2014-2015 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
University of Minnesota Medical School (child track)
Rejection received 11/25/2014
Mass Email

Members don't see this ad :)
For whatever it's worth, a friend of mine interned at KKI last year and said that it was way over hyped. He was tremendously over worked (almost 60 families on his case load!) and their training is very hierarchical. I have several friends there now for externship (in various rotations) who say *very* similar things.

I know folks who have interned there and it really depends on the track. The ABA track seems to be the most labor intensive (particulalry the neurobehavioral unit). The child/family therapy track seems to be the least labor intensive based on previous interns respones.

I received an invite for the Behavior Management track and I know that sometimes the interns work through lunch if dealing with an extinction burst but they have also have spoken very highly of the experience in that rotation as well as the support of the faculty/supevisors.

Reactions: 1 users
Same here.
Did you end up hearing from Wisconsin-Madison today? I'm in the same boat you were/are... I haven't heard either way.

Last edited:
Oh Emory University.... thank you for your Waitlist email at 10:45pm :)

I guess that's better than a flat out rejection...

I think someone posed this question earlier and I never saw any answers but what do you think we should do if we get offered interviews from 2 different sites on the same day? Going into this, I thought there were more interview date options then there seem to be in actuality (either a site provides you with one specific day or there is only one date left by the time you respond or by the time you are sent the invite in the list of candidates). Do we just stick with whomever we committed to first? Or do we go with whomever is the more desired site? It feels like you're probably stuck with whatever came first, which is such a bummer if you like the second one better or if it's a better fit.

What track at Emory?

Mt. Sinai St. Luke's and Roosevelt Hospitals (child track) mass email invite. Interview 12/18.

I think someone posed this question earlier and I never saw any answers but what do you think we should do if we get offered interviews from 2 different sites on the same day? Going into this, I thought there were more interview date options then there seem to be in actuality (either a site provides you with one specific day or there is only one date left by the time you respond or by the time you are sent the invite in the list of candidates). Do we just stick with whomever we committed to first? Or do we go with whomever is the more desired site? It feels like you're probably stuck with whatever came first, which is such a bummer if you like the second one better or if it's a better fit.
I was the one in that boat. I stuck to the one I committed to first and then called and asked the second site if there were other days. The site informed me they do usually have other days available but it's usually easier to assign a date and only change it for the people that specifically request a change. So it worked out for me!

Stanford CAPS (no tracks)-- Invited for interview via personalized email 11/25. Sykpe and phone interview dates: 12/10, 12/11, 12/12, 12/16, & 12/17.

Congrats! Me too! My first interview so I'm super excited :)

Interview invite to Northwestern (Psychopathology & Psychotherapy Track) via phone call today (11/25). Interview dates: 9th or 16th January.

(FYI, individuals from my program who got interviews there last year were contacted on two separate days. So I assume calls will be made today and tomorrow at least)

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who received an invite from Western Psychiatric Institute would you mind sharing which track?

Last edited:
From a friend:

Invitation for Interview - SUNY Upstate Medical University-Syracuse (Child Track) on 11/25 via mass email. Possible Dates: 12/9, 12/10, 12/11, 12/16, 12/17, 12/18, 12/23 (maybe), 1/6, 1/7, 1/8

-Site name: Philhaven

-Date notified: 11/25

-Invite or rejection: invite

-Track (please specify even for general tracks): Child/Adolescent Specialty Program

-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personal Email

-Interview dates offered: No specific dates offered in email, must call to schedule interview (been playing phone tag)

Reactions: 2 users
-Site name: Philhaven

-Date notified: 11/25

-Invite or rejection: invite

-Track (please specify even for general tracks): Child/Adolescent Specialty Program

-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personal Email

-Interview dates offered: No specific dates offered in email, must call to schedule interview (been playing phone tag)

Congrats! I also received an invite -- for the adult track. Same experience with phone tag, plus the person I had on the phone yesterday was really rude; she transferred me after I missed punching in the ext.; certainly not the best first impression.

-Site name- Barrow Neurological Institute at Phoenix Children's Hospital

-Date notified- 11/24/14

-Invite or rejection - invite

-Track (please specify even for general tracks) - peds psych

-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone)- personal email and phone call

-Interview dates offered- 12/15, 12/19, 11/15

So excited! :soexcited:
Congratulations! That's awesome! I just want to double check that your notification was for the pediatric neuropsychology track and not the pediatric consultation/liaison track, right? I'm still waiting to hear for the CL track and just want to make sure I shouldn't count this one as a no go yet.

