2014-2015 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information.
2000 character limit.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
baylor is on my list! i've never been to texas, but this seems like a great school in a great area with a fantastic health center :)

Reactions: 1 users
July 1st is when you can do your secondary - apparently you don't need an invite to fill it out, just go on their page on July 1st and do it yourself to save time

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clear up status updates on your file check.

If your file goes from "is complete and has been reviewed" BACK to "is complete and is being reviewed" (the original status) then an interview invite is coming.

If after interview it goes from "is complete and is being reviewed" to "your file is not supported on this page" then an acceptance call is coming UNLESS it's late in the season when the wait list would come out (you get this status if you get wait listed as well).

This is what the applicants found to be true in the last 2 BCM Threads. Best of luck applying!

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 5 users
what's the interview to acceptance ratio, do you know?

I've read that they interview ~700 applicants each year. Class size is around ~180. The average accepted student holds 2.5 acceptances an article said, so on pure chance they have a 40% matriculation out of acceptances. But we'll assume people are more likely to choose BCM (partly because it's true and partly because I'd rather assume the worst with these numbers and be surprised in a positive way) and say they have a 70% matriculation rate out of accepted students; then you're looking at about 250/700 or ~35% of interviewed students getting accepted after it's all said and done. So this includes waitlist etc. You can adjust those numbers if you find any information (or just disagree with my judgement calls) for a more accurate result.

The numbers they gave us on my interview day last October were ~800 interviewed, ~315 accepted, and 186 spots in the incoming class.

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone who attends Baylor comment on their pre-clinical 1.5 year curriculum?

for those interested in BCM--
Our daughter was OOS...she is now finishing her MS2 year @ BCM. It is a GREAT deal all around (value and quality of program).
I will transfer my long earlier post here for your ready reference-- some of it might help. Good luck! :luck:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BIG thumbs up for BCM!

Bumping/updating my post from last year's thread as encouragement for the BCM OOSer's and applicants generally...keep the faith for BCM!

First, know that BCM in Houston has nothing to do with Baylor University (BU) in Waco; they separated 50 years ago.

A huge plus is that the renowned Texas Medical Center (TMC) surrounds BCM-- the largest medical complex in the world.

http://texasmedicalcenter.org/about-tmc/

BCM likes to note how many different undergrad majors they have in a class, so a distinctive major might be a plus---> "In fact, our Admissions Committee actively seeks individuals with different educational backgrounds, as evidenced by the 32 different majors in this year's entering class (2010)."

About 25%, or about 45, of each class will be accepted from OOS, and there is a drop dead date in May for in-state acceptances (due to an agreement among the Texas medical schools), so OOS acceptances perhaps then (around mid-May) become more likely. If you get to interview, you have about a 40% chance of actually matriculating.

http://www.bcm.edu/medschool/snapshot.html
http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/
http://www.bcm.edu/medschool/successindicators.html

You will likely interview with 1 student and 1 faculty member in a day-long, low-stress visit.

As competitive entry goes (average GPA and average MCAT of those accepted by each school), BCM has been ranked as high as # 4:

http://www.studentdoc.com/top-10-medical-schools.html

Our daughter LOVES it @ BCM. It IS challenging to be sure, but there is good esprit de corps/team spirit. The professors are engaged and care. It is P/F during the preclinical first 18 months. The "learning blocks" are around 7 weeks long, followed by salutary/rejuvenating long weekend breaks. Getting on into clinicals after Christmas in year 2 is surely a plus and is now being copied elsewhere. By the time you take the Step 1 a year later, you have seen patients clinically for a year.

BCM has proved to be a SUPER net value (least expensive private medical school in America), WAY LESS expensive even than our lone in-state public school, especially after buying a condo to establish Tx. residency so that she will pay Texas resident tuition for years 2-4. (Odd perhaps that this should matter, since BCM is a private school). Taking the public bus can make sense (just $1.20/day round trip for students); parking expense is untenable. Her condo is 14 minutes away by bus.

BCM has perhaps the highest average Step 1 scores (recent class average 244) among all schools, affirming the all-in value. Its Match Lists also impress-- as many as 25% will stay on at BCM.

Here is a good PDF overview:
http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/applic...FA_2012Web.pdf

Houston is very livable if you can accept the humid heat. Hey, that's what A/C is for!
There is diverse, quality dining...and N'awlins is also just a 5-hour drive away!

