2014-2015 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please provide details of your activities for the application year. Character limit 600 (including spaces).
You must answer all 4 essays. (Limit each essay to 1200 characters including spaces.)

1. Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, please describe how your personal characteristics and values make you a suitable candidate for medicine. How will you contribute to the student body?
2. Describe how you have handled a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you face possible challenges in medical school.
3. Explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you.
4. Give an example when you were part of a team. What was your role in the team? How did you contribute to this task group? How often did you interact with other team members?

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just got the secondary invite, but can't actually open the "begin/ view" link since it says it closed on Jan 1, 2014. Does it work for anyone else? I don't want to email them if it's something they are likely to fix soon on their own.

Just got the secondary invite, but can't actually open the "begin/ view" link since it says it closed on Jan 1, 2014. Does it work for anyone else? I don't want to email them if it's something they are likely to fix soon on their own.

Same here.

Members don't see this ad :)

Same problem

Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please provide details of your activities for the application year. Character limit 600 (including spaces).

You must answer all 4 essays. (Limit each essay to 1200 characters including spaces.)

1. Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, please describe how your personal characteristics and values make you a suitable candidate for medicine. How will you contribute to the student body?
2. Describe how you have handled a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you face possible challenges in medical school.
3. Explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you.
4. Give an example when you were part of a team. What was your role in the team? How did you contribute to this task group? How often did you interact with other team members?

Reactions: 1 users
When we are writing the secondaries, are we allowed to assume they've read our primary applications? Like in explaining the continued activites, can I assume they already know the details of certain volunteering activities I've already mentioned?

Reactions: 1 user
When we are writing the secondaries, are we allowed to assume they've read our primary applications? Like in explaining the continued activites, can I assume they already know the details of certain volunteering activities I've already mentioned?
I did. They're only giving 600 characters to outline a years worth of activities, so I'm leaving the detail-finding up to them for activities I've already described

I just submitted this application. I did all the new questions. I'm not looking forward to the drug testing this school provides. They test for alcohol (o.0) and I'm going to end up testing positive bc for something else bc of one of the prescription medicines I take. Will they accept doctors notes that explain that? I'm a bit concerned.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just submitted this application. I did all the new questions. I'm not looking forward to the drug testing this school provides. They test for alcohol (o.0) and I'm going to end up testing positive bc for something else bc of one of the prescription medicines I take. Will they accept doctors notes that explain that? I'm a bit concerned.
If you have medical documentation that can explain it you should be okay. I wouldn't worry about it.

Does anyone remember how much this secondary application fee was? I just hit submit and can't find the cost anywhere.

Does anyone remember how much this secondary application fee was? I just hit submit and can't find the cost anywhere.
I haven't submitted yet but it should be $30. Someone else can confirm though.

Don't most schools drug test students before matriculation? It's just a routine urine test right? It says the price is the student's responsibility so I'm hoping we won't be expected to pay for a follicle test haha

definitely $30. Just submitted as well! Really excited for this school

For the 600 character part, does it want us to provide details for the last 1 year or for the upcoming one year on what we plan to do?

When they ask if you are a reapplicant, is that referring to only FIU or medical school in general?

I'm confused about the background check and drug test, do you do that post acceptance or when you submit your secondary?

M2 here. I'll try to help out as best I can over the year. Best of luck to everyone during this cycle!
Will they accept doctors notes that explain that? I'm a bit concerned.
Yes, you'll be ok.
Don't most schools drug test students before matriculation? It's just a routine urine test right? It says the price is the student's responsibility so I'm hoping we won't be expected to pay for a follicle test haha
I'm confused about the background check and drug test, do you do that post acceptance or when you submit your secondary?
The drug screening and background checks are done prematriculation (after you are accepted). It should still be a urine test (~$50).

if you complete the secondary already, does FIU grant interviews even though you are retaking the MCAT next month?

M2 here. I'll try to help out as best I can over the year. Best of luck to everyone during this cycle!

Yes, you'll be ok.

