2014-2015 Dermatology Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wouldn't just yet. I don't think all programs have given interviews, people are cancelling interviews, so a lot of things are in flux right now in terms of programs going down their lists (to people they haven't out right rejected yet). Keep your mentors appraised (nicely) of your progress.

Just remember the phrase: All you need is one (in terms of the match - one program matched).
Any advice on how to broach the subject? I mean I don't have any "mentors" that I have continuously gone to for advice, but I have the attendings who wrote me letters

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice on how to broach the subject? I mean I don't have any "mentors" that I have continuously gone to for advice, but I have the attendings who wrote me letters
Well, theoretically your letter writers are your mentors, so...

but just nicely send an email to your letter writer after Thanksgiving, hoping they're doing well, etc. etc. Thank them for taking the time to write you an LOR and their mentorship, and just say, you wanted to keep them apprised of your progress and so far you've gotten x number of interviews, so you're just waiting things out. Maybe kindly broach the topic of if they know anyone at other programs -- you'll have to walk this line carefully and it depends very much on the demeanor of that attending, etc. Having good social awareness is a good thing here.

There is one program that I am really bummed I didn't receive an interview from (love the program obviously, but I also have connections to the area)... I know I've heard different opinions about this, but how bad would it be to email the PD expressing my interest? I know the "ideal" thing is to have a mentor call for me, but I am also very interested in my home derm program, and don't want my mentor to think I would rather go to a different program. Also, I spoke with a prelim resident on the interview trail who told me she emailed a derm program expressing interest, and that actually resulted in an interview invite.

Any thoughts would be appreciated... Thanks! And happy Thanksgiving!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is one program that I am really bummed I didn't receive an interview from (love the program obviously, but I also have connections to the area)... I know I've heard different opinions about this, but how bad would it be to email the PD expressing my interest? I know the "ideal" thing is to have a mentor call for me, but I am also very interested in my home derm program, and don't want my mentor to think I would rather go to a different program. Also, I spoke with a prelim resident on the interview trail who told me she emailed a derm program expressing interest, and that actually resulted in an interview invite.

I think there's just no way to know how this will be received from program to program.

I do know that my PD does not look fondly upon those kinds of emails/contacts. But I'm sure it varies.

Reactions: 1 users

I would never email the PD directly, but that's just me. I agree with @GuyWhoDoesStuff, that you have no idea how this plan might work, or backfire. Sending the email to the program coordinator is a little bit different. So that might work better and the PC can choose to forward it to the PD for consideration or delete it.

if you get an interview later on in the cycle, presumably bc someone canceled--does that mean you are less likely to be ranked highly since you weren't their first choice to be interviewed anyway?

Reactions: 1 user
if you get an interview later on in the cycle, presumably bc someone canceled--does that mean you are less likely to be ranked highly since you weren't their first choice to be interviewed anyway?

Possible but unlikely. Some programs have each faculty member read through a fraction of the applications (divided equally among them all) and each can select 2-3 to interview (as an aside, this just demonstrates how truly random you could consider some parts of this process). So we canceled your selected next by any of those people, there's no guarantee that all the other faculty members won't love you anyway.

I wouldn't read too much into it. #1 - it doesn't help you at all and if anything can down your psyche when you need it the most to shine during an interview and #2 - faculty know they can't always get their top most pick just like applicants can't always get their top most pick they apply to.

Just do your job and shine on the interview, just like you would have done if you were selected first. Give them a reason to show they'd love having you in their program. You'd be amazed by how some of our top applicants, weren't so top once we see how they behaved on interview day.

Plus, I figure the difference in applicant quality is so minuscule at some of these places and if it really is as much of a crap shoot as everyone says, then two applicants might be remarkably similar on paper but one would get an interview and one wouldn't.

Does anyone want to swap interviews at University of Illinois Chicago? I am looking to interview on 12/10 and currently have 1/7 as my date. Would be willing to compensate for travel expenses lost, etc. Thanks

Hey agm1013 I am currently scheduled to interivew at U Illinois Chicago on 1/14 but would be willing to switch to 1/7 if that works for you. Let me know!
Thanks

Hey agm1013 I am currently scheduled to interivew at U Illinois Chicago on 1/14 but would be willing to switch to 1/7 if that works for you. Let me know!
Thanks
Probably best to either PM message him or he/she may have put their contact info on the Google Docs.

Only in a dermatology forum could there be a post titled "2014-2015 dermatology interview invite thread" followed by nearly zero replies that actually capture the intent of the original post and literally hundreds of replies that might as well just read "I'm still pretty, right? Why don't they like me?" And then there's the "seasoned pros" offering up sage like advice. They say, I’ve stared into the void, and it was filled with peanut butter, erm, I mean it was filled with the concept of you matching/not matching at your dream program for the following reasons that seem viable. Listen to me, they say! I have charts and graphs! Don’t move, let me get my easel, I’ve story-boarded the whole match process as an episode of Dora the Explorer. Spoiler alert, Swiper does some serious swiping, and additional hijinks ensue.

