2014-2015 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone not heard from any of the Kaisers? I applied to San Diego, Fresno, and Walnut Creek and have not heard a thing from any of them.
I only applied to the San Diego Kaiser. I received an invite around Thanksgiving time. I have heard from people on here that Walnut Creek takes a little longer to notify. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone not heard from any of the Kaisers? I applied to San Diego, Fresno, and Walnut Creek and have not heard a thing from any of them.
Rejection received Dec. 5th, but can't forget this satisfying piece of the email.

"We will, though, keep your application on file. Should we be unable to select an adequate number of potential interns for the national "Match", or have an unfilled position, we may contact you to see if you are still interested in being considered.

You have our best wishes for a satisfying placement."

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone ever hear from Ann Arbor, or end up contacting them?

No word from Ann Arbor. Yesterday I went through all their materials and it seems like if we didn't hear from them in early Dec (which I don't think anyone did), then the only other communication will be 1 week before rankings are due. They will inform you if you are not being ranked.

Can anyone add to this?

Rejection received Dec. 5th, but can't forget this satisfying piece of the email.

"We will, though, keep your application on file. Should we be unable to select an adequate number of potential interns for the national "Match", or have an unfilled position, we may contact you to see if you are still interested in being considered.

You have our best wishes for a satisfying placement."

From which Kaiser?

PS: glad I haven't gotten that letter yet.

I heard back from Kaiser SD around Thanksgiving. I just heard back from Kaiser Fresno yesterday because I emailed the TD. It turned out that my email was spelled wrong on their end. Got a rejection though.

Yeah I have yet to hear back from one site still (napa) and I emailed the TD yesterday-no word. The APPIC site for Napa clearly states that the notification day is December 15 and that they would notify before the 15th, the 15th at the latest. At this point, it is the 17th and no word. I have just booked all flights and hotels. If I *do* get an invite, I am likely not going to be able to make it. It's an extraordinary frustrating process. Sites should notify rejections and acceptances all in one day-the costs of travel are ridiculous (not to mention the stress of waiting). So much of this process could be alot better...

Western Carolina University
invite
Skype interviews with 1 of 2 assigned teams: Wed 1/7 1-5, Thurs 1/8 1-5, and Wed 1/14 8-12

No cookies, but a couple bagels and some chocolate...the cookies are gone :(

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from St. Luke's? I know they do rolling invites and they are supposed to let us know by today.

anyone receive rejections from Northwestern LGBT Health Psych OR U of Kansas Medical Center? I'm not even gonna bother asking about WVU.

I haven't heard from University of Kansas underserved track either. We have a while to go till their notification date, too... :whistle:

I did actually JUST hear back from WVU Health Sciences Center (not UCC) with a visit day scheduled. If this is the same WVU you are referring too, hopefully, you will get some positive correspondence soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Please share that info! Personal message me if more comfortable.
Please share this info with me as well. I am not able to go to the open house but am interested in the site. I contacted them to see about coming another day but it looks like I am just able to ask current interns questions through email :(

Just had a site tell me that they made a mistake in scheduling me on a certain date, and updated my new interview date to one that I put as a "second choice" on a preference list of a site I really like. It makes it harder because I really like both sites! So I emailed the other site to request to change the second preference date I had listed, since I can no longer do the other.

I realize it's not a huge deal, I just feel like I look very disorganized by doing that. I'm hoping the site understands that this process is a mess and stuff like that happens? ugh.

Off to go for a run. The high sugar intake is only making me more nervous!

American Lake's open house doesn't seem critical to attend.... I am going for the cookies though.
I have to miss it for another interview as well. It seems like it does not affect their ranking of us but I do not know how to rank them without going. Anyone else have advice on this??

I did apply for the Sierra Tucson track, but my email didn't mention it. It was literally a form letter as an attachment with the body of the email saying, "See the attached letter. Thank you." That's good to know I'm not necessarily missing out on anything!
Glad to help. My invite was in the same format that mentioned see attached letter. I am surprised they did not send out an announcement about it. Good luck with all your interviews!

