2014-2015 Dermatology Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i think i'm around too much neuroticism. so half the programs haven't even started? have the other half even finished granting interviews? If the other half haven't finished then that would mean that we're not even at the half way point, then, right?
Well, 55.7% to be exact.

Also depends which programs are open --- a middle to low tier place vs. a place like NYU, Harvard, Penn, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, 55.7% to be exact.

Also depends which programs are open --- a middle to low tier place vs. a place like NYU, Harvard, Penn, etc.

makes sense. but the programs don't generally give out all their interviews at once, do they? I would think they would do it incrementally as they sift through applications (I could be wrong, though).

makes sense. but the programs don't generally give out all their interviews at once, do they? I would think they would do it incrementally as they sift through applications (I could be wrong, though).
Depends on the program. Also depends on how many interview dates they have. Hence why playing the guessing game usually doesn't work. Things always change year to year. The only tried and true rule is that programs will take their time to evaluate applications when it comes to selecting those for interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the program. Also depends on how many interview dates they have. Hence why playing the guessing game usually doesn't work. Things always change year to year. The only tried and true rule is that programs will take their time to evaluate applications when it comes to selecting those for interview.

fascinating. i can see people trying to calculate all the permutations in their heads.

best of luck to everyone applying (try not to go insane)!!

how many interview offers should you have before you start considering canceling?

how many interview offers should you have before you start considering canceling?
I would go on as many Derm interviews as offered, as long as they don't conflict or to where there would be no way you'd be able to make it to the next interview on the last flight out. That's the ONLY time you should cancel interviews. Rank them all in the order you want to go to.

Gotta love that weekend respite from program invites/rejections... ;)

At the risk of sounding cliche, as we head into Thanksgiving week, just wanted to express many thanks for the support of the community of derm hopefuls here, with a special thank you to those who created, maintain, and continuously improve the spreadsheet. Stress levels are at a record high (and that is no small feat given what med school dishes regularly), but I'm still grateful we're all in it together.

Was it really that nicely worded?
Exact wording:

"Your application for the University of Michigan Dermatology Residency Program beginning July 2016 has been carefully reviewed. While we are unable to interview you at this time, we thank you for your interest in our program.

We received over 550 applications, which was a 15 percent increase over last year. No screens were used and I personally reviewed every application to make sure nothing in your application was missed. Unfortunately, we cannot interview all the truly excellent applicants; in fact, we must decline to interview 10 of every 11 applicants. This must be painful for you and it is hard on all of us (especially me), too. Sending these emails is the most difficult part of my job.

Our selection process includes many factors, some of which seem arbitrary when the rejection rate exceeds 90%. (Rest assured that the factors do not include applicant’s connections or other manipulations of the system.) Your application was reviewed favorably. Unfortunately, we ran out of room on our sole interview day. Time constraints prevent me from commenting individually on your application so if you have any concerns, perhaps your own advisors could assist you.

You may have had your heart set on Michigan, which is one of the reasons I am trying to explain the situation. Yet there are no easy explanations when the number of applications so far exceeds the availability of interviews. Please realize that the total number of applications is out of your or our control and please accept my heartfelt apologies for having to send this letter to you.

I wish you every success in your future endeavors."

Compared to other rejection notices, this was an easier blow to take I think...

Exact wording:

"Your application for the University of Michigan Dermatology Residency Program beginning July 2016 has been carefully reviewed. While we are unable to interview you at this time, we thank you for your interest in our program.

We received over 550 applications, which was a 15 percent increase over last year. No screens were used and I personally reviewed every application to make sure nothing in your application was missed. Unfortunately, we cannot interview all the truly excellent applicants; in fact, we must decline to interview 10 of every 11 applicants. This must be painful for you and it is hard on all of us (especially me), too. Sending these emails is the most difficult part of my job.

Our selection process includes many factors, some of which seem arbitrary when the rejection rate exceeds 90%. (Rest assured that the factors do not include applicant’s connections or other manipulations of the system.) Your application was reviewed favorably. Unfortunately, we ran out of room on our sole interview day. Time constraints prevent me from commenting individually on your application so if you have any concerns, perhaps your own advisors could assist you.

You may have had your heart set on Michigan, which is one of the reasons I am trying to explain the situation. Yet there are no easy explanations when the number of applications so far exceeds the availability of interviews. Please realize that the total number of applications is out of your or our control and please accept my heartfelt apologies for having to send this letter to you.

Kinda makes me wish I had applied there. Some of the rejection letters have been quite unprofessional thus far. But, maybe nicer than the *mostly* radio silence.

Exact wording:

Wow, that was a very classy letter on their part. Very good of them to acknowledge the randomness and stress of the process and the deep down insecurities we all have about the process in terms of interview selection.