We (as a family) could not be more pleased all things considered. Keep the faith and good luck! :luck:

Reactions: 6 users
i would eat so many poop hotdogs for an acceptance here

Applying to Baylor! I think my chances are low because I wasn't too heavily involved in research and I'm applying from OOS, but I'm throwing my hat into the ring! :)

Applied OOS. Hoping my upward trend in GPA and the two manuscripts I'm submitting for publication next month will get me an II.

Applying to Baylor! I think my chances are low because I wasn't too heavily involved in research and I'm applying from OOS, but I'm throwing my hat into the ring! :)

FWIW, our daughter was OOS and had NO research but was accepted off of the WL with a 50% scholarship. She was otherwise a stellar applicant (high summa and myriad quality EC's) from a top 10 public university (USNWR)...and had a distinctive major

No hyperbole, but it is simply hard to find any material shortcoming of BCM. Applicants do fret some about their methodical and protracted acceptance policy.
It is even easier/cheaper to fly in/out of Houston as contrasted with places like Durham/Chapel Hill, Charlottesville, Nashville, etc. It never gets very cold.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clear up status updates on your file check.

If your file goes from "is complete and has been reviewed" BACK to "is complete and is being reviewed" (the original status) then an interview invite is coming.

If after interview it goes from "is complete and is being reviewed" to "your file is not supported on this page" then an acceptance call is coming UNLESS it's late in the season when the wait list would come out (you get this status if you get wait listed as well).

This is what the applicants found to be true in the last 2 BCM Threads. Best of luck applying!

Posted using SDN Mobile

Wow, thanks for this. May alleviate some anxiety down the line!

FWIW, our daughter was OOS and had NO research but was accepted off of the WL with a 50% scholarship. She was otherwise a stellar applicant (high summa and myriad quality EC's) from a top 10 public university (USNWR)...and had a distinctive major

No hyperbole, but it is simply hard to find any material shortcoming of BCM. Applicants do fret some about their methodical and protracted acceptance policy.
It is even easier/cheaper to fly in/out of Houston as contrasted with places like Durham/Chapel Hill, Charlottesville, Nashville, etc. It never gets very cold.
Thank you so much for the glimmer of hope!

Reactions: 1 user
I just graduated from here and absolutely loved it. It got me into my #1 choice residency program and prepared me incredibly. I would go to the same medical school if I had the chance to do it again and could pick any school.

And to the person asking about the 1.5 yr preclinical curriculum, it's great.

If anyone has any questions about anything BCM, feel free to message me or lemme know otherwise. Best of luck to everyone applying this year!

Reactions: 9 users
Just out of curiosity, my MCAT is a 30 and I have a 3.6u/science. I did bench research for a few years and didn't like it that much but landed a clinical research job on a renown study at a major hospital. I know my stats aren't stellar but have you heard of people getting in with stats like that? I'm just curious if I should even waste the 50$ if I'm going to belly-flop. This school is so amazing.

If I were you I would go for it. Apply early, and craft your secondary well. Even if they reject you - you have nothing to lose.

Just out of curiosity, my MCAT is a 30 and I have a 3.6u/science. I did bench research for a few years and didn't like it that much but landed a clinical research job on a renown study at a major hospital. I know my stats aren't stellar but have you heard of people getting in with stats like that? I'm just curious if I should even waste the 50$ if I'm going to belly-flop. This school is so amazing.

If I were you I would go for it. Apply early, and craft your secondary well. Even if they reject you - you have nothing to lose.

It's true but if people never get in with those stats I'd prefer to keep my 50$ and dream about something else :s

My stats aren't the best either, good MCAT, lowish GPA, but lots of good ECs & research. This is my dream school. So I'm happy to give them my $50 :)

My stats aren't the best either, good MCAT, lowish GPA, but lots of good ECs & research. This is my dream school. So I'm happy to give them my $50 :)

BCM was and is my dream school too, and I got off the wait list in May and start orientation at the end of July. If you do decide to apply, just be ready to stick it out for the long haul. That phone call was definitely worth the wait in the end!

