2014-2015 Dermatology Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience on prelim program interviews? Some prelim medicine programs have sent me a "provisional" interview, saying if I receive an interview for the advanced program (i.e. derm), then they will interview me as well for a prelim spot. So do those interviews typically happen on the same day or would it usually be a next day type thing? Does it vary among the programs?
Are you talking about advanced or categorical (where prelim is automatically included) programs? I think some programs that have it where you apply for a prelim separately try to have you interview for both so you don't have to make 2 separate plane flights, one for the prelim interview and one for the derm interview. The prelim program is not at all obligated to do this, but I think it's nice that they do.

Per UW's website, it looks like apps were due today. It seems strange that they would send out rejections on the same day. Did anyone else get a rejection in ERAS?
That is a little weird although they only interview for 2 positions. Even then that is quite fast.

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if 1) Washington in DC sent rejections or 2) UW sent some rejections--their website says one reviewer looks at about 40, then cuts it down to semi-finalists, then finally they pick finalists for interview. Perhaps that first stage happened for some applicants and they didn't want to keep people waiting.

I wonder if 1) Washington in DC sent rejections or 2) UW sent some rejections--their website says one reviewer looks at about 40, then cuts it down to semi-finalists, then finally they pick finalists for interview. Perhaps that first stage happened for some applicants and they didn't want to keep people waiting.
I believe the previous poster was referring to UW as is also in the Google Doc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Geisinger Health System Program 10/20 (email) 12/8, 12/15, 1/5

is anyone having trouble with geisinger interview scheduler? I get a whole page of internet garble when i enter my info

is anyone having trouble with geisinger interview scheduler? I get a whole page of internet garble when i enter my info
I would call over to the Program Coordinator so they straighten it out. I believe all of Geisinger's residency programs use the Interview scheduler. I know their prelim program does.

I would call over to the Program Coordinator so they straighten it out. I believe all of Geisinger's residency programs use the Interview scheduler. I know their prelim program does.

Thanks! Will do.

Reactions: 1 user
Not to be neurotic, but can anyone confirm the Washington and Minnesota rejections? (You can PM if you don't want to post)

Here is to hoping these interviews will start to pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely random question. Has anyone else's ERAS application been "not yet retrieved" by LA County Harbor UCLA program? Seems like it hasn't changed for a month now for me.

Completely random question. Has anyone else's ERAS application been "not yet retrieved" by LA County Harbor UCLA program? Seems like it hasn't changed for a month now for me.

Yeah, I have the same status. Per the AAMC's website, it looks like they are participating in the match this year.

Not to be neurotic, but can anyone confirm the Washington and Minnesota rejections? (You can PM if you don't want to post)

Hi PatsyStone. I received a rejection from Washington.

A big derm program that I am familiar with will be sending out invites next week... sorry I can't be more specific!

Members don't see this ad :)
Combined Med Derm Program at University of Minnesota (10/23) ERAS message 12/4-12/5, 12/11-12/12

A big derm program that I am familiar with will be sending out invites next week... sorry I can't be more specific!

Big derm program? Is it one of the following?

Michigan
Northwestern
NYU
Penn
Stanford
UCSF
Yale

Big derm program? Is it one of the following?

Michigan
Northwestern
NYU
Penn
Stanford
UCSF
Yale
Big as in name or big as in size? If it's the latter, it could be Miami, UTSW, and some of the others w/6-8 residents per year.

In the Future can keep track of programs like they have in years past. Please add new programs to this list, and add them to the google document (link at bottom), thanks:

+ Northwestern Med-Derm

*Illinois
Northwestern Med-Derm: Call (10/22), Interview (11/19,1/7)

*Massachusetts
Tufts Medical Center Program: Email (10/22,1023), Interview (11/19,12/3)

*Minnesota
Minnesota Med-Derm: Email (10/23), Interview (12/4-5, 12/11-12)

*North Carolina
Wake Forest: Email (10/14,10/16), Interview (12/13,1/10)

*Pennsylvania
Geisinger health System: Email (10/20), Interview (12/8,12/15,1/5)

*Texas
A&M: Email (10/17), Interview (11/20, 12/4)

*Washington DC
Washington Hospital Center Program: Email (10/17), Interview (11/6)

* Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin: Email (10/7), Interview (10/28,11/1,11/18)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1brKSTol3rq-RElnzwhoMCa9oUeD4EYbvjSYRM3Z9_8w/edit#gid=0

Big as in name or big as in size? If it's the latter, it could be Miami, UTSW, and some of the others w/6-8 residents per year.

I'm taking a stab in the dark from some internet stalking, but I think it is a hospital program named after a car manufacturer. 6 residents per year.

I'm taking a stab in the dark from some internet stalking, but I think it is a hospital program named after a car manufacturer. 6 residents per year.
Good guess. I could see that.

Just curious...didn't receive a Tufts invite...but also didn't receive a rejection. Am I in some sort of waitlist limbo? Anyone else like this?

