2014-2015 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-Site name: Rush University Medical Center

-Date notified: 11/21/14

-Invite

-Track: Health Psychology

-Mass email

-Interview dates offered: 1/7, 1/8, 1/9, 1/12, 1/13 (asked to give my top 3 date preferences)

Good luck everyone!!

For those who received interviews to RUSH Health Psych track - have you heard back from the TD when your interview will be? I responded within 15 minutes on Friday but never received a confirmation of date.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Seriously! I assumed weekends were dead zones. As if we needed more motivation to compulsively check our emails.

When I was doing this last year, I set up my email to send messages with the words "internship" and "interview" and maybe another term to go directly to a specific folder, and for my phone to make a noise when one of those emails was received. It helped to keep me from checking all the time, and it allowed me to respond quickly to make sure I got the dates I wanted for interviews. The only downside was when my grad school DCT sent us an email at 5am about preparing for interviews, and I was woken up in a panic...

Reactions: 3 users
Interview invite for Massachusetts Mental Health Center (general track) via mass email on 11/20. Interviews on 12/15.

Congrats! Fingers crossed that they will send invites for their later interview dates separately...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who received interviews to RUSH Health Psych track - have you heard back from the TD when your interview will be? I responded within 15 minutes on Friday but never received a confirmation of date.

I have not heard back either. Glad to know I am not the only one. ;)

I just got offered a personalized internship interview request from St. Louis Internship Consortium. They only gave me one day to interview (Jan 9), which happens to collide with another interview with Nebraska which ALSO only gave me one day. Any advice for how to navigate this?

Interview invite for the Milwaukee VA via personal email from TD just now! Interviews on 12/8, 12/18, 1/7, and 1/12. Good luck y'all!

Just got the invite to interview at MUSC/Charleston Consortium via personalized email. Interview dates are Dec 8, 12, 15, and jan 5, 9, 10, 12, 16, 19, 23, 24, 26. They're only interviewing 8 people per day.

Last edited:
I just got offered a personalized internship interview request from St. Louis Internship Consortium. They only gave me one day to interview (Jan 9), which happens to collide with another interview with Nebraska which ALSO only gave me one day. Any advice for how to navigate this?
Replying to my own thread. Called and they gave me another day. They're offering two days, but assign one. If you're in the same boat CALL Dr. Smith. She's incredibly nice and accommodating.

Just got the invite to interview at MUSC/Charleston Consortium via mass email. Interview dates are Dec 8, 12, 15, and jan 5, 9, 10, 12, 16, 19, 23, 24, 26. They're only interviewing 8 people per day.

Congrats JRC4112! For others applying to MUSC, the training director indicated that the invites will go out in waves. There are multiple reviewers and they each are responsible for sending the list of invitees and they don't all finish at once. Try not to panic!

What track for MUSC?
The General and Adult Psychopathology tracks. Also, my invite came from Dori Long (the administrative coordinator), but was signed by Daniel Smith (co-DT). Also, I just noticed it was not mass email - it was individual. Yes - I'm sure they're not done with invites! Don't worry!

Utah State University CAPS
interview notice via e-mail 11/24
phone interviews to be scheduled

Rush University Child/Adolescent and Pediatric Psychology Residency rejection, 11/24 via e-mail, not personalized

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else waiting to hear back from Northwestern's psychopathology track? Based on last year's timing, we could potentially hear before Thanksgiving!

UT Health Science Center San Antonio
Behavioral Medicine Track
invite via email 11/24
interview Dec 16th or 19th

So excited!

Completed application email from VA Illiana but this information may be helpful to others. They will let us know on Dec 5th if we scored an interview. Interviews are given every Monday Wednesday and Friday from 01/02-01/28 (except on MLKJr. day where the interview will be rescheduled from that Monday to Tuesday 1/20). At least I don't have to go crazy waiting for this one until 12/5!

White River Junction VAMC
Personal call and individual email received 11/24
Interview Dec 15, Dec 17, Jan 5 or Jan 6.

Yay!

Is anyone else waiting to hear back from Northwestern's psychopathology track? Based on last year's timing, we could potentially hear before Thanksgiving!
I'm waiting to hear from them. When did they notify last year?

Hi everyone. Best of luck to you as you go through the internship application process. I was recently made aware of two new internship positions at the Kansas City VAMC. Please see the attached file for more information. Because the positions are new, the program is not APA accredited. However, you may still apply to this program through APPIC. The training director is applying to have this internship become APA-accredited in the near future.

I’m sure many of you have read about the distinction between APA-accredited and non-accredited internships. Please be aware that taking this position would not harm your employment prospects within the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. Good luck!

Attachments

• KansasCity-psych-intern.docx
    75.5 KB · Views: 46
Medical College of Georgia-Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center Psychology Internship
- invitation by personal phone call on 11/24/14. Dates on December 8, 12, 15, 19 and January 7 (?), 9 (?), 23 (+ one other, not sure exact date). The lady on the phone rattled off the dates so quickly that it was difficult to catch all of them. I applied to the Community and Trauma tracks.

-Site name: University of Utah Neuropsychiatric Institute

-Date notified: 11/24/2014

-Invite or rejection: Rejection

-Track (please specify even for general tracks): General

-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Mass email

-Interview dates offered

I also just heard from MUSC (neuropsych track)... Be prepared to have your dates and the names of people you would like to interview with ready to respond.

-Site name: University of Utah Neuropsychiatric Institute

-Date notified: 11/24/2014

-Invite or rejection: Rejection

-Track (please specify even for general tracks): General

-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Mass email

-Interview dates offered
Sorry to hear...Bummer for me. Nothing in my mail box all day; no phone calls either. I was really hoping to hear something today!!! Well, maybe later.

Rejection from UAB, received today (11/24), mass email.

I haven't hear back anything from UT Health Science Center San Antonio, in case anyone else is waiting too...

Also waiting on something from Mt. Washington...hopefully they are notifying in waves.

UAB
Adult Track
invite via email 11/24
interview Dec 12th or Jan 9th

Mass email rejection received 11/24 from University of Michigan Mary A Rackham Institute.

Another round going out for Florida Health Science
- Invite
- Personal email
- Dates: 1/9, 1/16, 1/23
- Child/Peds

I haven't hear back anything from UT Health Science Center San Antonio, in case anyone else is waiting too...
I'm thinking the psychodynamic and forensic tracks will hear later since it sounds like different folks looked over different tracks. I had no idea that was such a popular site to apply to! I'm in line to hear back as well.

Their page specifies we will hear by tomorrow, so the wait won't be too long.

Interview invite from UAB Adult Track, mass email. Received 11/24/14.

UTexas San Antonio Health Sciences Center - Psychodynamic Track
Invite via email on 11/24 (and a very kind email I might add!)
Interview Dec 10 or Dec 16 (w/ 10th preferred)

Last edited:
UTexas Austin Health Sciences Center - Psychodynamic Track
Invite via email on 11/24 (and a very kind email I might add!)
Interview Dec 10 or Dec 16 (w/ 10th preferred)
Do you mean at San Antonio, or is there an Austin one as well?

Geeze! My brain is fried. I mean San Antonio! Not sure what Freud would say about that slip. :)
I applied to psychodynamic and forensic, and it sounds like different tracks may have different interview days. In the event I get interviews for both, I hope they will let me go on the same day! Do sites normally try to accommodate applicants on this? Does anyone know?