwise! You definitely still have a chance even if a site is posted on the main list!!!

Second, as a friendly reminder, if possible, please send all of the information requested in my original post (including if the site doesn't have tracks). I am not familiar with the specifics of every site and some people simply forget to include the track (or other info) while others intentionally don't specify because there aren't tracks. This means I have to bug every person to double check, haha :poke:

Reactions: 9 users
Do you mind sharing what the dates were? And if you don't mind, which position(s) you applied for?
VA PRIMARY CARE/ALC DRUG TX
VA BEHMED PAIN WT/VA MOOD SLEEP
VA PRIMARY CARE/UCSD EATDIS
January 15, 16, 20, 21, 22

Got one to MUSC/Charleston Consortium also! Behavioral Medicine track :) Heard today via personal email from the TD, interview dates are 12/8, 12/12, 12/15, 1/5, 1/9, 1/10, 1/12, 1/16, 1/19, 1/23, 1/24, and 1/26.

Anyone else heard from the MUSC Bx Med track today?