Just curious...didn't receive a Tufts invite...but also didn't receive a rejection. Am I in some sort of waitlist limbo? Anyone else like this?
Not all programs have the courtesy of notifying you of being rejected. You'll just never get an invite.

Not all programs have the courtesy of notifying you of being rejected. You'll just never get an invite.

Well, if Tufts didn't send rejections to anyone, then this would be a case of "if you haven't heard from us, you can assume you were rejected." However, Tufts did send rejections to at least some applicants. Therefore, if one has not heard from them, it is not clear what the applicant's status is

Well, if Tufts didn't send rejections to anyone, then this would be a case of "if you haven't heard from us, you can assume you were rejected." However, Tufts did send rejections to at least some applicants. Therefore, if one has not heard from them, it is not clear what the applicant's status is
Oops, sorry, I should have checked the GoogleDocs first. lol. Didn't realize Tufts had already sent rejections.

Oops, sorry, I should have checked the GoogleDocs first. lol. Didn't realize Tufts had already sent rejections.

Right. Sorry. I noticed on the Google Doc that they gave out interview invites but also rejections (and I didn't receive either).

Right. Sorry. I noticed on the Google Doc that they gave out interview invites but also rejections (and I didn't receive either).
Yeah, in that case most likely they're still combing thru applications, so so far you didn't get eliminated in the first cut. Realize that a lot of times some programs have their residents comb thru applications as well and it does take a while to whittle down to 30-50 that you're going to actually interview.

Last edited:
I got an invite for tufts on one date, but noticed they offer another date as well. Is it possible to contact them and switch to the other date?

I got an invite for tufts on one date, but noticed they offer another date as well. Is it possible to contact them and switch to the other date?
Same here. I asked them about switching but both dates are full.

Same here. I asked them about switching but both dates are full.
If you both have opposite dates, you both can switch with each other. Do you guys have other derm interviews on those dates?

If you both have opposite dates, you both can switch with each other. Do you guys have other derm interviews on those dates?
Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to get the date I was assigned to work out. Hopefully, dermaway can too. No other derm interviews yet!

Rejection from Geisinger Health System Program 10/27/14

+ Mayo Arizona

*Arizona
Mayo Arizona: Email (10/27), Interview (1/6,1/9)

*Illinois

*Massachusetts

*Minnesota

*North Carolina

*Pennsylvania

*Texas

*Washington DC

* Wisconsin

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1brKSTol3rq-RElnzwhoMCa9oUeD4EYbvjSYRM3Z9_8w/edit#gid=0

Whats the deal with the supplemental application for BU? Did it go out all applicants, or only the ones they are seriously considering?

There is considerable overlap in name/size. This program is both. Should be any day now.

I don't know why I decided to share this information, it really isn't all that helpful since I have to be so vague. Just take it as a sign that interview invites are going to start picking up!

There is considerable overlap in name/size. This program is both. Should be any day now.

I don't know why I decided to share this information, it really isn't all that helpful since I have to be so vague. Just take it as a sign that interview invites are going to start picking up!
No, it's good so that applicants know that programs are still wading thru applications. Part of the frustration is that you never hear back so you never know if they're done or they just forgot to send you a rejection. Programs should just send any rejections, waitlist, whatever, so everyone can move on with their lives.

No, it's good so that applicants know that programs are still wading thru applications. Part of the frustration is that you never hear back so you never know if they're done or they just forgot to send you a rejection. Programs should just send any rejections, waitlist, whatever, so everyone can move on with their lives.
Back when I applied, Penn State rejected me twice. It was thoughtful of them to remind me.

Reactions: 1 users
Back when I applied, Penn State rejected me twice. It was thoughtful of them to remind me.
I got a rejection from UCLA the day after the rank list deadline. :sendoff: Good to know bc if they had offered me an interview then, I might have flown out there. :rolleyes:

Whats the deal with the supplemental application for BU? Did it go out all applicants, or only the ones they are seriously considering?

There is no way we would know the answer. The only way to know for sure is to ask if anyone who applied to BU did not receive a secondary.

Can anyone confirm having received a Wake Forest interview? Thanks

UAB invite 10/29. Interview dates 12/5 and 12/9

+ Henry Ford/Wayne State

*Arizona

*Illinois

*Massachusetts

*Michigan
Henry Ford Hospital/Wayne State: ERAS (10/29), Interview (11/24, 12/5, 12/19, 1/5, 1/10)

*Minnesota

*North Carolina

*Pennsylvania

*Texas

*Washington DC

* Wisconsin

+ Mayo MN

*Arizona

*Illinois

*Massachusetts

*Michigan
Henry Ford Hospital/Wayne State: ERAS (10/29), Interview (11/24, 12/5, 12/19, 1/5, 1/10)

*Minnesota
Mayo: ERAS (10/29), Interview (12/12, 12/15)

*North Carolina

*Pennsylvania

*Texas

*Washington DC

* Wisconsin