2014-2015 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First interview tomorrow! GAH nervous. Anyone else find that they HAD to schedule their favorite sites first? Nothing like going in without a practice round...

yes - I'm in the same boat. good luck mello

Members don't see this ad.

Good information; I did not take it as a rant. I never said I was concerned though. What do you mean get back in the bag? Are you implying I'm anxious? I'm not. Good luck to you.

Sorry, I am a Bag of Owls, and you have feathered wings. I must have misidentified you as an owl. You don't seem anxious at all! Glad I didn't come off as ranty! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Good information; I did not take it as a rant. I never said I was concerned though. What do you mean get back in the bag? Are you implying I'm anxious? I'm not. Good luck to you.

I think Bag of Owls was making a funny about finding one of the owls that's escaped (i.e., featheredwyngs). I don't think it was intended to imply anything but rather add a little humor in our stressful, stressful lives. :joyful:

Along the original line of thes topic, I have been avoiding sick people (I would say like the plague, but that's just too much). I refused to see someone on the unit with the stomach flu... felt badly for two seconds, then realized that it's self care and has to happen for us all right now! Good luck as we approach the germ-sharing season, everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First interview tomorrow! GAH nervous. Anyone else find that they HAD to schedule their favorite sites first? Nothing like going in without a practice round...

yes - I'm in the same boat. good luck mello

It happened to me, too! Good luck to both of you, and I hope you find that a first interview at a site you love makes you more comfortable with subsequent interviews!

I'm sorry you got put in that situation. It's instances like that plus my whole deal of back-to-back interviews that make me frustrated with our training directors' and others' advice. They tell you things like "Don't have your top site be your first interview, put them more in the middle" and "Don't put too many interviews in one week" because yes, clearly, that is ideal. However, when it's not practical or possible to lay things out in an ideal way, that creates a sense of unease because you've already been forewarned how you're "not supposed to" do that. In my mind, it just adds another layer of pressure to this already insane situation because you somehow feel like you're doing something wrong when really it's just the cards you've been dealt. I mean, seriously, do we have control over when sites offer interviews or if we even got asked to interview? Not a chance. Advice can be nice, but I think it's also somewhat problematic because it can creep into our subconscious and make us second guess the choices we made (or were forced to make).

Getting ready to book my flights for January, and thought I'd check on my last few hold-outs...
  • Univ of Kansas Medical: sent out invites to Comprehensive track applicants, but any word on the Underserved Populations track?...
Update: I called Univ of Kansas yesterday and they said they expected the invites for the underserved populations track would be sent out no later than Friday 12/19. The interview dates were 1/9 and 1/16. FYI their deadline for notification is 12/31, so they could take longer.

Anyone receive an invite to the Brooklyn VA? I'm tempted to call/email the TD since they have 12/15 as their notification date...

Question: When sending Thank You's after an interview, do you mail an actual card or send an e-mail? Is there a protocol that I don't know about?
Send an email OR card IF it will make you feel better in this stressful process. But it is NOT necessary or likely to effect outcomes either way. TDs know that some students will do this genuinely, some will do it to try to influence the process, and some will not have the money to buy stationary or the time to pen notes. Do what helps you manage your time and stress.

Reactions: 4 users
Send an email OR card IF it will make you feel better in this stressful process. But it is NOT necessary or likely to effect outcomes either way. TDs know that some students will do this genuinely, some will do it to try to influence the process, and some will not have the money to buy stationary or the time to pen notes. Do what helps you manage your time and stress.
I agree! I think email is better because personal cards can get lost in the mail. And I never know which address to use.

Anyone heard from Howard Counseling Center yet? I know their notification date is this Monday...but hoping invites go out sooner. :)

Oscar G. Johnson VAMC
Invite
Personal email
Phone interview only
Thursdays in Jan
1 hour between 9-4:30

Ann Arbor VA!
Personal call from TD
Told I was one of their top applicants and would be a very good fit, reminded of the open house dates Jan 14 and 21. Asked to please RSVP by email. Reminded the Open House does not affect rankings at all, just good for confirming fit from the applicant's point of view.

Bet they are working through a list, everyone! Hoo hoo! :owle:

Edit: Neuropsychology for me, so I guess that falls under the neuro/gero/health track at Ann Arbor. He didn't mention it in the call.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

This is a long shot, but would anyone interviewing at Pacific U. on 1/9 be willing to switch to 1/16? I emailed them after not hearing by their notification date and was offered an interview; however, I already have an interview on the 16th (the only day they have slots remaining). It would be in my best interest to attend both interviews (as one is affiliated with my school). If anyone is available/willing, I would be forever grateful and maybe we can work something out with expenses!

