2014-2015 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I matched to my #1 site!!!! I am soooo excited about the program, but also I only got ONE interview out of 21 sites I applied to! I am a walking urban legend! It really only takes one!
Congratulations!! That is amazing!!

Members don't see this ad.

I matched to my #1 site!!!! I am soooo excited about the program, but also I only got ONE interview out of 21 sites I applied to! I am a walking urban legend! It really only takes one!

So impressive, congratulations! You will be major inspiration for people in future years reading this thread!

Reactions: 1 users
Looking at the openings in phase II is really incredible- my second ranked spot has 3 open positions, including the one I ranked number 2!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Amazing sites in Phase II-holy moly!

Would anyone mind sharing the list of phase II sites? I'm just curious. Or maybe it's too long, I can't remember what it looked like last year. Thanks either way. :)

Just got call from my training director!!Its official!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Matched to my number one site today, beyond thrilled!
The support on this forum has meant a lot during the last few months!
And I wish the best of luck to everyone who is preparing for Phase II, it's not over till it's over, folks!

Reactions: 6 users
Got the email from my training director! I replied back with a typo so it's off to a great start ;) Hopefully they'll understand my compromised typing skills in the face of my excitement.

Matched to my #2! Feels really good!

Congrats to everyone who successfully matched...we did it!! :singing:

My heart goes out to those who have not yet matched; I wish you luck during Phase II.

Last edited:
I matched (to my first pick!)!

I took a look at phase-II sites and noticed there are a lot of incredible openings. Actually, like 6 sites I ranked lower on my list still have openings. They are all forensic-oriented sites.... if you are applying to any of forensic sites for phase-II, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to tell you about how my interview experience there was (if it's one of the places I interviewed at) and any helpful info I can give to help you out. Good luck!!

I can't get the list of Phase II sites to load. Did you all get this in an email? I didn't see it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched in Virginia!!! Feel free to PM me if you want to talk further :)

To everyone that didn't match: I know there are no words that take away the sadness, disappointment, and frustration. I didn't cry for months after not matching last year bc I just was such shock and so angry for a long time. I wish there was something I could do in a tangible way to make things feel better. What I can offer is my support and encouragement. I hope you are able to find reminders that you are absolutely not alone and that your loved ones and our little SDN cohort have your back. Try your best to remember that not matching isn't an indicator of you--it's an indicator of a broken system. I am so sorry. :(

Reactions: 8 users
As improbable as this seems, your situation, down to the numbers, is identical to mine. 21 applications, 1 interview, and matched. Really excited about the site too. Hopefully this will encourage future applicants when they become concerned about their number of interviews. Anything is possible.

Congrats to everyone that matched and good luck in phase 2 for those that didn't.

I did match but am wondering if others have yet to be contacted by their TD? I know that it is already official but would still like the confirmation....

Congrats to everyone that matched and good luck in phase 2 for those that didn't.

I did match but am wondering if others have yet to be contacted by their TD? I know that it is already official but would still like the confirmation....

I haven't yet. I think it's pretty common for TDs to call later or email, or even not call at all since it's not a requirement.

There are A LOT of good sites on Phase II. If you didn't match, you have plenty of choices go in there and kick this internship imbalance in the ass!

Matched to my number 2!!! Super exciting
I did hear from my TD this morning. It was a short call welcoming me to the internship and letting me know about some logistics.

Reactions: 4 users
FOURTH TIME'S THE CHARM! I MATCHED!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Reactions: 31 users
Got the email from my training director! I replied back with a typo so it's off to a great start ;) Hopefully they'll understand my compromised typing skills in the face of my excitement.
Haha! I'm sure they will understand; besides - NO TAKE BACKS!

Reactions: 3 users
Heard from my TD. He seems so nice. Just signed the contact. It is official!

I am sooooo happy to see that you matched, congratulations! At the risk of sounding cheesy, I just want to say that I have been really impressed by your level of professionalism throughout this process. I cannot speak for everyone, but your positive attitude and motivation has been inspirational. Thank you for being so open and honest about your experience!

Wow, thanks. I really love being part of this online community :)

Now that I've seen the list of sites that have available positions in Phase II, it feels like a wonderful, giant middle finger I get to give the sites that declined me interviews. Maybe if you were a little more open-minded in the first place you wouldn't be in this position. Love, Me.

Cheers especially to all that matched who have been through the process multiple times. WE DID IT!!

:claps:

I haven't heard from my Training Director yet, either. Are we supposed to reach out to them if we don't hear anything? Also, I can't stop thinking: We made it to Match Day! That in itself is an accomplishment :clap:

Also, I can't stop thinking: We made it to Match Day! That in itself is an accomplishment :clap:
I know!! I could not sleep last night!! But I'm thankful for this forum throughout this process. Best wishes for everyone continuing to Phase II.

