2014-2015 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I read that some sites still utilize snail mail as their method of notification. I normally don't check my snail mail every day, but after coming across yet another occurrence of this (in an older, dated thread), I quickly ran to check my mail. One letter stood out, my name was spelled correctly and typed, the quality and texture of the paper was above average, but there was no return address. I was excited, "this could be something," I thought to myself. My heart pounded as I opened the envelope, pulled out the letter, and read, "Special Invitation For a Select Few..." on the front. Inside it read, Heartland Quality Omaha Steaks. I was invited to try the finest selection of steaks around. REALLY!?!?!? :beat:

This has gotten out of control! :hilarious: Hopefully this sad, but true story offers my fellow applicants a bit of the comic relief it offered me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 18 users
I read that some sites still utilize snail mail as their method of notification. I normally don't check my snail mail every day, but after coming across yet another occurrence of this (in an older, dated thread), I quickly ran to check my mail. One letter stood out, my name was spelled correctly and typed, the quality and texture of the paper was above average, but there was no return address. I was excited, "this could be something," I thought to myself. My heart pounded as I opened the envelope, pulled out the letter, and read, "Special Invitation For a Select Few..." on the front. Inside it read, Heartland Quality Omaha Steaks. I was invited to try the finest selection of steaks around. REALLY!?!?!? :beat:

This has gotten out of control! :hilarious: Hopefully this sad, but true story offers my fellow applicants a bit of the comic relief it offered me.

I had a similar false alarm.. received a phone call from a number in a city of one of the sites to which I applied.. I was so excited, thinking it was an invite.. but no, it was just the veterinary pharmacy. womp womp.

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone else still waiting to hear from the Milwaukee VA?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Your emoticon illustration is what made your story truly hilarious :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
-Site name: San Jose State University, Counseling Services

-Date notified: 11/24/14

-Invite or rejection: Invitation for phone interview

-Track (please specify even for general tracks): General (only 1 track)

-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Mass email (not personalized)

-Interview dates offered: 12/2-12/12

-Site name- Barrow Neurological Institute at Phoenix Children's Hospital

-Date notified- 11/24/14

-Invite or rejection - invite

-Track (please specify even for general tracks) - peds psych

-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone)- personal email and phone call

-Interview dates offered- 12/15, 12/19, 11/15

So excited! :soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
I had a similar false alarm.. received a phone call from a number in a city of one of the sites to which I applied.. I was so excited, thinking it was an invite.. but no, it was just the veterinary pharmacy. womp womp.

I woke up very early this morning to get ready to teach my 8am class. I opened an email that was titled "interview help," but did not see the word help and became excited. When I opened it, it was from a woman who is a member of the same professional organization as I am looking for people to interview for a project she is working on. :confused:

-Site name- Nationwide Children's Hospital

-Date notified- 11/25/14

-Invite or rejection - invite

-Track (please specify even for general tracks) - Clinical Child

-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone)- Mass email

-Interview dates offered- 12/11, 12/12, 12/19, 1/9, 1/15

Rejection from Milwaukee VA via mass email this morning.

Heard from MUSC (Behavioral Medicine track), personalized email, same dates as other tracks, and MGH (Behavioral Medicine Track), personalized email, interviews jan 6 and 13.

Reactions: 1 users
Medical College of Georgia-Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center/ notified Nov. 24th by phone/ invite/ Community Psychology Track of Medical Psych Rotation/ interview dates unknown as I have been playing phone-tag with them

Milwaukee VA Medical Center/ notified Nov. 25th by email/ rejection

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical College of Georgia-Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center/ notified Nov. 24th by phone/ invite/ Community Psychology Track of Medical Psych Rotation/ interview dates unknown as I have been playing phone-tag with them

Milwaukee VA Medical Center/ notified Nov. 25th by email/ rejection
How come VA sites are relativity quick sending out invites etc., whereas it takes so long for CCs to send out invites/rejection emails??

Just received into to Duke University

-November 25

-Invite

-Neuropsych

-Mass email

-January 7, 2015

I just received my first interview invitation!!!

Site name: Texas Child Study Center/Dell Children's Hospital

Date notified: 11/25 at 9:27 am

Invite or rejection: Invite!

Track: General Track

How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): My name was personalized at the top, but it looks like it could have been a form email.

Interview dates offered: 1/12 and 1/16

-Site name: Cincinnati VA
-Date notified: 23 Nov 2014
-Invite or rejection: Rejection
-Track (please specify even for general tracks): All Tracks (General Clinical, Neuropsychology, Trauma Recovery Center, and Health)
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Mass Email

-Site name: VA New York Harbor Healthcare System, Manhattan Campus
-Date notified: 25 Nov 2014
-Track (please specify even for general tracks): General Track
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Mass Email

Invite to Chillicothe VAMC today (11/25) for the General Track by personal email

-Site name: Chillicothe VAMC

-Date notified: 11/25/14

-Invite or rejection: invite

-Track (please specify even for general tracks): General

-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): personalized form letter

-Interview dates offered: January 5, 7, 13, 16

Duke University, Invite, Mass Email, Health Psych Track, only one interview date: January 16th

Anyone who applied hear from Duke's CBT track?