Here’s a tip…instead of reading this tripe, go watch Interstellar in iMax. I’ve been told it neatly explains the meaning of life, for those people interested in such things. Let me know if you figure it out, because right now I’m bored and I want to know what the hell the point is. To everything. Thank you.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Only in a dermatology forum could there be a post titled "2014-2015 dermatology interview invite thread" followed by nearly zero replies that actually capture the intent of the original post.
Just so you know, all the interview invite listing is being done on @PatsyStone's Google Doc so it can be modified in real time. There's no need to have SDN posts on invites since one can do directly go to the link and type it in there. So the intent of the original post has been captured.

anyone know how many applicants top 10 programs interview? i assume they don't have to go too low on their rank list, but also tend to have more spots. thanks!

anyone know how many applicants top 10 programs interview? i assume they don't have to go too low on their rank list, but also tend to have more spots. thanks!

for clarification, what do you consider to be the top 10 programs?

anyone heard from UPenn? When do they normally send invites?

I think it's similar to many other programs (i.e. about 30). Though, I know certain programs interview more (i.e. Miami states "50"), I've heard UPenn interviews more as well.

Last edited:
i thought the top 10 list on doximity was fairly accurate to what i've heard--ucsf, harvard, penn, nyu, stanford, miami, utsw, yale, nw..

anyone heard from UPenn? When do they normally send invites?
google doc says before dec 15

They have a separate "research track" day so there's probably not 50 on a single day, but still a lot for the regular 3-year program.

Hey, I have a Vanderbilt Interview on 1/20, I really want to switch to 12/16. I will pay anyone with the 12/16 date $500 to switch with me. If your interested, text me at 251-605-0634. Thanks

anyone else unable to edit the google doc? for some reason I haven't been able to make any changes, no matter which browser I use.

Anybody knows what is the interview days supposed to be like in Louisville. In the invite they said we will have a tour in the afternoon, but they don't say the time.

University of Illinois Chicago has 3 interview dates. They are interviewing 29 candidates on Dec 10th! Does anyone know how many they have on the other two dates? Seems like a lot.

I was at 7 interviews two weeks ago when that was good, but have gotten nothing but rejections since :/

Sorry just stressing a bit

I was at 7 interviews two weeks ago when that was good, but have gotten nothing but rejections since :/

Sorry just stressing a bit

Really seems not worth stressing about, because what can you do now? And how many interviews would it take for you to be certain you're okay going into match day?

Having more interviews doesn't improve your chances any at any one given place so...I'd just relax and do well on the interviews that you have. That said charting outcomes had 29/33 matching for those with 7 contiguous ranks.

Really seems not worth stressing about, because what can you do now? And how many interviews would it take for you to be certain you're okay going into match day?

Having more interviews doesn't improve your chances any at any one given place so...I'd just relax and do well on the interviews that you have. That said charting outcomes had 29/33 matching for those with 7 contiguous ranks.

I wouldn't worry about it either. That's above the average number of interviews so you're on the good side.

Is anybody interviewing at U Illinois at Chicago on January 7th that is willing to switch to the 14th? I can do my best to compensate financially for altered travel plans if needed...

University of Illinois Chicago has 3 interview dates. They are interviewing 29 candidates on Dec 10th! Does anyone know how many they have on the other two dates? Seems like a lot.

I am curious too. Can anyone answer?

Anyone interviewing at Case Western on 12/13 and can switch with me for 1/10?
I'm willing to compensate. Thanks.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but does anyone else regret their research year? Yes, I did it because I truly love research, but I was also hoping it would also help me get invites at research heavy programs (which would then allow me to continue doing research). If a great Step 1, AOA, multiple pubs, and a research year won't get you an invite at Stanford/Penn/Yale, then what does? Since a lot of M1-3's read this board, I thought it would be helpful if some of you also shared your thoughts on the value of your research year.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but does anyone else regret their research year? Yes, I did it because I truly love research, but I was also hoping it would also help me get invites at research heavy programs (which would then allow me to continue doing research). If a great Step 1, AOA, multiple pubs, and a research year won't get you an invite at Stanford/Penn/Yale, then what does? Since a lot of M1-3's read this board, I thought it would be helpful if some of you also shared your thoughts on the value of your research year.
I didn't do a research year personally and I have no regrets yet (talk to me again after match day :) ), but I like the idea of passing on the pearls of wisdom that we've acquired the hard way. Maybe a designated thread to that would be better so that people don't have to sift through the last 8 pages of our anxious obsessions and compulsions to read something useful.