Rejection from Bay Pines VA :(

My first rejection in this process.... Kind of stings :(

Site name - Bay Pines VA

Date notified - 11/26

Invite or rejection - rejection

Track - not specified in their email, but I applied to General and Neuro tracks

How notified - mass email (with the letter itself being a Word attachment)

I just need to vent here for a minute, and I figured this was a much more wonderfully anonymous outlet than Facebook. I am someone who is hyper-organized and prepares for things well in advance. I have made meticulous documents outlining my sites, their due dates, their supplemental materials, site info, etc. People warned me that sites would change at the last minute, i.e. pull out of the Match or add more positions or whatever. What I did not realize is how many of them would change their freaking brochures/application requirements so close to the deadlines. I have had TWO sites now email me and tell me I needed to include a sample report when it was NEVER outlined in their brochure/APPIC directory page. The lesson learned in all of this is that applicants need to double check every brochure/website/piece of info immediately before submitting apps. It frustrates me because I look like a careless applicant, when really I'm just the opposite and I feel like it's a hindrance in this process to prepare too early. BAH. Also, on this same point, I've missed a deadline because they moved it up 2 weeks early (when I was already fully prepared to submit the app but waited as to not send too early), and another site that I removed from my list because they changed the internship description to something less appealing at the last minute. Stop playing with our minds!!

Reactions: 5 users

Yup, got that same waitlist email for the Neuro track. I appreciated how delicately it was worded (e.g. It's not you, it's the fit) :)

-Site name: Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital

-Date notified: 11/26

-Invite or rejection: rejection :thumbdown:

-Track (please specify even for general tracks): Generalist

-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Mass Email

CLEAR MESSAGE:
+pity+

"Based on a careful review of your application, the faculty and I do not believe that you are a good match for our site. Therefore, we are unfortunately not inviting you to interview. We wish you the best in all of your future endeavors."

One place less to travel to and to prepare for!! Good luck to those who go :luck:

Last edited:
I know folks who have interned there and it really depends on the track. The ABA track seems to be the most labor intensive (particulalry the neurobehavioral unit). The child/family therapy track seems to be the least labor intensive based on previous interns respones.

I received an invite for the Behavior Management track and I know that sometimes the interns work through lunch if dealing with an extinction burst but they have also have spoken very highly of the experience in that rotation as well as the support of the faculty/supevisors.

Thank you both for this info - very helpful!

I just need to vent here for a minute, and I figured this was a much more wonderfully anonymous outlet than Facebook. I am someone who is hyper-organized and prepares for things well in advance. I have made meticulous documents outlining my sites, their due dates, their supplemental materials, site info, etc. People warned me that sites would change at the last minute, i.e. pull out of the Match or add more positions or whatever. What I did not realize is how many of them would change their freaking brochures/application requirements so close to the deadlines. I have had TWO sites now email me and tell me I needed to include a sample report when it was NEVER outlined in their brochure/APPIC directory page. The lesson learned in all of this is that applicants need to double check every brochure/website/piece of info immediately before submitting apps. It frustrates me because I look like a careless applicant, when really I'm just the opposite and I feel like it's a hindrance in this process to prepare too early. BAH. Also, on this same point, I've missed a deadline because they moved it up 2 weeks early (when I was already fully prepared to submit the app but waited as to not send too early), and another site that I removed from my list because they changed the internship description to something less appealing at the last minute. Stop playing with our minds!!

I feel you, HD. One site I liked got rid of a whole track the week before the deadline. And now I'm finding that some sites are offering interview days that differ from those they announced. What a life.

Has anyone else heard from Mass General - particularly the neuropsychology track? I noticed one person heard from the BMed track a few days ago but no one else has posted anything from them.

Site: Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital
Invitation for Interview
No Track
Dates: Dec 8, 9, 10, 9:30-12pm.

That's not much time and super close! But yay!

Has anyone else heard from Mass General - particularly the neuropsychology track? I noticed one person heard from the BMed track a few days ago but no one else has posted anything from them.

I'm waiting for that too. I think they will call, so keep your phone close and on LOUD!

Site: Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital
Invitation for Interview
No Track
Dates: Dec 8, 9, 10, 9:30-12pm.

That's not much time and super close! But yay!

Ditto. Excited for this one :)

-Site name: Yale School of Medicine

-Invite or rejection: Invite

-Track: Substance Abuse

-How notified: Personal email

-Interview dates offered: 1/12

-Site name: Bay Pines VA

-Track: Neuropsych

-How notified: mass email

-Interview dates offered: 1/8 or 1/15

Need help, as I am beginning to run into scheduling/travel issues... Does anyone have information on the Bay Pines interview? There is an option to teleconference - does anyone know if this effects your ranking with them?