I haven't heard from my Training Director yet, either. Are we supposed to reach out to them if we don't hear anything? Also, I can't stop thinking: We made it to Match Day! That in itself is an accomplishment :clap:

I just emailed mine to check in.

I thought the TD's were supposed to contact their new interns between 11AM and 1PM EST, yeah? So yeah, I might shoot an email to check in, especially if you haven't heard from them by the end of the day...

Anyone who did not match, I'm sorry. It is a horrible, terrible, no good feeling. I had that experience last year in Phase I, and again in Phase II. Don't rush to get anything done today. Take a day or two to grieve.

I had a lot of interviews this time around and was very fortunate to match to one of my top choices. I took a look at the Phase II list and there are some great sites. I don't think that there is anything that I can say that will make this easier but several of the sites where I interviewed were on the Phase II list and I would be happy to share impressions, notes, thoughts about those sites if anyone is interested. Feel free to PM me.

Edith Nourse Rodgers VA
Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS)
Denver Health Medical Center
Hampton VA

Congratulations to everyone who matched! For those of you who didn't, my heart truly aches for you. Please keep your hopes up as best you can going into Phase II. I am sorry that this system failed you, as I have been so impressed with all of the amazing students on this forum.

I wanted to reach out to 1. To anyone who matched in Detroit and would like to connect. PM me to see if we are going to the same site. :) and 2. To anyone who is moving to Colorado and would like help navigating the move; that's where I live now.

Thank you all for your support throughout this arduous and scary process!

I matched (to my first pick!)!

I took a look at phase-II sites and noticed there are a lot of incredible openings. Actually, like 6 sites I ranked lower on my list still have openings. They are all forensic-oriented sites.... if you are applying to any of forensic sites for phase-II, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to tell you about how my interview experience there was (if it's one of the places I interviewed at) and any helpful info I can give to help you out. Good luck!!

I'd be willing to share info as well!

THOSE WHO DIDN'T MATCH:

I am *seriously* impressed with what's on the list for Phase II! A couple places I ranked and really super liked are on there including:
Primary Care Psychology Associates in Chicago
Indiana Behavioral Health Consortium in Indiana

Please message me if you want to know more!! I really liked them a lot I just had a change of heart about leaving Philadelphia. In addition - SEVERAL APA sites that I didn't even get interviews at have lots of spots - wow! I'm a lil envious of the Phase II opportunities!! Hang in!

I can't get over these sites in Phase II with 80-100% of their positions still open. What do you think happened there??

Reactions: 3 users
Phase II is a great opportunity to find an awesome site. I didn't match last year, but found some great sites in phase II I applied this year and interviewed with. It truly works out for the best, even if it seems terrible right now.

I can't get over these sites in Phase II with 80-100% of their positions still open. What do you think happened there??

I know that the site that did not rank my friend and sent a snail mail letter AFTER ranks were in is now in Phase ii. He ended up matching at his 2 btw.

Reactions: 2 users
Yesterday was a whirlwind! Matched at my no. 1 (with only one spot available for my track, so needless to say, I was freakin' excited). I celebrated by sleeping for 12 HOURS last night because I guess the week prior left me sleep deprived haha. Congrats to those that matched and my sympathies to those that didn't. This process is INSANE and regardless of what happened, we all deserve a pat on the back for sticking with it and giving our best efforts. Can't wait to find out who else matched at my site!

I fell asleep so early last night too - was just exhausted after yesterday.

I saw a great post by an SDNer about this once and I actually dug it up so I can quote it here (rather than awkwardly attempting to paraphrase it)

Based on my experiences (faulty/biased/etc.), Phase I interviews are offered like invitations to a middle school dance. Please bear with me on this. In middle school, boys generally ask the prettiest girl to go to the dance with them (if they ask anyone at all). What they don't realize is that there are multiple boys asking the same girl to the dance. The girl can only go with one, so she picks him and all the rest are disappointed (except for the boys who threw in a few "safety" date requests to girls that they've known since preschool or who live next door to them, i.e., the girls with whom they have similar/shared experiences). This is the Phase I interview and match process. Many sites ask the same 500-1000 prettiest applicants to interview with them (with a few idiosyncratic choices at most sites based on perception of fit and previous experience), ignoring that there are 15 other sites who this applicant also wants to dance with. On Phase I match day, the sites realize that they all asked the same prettiest applicants and some have a date for the dance and some were passed over. Then Phase II arrives (this is another big change/shift from previous years). Having been turned down by the prettiest girls (except for those boys who immediately asked the old standby friend after their initial rejection), the boys can stay home and not go to the dance, quickly ask the prettiest girl left to go to the dance with them (this was the old Clearinghouse version), or reevaluate their definition of pretty and act accordingly with it. So in Phase II, sites either drop out are forced to reevaluate their interview selection criteria. If you're going to match, you usually do it by the end of Phase II, though there are a few sites still left over the spring and summer due to a variety of scheduling, funding, or other changes. (Corresponding to the same last-minute pre-dance changes that happen to middle schoolers.)