Thanks for sharing that. I guess this whole process is going to bring out a new level of patience for most of us XD

As it stands you are in the bottom 10th percentile for both MCAT and GPA. Your Lizzy score is around 66 and Baylor's is around 74. Ideally, you only want a one or two point difference. Have people gotten in on such wide margins? Yes. Is it highly likely? No. But it definitely is possible. Reaches are just that - reaches. Don't sell yourself short over 50$. Quality ECs would help.

It's true but if people never get in with those stats I'd prefer to keep my 50$ and dream about something else :s

I wanna' share a little human touch anecdote with y'all that I found to be profoundly moving...at the end of Anatomy, BCM gives each dissecting team group a long-stemmed white rose to say goodbye and deepest thanks to those who so graciously donated their bodies to be cadavers so future very well qualified doctors can learn...wow, a tear-welling image, that.

I thought that those of you who are (so rightly and understandably) anxiously
applying and waiting might also find it moving to remember what this is really all about. They really do care at BCM...no more really needs to be said....

Reactions: 4 users
I didn't think it was possible for me to love Baylor more than I already did..

I wanna' share a little human touch anecdote with y'all that I found to be profoundly moving...at the end of Anatomy, BCM gives each dissecting team group a long-stemmed white rose to say goodbye and deepest thanks to those who so graciously donated their bodies to be cadavers so future very well qualified doctors can learn...wow, a tear-welling image, that.

applying and waiting might also find it moving to remember what this is really all about. They really do care at BCM...no more really needs to be said....

I didn't think it was possible for me to love Baylor more than I already did..

yah that is very nice. to add to this, a couple members of my class wrote a song for the ceremony and played it as a band....four years later, it is published in a online/medical journal. also, one of my classmates already registered to have his body donated to Baylor.....a little hardcore at our relatively young age, but shows the impact it has on some people

This makes me super-happy.

Best of luck to all those applying! This program is remarkable on so many levels.

Former Baylor Med student and current Baylor Med anesthesia resident - let me know if you have questions!

Just added Baylor to my primary! Applying OOS. Good luck all~

Reactions: 3 users
applying OOS, Baylor is a fantastic option :)

If I have a family member who attends BCM do you think that will help my chances? Are there spots in the secondary to say that if anyone knows or would I put that down in my secondary essays?

If I have a family member who attends BCM do you think that will help my chances? Are there spots in the secondary to say that if anyone knows or would I put that down in my secondary essays?

there is no guarantee but it probably wouldn't hurt to mention it

So... BCM is apparently on probation. Anyone know why?

Where did you see that? On the LCME website it says they are accredited with no probationary status listed.

So... BCM is apparently on probation. Anyone know why?

This was in the email sent to us...

"As you know, colleges and universities are accountable to several accrediting agencies, including the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME). The LCME reviews medical schools every seven years. Our last review was in September 2013, and we have now received the results.
While we have excellent outcomes data confirming that our students receive a superior education at Baylor College of Medicine, and we didn’t do everything we are required to do in showing the details of all our processes. Because of that, we have been given the designation of FULLY ACCREDITED, with probationary status.
We have full accreditation. That is not an issue. We are accredited with all the rights and privileges that accreditation brings. All areas of concern identified by the LCME have been corrected or are in the process of being corrected. We expect this status to be lifted in a short period of time.
The quality of education provided to medical students is not in question. Baylor continues to be the No. 1 medical school in the state of Texas and one of the top medical schools in the country."

From what I've heard, it's purely administrative and not something to be worried about.

This was in the email sent to us...

"As you know, colleges and universities are accountable to several accrediting agencies, including the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME). The LCME reviews medical schools every seven years. Our last review was in September 2013, and we have now received the results.
While we have excellent outcomes data confirming that our students receive a superior education at Baylor College of Medicine, and we didn’t do everything we are required to do in showing the details of all our processes. Because of that, we have been given the designation of FULLY ACCREDITED, with probationary status.
We have full accreditation. That is not an issue. We are accredited with all the rights and privileges that accreditation brings. All areas of concern identified by the LCME have been corrected or are in the process of being corrected. We expect this status to be lifted in a short period of time.
The quality of education provided to medical students is not in question. Baylor continues to be the No. 1 medical school in the state of Texas and one of the top medical schools in the country."