Yeah I have yet to hear back from one site still (napa) and I emailed the TD yesterday-no word. The APPIC site for Napa clearly states that the notification day is December 15 and that they would notify before the 15th, the 15th at the latest. At this point, it is the 17th and no word. I have just booked all flights and hotels. If I *do* get an invite, I am likely not going to be able to make it. It's an extraordinary frustrating process. Sites should notify rejections and acceptances all in one day-the costs of travel are ridiculous (not to mention the stress of waiting). So much of this process could be alot better...
Napa already sent out a mass rejection on 12/14/2014 around 2:14 pm. I believe that they rolled out invites at the same time they do rejections. I wish you the best of luck!

I haven't heard from University of Kansas underserved track either. We have a while to go till their notification date, too... :whistle:

I did actually JUST hear back from WVU Health Sciences Center (not UCC) with a visit day scheduled. If this is the same WVU you are referring too, hopefully, you will get some positive correspondence soon!

Congrats! I am still waiting to hear from Dr. Linton, but emailed Monday. Hopefully more emails will go out soon!

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else still waiting to get confirmation of interview dates at North Central Bronx Hospital? I emailed them my preferred dates and called when I didn't hear back from them after 24 hours (as instructed to do in the invite letter) and left a message. But I still haven't heard back yet.

Just had a site tell me that they made a mistake in scheduling me on a certain date, and updated my new interview date to one that I put as a "second choice" on a preference list of a site I really like. It makes it harder because I really like both sites! So I emailed the other site to request to change the second preference date I had listed, since I can no longer do the other.

I realize it's not a huge deal, I just feel like I look very disorganized by doing that. I'm hoping the site understands that this process is a mess and stuff like that happens? ugh.

Off to go for a run. The high sugar intake is only making me more nervous!

I just had the same thing happen and possibly for the same site. They gave me my first choice and just emailed me and said they needed to reschedule me for my third choice (which I already have an interview scheduled on). I emailed them and told that that I cannot switch, but am concerned bc it sounded like she already rescheduled me without even asking. I do not know what to do.

As a piece of unsolicited advice, try to stay healthy during interview season...which also coincides with cold and flu season. If you haven't gotten your flu shot already, then get one. Eat right, drink lots of water, and get as much sleep as possible. Wash your hands religiously. Use hand sanitizer in public places and after shaking hands. Airports are terribly germy places. Don't take any risks with your health at this time if you can at all help it.

Reactions: 2 users
As a piece of unsolicited advice, try to stay healthy during interview season...which also coincides with cold and flu season. If you haven't gotten your flu shot already, then get one. Eat right, drink lots of water, and get as much sleep as possible. Wash your hands religiously. Use hand sanitizer in public places and after shaking hands. Airports are terribly germy places. Don't take any risks with your health at this time if you can at all help it.

Amen. I swear by packages of lysol wipes for airplanes. I maybe look a bit crazy for 20 seconds, but I make sure to wipe down the armrests, the tray table, anything I'll be touching often on the flight. More often than not, the person next to me asks if they can have one to clean off their trays, too!

I would add to that list-- stretch, regularly. I threw my back out this morning and have to fly half way across the country tomorrow. I'll be that creepy looking girl at the interview hobbling around like an ogre…

Reactions: 3 users
Hi, all- if there's anyone out there who's interviewing at Oklahoma Health Consortium on Jan. 23 and has not yet booked their hotel reservation, please PM me! I booked a non-refundable room for 2 nights (Jan. 22 and 23) before I realized I actually have a friend in Oklahoma City whom I can stay with, so I'd love to give away the hotel reservation at a very discounted rate, if anyone's interested. Thanks!!

I kept it very straightforward; I PM'D you a copy (if anyone else wants to see it just let me know). I was expecting a rejection, so wanted to keep it short and respectful. The gist of it was: I applied to their program and read on their brochure that they intended to notify of interviews by Dec. 15 but that I had not received a notification either way (indicated I checked my spam folder); I then asked if they could update me on my status, and thanked them for their time/consideration of my application. When I sent the email, I figured that saying how enthusiastic I was about the site wouldn't 1) change my status at that point and 2) be potentially more awkward when receiving a reply from the training director (the person I emailed) if I was not invited. I think I maybe would have made it a little bit warmer (maybe sound more excited?) if I had expected differently though. :)

If you don't mind, I would love a copy! I am drafting one of these emails up now!

anyone receive rejections from Northwestern LGBT Health Psych OR U of Kansas Medical Center? I'm not even gonna bother asking about WVU.
Still waiting for UKMC as well, glad to know I'm not the only one! On their APPIC, it says the notification date is 12/31/13, but I'm guessing it goes for this year as well!