Weird, I'm reading this at 9:15am Pacific Time. I'm going to assume your clock is not digital/online synced.

Got the same rejection from Greystone...not feeling as down as I imagined. Of note, I received an invite several days after I saw one for NJ VA site posted here. It was a nice feeling to know that maybe I shouldn't count a site out until I hear from them directly! Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
11/26/14 Boston VA rejection via email (personalized but looks stock); I applied for inpatient mental health - therapeutic recovery / general mental health. There was a line in the email saying they would keep application on file and invite for a personal interview in the chance that an interview spot opened up but indicated that it was 'less than likely' lol and email title said 'regrets' so I'm taking this as a rejection email not a wait list.

11/26/14 Boston VA rejection via email (personalized but looks stock); I applied for inpatient mental health - therapeutic recovery / general mental health. There was a line in the email saying they would keep application on file and invite for a personal interview in the chance that an interview spot opened up but indicated that it was 'less than likely' lol and email title said 'regrets' so I'm taking this as a rejection email not a wait list.

Same. I applied for neuropsych.

Site name: Boston VA

-Track: PTSD

-How notified: mass email

-Interview dates offered:
· Friday, December 12, 2014
· Tuesday, December 16
· Friday, December 19
· Wednesday, January 7, 2015
· Friday, January 16
· Wednesday, January 21

Interview invite to Boston VA (geropsychology track) via semi-personalized email 11/26. Interview dates: 12/12, 12/16, 12/19, 01/07, 01/16, 01/21. I've been waiting all day for this email...now I can enjoy some snow!!

I was momentarily sad about Boston VA rejection until 5 seconds later this one came! 2:2 hooray!

Site name: Dallas VA
-Track: General
-How notified: mass email for "open house"
· Friday, January 5,8, & 15, 2015

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard anything else from the Center for Multicultural Training in Psychology? I know they interview quite a few people and that they started notifying earlier this month

Invite via personalized (has my name at the top but seems like a form letter after) e-mail from Boston VA - for the Brockton Substance Abuse Spectrum of Treatment track :)

Dates offered
12/12, 12/16, 12/19, 1/7, 1/16, and 1/21

Last edited:
-Site name: Stanford University, CAPS (no tracks)
-Date notified: 11/25/14
-Invite or rejection: Rejection by mass email
+pity+
At least they were kind enough to notify everyone on the same day. Congratulations to those who received interviews!

So far, I've gotten 1 invite and 1 rejection with 12 more to go...

Best of luck to everyone and happy thanksgiving! :)

Hey all,
I didn't match last year, and have been trying to stay away from this thread as a way of mitigating anxiety. I finally broke down today to check it out. I don't have any updates that haven't been posted; however, I do want to provide a few words of unsolicited advice. First, remember that this forum is comprised of a small sample of internship applicants and is not representative, so avoid both upward and downward comparisons. Second, don't over think things. It's really a crapshoot. Last year, I had interviews at sites that were very competitive, but was rejected outright from sites that I considered safety nets. Don't read too much into any one invite or rejection. Every site looks for different things. Finally, know that not matching is not the end of the world. Don't get me wrong, it SUCKS...but you'll be surprised at how quickly you recover.

Reactions: 17 users
I was momentarily sad about Boston VA rejection until 5 seconds later this one came! 2:2 hooray!

Site name: Dallas VA
-Track: General
-How notified: mass email for "open house"
· Friday, January 5,8, & 15, 2015

Also just got an invite for Dallas Congrats!

Has anyone heard anything else from the Center for Multicultural Training in Psychology? I know they interview quite a few people and that they started notifying earlier this month
I'm waiting, too! After looking at the thread's master list, I figured they conducted a few interviews for locals (invite a few days before the interview date), but are still in the process of officially inviting people. I'll let you know if I hear anything back :) GL!

I'm waiting, too! After looking at the thread's master list, I figured they conducted a few interviews for locals (invite a few days before the interview date), but are still in the process of officially inviting people. I'll let you know if I hear anything back :) GL!

Thanks! I will do the same!

I hear ya, and I totally relate. Preparedness on our part is definitely not rewarded in this process. So frustrating! :mad:

I feel you, HD. One site I liked got rid of a whole track the week before the deadline. And now I'm finding that some sites are offering interview days that differ from those they announced. What a life.

Bag of Owls: Your screen name is amazing.

Okay, despite being afraid of the answer, has anyone heard from Durham VA or VA Maryland Healthcare System/University of Maryland at Baltimore?