Thank you so much!!!

Did anyone else still not hear anything from St. Luke's?

I can't help with your specific request but another idea is to use AirBnB. It is a formalized rental process but is in someone's home and is WAYYY more affordable and can be more convenient. As examples: less than a mile to the Washington DC VA and is $70 a night or less than a mile from EVMS and is $55 a night. Both prices include wireless internet, cable, parking, washer/dryer, and kitchen to name a few amenities.

If you (or anyone) decide to use it, PM me and I'll give you my referral code bc it'll give you $25 off (and credit me $25 for my next trip).

I second AirBnB. I'm staying in Brooklyn this evening for my interview at Rusk tomorrow. The folks I am staying with are lovely and they have a wonderful private room with its own bathroom. AirBnB has an option of searching for these kinds of things. I also got the room at a fraction of the cost of even the cheapest hoteI could find. Soo worth it. Look for places with lots of good reviews.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone interviewing at the Maine VA received confirmation on your specific interview date? They begin Monday and I have heard nothing since submitting the rank order of my preferred interview dates.

Side note: Why has every hotel I've stayed at provided an abundance of cookies?! Cookies at check in, cookies during happy hour, cookies before bed...COOKIES.

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else still not hear anything from St. Luke's?
I still have not heard anything either. I was giving them today, but am thinking about emailing tomorrow if I still haven't heard.

Are many of you still waiting on sites? I'm waiting on two, and am not sure when to just count them as rejections and make my other travel reservations. I emailed them Tues

Side note: Why has every hotel I've stayed at provided an abundance of cookies?! Cookies at check in, cookies during happy hour, cookies before bed...COOKIES.
Have they all been Hiltons? They have cookie fever.

anyone receive rejections from Northwestern LGBT Health Psych OR U of Kansas Medical Center? I'm not even gonna bother asking about WVU.
I got a rejection for Northwestern by mail (as in post). I haven't heard from Kansas Medical Center, and at this point I would reject an interview. I made my travel plans... but no have not heard

Got a late invite to UCSF/SFGH CAS this morning! :)
Personalized email, invites on 1/6 and 1/7.

Interviewing in Philadelphia today with lunch in town. Hoping for COOKIES. And maybe to meet a few other fellow SDNers. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Still waiting on Trinitias Regional Medical Center. Wondering if anyone is in the same boat? Thanks!

Still waiting on Trinitias Regional Medical Center. Wondering if anyone is in the same boat? Thanks!
I am! It seems they sent out mass invites and mass rejections, so maybe we're on some kind of waiting list?

Has anyone received confirmation of their interview date at Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial VAMC (Bedford)? I really need to know so I can start booking things! Hoping they'll tell us today...

Anyone receive an invite to the Brooklyn VA? I'm tempted to call/email the TD since they have 12/15 as their notification date...

I received a mass rejection a couple weeks ago. I would email to confirm and I am usually opposed to such things but it is way past their due date.

Ann Arbor VA!
Personal call from TD
Told I was one of their top applicants and would be a very good fit, reminded of the open house dates Jan 14 and 21. Asked to please RSVP by email. Reminded the Open House does not affect rankings at all, just good for confirming fit from the applicant's point of view.

Bet they are working through a list, everyone! Hoo hoo! :owle:

Edit: Neuropsychology for me, so I guess that falls under the neuro/gero/health track at Ann Arbor. He didn't mention it in the call.

That is awesome news!! I had heard they would not be contacting anyone (heard this from a prior intern) -- so that must be pretty great news for you and you must be a very special owl :D Congrats!!

I'm just waiting on one more.....

Yes I had this same concern before my interview this week. Then I came out realizing it was not the best fit and I don't think it is my favorite site anymore. It's interesting to see how visiting a place in person, talking with staff and interns, can change our perspective much more than what we gathered from a training brochure.

I am sure this varies by site, but was wondering if anyone knew whether sites rank right after the string of interviews are done, or if the faculty reconvene closer to the ranking date to come up with a final ranking list?

Just wondering..for the doctoral program I am at for instance, I know faculty get together at the end of the interview day to tentatively rank applicants, and finalize the list a few days later, e.g. after they gather more information from other sources - but this is for the doctoral program not for the internship.

Reading this thread has planted a suggestive image of cookies in my mind; I am more of a cake person but the last two days I have been having cookies in dough and baked forms. Probably should go to gym and do something like this::zip:

Good luck with interviews everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone apply to Aurora Behavioral Health Services (Wisconsin)? If so, have you heard about interviews? Today is the notify by date.

