2014-2015 ERAS Pathology RESULTS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Latest update since the Dean's letter released. I now have 7 interviews, all New England and NYC area. Looking forward to going on the interview trail. Anyone else coming to the northeast?

I've had 3 IV's and 3 rejections. Did you apply on the very first day of ERAS? I wonder if that affects anything.

I'm an IMG, so that definitely has an effect....

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Has anyone heard anything from Hopkins yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Programs applied to: Emory, Florida, LSU, Mississippi, South Alabama, Tennessee, Tulane, UAB, UTSW, Vanderbilt

Interviews: Tulane, Tennessee, Mississippi, South Alabama, UAB, Emory, LSU, Florida

I've had 3 IV's and 3 rejections. Did you apply on the very first day of ERAS? I wonder if that affects anything.

I'm an IMG, so that definitely has an effect....

I did apply on the first day, but I don't think that affected anything because friends who did not until the next day have similar numbers of interviews. I think it's being an IMG, so you just need to apply broadly.

Hi folks
I need urgent advice
I am an IMG with step 1 only (238), old IMG graduation year2004, completed pathology residency outside US and a one year fellowship, i have a first author publication in archives of pathology and laboratory medicine, i an now in US, got a green card... Can I still apply now for interviews and catch 2015 match? Your input is highly appreciated

All depends of your country of training and your recommendations,

Interviews scheduled- Mass General, Beth Israel, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth, Rutgers NJ, LIJH long island NY, VT. Not in any particular order except financial ease of travel plans. 6 apps pending.

Interviews scheduled- Mass General, Beth Israel, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth, Rutgers NJ, LIJH long island NY, VT. Not in any particular order except financial ease of travel plans. 6 apps pending.

Great! When did you get an invite from Yale? Still waiting to hear from them.

If programs send out interview invitations in one day, would they send more invitations at a later date?or is it a now or never phenomenon?

If programs send out interview invitations in one day, would they send more invitations at a later date?or is it a now or never phenomenon?

Some of them send it out at a later date. I have gotten some (a few weeks after) after they sent out invitations to others. So don't worry! Im sure you'll hear back soon. Its weird, some programs have sent out invitations the first day and some have not sent any out at all to anyone yet.

I did apply on the first day, but I don't think that affected anything because friends who did not until the next day have similar numbers of interviews. I think it's being an IMG, so you just need to apply broadly.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose it is the IMG factor--I applied to quite a significant number of programs in the country and am still waiting. When you said you went a little crazy with 17 programs......I applied to more than 50! Wonder what that makes me...lol

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone apply/ hear from NYU or Jackson Memorial in Miami?

Hi everyone! I am a new registered user of sdn, but I have been lurking threads for a few years now haha. Congrats on these great interviews so far! I hope to meet some of you on the interview trail. I am an MS4 at a Southeastern medical school. My step 1 score is in the 250s, step 2 is 250s as well; I'm not AOA and I don't have much research. My school encourages us to apply to 20 schools and go on 12 interviews. So far I have heard from BI, BWH, Columbia, Duke, Emory, LIJ, MUSC, NYU, Tulane, UAB, UChicago, UF, UNC, USF, UTHSC and Yale. Still waiting on Northwestern,Vandy, UMiami and UTSW.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wish everyone the best. thank you for everyone's posts

Last edited:
Great! When did you get an invite from Yale? Still waiting to hear from them.
Sorry- I missed this one. I got my invite a couple of weeks ago. Most programs review applications in batches, so that doesn't mean you won't get an invite. They may not have reviewed your file yet.

Hi everyone! I am a new registered user of sdn, but I have been lurking threads for a few years now haha. Congrats on these great interviews so far! I hope to meet some of you on the interview trail. I am an MS4 at a Southeastern medical school. My step 1 score is in the 250s, step 2 is pending; I'm not AOA and I don't have much research. My school encourages us to apply to 20 schools and go on 12 interviews. So far I have heard from BI, BWH, Columbia, Duke, Emory, LIJ, MUSC, NYU, Tulane, UAB, UChicago, UF, UNC, USF, UTHSC and Yale. Still waiting on Northwestern,Vandy, UMiami and UTSW.
Hi, When did you get the IV from Columbia?