Here's my 2 cents about the research year - they're no guarantee. If you're just doing it to get some more pubs, then that will simply put you on par with the other folks who knew they were doing derm from MS1 or 2 and had long term projects going. There are a lot of derm applicants that were pre-derm almost before they were pre-med. There are also plenty of applicants who switch during MS3 to derm, but they're coming from other competitive specialties (ortho, rads, rad onc, neurosurg, ophtho) and similarly already have more than enough research to show they are "academic" enough. I think the year off can be useful for the MS3 who decides on derm late and has little or no research or derm experience. Even with Step 1, AOA, etc., it's hard to compete without displaying some commitment to the field. Of course there are always exceptions. I think the research year really jumps you into that top tier of applicants only if it 1. results in significant quality/quantity pubs, 2. takes place at a top institution, and 3. if it connects you to the right people. I've heard of applicants who were already strong on paper who took the year off and got their name on 10-15 things at a top program that wasn't their home program, working with major players in derm. That stands out.

Not all 660 of us can say we have that experience and the CV and LORs that come from that. But like I said, there are people out there who accomplish something like that in their 3 years of med school because they decide on derm early, they work hard and they get lucky. Good for them.

Getting an interview at Stanford/Penn/Yale is a crap shoot, for all intents and purposes. Those programs have the luxury of choosing any criteria they want. They could filter their apps that only people from Top 10 medical schools will be interviewed and they would still match. It's not at all shocking that if you look at their residents, many of them are from top tier med schools with top home derm programs. Stanford/Penn/Yale don't even have to look toward their rotators if they don't want to.

Doing a research year, and depending where exactly you do your research year, with who you do your research year with, and with how productive in terms of publications, in no way guarantees getting an interview in Derm at places like Stanford, Penn, and Yale, although you may get a lot of good places. That's why the consistent message on this board is to apply to nearly all the programs you can. Nothing is a guarantee in this process, bc even low-tier Derm programs are still competitive - in terms of getting people with great Step 1s, AOA, research, etc. Don't get too hung up on the name. It doesn't matter.

I didn't do a research year personally and I have no regrets yet (talk to me again after match day :) ), but I like the idea of passing on the pearls of wisdom that we've acquired the hard way. Maybe a designated thread to that would be better so that people don't have to sift through the last 8 pages of our anxious obsessions and compulsions to read something useful.

Here's my 2 cents about the research year - they're no guarantee. If you're just doing it to get some more pubs, then that will simply put you on par with the other folks who knew they were doing derm from MS1 or 2 and had long term projects going. There are a lot of derm applicants that were pre-derm almost before they were pre-med. There are also plenty of applicants who switch during MS3 to derm, but they're coming from other competitive specialties (ortho, rads, rad onc, neurosurg, ophtho) and similarly already have more than enough research to show they are "academic" enough. I think the year off can be useful for the MS3 who decides on derm late and has little or no research or derm experience. Even with Step 1, AOA, etc., it's hard to compete without displaying some commitment to the field. Of course there are always exceptions. I think the research year really jumps you into that top tier of applicants only if it 1. results in significant quality/quantity pubs, 2. takes place at a top institution, and 3. if it connects you to the right people. I've heard of applicants who were already strong on paper who took the year off and got their name on 10-15 things at a top program that wasn't their home program, working with major players in derm. That stands out.

Not all 660 of us can say we have that experience and the CV and LORs that come from that. But like I said, there are people out there who accomplish something like that in their 3 years of med school because they decide on derm early, they work hard and they get lucky. Good for them.
I agree, this should be in a separate thread - mainly bc it's outside the purview of this thread. I think the number that are "pre-derm" before being pre-med is quite low. The formula in terms of academics for derm is similar to fields like Ophtho, Rad Onc, ENT, etc. It's not exact, but similar.

There are many applicants who decide after MS-2 and Step 1 that Derm is something they want to pursue. You do not have to be gung-ho about Derm from the first day of med school. In fact, you seriously risk pissing people off.

Getting an interview at Stanford/Penn/Yale is a crap shoot, for all intents and purposes. Those programs have the luxury of choosing any criteria they want. They could filter their apps that only people from Top 10 medical schools will be interviewed and they would still match. It's not at all shocking that if you look at their residents, many of them are from top tier med schools with top home derm programs. Stanford/Penn/Yale don't even have to look toward their rotators if they don't want to.

Doing a research year, and depending where exactly you do your research year, with who you do your research year with, and with how productive in terms of publications, in no way guarantees getting an interview in Derm at places like Stanford, Penn, and Yale, although you may get a lot of good places. That's why the consistent message on this board is to apply to nearly all the programs you can. Nothing is a guarantee in this process, bc even low-tier Derm programs are still competitive - in terms of getting people with great Step 1s, AOA, research, etc. Don't get too hung up on the name. It doesn't matter.
Agreed. All programs are competitive and it's a quirky process. I think name and location do matter. As you mentioned, look at resident rosters and many of the top programs. Most are from top schools and/or regional programs. If I were doing a research year, that would be a major criteria along with having some confidence that the year would be productive.