Same- I checked and still nothing.
Check inbox... check spam... check phone... repeat. This has been me for the past couple weeks. Still nothing from them. I am not holding my breath because I assume this is a popular site and not many people are likely to turn down interviews, but who knows! Good luck to others who are waiting, as well.

I just heard back from WVU Charleston to my email inquiry (I emailed the TD on Monday 12/15 for the first time). It was a short (3 sentence) response but he indicated that the visiting day I inquired about was filled up. I was not surprised about this given how late my email was in contacting him, so hadn't actually requested the date in my email - just made mention to it if by any chance it was still available (but had also mentioned speaking to him further about the program via phone or email). He suggested I be in contact with a specific faculty member (which I had indicated in my email I planned to do) based on my interest in a certain aspect of the program and finished by indicating I would remain a very strong applicant for a slot in the program.

Did anyone not hear either way from advocate family healthcare network? I never did and tried to email the contact listed on the brochure Gene Carroccia and received an automatic email about him being gone from July 7 to july 14....2014.... So......

I just heard back from WVU Charleston to my email inquiry (I emailed the TD on Monday 12/15 for the first time). It was a short (3 sentence) response but he indicated that the visiting day I inquired about was filled up. I was not surprised about this given how late my email was in contacting him, so hadn't actually requested the date in my email - just made mention to it if by any chance it was still available (but had also mentioned speaking to him further about the program via phone or email). He suggested I be in contact with a specific faculty member (which I had indicated in my email I planned to do) based on my interest in a certain aspect of the program and finished by indicating I would remain a very strong applicant for a slot in the program.

I received a similar response today when I sent a follow-up email to the first email I sent a couple of weeks ago.

Still waiting to hear back from four sites. . . Not sure if it is appropriate to email or not?
The Children's Institute has their notification date for 1/10/15. . . should I email them or just wait until the 10th?
The Sullivan Center's notification date is today 12/19/14, but still have not heard back.
The Infant-Parent-Program notification date says 12/20 of 2013! What do I do?! The dates I found for the IPP range from 2012 to 2014 and are kind of confusing.
And the other site I cannot get ahold of because it is within a consortium. . .

Has anyone heard from these sites by chance? :)

These nerves are getting the best of me.

Still waiting to hear back from four sites. . . Not sure if it is appropriate to email or not?
The Children's Institute has their notification date for 1/10/15. . . should I email them or just wait until the 10th?
The Sullivan Center's notification date is today 12/19/14, but still have not heard back.
The Infant-Parent-Program notification date says 12/20 of 2013! What do I do?! The dates I found for the IPP range from 2012 to 2014 and are kind of confusing.
And the other site I cannot get ahold of because it is within a consortium. . .

Has anyone heard from these sites by chance? :)

These nerves are getting the best of me.
I am also waiting for Children's Institute and Infant-Parent Program - YOU'RE NOT ALONE!! I was considering contacting Children's Institute because with a notification date of 1/10, interviews/open house in "mid-January," and me not living close to the site, I would prefer to know sooner rather than later if I need to make travel arrangements! Not sure if I want to email them though... :nailbiting:

I received a similar response today when I sent a follow-up email to the first email I sent a couple of weeks ago.

Good to know - I wasn't sure how stock the email might be. Not sure if anyone else received a different type of reply recently too.

Ever missed a call from the TD of a site--but had to google the number to know that because they didn't leave a message?

:confused:
Awkward.

Ever missed a call from the TD of a site--but had to google the number to know that because they didn't leave a message?

Awkward.
I missed a call from a TD a couple weeks ago-- emailed back because I didn't get a voicemail/extension to call back-- then an hour later I got a mass rejection email with no personalized response to my email about the phone call. Super awkward and disappointing. :(

Last edited:
I missed a call from a TD a couple weeks ago-- emailed back because I didn't get a voicemail/extension to call back-- then an hour later I got a mass rejection email with no personalized response to my email about the phone call. Super awkward and disappointing. :(
omg -- support for my rationale to not call back... I was already in the buoyant mood of being over the notification phase. Easier to shift right back into it than to obsess. Thanks!

Awkward.
Yep! It worked out in my favor, though! But the not leaving a message thing I felt was rather weird.

Children's Institute, Inc.
12/19/14 (a Friday evening!!)
Mass email rejection
No cookies, but went to the movies and watched A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night. It was amazing.

Just waiting on one more site!

Did anyone not hear either way from advocate family healthcare network? I never did and tried to email the contact listed on the brochure Gene Carroccia and received an automatic email about him being gone from July 7 to july 14....2014.... So......

They called me for an interview invite beginning of December. I haven't heard about rejections going out yet though.