Has anyone been to Albert Einstein in the Bronx yet (up in the 200s)? I'm trying to find a hotel nearby, but it's slim pickings and was wondering if anyone stayed somewhere they thought was decent (Clean, safe, etc). I'm wondering if it's better to just stay in midtown and make a morning commute.

Same issue with Mount Sinai on 101st and Park.

Thanks!

Hey guys, longtime lurker here with the same question! Anyone heard anything from jackson memorial? I'm starting to get worried. :(
I heard back from them about a week ago. 10/22 I think. Don't worry. Maybe they are still sending out invites. I can't imagine they send out their entire invite list in one go.

How are interviews going guys? Any programs you really like or dislike? I'm particularly interested in what you guys think of the northeastern programs. Any programs seem malignant? Good luck everyone!

Hi folks
I need urgent advice
I am an IMG with step 1 only (238), old IMG graduation year2004, completed pathology residency outside US and a one year fellowship, i have a first author publication in archives of pathology and laboratory medicine, i an now in US, got a green card... Can I still apply now for interviews and catch 2015 match? Your input is highly appreciated
In my opinion your credentials are good, except for the fact that you haven't taken/passed Step 2 yet. Even though the rest of your application may look great, I'm afraid a lot of programs may not look closely at you because of the Step 2.

But you can certainly try. If you have applied for Step 2 and have a date set for taking it, that may satisfy some people. It's getting late in the application season, but you can still apply and make the 2015 match. A bunch of places are still taking applications, and some do interviews well into January, though those spots may not be as good.

Good luck.

General update for my experiences. I interviewed at most of the programs I received invites to and enjoyed all of my interview days. Overall, I think the departments were trying to get a feel for my goals and if the faculty and residents could work with and train me. A lot of interview sessions seemed to focus on what the program had to offer regarding some of my stated interests (informatics/micro/molecular and of course surg. path). I wasn't asked any super weird questions and only a couple of times to clarify a sentence or two on my application. I also wasn't asked often about personal matters, but tended to mention living situation and geographic considerations to my and my significant other's families. Emory, UAB, MCG, UNC, MUSC (no particular order in that list) are some of the places I'm really interested in. Hopefully I made a good impression at each of them and of course am thankful to start meeting some of you, as well as residents, and faculty who are going to be future colleagues. I hope everyone's interviews have been going well and that you had a great Thanksgiving!

So interviews are over (for me) and it's graduation year for many of us! I've decided to focus the top of my rank list on NYC because I have just loved Manhattan and people are really friendly for such a huge city. Has anyone else decided where their favorite programs are?

So interviews are over (for me) and it's graduation year for many of us! I've decided to focus the top of my rank list on NYC because I have just loved Manhattan and people are really friendly for such a huge city. Has anyone else decided where their favorite programs are?
Hi Sarahkeet, what did you think of the New York programs? I really enjoyed Columbia and NYU, but it is hard to tell which one is the "best" program that would, for example, groom us best for fellowships at MSK, etc. I love Manhattan, but overall I thought many of the programs were lacking. Any thoughts welcome :)

Hi Sarahkeet, what did you think of the New York programs? I really enjoyed Columbia and NYU, but it is hard to tell which one is the "best" program that would, for example, groom us best for fellowships at MSK, etc. I love Manhattan, but overall I thought many of the programs were lacking. Any thoughts welcome :)

I really loved both Columbia and NYU. For me, high on my list will be Columbia, Einstein, NYU, Mount Sinai. They all regularly place residents for fellowship at MSK, which was also a consideration for me. When deciding if you want to go, I would consider what specialties you are most interested in and rank ones with strengths in those areas higher on your list.

Hey Sarahkeet- was wondering why Cornell wasn't high on your list? Any thoughts welcome!

Last edited:
Hey Sarahkeet- was wondering why Cornell wasn't high on your list? Any thoughts welcome!