-Site name: Duke University Medical Center

-Date notified: 11/25/14 9:28AM

-Invite or rejection: Invitation for interview

-Track (please specify even for general tracks): CBT Track

-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Mass email (not personalized)

-Interview dates offered: Jan 16, 2015 (indicated only date for CBT track)

Does anyone know if University of Miami is doing rolling invites?

-Site name: Duke University Medical Center

-Date notified: 11/25/14 9:28AM

-Invite or rejection: Invitation for interview

-Track (please specify even for general tracks): CBT Track

-Interview dates offered: Jan 16, 2015 (indicated only date for CBT track)

Ahhh... Ok. Congrats, Featheredwyngs! Oh well.. on to the next one...

First rejection email. Denver VA. Expected since people got invites last week, but still stings! One less place to travel :)

Interview invite to Northwestern (Psychopathology & Psychotherapy Track) via phone call today (11/25). Interview dates: 9th or 16th January.

(FYI, individuals from my program who got interviews there last year were contacted on two separate days. So I assume calls will be made today and tomorrow at least)

Site name: Philhaven
-Date notified: 11/25
-Invite or rejection: Invitation
-Track: Generalist
-How notified: personalized email by Psych Intern Support Staff

-Interview dates offered: not disclosed in email. Need to call and have been playing phone tag with them :-(

Does anyone know if University of Miami is doing rolling invites?
At least for the UCC, I hope so! Looking at the previous years' interview threads, it looks like they sent phone interview invites over the span of several days. Which makes sense--would be hard to call 35some people in one day. Hopefully we still got a shot. *eagerly sitting by my phone*

Waitlist (updated 11/24; new listings in bold with updated information for a site in blue)

Oklahoma Health Sciences Center--received 11/19 via email stating under consideration (VA & Adult Neuropsych)

Rush University--received 11/24 via mass email (Child/Adolesccent and Pediatric Psychology)

Rejections (updated 11/25; new listings in bold with updated information for a site in blue)

Children's Hospital and Clinics of Minnesota--received 11/14 via personalized form email.

Cincinnati Children's Hospital--received 11/21 via personalized email (Behavioral Medicine)

Cincinnati VA--received 11/23 via mass email (all tracks).

Denver VA--received 11/25 via email.

FCC Butner--received 11/12 via mass email.

FCI-FDC Tallahassee--received 11/6 via mass email.

FCI Fort Worth--received 11/10 via mass email.

FMC Devens--received 11/12 via mass email.

FMC Lexington--received 11/12 via mass email.

Geisinger Medical Center--received 11/21 via generic letter attached to email (Child).

Indianapolis Roudebush VA Medical Center--received 11/18, 11/21 via mass email (General)

Lancaster General Hospital--received 11/19.

Miami Dade Human Services Department--received 11/24 via mass email.

Milwaukee VA--received 11/25 via mass email.

Nationwide Children's Hospital--received 11/19 via mass email (IDD/DD). Received 11/20 via mass and personalized email (Pediatric Psychology). Received 11/20 via mass email (Neuro).
Received 11/25 via mass email (Child Clinical).

New York Harbor VA Healthcare System, Manhattan Campus--received 11/23 via mass email (General).

Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services--received 11/21 via mass email.

Puget Sound Seattle VA--received 11/21 via mass email (PTSD).

Rush University Medical Center--received 11/12 via personalized email (Neuro). Received 11/24 via mass e-mail (Child/Adolescent and Pediatric).

South Texas VA--received 11/20 via mass email (Neuro & Primary Care/Health).

Spring Grove Hospital Center--received 11/21 via personalized email.

University of Alabama Birmingham--received 11/24 via mass email (Clinical Child/Pediatric).

University of Chicago Medicine--received 11/17 via mass email (Adult/Heath & Child).

University of Michigan/Mary A Rackham Institute--received 11/24 via mass email.

University of Oregon Clinical Counseling--received 11/21 via email.

University of Pittsburgh Counseling Center--received 11/13 via mass email.

University of Texas Health Science Center/San Antonio--received 11/24 via mass email (Behavioral Medicine).

University of Utah Neuropsychiatric Institute--received 11/24 via mass email.

University of Wisconsin-Madison--received 11/24 via mass email.

West Virginia University Carruth Center--received 11/19 via mass email.

