2014-2015 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview invite to the Salem VAMC by phone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Uh oh I may be in trouble. I had to change my phone number soon after I submitted my applications. (I sent them all in at the same time). I rushed to change the number in the main application but couldn't change it in the submitted CV etc. I thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal since I thought invites were always through email but I am now seeing that some sites are calling!

Should I contact all the directors and correct my phone number?? Ugh UGHHH!!!
I think sites will attempt to reach you by email when they realize they can't reach you by phone. They won't just abandon you! If you are really worried you could send out an email letting the directors know of your new number.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I would. They will probably email you if they can't reach you by phone, but for sites that give you a choice of dates, the best dates go FAST so I wouldn't want my notification to be delayed!

This process had me seriously doubting myself. I thought I was a great fit for Rush, but I guess they thought otherwise (I'm assuming the rejection is on its way, since no interview). I'm just really questioning if I applied to the wrong tips of sites...... I think I need to go practice my mindfulness skills :)

Still waiting too.

I'm still waiting on a bunch of sites! Some I am 95% sure a rejection is coming, but others I (nor anyone else) have heard anything, when last year invites had already been sent (Texas Children's, Minnesota Medical). Of course there is nothing to say that just because a site did X last year means they will do X again this year. But it gives me something to obsess about.

This process had me seriously doubting myself. I thought I was a great fit for Rush, but I guess they thought otherwise (I'm assuming the rejection is on its way, since no interview). I'm just really questioning if I applied to the wrong tips of sites...... I think I need to go practice my mindfulness skills :)
I'm feeling the same way. I thought that I was a great match for Nationwide and Mailman center, and yet...

It's making me worry that I won't get one at all. I know I'm not thinking straight because I have a lot of sights left. It's just hard to help thinking that way. Mindfulness skills it is!

So I see that Indianapolis Roudebush VA sent out rejections (11/18) and invites (11/21) via mass emails. I got neither. So, what does that mean?

- Invite - Arkansas State Hospital
- Mass email
- Interview dates:
December 12, 2014
December 19, 2014
January 9, 2015
January 16, 2015
January 23, 2015

Reactions: 2 users
They said it's an Open House style - so no need to pick a track yet.

I applied to Peds, Early Interventions, and Forensic

Anyone receive word from Mailmain re: Autism Spectrum Disorder and Neurodevelopmental Disabilities track?

I'm surprised people are hearing so early and thought invites/ rejections would roll in a little later this month?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone receive word from Mailmain re: Autism Spectrum Disorder and Neurodevelopmental Disabilities track?

I'm surprised people are hearing so early and thought invites/ rejections would roll in a little later this month?
I'm surprised too. I didn't think I'd need to be compulsively refreshing my email (and now checking spam folder too) until after Thanksgiving.

I'm not giving up hope until a rejection enters my inbox : ). Stay positive!
Unfortunately I have 3 rejections in my inbox so far and 0 invitations. Luckily I have plenty of sights left to hear from. :)

I think a big piece is that this thread is a hugely biased sample! People on here log in just to post invites or rejections, so it makes it seem like everyone's getting them. There are hundreds and hundreds of sites, and when it's all said and done, most of the sites abide by the December 15th date. My current practicum site is a very popular internship placement, and they're only in the initial stages of reviewing almost 300 applicants. The TD there says he's lucky every year if he gets anything out by 12/15.

Reactions: 9 users

I am in your position for another site (e.g., others on the list have heard from it -- I have not) and it's so stressful! Agh.

Anyway, I did hear from Mailman today via email and was interested in the ASD/NDD track as well (note that the invite states that the Open House isn't track specific).

I am in your position for another site (e.g., others on the list have heard from it -- I have not) and it's so stressful! Agh.

Anyway, I did hear from Mailman today via email and was interested in the ASD/NDD track as well (note that the invite states that the Open House isn't track specific).

Oy. Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed I hear something soon!

I think a big piece is that this thread is a hugely biased sample! People on here log in just to post invites or rejections, so it makes it seem like everyone's getting them. There are hundreds and hundreds of sites, and when it's all said and done, most of the sites abide by the December 15th date. My current practicum site is a very popular internship placement, and they're only in the initial stages of reviewing almost 300 applicants. The TD there says he's lucky every year if he gets anything out by 12/15.

Some interviews came even later than the 15th last year.

