2014-2015 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Applying here

Reactions: 1 user
Same here!
Q1: To anyone who goes there or who might know, what do you like about it / what were your "pros" in applying?
Q2: Is the massive # of applicants a big deal? Should I not be applying here? My stats are pretty much the median here; will I get lost in a sea of applicants?

Just going over some past threads, what I like are:
- community/under-served involvement
- strength of clinical training with BUMC
- being in Boston

---------------
Also, the prompt from last year:
Optional Essay

We have found that for most applicants, an extra essay written expressly for Boston University adds little to the information content of the portfolio. While we no longer require an essay, some applicants feel that additional information is necessary in order to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of their strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. If you wish, use the space below to offer an essay or any other information, addressing any issue you feel is of importance. If you choose to use the space, please do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in this Supplemental Application or in material you have submitted to AMCAS.
For most applicants, no supplementary essay will be necessary and this space can be left blank.

3000 Characters

Members don't see this ad :)
Q1: I was drawn to the balance between research and community involvement. I come from a big research school and have done a lot of volunteering in the city its in so it'll allow me to continue in the same general path I paved during undergrad
Q2: No matter how many people apply there's still like 150+ students who get admitted. And if you are at the median, there's going to be more than 75 people with worse stats than you who get in

Is their secondary a trick question? Like even though they say most applicants leave it blank, do they actually mean leave it blank, or are they trying to weed out the lazy people?

Reactions: 3 users
@predoc26 I think its just a way to reiterate that they absolutely do not want any essay unless it adds something new to your application

Question about this optional essay: should I talk about my poor undergraduate grades from 8 years ago and how they don't reflect my current work ethic? I'm a much better student now but still have old grades bringing down my cumulative and I'm not sure if I should use this space to address this. Thoughts from current medical students?

I am in the exact same boat here--

Last edited:
@ahi3974 @IL Pre Med - I would assume that those are the things they are looking for (assuming you didnt already talk about them in your primary application)

Anyone know if Boston U screens for applicants before sending out secondaries?

According to MSAR, they send out their secondaries to all of their applicants.

I received a secondary on 7/2 by the way. It recommends that you upload a picture and the questions are the same as last year's.

No secondary for me yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Strange - I got one and I'm not verified yet. The pre-registration form has some weird self-destruction sequence to it, haha.

I got one and I was verified 3 days ago. Not sure how they're sending it out but it's quite painless

Strange - I got one and I'm not verified yet. The pre-registration form has some weird self-destruction sequence to it, haha.

I got one and I was verified 3 days ago. Not sure how they're sending it out but it's quite painless

Ill probably give them a call knowing they're out now. A few of my schools have had issues getting through my spam filter

Will I be donating money if I apply to this school with a 3.91/32? I was interested since I had a lot of film experience and ideas about combining with medicine (public health, etc.) and BU has a great film school as well. Haven't gotten my secondary yet but I still have time...

To be honest I am quite shocked I still haven't received the secondary yet....I was verified the very first day and my stats are definitely above average...

To be honest I am quite shocked I still haven't received the secondary yet....I was verified the very first day and my stats are definitely above average...

They don't pre-screen to my knowledge, you'll get it soon. If it makes you feel better, I'm in the exact same boat (above average stats + verified very early)

Can someone confirm that these are the prompts for 2014-2015?

If you did not go to college directly after high school, please explain: (1400 character limit, approximately 280 words)

If you are not expecting to go directly to medical school after completing your undergraduate work, please explain. (1400 character limit, approximately 280 words)

If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.)

Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. (2000 character limit, approximately 400 words)

We have found that for most applicants, an extra essay written expressly for Boston University adds little to the information content of the portfolio. While we no longer require an essay, some applicants feel that additional information is necessary in order to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of their strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. If you wish, use the space below to offer an essay or any other information, addressing any issue you feel is of importance. If you choose to use the space, please do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in this Supplemental Application or in material you have submitted to AMCAS.
For most applicants, no supplementary essay will be necessary and this space can be left blank.

Reactions: 1 users
It says on their website that secondaries start coming out June 15! I was verified 6/5 and have not received anything about the secondary. Anyone else in the same boat?

Yeah, no secondary here yet either. Although I was just verified on 6/27.

Let's just wait until next week to see.

Maybe they want your application to be complete (MCAT, LORs, Verified) before they send anything?

Let's just wait until next week to see.

Maybe they want your application to be complete (MCAT, LORs, Verified) before they send anything?

I was verified 6/16, but my LORs still aren't in. FWIW, received secondary 7/3

I was verified 6/16, but my LORs still aren't in. FWIW, received secondary 7/3

Then it's likely that they are sending them in batches. If they don't screen then there is no need to worry!

