2014-2015 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
still no word from:
Denver Health
Citrus Health
and SAPIC La Frontera

Patience officially sucks!
I and another classmate got rejections from SAPIC La Frontera on Friday, 12/12. I forgot to post it here because I was more focused on posting invites. Sorry!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there anyone else who hasn't heard at all from Western Youth Services? I never got a rejection or invitation, and I know that both went out on 11/25. I was thinking of contacting them, but I wanted to know if others were in the same boat... Thanks!

Has anyone received an invite from Brooklyn VA? I know there was a mass rejection that went out but I've seen no mention of invites. Also, any word from Nassau or Elmhurst Hospitals?

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia - Rejection
received just a moment ago

Waiting on Denver Health too. I'm pretty sure it will be a rejection, but closure would be nice. They were one of my top choices.

Waiting on Denver Health too. I'm pretty sure it will be a rejection, but closure would be nice. They were one of my top choices.
Same here. Are you going to send an email to ask about your status?

Waiting on VA Beach and Miami Children's.... then I can make sure that I burn enough calories to fit into my interview suits for January.

University of Iowa UCC
12/12
Invite via personalized email
Skype from 1/5-1/9, or on-site 1/12

University of Florida UCC
12/15 5:50 pm EST
Invite via mass email
Two Skype interviews: 1/7-1/21 (with intern selection committee), 1/21-1/29 (with current interns)

Ate two checkerboard cookies already!

Is there anyone else who hasn't heard at all from Western Youth Services? I never got a rejection or invitation, and I know that both went out on 11/25. I was thinking of contacting them, but I wanted to know if others were in the same boat... Thanks!

I'm in the same boat -- heard nothing from them, and in addition to invites AND rejections going out on 11/25, their notification date on APPIC was 12/5. I emailed the TD on 12/8 asking about my application and have received nothing in response. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has heard nothing!

Mass email rejection to Maine VA. Finally heard from all of my sites! Now I plan to take it easy for the holidays...try to be well rested and well fed before interviewing all over the country next month :) Good luck to the rest of you that are still waiting!

Any word from Momentous Institute? I know their notification date is 12/19, but still curious

How do people feel about flats with a suit skirt? I wore heels for my first interview, and they were a terrible mistake.
:smack:
Learning from mistakes is good. Wearing heels or not is never a deciding factor in this hectic process. (Or if it was, would you want to go there?) Dress in a way that is adult and congruent with who you are and, above all else, comfortable. You want to be as relaxed as possible in what is of course not a relaxing situation. Footware that keeps you grounded and able to walk around on a tour is sensible and frees you to pay attention to the interviewer(s) and site.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from Institute of Living confirming their interview date?

Same here. Are you going to send an email to ask about your status?

I'm in the same boat...no word from Denver Health. I thought about emailing them today since in their materials it says the notification date was the 15th, but it seems like if so many of us haven't heard yet then it's likely more about their process than us being forgotten or missing an email? Not sure.

Has anyone heard back from Institute of Living confirming their interview date?
I had a few back and forths with Rosa, but got it confirmed late last week.. for which track are you interviewing?

I'm in the same boat -- heard nothing from them, and in addition to invites AND rejections going out on 11/25, their notification date on APPIC was 12/5. I emailed the TD on 12/8 asking about my application and have received nothing in response. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has heard nothing!

That's frustrating that they never responded after your reached out! Ok, great, I guess I'll go ahead and email them, too and see if they get back to me...:eyebrow:

I had a few back and forths with Rosa, but got it confirmed late last week.. for which track are you interviewing?
The child track. I sent back my preferred dates last week and hadn't heard back, and sent Rosa an email yesterday but haven't heard back from her...

No word from Virginia Beach. Did you apply for general or neuro? I saw the neuro invites went out on 12/12.

Bronx VA (no track)
12/15
Invite via mass email
Invite just confirmed we would be getting an interview and that a staff member would be contacting us personally to set it up.