I noticed that someone posted about Marcus Autism Center ...anyone else heard from them yet??

I noticed that someone posted about Marcus Autism Center ...anyone else heard from them yet??
Nope, still waiting.. I applied to the treatment track as well. I wonder if they're doing rolling invites.

Well, if that is it for the week, then I hope everyone has a good weekend!!! Maybe we can turn our brains off for a couple of days and not think about interview notifications. Maybe...

Reactions: 4 users
People who applied last year, question to you: are we expecting any invites/rejections over the Thanksgiving week? And do sites notify at all Friday after Thanksgiving?
Thanks!

People who applied last year, question to you: are we expecting any invites/rejections over the Thanksgiving week? And do sites notify at all Friday after Thanksgiving?
Thanks!
I believe VA Boston (fka Boston Consortium) notifies the day before Thanksgiving.

Rejection via mass e-mail from Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services.

Thanks!

I remember getting three invites the week of Thanksgiving, two on Tuesday, and one on Wednesday. I would think it's unlikely you would get a notification on the Friday after Thanksgiving, but who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone else receive the email invitation to University of Mississippi Medical Center/VAMC's party at ABCT tonight? I figured they were inviting all applicants, but then realized the email was sent to about 30 people. I wonder if they sent multiple emails covering all the applicants.

Thanks!
Yeah I definitely heard some during the week of Thanksgiving. I did not get anything on Friday but I got my first rejection last year as soon as I landed from my Thanksgiving trip.

Just received my first official rejection. Puget Sound Seattle VA. Sort of knew this one was coming! Good luck guys :)

Just received my first official rejection. Puget Sound Seattle VA. Sort of knew this one was coming! Good luck guys :)
Received two rejections so far BUT also my first invite (Reading Hospital) today!!! Really happy and excited :clap::highfive:

Reactions: 5 users
Uh oh I may be in trouble. I had to change my phone number soon after I submitted my applications. (I sent them all in at the same time). I rushed to change the number in the main application but couldn't change it in the submitted CV etc. I thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal since I thought invites were always through email but I am now seeing that some sites are calling!

I would contact. I got some calls last year, and those interview dates fill up quick.

Also rejected from Puget sound- Seattle. At least we are in this together :)

Also rejected from Puget sound- Seattle. At least we are in this together :)

Moi aussi!

First thing I've heard from any site I've applied to, other than mass invite to meet and greet.

Glad to see I'm not the only one, but sorry for us all!

Well I'm bummed. I really wanted the Mailman Center. No rejection yet, but it's not looking good.

Updated

(ps just a reminder that I do not actually "like" anyone's bad news--just trying to keep track of the many postings using the like button)

Reactions: 3 users
I've not heard either way from Reading, CT VA, or Yale. Since some have invites at this point is it safe to assume I've been rejected from those three sites?

Haha…I had a dream I was interviewing at a site I didn't even know about! Q: "Why do you want to intern here?" A: "Uh I dunno…" Response: "You really should look at our website before you come interview"

Oh good ol' APPIC anxiety!
I had a dream that I woke up at 11:45pm and the application cut off was at midnight and I was rushing to quickly do the cover letter etc. in 15 minutes and then... it was too late.

Last edited:
I've not heard either way from Reading, CT VA, or Yale. Since some have invites at this point is it safe to assume I've been rejected from those three sites?
Not at all-- don't count yourself out unless you get an official rejection notice! Sites often have rolling invite processes (i.e., they notify in batches over time) or notify on different dates based on the track to which you applied. You may have applied to a different track than those posting on this website. Hope this helps! Crossing fingers for ya.:xf:

Interview offer from MercyFirst 11/21 via phone call. Interview is 12/18

I totally commiserate and also thought that I was a good fit for Rush. No rejection yet but I am not so hopeful about my chances there at this point.

Not at all-- don't count yourself out unless you get an official rejection notice! Sites often have rolling invite processes (i.e., they notify in batches over time) or notify on different dates based on the track to which you applied. You may have applied to a different track than those posting on this website. Hope this helps! Crossing fingers for ya.:xf:
Thanks diversity doc!

So I see that Indianapolis Roudebush VA sent out rejections (11/18) and invites (11/21) via mass emails. I got neither. So, what does that mean?

I received neither. Fingers crossed they're doing waves.