Hi fishfly. I cannot speak for Sarahkeet, but for me I did not apply to Cornell because I heard from residents at Columbia and NYU that it was not very collegial and that the residents were not happy. That being said, I have also heard that they are making a lot of positive changes to the program.

Last edited:
Hi all, I hope you all had a great new year and that you are almost at the conclusion of your interview season! For those that interviewed at Duke and BIDMC (Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard Medical School), could you comment on any strengths or weaknesses that really stood out to you on your interview day? Also, feel free to share some of your favorite (and least favorite) experiences from the trail!

Everybody getting their rank lists together? Is that something people post on here? Curious to see if I can 'meet' any of my future colleagues before match day :) :)

Hi fishfly. I cannot speak for Sarahkeet, but for me I did not apply to Cornell because I heard from residents at Columbia and NYU that it was not very collegial and that the residents were not happy. Anecdotally, I have heard that some residents at Cornell "would not choose the program if they had to do it over again". To me, that is a red flag. That being said, I have also heard that they are making a lot of positive changes to the program.

That is interesting. I had heard that Cornell might be malignant but did not get that impression at all on my interview day. I'm not as interested in NYC as other locations but I did interview at all of the Manhattan programs and Columbia was my favorite, followed by Cornell. The residents seemed very happy and I was able to meet a lot of them during the interview day. Wish there would have been a dinner though because I feel like you always get more information out of the residents during the dinner. I had actually heard that Mt. Sinai was the most malignant program in NYC prior to interviews but I actually liked this program and faculty a lot but didn't feel like I would mesh as well with the residents. NYU was the only program in NYC that I disliked...mainly because of the structure of the AP and CP rotations (2 years AP followed by 2 years CP).

I also didn't get that impression of Cornell. The upper years admit things used to be bad but seems like a lot has changed over the last several years. Residents now seem pretty happy.

Any thoughts on some of the west coast programs? UW, UCLA, Stanford

Hi-- Cornell was not high on my list because they did not offer me an interview :) I also have heard that they are not the friendliest, so it is probably for the best, but I only can say that through hearsay. They may be excellent and I just don't know because I never visited.

I also didn't get that impression of Cornell. The upper years admit things used to be bad but seems like a lot has changed over the last several years. Residents now seem pretty happy.

Any thoughts on some of the west coast programs? UW, UCLA, Stanford

Only applied to stanford on that list, Galli's stepping down, not sure how much that will change the department in terms of residents, thought it was less academic than UCSF, certainly less case volume, lots of money to do research if you'd like to do that, you have time to do it given the case load, new gi fellowship under longacre, hot seat surg path fellowship is an awesome experience, from what I hear. That being said, it's in the top 5 on my list.

I went for a second look at Columbia and it just reinforced that they were my favorite program by far. Fingers crossed.

That's awesome! NYU is my favorite program in the city with Columbia at a very close second. I really liked both programs. I am really looking forward to match day... excited to see where I will end up!!

Sarahkeet and mdseeker87, I'm sure both of you will match at your number ones! I went for a second look at Emory and had a great day (got to see a little more of their CP side). Emory is my favorite so far for a lot of reasons. I certified my first go at my rank list yesterday (and will probably be compulsively checking it each day to make sure I put programs in the correct spot, haha), we will see what happens in the match!

Did anyone interview at Mount Sinai or know anything about the program? I also did my first go at my rank list and certified it, but I'm deciding if I want to make any changes before the deadline. Stress! (but also lots of fun and exciting). mdseeker87- NYU is very very high on my list, so maybe I'll see you there! The only reason I didn't make them #1 is because I'm uncomfortable with the 2 years AP/2 years CP thing and prefer it to be integrated since I don't know which I'll like better yet.

So the verdict is AP/CP at Columbia-NYPH! Anyone else?

Congratulations @Sarahkeet. You will love Dr Marboe and CPMC is an amazing hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
@BlondeDocteur Thank you. I am really excited. I really enjoyed meeting with Dr. Marboe and can't wait to train with such a friendly and welcoming group. I didn't know if I would find down to earth nice people and a top program all in the same place, but this is Pathology. The decent person to jerk ratio is pretty great for us.