Application verified on 6/10/14. Secondary Received at 11:12pm on 7/5/14. No essays required (if you are a traditional applicant); only a photograph and a classification of your courses to meet their pre-reqs. Secondary Submitted at midnight. They responded within minutes saying that everything was received (including LORs). I like how quickly they move!

Rejected

Last edited:
Some of the other schools I am applying to also have this sort of question about additional information. I included a short blurb detailing what I am doing in my internship this summer. I included it as an activity in my AMCAS, but was still not clear on what I would be doing at the time. Do you think this is worthy enough to put in the additional essay?

I'm using the secondary as a way to briefly go over what I have planned for the next year. So I am updating the information on a few extracurriculars (I was elected to a couple leadership positions/gained more duties in lab/etc...), providing some new activities (TAing a lab course), and talking about my plans for work after I graduate in December

never mind

Last edited:
Would a diversity essay count? My background has played a substantial role in my career choice, but I don't want to do it if it just goes ignored anyway.
Diversity essay was their first question essentially. But if you feel you can add to it go for it. Its your funeral. :)

Diversity essay was their first question essentially. But if you feel you can add to it go for it. Its your funeral. :)

Oh wow I thought the "optional essay" was the only one, haven't received the actual secondary yet. Never mind then.

Thanks for putting it so nicely.

Hey Lamel...i don't know what slopes23 is looking at... Are we even looking at the same application, slopes23? "Its your funeral".... wow, that was so unnecessary and inappropriate.

Lamel, the questions are already posted above. Take a read (Post by "LAtoDavis" - they are the same this year). FYI, I answered the first, but did not answer the second.

Cheers.

@rhythmisadancer If that statement offended you to where you felt it was unnecessary and inappropriate good luck surviving residency. Additionally I was kidding, and said "it's your funeral" as a way to make light of the fact that at the end of the day there is no right/wrong answer that applies to everyone generally, moreover it's his decision ultimately. Not to mention, being blind to his situation or what he would actually write makes it difficult to say whether it would be appropriate. Therefore, he lives or dies by his decision (i.e. it's your funeral.) Excuse me if I don't write all my responses postured to your (or anyone else's) delicate state of being. Want some sage advice? Grow some thicker skin, and learn to recognize levity and humor (even if its bad humor, like mine).

There is a question in the personal information section that reads

"Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? "

Last edited:
@rhythmisadancer If that statement offended you to where you felt it was unnecessary and inappropriate good luck surviving residency. Additionally I was kidding, and said "it's your funeral" as a way to make light of the fact that at the end of the day there is no right answer to these things, and it's his decision ultimately. Not to mention, being blind to his situation or what he would actually write makes it difficult to say whether it would be appropriate. Sorry if I don't write all my responses postured to your (or anyone else's) delicate state of being. Want some sage advice? Grow some thicker skin, and learn to recognize levity and humor (even if its bad humor, like mine).

There is a question in the personal information section that reads

"Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? "

Notice how I said that is essentially a diversity question. One could answer this (like I did) by stating how one is diverse, and additionally what spectrum of experiences have contributed to this diversity.

Save it - no one wants to hear your soliloquy. Don't worry about me, I've survived things much harder than residency. Stop being a troll.

Last edited:
Save it - no one wants to hear your soliloquy. Don't worry about me, I've survived things much harder the residency. Stop being a troll.

I bet.

How am I trolling again? Addressing a concern about a remark I made, and additionally clarifying an answer to a where there exists a diversity question sounds helpful to me...

I bet.

How am I trolling again? Addressing a concern about a remark that I made, and additionally clarifying an answer to a where there exists a diversity question sounds helpful to me...

Ya, try growing up in South Central, Los Angeles.

Anyways, let's put this behind us.

Received an e-mail stating I am complete.

I was verified early June and still haven't received a secondary, should I be concerned?

"Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us." For this optional essay- would it be redundant to discuss a medical brigade to Nicaragua that was briefly discussed in my amcas application?

"Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us." For this optional essay- would it be redundant to discuss a medical brigade to Nicaragua that was briefly discussed in my amcas application?
If you took a semester off for it, then I would say yes.

Just got the secondary and submitted. Same as last year! The grid thing was weird, though.

Debating whether or not to just use a mirror selfie as my pic...

Ok pro tip here: if you are writing essays and coming back and forth to them, eventually the system will kick you out and make you log in again. Save that essay somewhere before hitting Save. Otherwise, be prepared to start over again. Lesson learned. Also don't save your password automatically. IT KNOWS!

Debating whether or not to just use a mirror selfie as my pic...

I would have a friend/family member take a photo. Mirror selfie sounds like a bad idea.