Reactions: 1 user
Kinda makes me wish I had applied there. Some of the rejection letters have been quite unprofessional thus far. But, maybe nicer than the *mostly* radio silence.
Maybe Michigan can teach them a few tips in letter writing. Or maybe Miss Manners. I would say, however, closure is better than no response at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok question for everyone who's had to do this.

I received two invitations for interviews recently, but they occur on the same exact date (!!). How do you politely decline one interview making sure that you are not sounding like you are rejecting them?
Also if they do not give you a date and time to reply by, how long is it ok to wait before you send a response? In other words, how much time can you take deciding which interview to accept?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Ok question for everyone who's had to do this.

I received two invitations for interviews recently, but they occur on the same exact date (!!). How do you politely decline one interview making sure that you are not sounding like you are rejecting them?
Also if they do not give you a date and time to reply by, how long is it ok to wait before you send a response? In other words, how much time can you take deciding which interview to accept?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
And they haven't given you any alternative dates available?
Have you tried to switch with someone by putting a post on this forum or on the Google Doc?

And they haven't given you any alternative dates available?
Have you tried to switch with someone by putting a post on this forum or on the Google Doc?
Oh good point I will try that, but the email made it sound like they had no other alternative dates (usually programs tell you what their dates are)...But hey thanks, hopefully someone has another date and is willing to switch!

For anyone who got the Utah email (on 11/24) for supplemental info and knows about them, is this something they send to everyone, or to a smaller pool of people they are really considering seriously?

For anyone who got the Utah email (on 11/24) for supplemental info and knows about them, is this something they send to everyone, or to a smaller pool of people they are really considering seriously?

I don't know more about Utah than anyone else, however, I did apply there and did not get the supplemental question email.

Thank you for that.

Oh good point I will try that, but the email made it sound like they had no other alternative dates (usually programs tell you what their dates are)...But hey thanks, hopefully someone has another date and is willing to switch!
No problem. In general, it's always good to either get an alternative date or most likely in your case, switch with someone before giving up a derm interview, if possible.

Maybe Michigan can teach them a few tips in letter writing..

Yes, maybe OHSU can learn to not send an email that is entitled "OHSU dermatology--not interviewing"

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, maybe OHSU can learn to not send an email that is entitled "OHSU dermatology--not interviewing"
Funny as OHSU is actually a pretty good and well-rounded program. I agree though - it doesn't take long to write a nice rejection letter that you can re-use every year.
I guess if it's in the subject line though, you can immediately see it, delete it, and get closure, and put out of mind.

Does anyone want to swap interviews at University of Illinois Chicago? I am looking to interview on 12/10 and currently have 1/7 as my date. Would be willing to compensate for travel expenses lost, etc. Thanks

Funny as OHSU is actually a pretty good and well-rounded program. I agree though - it doesn't take long to write a nice rejection letter that you can re-use every year.
I guess if it's in the subject line though, you can immediately see it, delete it, and get closure, and put out of mind.

I actually like having it in the subject line. I got my hopes up when I saw I had a message from Harvard Dermatology..at least this way I never even had that emotional yoyo.

I also prefer closure to radio silence. It appears that the University of Wisconsin has concluded its interview season without ever rejecting me! I paid the application fee; I'd like to at least be acknowledged.

I actually like having it in the subject line. I got my hopes up when I saw I had a message from Harvard Dermatology..at least this way I never even had that emotional yoyo.

I also prefer closure to radio silence. It appears that the University of Wisconsin has concluded its interview season without ever rejecting me! I paid the application fee; I'd like to at least be acknowledged.
This is what is so frustrating and it's relatively easy to send a mass email thru ERAS. I got a rejection email after rank lists had already closed, so it's almost always a not-so-bright program coordinator issue.

Three years ago, OHSU sent out a mass rejection email with everybody's email address attached. Several minutes later, they sent out an email retraction, which does nothing actually. Then they resent the original message with peoples' email addresses hidden.

Three years ago, OHSU sent out a mass rejection email with everybody's email address attached. Several minutes later, they sent out an email retraction, which does nothing actually. Then they resent the original message with peoples' email addresses hidden.
:lol::lol::lol: ---- :smack::smack::smack:

It would be very helpful if you are a med student/resident at a place yet to send out invites to ask around and update the Google Doc with the anticipated interview dates. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 2 users
The supplemental request email said that they were "very impressed" with our application and would like more info (i.e “Why Utah and the University of Utah for residency training in dermatology?” in 200 words or less). Due Dec. 2. It sounded like they had already screened out people and were trying to come up with their final list for interview invites. I think this tactic by programs is going to become more and more common as competition continues to increase and everyone applies to every program.