From what I've heard, it's purely administrative and not something to be worried about.
This is actually quite concerning to me. Ensuring proper documentation to the LCME is a major responsibility of a medical school in my opinion, and according to the LCME:

LCME Glossary of Accreditation Terminology said:
Accredited, on probation:
Accreditation with probation is an action based on determination by the LCME, and the CACMS for Canadian schools, that an accredited program is not in substantial compliance with accreditation standards. Such a determination may be based on the LCME's judgment, and the judgment of CACMS for Canadian schools, that the areas of noncompliance have seriously compromised the quality of the medical education program, or that the program has failed to make satisfactory progress in achieving compliance after having been granted ample opportunity to do so.

Further, placement on probation is one step beyond placement on warning, and this is the strongest censure the LCME gives a program before withdrawing accreditation. Obviously we don't know the whole story, but that's a pretty big deal.

Sources: http://www.lcme.org/survey-connect-lcme-actions.htm ; http://www.lcme.org/survey-connect-glossary.htm

This is the second email we received about the probation, specifically the part of the email that talks about why Baylor was put on probation. Judge the reasons for yourself. As far as I see it, it's mostly information accessibility.

Good luck!!

"So why the probation? During their site visit this past year, the LCME found that Baylor did not have written policies in place governing many aspects of how the administration is run. In summary, there were 14 findings; 6 of them have already been addressed, 4 have had a new process put in place and data is being collected and 4 still need to be addressed.
  1. Documentation of the direct observation of H&P skills was inconsistent across core clerkships. PROCESS IN PLACE.
  1. There was inconsistency in timely reporting of grades across departments. PROCESS IN PLACE.
3. Inconsistency in documentation of formal feedback at mid-point. PROCESS IN PLACE.
  1. Process not in place for annual survey of graduates prior to 2014. PROCESS IN PLACE.
5. The charge and function of the Curriculum committee was not clearly defined. PROCESS WILL BE DEVELOPED WITH NEW CURRICULUM COMMITTEE CHAIR INSTALLED AS OF 6/25/14
6. Detailed process not defined for how the curriculum as a whole is reviewed. PROCESS WILL BE DEVELOPED WITH NEW CURRICULUM COMMITTEE CHAIR INSTALLED AS OF 6/25/14
7. Documentation of the information flow between the Curriculum Committee and the subcommittees of the Curriculum Committee was not clearly defined. PROCESS WILL BE DEVELOPED WITH NEW CURRICULUM COMMITTEE CHAIR INSTALLED AS OF 6/25/14
8. Clear process confirming the responsibility for admitting students was not clearly defined. The dean’s role was limited to a ceremonial signing of the letter of acceptance sent to students, but the LCME interpreted that as making the decision. ADDRESSED.
9. Clear process was not in place to ensure consistent implementation of the conflict of interest policy for Admissions Committee. ADDRESSED.
10. Central system to screen extramural electives prior to enrollment was not in place. ADDRESSED.
11. Disability insurance not made available to all medical students. ADDRESSED.
12. Policy about the impact of infectious and environmental diseases and long-term disability needs enhancement. ADDRESSED.
13. Tenure clock policy does not address clock extensions. ADDRESSED.
14. Mechanism for faculty to consistently contribute to policy development and decision-making not in place. SURVEYING THE FACULTY IN SEPTEMBER.
As you can see from this list, we can assure you that the Baylor administration is already in high gear working both on the areas identified by the LCME and on areas we have identified ourselves for improvement. The quality education that drew you to BCM in the first place will not be changing, but some of the processes around that education will be improving over the next few years.
We hope that this has clarified what's going on."

This is actually quite concerning to me. Ensuring proper documentation to the LCME is a major responsibility of a medical school in my opinion, and according to the LCME:

Further, placement on probation is one step beyond placement on warning, and this is the strongest censure the LCME gives a program before withdrawing accreditation. Obviously we don't know the whole story, but that's a pretty big deal.

Sources: http://www.lcme.org/survey-connect-lcme-actions.htm ; http://www.lcme.org/survey-connect-glossary.htm

From what I understand they have been documenting everything, just not in the way that the LCME preferred. As you can see from the email that was posted here many of the reasons were very minor and will not take much time to resolve and they do not effect the education at all.

Also to your last point, no school that has been placed on probation (even school's with much more severe issues) has ever lost accreditation.

This does not appear to have any negative impact on student's and in the end will result in better feedback for the students going forward. And it surely has nothing to do with the quality of the education that Baylor is providing, especially considering that the average USMLE scores are consistently the highest in the country.