West Haven Connecticut VA--received 11/19 via mass email (SMI).

Western State Hospital--received 11/20 via mass email.
Hi,

I have not received any notifications yet. However, I'm usually quick to empty my inbox. Can you share what these emails look like to be better prepared to know what to look for?
Thanks!

Anyone get a phone call from U of Louisville today? I saw that the TD made some calls yesterday.

Hi,

I have not received any notifications yet. However, I'm usually quick to empty my inbox. Can you share what these emails look like to be better prepared to know what to look for?
Thanks!

I've received three responses via email so far. The subject for all three emails include the site's name (either fully spelled out or the abbreviation). Two of the three also include "Clinical Internship" or "Internship" after the site name. Make sure to check your span folder as well as one of my was automatically sent to that folder.

Hi,

Thanks!

The subject heading for mine so far had the word "internship" in it :soexcited:Next, wenn you open the email, you'll see words expressing or evoking positive emotions :highfive:, like we are happy to..:thumbup: .OR negative emotions :panda: such as unfortunately, ususally paired with something like ''high number of applicants' and the email closes with 'best wishes for a bright future' hahha :luck: Good luck!

Reactions: 8 users
Don't think this one has been posted yet. Received personal email of acceptance for interview at Lurie Children's Hospital in Chicago on 11/24. Interview date offered 1/8.

Not to change the subject, but all the horribleness around the Michael Ferguson case makes me sad and frustrated. And like many people I was outraged when it first happened and did my best to educate others on why we should be outraged, and then got sidetracked by internship applications. As if that was the most important thing in the world! No matter where we end up or what happens, I hope we continue to fight injustice. Going to my first protest for the no indictment charge of DW tonight.

Reactions: 5 users
Received a rejection from University of Illinois, Chicago this afternoon. Adult track.

Well, got my first rejection out and I'm still standing! This is good. I know I am not along in this, and this is helpful :)

I've received three responses via email so far. The subject for all three emails include the site's name (either fully spelled out or the abbreviation). Two of the three also include "Clinical Internship" or "Internship" after the site name. Make sure to check your span folder as well as one of my was automatically sent to that folder.
Thank you!

The subject heading for mine so far had the word "internship" in it :soexcited:Next, wenn you open the email, you'll see words expressing or evoking positive emotions :highfive:, like we are happy to..:thumbup: .OR negative emotions :panda: such as unfortunately, ususally paired with something like ''high number of applicants' and the email closes with 'best wishes for a bright future' hahha :luck: Good luck!

Thank you! I am a nervously waiting a response!

-Site name: Bay Pines VA Healthcare System (St. Pete, FL)
-Track: General
-How notified: Personalized email with attached letter from template
-Interview dates offered: 1/8/15 or 1/15/15

Question to everyone that has heard back so far.

If there was a mass email sent with rejection for a site that I applied to, but did not get that mass email... Can I be hopeful that they may be extending an invite instead?

Also, do the sites have to follow the respond dates, such as Dec. 15 or is that their cutoff to hear back from?

Question to everyone that has heard back so far.

If there was a mass email sent with rejection for a site that I applied to, but did not get that mass email... Can I be hopeful that they may be extending an invite instead?

Also, do the sites have to follow the respond dates, such as Dec. 15 or is that their cutoff to hear back from?

Some sites send out invites/rejections in waves. Depending on your mind set, you might be hopeful or hopeless, depends on how you look at things -- is the glass half full or half empty! But in general, as long as you have not received an email clearly stating either of the two possible outcomes, you should remain open and can be hopeful

Rejection Childrens hospital Colorado. Mass email. Ugh I'm nervous in having only 1 invite and lots of my sites are popping up on here! :(

-Site name: Children's Hospital Colorado
-Track: Pediatric Health Psychology, Primary Integrated Care
-How notified: Mass email

-Site name: Baylor/Texas Children's Hospital
-Track: the email did not specify track but my preference was for neuropsych & autism
-How notified: Personalized email with letter from template
-Interview dates offered: 1/9, 1/12, 1/16, 1/23, 1/26

-Site name: The Children's Hospital Colorado
-Track: the email did not specify track but my preference was for neuropsych & developmental disorders
-How notified: General template email
-Interview dates offered: 1/5, 1/9, 1/12, 1/16

Site name: Children's Hospital Colorado
Date notified: 11/25
Invite or rejection: rejection
Track: Neuropsychology, but this was not specified in the email.
How notified: mass email

First invite! Adrenaline rush- oh boyyyy. :banana:

Site name: Vanderbilt VA
Date notified 11/25
Invite or rejection: Invite
Track: Behavioral Medicine
How notified: Phone Call
Dates offered: 12/4, 12/15, and 1/5

Good luck, everyone!