The supplemental request email said that they were "very impressed" with our application and would like more info (i.e “Why Utah and the University of Utah for residency training in dermatology?” in 200 words or less). Due Dec. 2. It sounded like they had already screened out people and were trying to come up with their final list for interview invites. I think this tactic by programs is going to become more and more common as competition continues to increase and everyone applies to every program.
Which could easily backfire.

No problem. In general, it's always good to either get an alternative date or most likely in your case, switch with someone before giving up a derm interview, if possible.

Would anyone like to swap interview dates at the Mayo Clinic in Arizona? I have 1/9 and would like to interview on 1/6.
Thanks!

Does anyone know if Harbor-UCLA has any other dates available at all, other than January 6th? I will fully compensate both airfare and hotel + extra $100 for your troubles, for anyone who is willing to switch with me!! Email [email protected]. This offer expires Friday after thanksgiving, as I need to notify the program by then.

Does anyone know if Harbor-UCLA has any other dates available at all, other than January 6th? I will fully compensate both airfare and hotel + extra $100 for your troubles, for anyone who is willing to switch with me!! Email [email protected]. This offer expires Friday after thanksgiving, as I need to notify the program by then.
You probably already did this but put this on the Google Docs as well.

You probably already did this but put this on the Google Docs as well.
Oh yeah definitely. It seems no one is taking the bait yet or knows about whether UCLA-Harbor has any other dates available. I think most programs have more than one date, and I can't imagine I'm the only one on here who got asked to interview at UCLA-Harbor...Hoping someone helps me out here. I'd be happy just knowing whether or not they even have any other dates.

Oh yeah definitely. It seems no one is taking the bait yet or knows about whether UCLA-Harbor has any other dates available. I think most programs have more than one date, and I can't imagine I'm the only one on here who got asked to interview at UCLA-Harbor...Hoping someone helps me out here. I'd be happy just knowing whether or not they even have any other dates.

Based on previous years, they usually offer 2 interview dates (1 early January, 1 late January), so it could just be that they only sent out their first wave of invites and haven't invited for the second date. I'd maybe email or call the program coordinator to see if they have additional dates and whether they could switch you. If they say no, I'd just tell them you'll work on free-ing up your schedule to accommodate the original date and then try and figure something out in the meantime.

Hey everyone- I cancelled one interview today and most likely plan on canceling two more soon. It's an N of 1, but I think there will be quite a lot of movement over the next few weeks. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

I also cancelled one, so I hope the invites/love spreads

Reactions: 1 users
so some places on the google doc are listed as "accreditation with warning." Where can I find a list of programs under probation, and how bad is it that they are under warning? Does this mean they might cancel the program like what happened with buffalo a couple years ago?

so some places on the google doc are listed as "accreditation with warning." Where can I find a list of programs under probation, and how bad is it that they are under warning? Does this mean they might cancel the program like what happened with buffalo a couple years ago?
Even if the program was to lose accreditation, you would just transfer your spot to another derm program who will take you to finish. At Buffalo this happened and the incoming residents as well as the residents already there moved to other programs, and in all honesty, much better programs than what you would find at Buffalo.

But to answer your other question:
Go here: http://www.acgme.org/ads/Public/Programs/Search

You can search the program by State > Choose Dermatology for Specialty > Click on the Go button

You then get a list of Derm programs for that state, then click on "View Accreditation History" and you can see where they stand in terms of accreditation.

only at 5 interviews now with a lot of schools in my region already having given out interviews. any advice?

only at 5 interviews now with a lot of schools in my region already having given out interviews. any advice?
Prepare well for those interviews.
I agree with GWDS. Leave no stone unturned. Make sure you know everything about the program so you don't look like you haven't researched the program. Make sure you have at least one question about the program when you get asked "Do you have any questions?". Treat each interview like you deserve to be there (you do) and earned your spot (which you did). Don't let other interviewees accomplishments affect your job.

I would keep in contact with your mentors who wrote you letters just to make them aware of how things are going.

I agree with GWDS. Leave no stone unturned. Make sure you know everything about the program so you don't look like you haven't researched the program. Make sure you have at least one question about the program when you get asked "Do you have any questions?". Treat each interview like you deserve to be there (you do) and earned your spot (which you did). Don't let other interviewees accomplishments affect your job.

I would keep in contact with your mentors who wrote you letters just to make them aware of how things are going.
Is this the time to start getting worried?

Is this the time to start getting worried?
I wouldn't just yet. I don't think all programs have given interviews, people are cancelling interviews, so a lot of things are in flux right now in terms of programs going down their lists (to people they haven't out right rejected yet). Keep your mentors appraised (nicely) of your progress.

Just remember the phrase: All you need is one (in terms of the match - one program matched).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users