Seriously. Flu shot. Vitamin C and Zinc. Fluids and sleep. I got pneumonia in December last year when I was applying, but luckily all my interviews were in January, so I had to take it really easy for a few weeks to make sure I recovered and did not get sick again. If I had gotten it a few weeks later, it would have been a disaster.

If you don't mind, I would love a copy! I am drafting one of these emails up now!

Sent!

Seriously. Flu shot.

Weren't there news reports recently about the flu shot not being as effective against the strain going around this year? I like Zicam a lot when I start feeling sick; I firmly believe it helps. Stay healthy all!

I kept it very straightforward; I PM'D you a copy (if anyone else wants to see it just let me know). I was expecting a rejection, so wanted to keep it short and respectful. The gist of it was: I applied to their program and read on their brochure that they intended to notify of interviews by Dec. 15 but that I had not received a notification either way (indicated I checked my spam folder); I then asked if they could update me on my status, and thanked them for their time/consideration of my application. When I sent the email, I figured that saying how enthusiastic I was about the site wouldn't 1) change my status at that point and 2) be potentially more awkward when receiving a reply from the training director (the person I emailed) if I was not invited. I think I maybe would have made it a little bit warmer (maybe sound more excited?) if I had expected differently though. :)
Would you mind PMing me a copy of your letter as well please? I'm drafting one up right now for UWashington SoM, their notification dates was at the beginning of this month! Thank you :)

UC Davis invite (no date scheduled yet)

The invites will actually be coming out later tonight and this week via email, but the site had a questions about my emphasis choice, so called me early :) Very excited about this one.

For those of you who haven't heard from sites that were supposed to notify by a certain date, worth emailing them. I emailed a site yesterday I hadn't heard from on Monday (that others did), and they replied today that I had an interview invite (indicated they thought they had sent out all emails on Monday, so they wouldn't have known had I not emailed them).

Ditto, I e-mailed a site a day after their notification date and they offered an interview. They said they e-mailed me over the weekend, but I never got it, so moral of the story is: contact them if you haven't heard from them after their stated notification date!

UC Davis invite (no date scheduled yet)

The invites will actually be coming out later tonight and this week via email, but the site had a questions about my emphasis choice, so called me early :) Very excited about this one.

Congrats! Did they tell you they would be sending out the invites tonight? That is the last site that I am waiting to hear from.

If your site is having an "Open House" but then says mentions "interviews" what exactly does that mean?
Those are two separate events the site holds. An interview is well, just the interview portion. Open House is more "informal" although you should also consider this as part of your interview and stay in "interview mode." It is a way to learn more about the site, meet and greet staff, get a better feel of the place that you wouldn't get with just an interview. Some sites require that you attend, others make it optional. I've been told by current interns to attend the Open House whenever possible because not only do you learn more about them, but they also learn more about you. Hope that helps!

Congrats! Did they tell you they would be sending out the invites tonight? That is the last site that I am waiting to hear from.

By the end of the week :) good luck

By the end of the week :) good luck

Sounds good. I was already aware that the notification date was by the end of the week on Friday, but I thought there may have been hope to hear earlier. Congrats again! What a great site.

Those are two separate events the site holds. An interview is well, just the interview portion. Open House is more "informal" although you should also consider this as part of your interview and stay in "interview mode." It is a way to learn more about the site, meet and greet staff, get a better feel of the place that you wouldn't get with just an interview. Some sites require that you attend, others make it optional. I've been told by current interns to attend the Open House whenever possible because not only do you learn more about them, but they also learn more about you. Hope that helps!
Thanks so much! I was rather confused, but one of my sites calls it an "Open House" in one sentence and then says that we will interview in another sentence. I guess I should just assume that both will take place on the same day.

Sent!

Weren't there news reports recently about the flu shot not being as effective against the strain going around this year? I like Zicam a lot when I start feeling sick; I firmly believe it helps. Stay healthy all!