The drug screening and background checks are done prematriculation (after you are accepted). It should still be a urine test (~$50).

would that be after you decide exactly where you want to go or before May 15th?

if you complete the secondary already, does FIU grant interviews even though you are retaking the MCAT next month?
If your application looks good as it is (with your current MCAT), you've got a shot at an interview; however, if your application has some blemishes, admissions will likely assign you to a "hold" status until your updated score is received.
would that be after you decide exactly where you want to go or before May 15th?
For the past cycle, the deadline was July 1st. I presume that it will stay the same for C/O 2019.

How does FIU review multiple MCAT scores? I have a score from 2012(31= 11PS/10V/10BS) and took my MCAT last week. There is a chance that my new score might be a slightly below my current score...I really hope FIU takes the highest of the 2 scores

Has anyone noticed some discrepancies with the term years on the secondary? For example if I took a class in Spring 2011, It'll come up under 2010, all my classes on AMCAS were verified without corrections, so I doubt it's anything related to AMCAS. Just want to make sure that this won't be an issue. Thanks!

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed some discrepancies with the term years on the secondary? For example if I took a class in Spring 2011, It'll come up under 2010, all my classes on AMCAS were verified without corrections, so I doubt it's anything related to AMCAS. Just want to make sure that this won't be an issue. Thanks!

Not just you. I just went ahead and left them as is. If there's any confusion among the adcom they can just look at my actual AMCAS application.

I'm staring at FIU in the fall, the drug test was not a big deal, they give you as much time as you want (until July 1) and you can schedule it for whenever. Do they test for alcohol? Yes, but I can tell you that all I did was not drink for 24 hours and I was fine. The prescriptions are okay too, you just need documentation from your doctor- don't worry!

On a separate note, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you guys have about the school and my first impressions when I get there. Cheers!

I'm staring at FIU in the fall, the drug test was not a big deal, they give you as much time as you want (until July 1) and you can schedule it for whenever. Do they test for alcohol? Yes, but I can tell you that all I did was not drink for 24 hours and I was fine. The prescriptions are okay too, you just need documentation from your doctor- don't worry!

On a separate note, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you guys have about the school and my first impressions when I get there. Cheers!

Great info thanks :). I have some questions about FIU:

could you tell me about some opportunities that you really enjoyed being a part of at FIU medical school and would recommend to anyone who is going there? What opportunities at FIU really influenced your perception of medicine and the medical speciality you're considering?

How close are the faculty to students? is it relatively easy to talk to faculty members and get involved with their research?

What are some research opportunities you have explored?

Could you tell me about the way the curriculum is structured at FIU and how that affected your education?

How's the area FIU is in?

could you tell me about some opportunities that you really enjoyed being a part of at FIU medical school and would recommend to anyone who is going there? What opportunities at FIU really influenced your perception of medicine and the medical speciality you're considering?

How close are the faculty to students? is it relatively easy to talk to faculty members and get involved with their research?

Could you tell me about the way the curriculum is structured at FIU and how that affected your education?

mrh, as soon as I start and have a better idea of my thoughts I'll post them here for you, good luck with secondaries!

Applying IS. CGPA: 3.5. SGPA 3.33. Predicted MCAT scores (comes out on 7/22): 28-30.

First question is so dependent from person to person. FIU stands out with the NHELP program, which shows you a different aspect of medicine that you wouldn't normally see at most schools. Faculty can be close to students (depends if you want to go to class). You can get research extremely easily in probably any field of interest. I found research within two days of looking in the field that I wanted. Curriculum is basic science first year organ systems year 2.

Secondary finally submitted! Let the dreadful wait comence.

Re-applicant to this school and completed my undergrad here. Would really love for this to be my first II and acceptance.

does anyone have a status beyond "secondary app completed". I've been complete since 6/30/14

does anyone have a status beyond "secondary app completed". I've been complete since 6/30/14
Mine says "Preliminary Review Complete." Haven't looked at this for a while, so no idea when this happened.

Secondary SUbmitted!

Applying IS. CGPA: 3.5. SGPA 3.33. Predicted MCAT scores (comes out on 7/22): 28-30.
My stat are almost like your...if possible can you give me update on your application since I will be applying next cycle? Thank you very much!