Lincoln Hospital (no track)
12/15
Invite via phone call
Interviews taking place Tuesdays through rest of Dec. and Jan

Hey all! Waiting to hear from 5 sites that were due before December (I have two more that were due after December, so I'm going to give those a wait!). I'm wondering what everyone's take is on contacting TDs to ask when/ if they send out rejections. For three of the sites I'm waiting on (UWashington SoM, SFGH/UCSF CAS, and UKMC), other people posted somewhat early that they already received invitations, but it seems rejections were not sent out for any of these sites. How have others dealt with this issue/ or what would you do?

Hi, I applied to both tracks.
I received an invite to the general track around 12pm today - it was in my spam folder so check that!

Also, my assigned date was Friday 1/9 - if anyone has another date and would be willing to trade with me, I would gladly give you lots of cookies!!

Reactions: 1 users
I still haven't heard a confirmation of a date from the Village. Anyone else in that boat?

Also I haven't heard from the Mailman Center.

I want this DONE with.

I would e-mail them at this point and restate the dates you said in the message you sent earlier. Good luck!

Anyone *not* hear from West Palm Beach VA? I saw that some people got invites and rejections yesterday -- and their notification deadline was supposed to be 12/15 -- but I haven't heard anything yet. With the emailing mistake they had yesterday though, I thought I would wait a little while to hear back. Maybe I should email them tomorrow?

Edit: I decided to email them now. Will update if I hear back!

Last edited:
Anybody hear from UT Austin UCC or U Hawaii Manoa UCC?

Nope, I emailed him last Thursday and still haven't heard anything. I'm trying not to take it personally, but it's becoming more difficult not to think that he selectively responds to candidates they're interested in.

Well, I just emailed him yesterday for the first time (I held off for no good reason) o_O. Haven't heard anything back yet of course, and now not expecting to probably... oh well! :)

Well, I just emailed him yesterday for the first time (I held off for no good reason) o_O. Haven't heard anything back yet of course, and now not expecting to probably... oh well! :)

Please let us know if you do! I've sent him two emails so I don't think I'll email him again, although I might email another faculty member.

Please let us know if you do! I've sent him two emails so I don't think I'll email him again, although I might email another faculty member.

Yeah I'll let y'all know if I do for any reason -- I wasn't sure what to write in the email in the first place, I just re-iterated my interest in the program, said I wished to discuss it further via phone or email etc. and mentioned a visiting date (although I'm sure they're probably already all full). I didn't ask any specific questions though (figured I would if I heard back from him) but now I wonder if that might be the issue for some (i.e., I think a poster above said that perhaps someone else may have heard back because they asked specific program questions)? If I don't hear back I'll probably just email the faculty member as well instead, and try to include specific questions! Can't over think these things too much I guess. ^_^

Mass email rejection from Sharp Healthcare San Diego
12/16

I believe I saw the date on the front page of this thread. Double check that though. I don't want to spread misinformation.
Ditto! I received a rejection too... in spam. Just one more site to hear from!

I was just posting about how I should contact a site... and then.... walllalllla...

Heard back from Miami Children's (Peds Neuro). Interview dates are 1/19 and 1/20. Email was non-specific and very generic. First come, first-serve basis for interview dates.

No cookies consumed today. Only pizza and red velvet cake.

Last edited:
I see posted that rejection and invites went out from University of Florida CC. I haven't heard either way, and I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

Andrus
Invite
12/16/14
Mass email
December 23rd, January 5th, January 6th, January 9th, January 12th, January 13th and January 15th.

Thank god!! Finally done with my list on a happy note :)

Would anybody be willing to switch their interview date with Citrus Health in Miami? I can only interview on January 28th, but the slots filled up super quick. Other options are the 7th and 14th of January.

Did a little holiday shopping (instead of preparing) in this adorable little New England town. And ate homemade cookies and chips and tried on all things wool. Oops! :) Whatever the outcome of my internship match, I'm grateful to have the opportunity to visit other parts of the US. Wish me luck tomorrow. :)

Reactions: 10 users
Anyone hear from Howard University? Just waiting on them and multicultural services which I know I won't hear from until January :(

I saw that invites and rejections have gone out for Maine VA, but I have not heard anything... Is anyone else is the same boat?

Just got a generic rejection email from Denver Health. I applied to the Health Psych- Adult Outpatient rotation.

Salina Regional Health Center
Personal Invite Email
Interview all day 1/14 and all day 1/12 (although I was only offered one day I had to inquire about second)