Yes, not as effective, BUT more effective than no vaccine at all. The deal is that the WHO recommends the top three "most likely troublesome" strains of the flu virus to be included in the flu shot formulation each season, but it's hard to predict which three really will be most troublesome. The trivalent vaccine this season was less effective at preventing flu than it has been many other seasons. ANOTHER BUT, the vaccine IS effective against the strains it included, so it's got that going for it, which is nice.

YET ANOTHER BUT, this season the WHO recommended a fourth strain to be included in quadrivalent formulations of the vaccine. That one covers a bigger percentage of the troublesome strains. You can get that one at many pharmacies, and many times it is free if you have insurance. Other times, you may be able to get it free or for $20 or so through student health at your school. Check http://flu.gov to find out where you can get the quadrivalent formulation.

LAST THINGS and I'll shut up: this vaccine starts building immunity immediate but takes 2 WEEKS to become fully potent. So right now is a good time to get it if you want to be as immune as possible before January interviews. I guess the main thing here is that, no it isn't totally effective, but it's something, and I can't think of a worse feeling than missing interviews because of the flu after having chosen NOT to get the vaccine.

FW, this isn't a rant directed at you, just more like a PSA in answer to your concern. Sorry if it came off like that at all. But please do get back in the bag. :D

Reactions: 3 users
So, I just recently sent off all of my applications for clinical psych PhD programs. Reading through the doctoral application thread, this thread, and the post-doc interview thread is a truly terrifying experience- the anxiety, the *hoping*, and the waiting never end in this profession, do they? :confused:

Anyways, big fat congratulations to all of you with interviews, and hugs to those still waaaaaiting. I'm going to go cry into a pillow now.

So, I just recently sent off all of my applications for clinical psych PhD programs. Reading through the doctoral application thread, this thread, and the post-doc interview thread is a truly terrifying experience- the anxiety, the *hoping*, and the waiting never end in this profession, do they? :confused:

Anyways, big fat congratulations to all of you with interviews, and hugs to those still waaaaaiting. I'm going to go cry into a pillow now.

On the contrary, I've learned that it always ends! While each challenge may seem like the most anxiety provoking and difficult one yet, you also conquer each one. Pretty cool, in the big picture of things. From those initial apps, to your first client, first oral presentation, comps (!), to dissertation defense, internship apps and interviews- I look back and think "holy crap- I did those things!" Even amidst all the worry I have about the current stressor.

So take it a step at a time, being sure to appreciate each one.. Maybe after it's done. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hi-

Anyone have an interview with Monterey County Behavioral Health-Children Services on 1/22 and willing to switch to 1/30? I had confirmed for 1/30 earlier in the week but was offered an interview today for the same day I could not decline. Right now both days are fully booked and I am hoping to switch- I could likely help you with some travel costs, if needed.

Thanks!

Still waiting on three but two have sent out invites already, does anyone know if the following are still considering applications/ sending invitations?
1. Kings County- Adult Track
2. Larned State Hospital

Congrats to everyone who is done!!
I'm still waiting on Kings County - Adult track, too. Their notify date is 12/30, I think. :\

FW, this isn't a rant directed at you, just more like a PSA in answer to your concern. Sorry if it came off like that at all. But please do get back in the bag. :D

Good information; I did not take it as a rant. I never said I was concerned though. What do you mean get back in the bag? Are you implying I'm anxious? I'm not. Good luck to you.

Good information; I did not take it as a rant. I never said I was concerned. What do you mean get back in the bag? (Are you implying I'm anxious? I'm not). Good luck to you.

I think it's in reference to your usernames..

Reactions: 1 users
Question: When sending Thank You's after an interview, do you mail an actual card or send an e-mail? Is there a protocol that I don't know about?

On the contrary, I've learned that it always ends! While each challenge may seem like the most anxiety provoking and difficult one yet, you also conquer each one. Pretty cool, in the big picture of things. From those initial apps, to your first client, first oral presentation, comps (!), to dissertation defense, internship apps and interviews- I look back and think "holy crap- I did those things!" Even amidst all the worry I have about the current stressor.

So take it a step at a time, being sure to appreciate each one.. Maybe after it's done. :)

Well, that's encouraging. I actually really appreciate the perspective. Thanks :):cat:

First interview tomorrow! GAH nervous. Anyone else find that they HAD to schedule their favorite sites first? Nothing like going in without a practice round...