I agree, this should be in a separate thread - mainly bc it's outside the purview of this thread. I think the number that are "pre-derm" before being pre-med is quite low. The formula in terms of academics for derm is similar to fields like Ophtho, Rad Onc, ENT, etc. It's not exact, but similar.

There are many applicants who decide after MS-2 and Step 1 that Derm is something they want to pursue. You do not have to be gung-ho about Derm from the first day of med school. In fact, you seriously risk pissing people off.
I think the title for that thread should be "How to be the derm applicant that gets 15+ interviews and be a winner!"

Agreed. All programs are competitive and it's a quirky process. I think name and location do matter. As you mentioned, look at resident rosters and many of the top programs. Most are from top schools and/or regional programs. If I were doing a research year, that would be a major criteria along with having some confidence that the year would be productive.
I agree. Just doing a research year isn't enough or just doing it at a top derm program isn't enough and doesn't entitle you to an interview there. Just to be clear, I'm not calling anyone here entitled, but you have to understand the way derm faculty see it, who do. Derm is a very tight knit field whom people know each other very well and see each other all the time. You'll be amazed people who thought they did great during their research year, and then their LOR is lukewarm.

You guys have to realize that tons of people do research years - heck even PhD postdocs work in Derm research labs and do years of research. Doing a research year isn't "special" and you shouldn't expect to get more interviews, solely bc you took a year off to participate in research at a derm program. It also doesn't erase your academic performance up to this point as well.

my research year was very valuable to me and i would recommend it to anyone thinking about derm--not just because it significantly upped my application and i've gotten interviews at top 10 progs that i definitely wouldn't have gotten last year--but also because even if it didn't work out that way, i would have the peace of mind knowing i did everything i could to make myself as competitive of an applicant as possible.

my research year was very valuable to me and i would recommend it to anyone thinking about derm--not just because it significantly upped my application and i've gotten interviews at top 10 progs that i definitely wouldn't have gotten last year--but also because even if it didn't work out that way, i would have the peace of mind knowing i did everything i could to make myself as competitive of an applicant as possible.

Sorry, for the previous bitching. Yeah, I do think it has been helpful, and I probably have gotten several invites because of it, however, things have just not played out the way I thought they would. But, then again, that's derm (and life). 'm probably over-thinking this process. I think I should take @DermViser's advice and drink more and ride this one out

Sorry, for the previous bitching. Yeah, I do think it has been helpful, and I probably have gotten several invites because of it, however, things have just not played out the way I thought they would. But, then again, that's derm (and life). 'm probably over-thinking this process. I think I should take @DermViser's advice and drink more and ride this one out

I think we all understand here. It's really difficult for people applying in other specialties to understand what exactly you're going thru by applying in Derm . Med school admins are definitely clueless as to the process. Sometimes Derm faculty themselves aren't the best in gauging how many interviews you'll get when you want clear answers as to your chances. Not to mention on the interview trail, you'll always meet someone "better" than you who seems more worthy, and you'll interview with not so affable derm faculty. It's very difficult not to feel 5 inches tall in this process, esp. when there are tons of specialties who would salivate to get the type of applicants derm gets. The process by its nature can be quite a humbling experience. Just keep that in mind and attack every interview bc you deserve to be there. Keep in good contact with your LOR mentors.

Ok so I realize I can probably research this myself but here is a question for those of us already in the know. If you match at program with "continued accreditation with warning", and then halfway into the program it loses accreditation altogether, I've heard it is possible to just transfer to another program because you ACGME Medicare dollars will follow you there (i.e. it doesn't cost the program you're transferring to anything to bring you on board so it's relatively easy to find a program to transfer to). Is this true and if so can you point me to some cited/verifiable source?

Ok so I realize I can probably research this myself but here is a question for those of us already in the know. If you match at program with "continued accreditation with warning", and then halfway into the program it loses accreditation altogether, I've heard it is possible to just transfer to another program because you ACGME Medicare dollars will follow you there (i.e. it doesn't cost the program you're transferring to anything to bring you on board so it's relatively easy to find a program to transfer to). Is this true and if so can you point me to some cited/verifiable source?
Definitely true. It's an ACGME rule. When your program closes up, they essentially lose their residency spots and the spot funding goes with the resident. You just have to find a program willing to take you and they always do bc which program wouldn't want extra funding for a spot? See the first resident listed at UNC: http://www.med.unc.edu/derm/medical-education/residency-training-program/our-current-residents, when Buffalo lost accreditation.