Thanks for sticking with me through that. I don't mean to trivialize the importance of internship or the imbalance issues (or developmental issues or gender roles) but this conceptualization helps me to understand why 1) great sites end up in Phase II and 2) many great applicants don't get interviews in Phase I.

Anyone who did not match, I'm sorry. It is a horrible, terrible, no good feeling. I had that experience last year in Phase I, and again in Phase II. Don't rush to get anything done today. Take a day or two to grieve.

I had a lot of interviews this time around and was very fortunate to match to one of my top choices. I took a look at the Phase II list and there are some great sites. I don't think that there is anything that I can say that will make this easier but several of the sites where I interviewed were on the Phase II list and I would be happy to share impressions, notes, thoughts about those sites if anyone is interested. Feel free to PM me.

Edith Nourse Rodgers VA
Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS)
Denver Health Medical Center
Hampton VA
I'm also willing to share info about EVMS/Eastern State Hospital!

Matched at my #2! I absolutely LOVED the site and am beyond thrilled. But mixed in with my excitement was the fact that matching at my #1 would've meant I would get to live with my SO. Not excited about longer distance, even if it's just for a year. Yesterday was such a roller coaster of emotions for me. If anyone is moving to Indiana, PM me!

Anyway, I'm so glad to have been a part of this community. Best of luck to those who did not match! Keep your heads up.

Anyone else with a family having really mixed emotions about matching? I have two school-aged children and am finding myself on a rollercoaster of emotions about moving them from their school, my husband from his job, etc. I want to be happier, but keep feeling like I am grieving this move. I matched to my #2 program, and my #1 was in our home state so it would have meant staying where we are now.

Hi All - totally random question... I will be uprooting my family (husband, baby, and 2 dogs) to go move to the Boston area from Baltimore for internship. I've been looking at rentals in Boston and holy cow it's expensive. My husband suggested looking into "house swap" options. Anyone know websites for that? Or, even more random, anyone here moving down to the Baltimore/DC area for internship from the Boston/Providence area who'd want to house swap?!??! ;)

Anyone else with a family having really mixed emotions about matching? I have two school-aged children and am finding myself on a rollercoaster of emotions about moving them from their school, my husband from his job, etc. I want to be happier, but keep feeling like I am grieving this move. I matched to my #2 program, and my #1 was in our home state so it would have meant staying where we are now.

I can relate 100% to this. My husband is freaking out about us moving to a much more expensive city while earning half of what we were making.... and having to find a place that allows dogs and having to find a reasonably priced daycare for the baby.... ughhhhh

Hi All - totally random question... I will be uprooting my family (husband, baby, and 2 dogs) to go move to the Boston area from Baltimore for internship. I've been looking at rentals in Boston and holy cow it's expensive. My husband suggested looking into "house swap" options. Anyone know websites for that? Or, even more random, anyone here moving down to the Baltimore/DC area for internship from the Boston/Providence area who'd want to house swap?!??! ;)

Not the safest option in the world, but probably Craigslist, lol. Flights between those cities are SUPER cheap, and Boston has some less expensive suburbs, I think.

Not the safest option in the world, but probably Craigslist, lol. Flights between those cities are SUPER cheap, and Boston has some less expensive suburbs, I think.
Thanks. However, I really can't imagine living apart from my daughter for a year so flying back and forth isn't much of an option for us.

There are definitely some suburbs of Boston that are more affordable. I'd recommend taking a look at Somerville, (parts of) Cambridge, Jamaica Plain, and South Boston/Dorchester. If you don't need to use public transportation often, I'd pay particular attention to where the T stops are - typically housing gets noticeably more expensive as you get closer to MBTA stations (especially the more centrally located stations), so if you look at places that are a mile or more away from the nearest T stop and/or on the periphery of the MBTA system, you can get some great deals. If you want to PM me I can help more, I've been in the Boston area for a number of years.

I don't have a family (just future husband) but I feel mixed emotions about matching. I matched to my #3. It's because good I felt very strong positive visceral reactions to all the sites in my top 3, but my top 1 and 2 were in a much preferred geographical region for me. The area I'm moving is plenty fine with me, but I do feel guilt about uprooting my partner.

My biggest source of mixed emotion is the fact that it was #3 and not #1. I feel like a total douche expressing these feelings because I know that is the preferred option to not matching at all, or matching somewhere lower on the list. I was not surprised to not match at my #1, but my #2 was a bit of a surprise because I thought we had really connected during the interview day. I also somehow feel shameful or embarrassed because I swear to god there is literally a parade of people at my school who "matched to my #1! yayyyyy!!!!#$@#%@%!!!!" and I did not. Also I'm moving to an area where I'm probably going to pay double the rent of what I have now so that's extra stress one doesn't need during their internship year. So, yes, it's a great thing to be matched, but also there is remorse and then extra crappy feelings for feeling remorse when something great happened to me.