I'm a soon-to-be MS1 at Baylor, so I'll jump in here and add something. In the e-mail we received yesterday, in addition to the info already posted, the following was included (bolding is my own):

First and foremost, we are still fully accredited. BCM absolutely still has the power to grant medical degrees and help you fulfill your dreams of becoming an MD. It also does not mean that the LCME doubts Baylor's excellence at training future physicians. In fact, the LCME has specifically removed language from the "normal" definition of probation suggesting that the problems they found affected the quality of our medical education.

That was actually the part that was most significant (and comforting) to me, as myself and several others had been very concerned about what could lead to something as serious as probation. Honestly, while I am disappointed this has occurred, I am not at all worried that this past lack of proper process documentation has harmed or will harm BCM in any way (obviously Step scores and match lists show that students have been succeeding despite the listed paperwork deficiencies).

Reactions: 3 users
This is the second email we received about the probation, specifically the part of the email that talks about why Baylor was put on probation. Judge the reasons for yourself. As far as I see it, it's mostly information accessibility.

Good luck!!

"So why the probation? During their site visit this past year, the LCME found that Baylor did not have written policies in place governing many aspects of how the administration is run. In summary, there were 14 findings; 6 of them have already been addressed, 4 have had a new process put in place and data is being collected and 4 still need to be addressed.
  1. Documentation of the direct observation of H&P skills was inconsistent across core clerkships. PROCESS IN PLACE.
  1. There was inconsistency in timely reporting of grades across departments. PROCESS IN PLACE.
3. Inconsistency in documentation of formal feedback at mid-point. PROCESS IN PLACE.
  1. Process not in place for annual survey of graduates prior to 2014. PROCESS IN PLACE.
5. The charge and function of the Curriculum committee was not clearly defined. PROCESS WILL BE DEVELOPED WITH NEW CURRICULUM COMMITTEE CHAIR INSTALLED AS OF 6/25/14
6. Detailed process not defined for how the curriculum as a whole is reviewed. PROCESS WILL BE DEVELOPED WITH NEW CURRICULUM COMMITTEE CHAIR INSTALLED AS OF 6/25/14
7. Documentation of the information flow between the Curriculum Committee and the subcommittees of the Curriculum Committee was not clearly defined. PROCESS WILL BE DEVELOPED WITH NEW CURRICULUM COMMITTEE CHAIR INSTALLED AS OF 6/25/14
8. Clear process confirming the responsibility for admitting students was not clearly defined. The dean’s role was limited to a ceremonial signing of the letter of acceptance sent to students, but the LCME interpreted that as making the decision. ADDRESSED.
9. Clear process was not in place to ensure consistent implementation of the conflict of interest policy for Admissions Committee. ADDRESSED.
10. Central system to screen extramural electives prior to enrollment was not in place. ADDRESSED.
11. Disability insurance not made available to all medical students. ADDRESSED.
12. Policy about the impact of infectious and environmental diseases and long-term disability needs enhancement. ADDRESSED.
13. Tenure clock policy does not address clock extensions. ADDRESSED.
14. Mechanism for faculty to consistently contribute to policy development and decision-making not in place. SURVEYING THE FACULTY IN SEPTEMBER.
As you can see from this list, we can assure you that the Baylor administration is already in high gear working both on the areas identified by the LCME and on areas we have identified ourselves for improvement. The quality education that drew you to BCM in the first place will not be changing, but some of the processes around that education will be improving over the next few years.
We hope that this has clarified what's going on."
  • There was inconsistency in timely reporting of grades across departments.
  • Inconsistency in documentation of formal feedback at mid-point.
  • Process not in place for annual survey of graduates prior to 2014.
Hmm..........

You're absolutely correct @aklark. Baylor College of Medicine's match list this year was ON FIRE!!!:flame: Credit to @jturkel.
bcm-match-list_2014-jpg.179493

Last edited:
  • There was inconsistency in timely reporting of grades across departments.
  • Inconsistency in documentation of formal feedback at mid-point.
  • Process not in place for annual survey of graduates prior to 2014.
Hmm..........

Silver-lining here is that formal feedback mid-way through clerkships now will help give a chance to improve before finalized grades are given out! :nod: