2014-2015 Georgetown GEMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shewillcreate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why hello! I've looked around SDN trying to find a thread for the 2014-2015 Georgetown GEMS cycle, after reading those of 2011-2012 and 2012-2013. No such luck, so I decided to create this one ;) I will be applying this year and I'm wondering if anyone else here on SDN is too??

Application opens 2/15 @ 8 AM !!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there! I'll definitely be applying this cycle. This program has been my motivation since I heard about it around August. Everything Georgetown, and specifically this program, stands for is what I want.

I have heard great things about GEMS as it seems that hard work truly pays off. I'm looking forward to applying here. I'm not sure if I'll be worthy but I'll try nonetheless.

God bless and best of luck to you and everyone else!

Yaqoub

Hi Yaqoub!
How fantastic! I've heard great things about this program and have been waiting anxiously for Feb to roll around. I hope that there will others who respond to this thread so that we can go through the process together and maybe meet up during interviews like past GEMS-SDNers have done!

Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, that sounds good! Let's see how it goes.

:)

Hi! I was wondering when a thread would start for this year's application cycle.
Also anxiously waiting for feb 15 to come around. I was supposed to apply last cycle but I couldn't I am this cycle though so I'm excited!!

Hi Faswm! Welcome!
I'm glad that you will be applying too. I feel like time is passing by slowly. Do you have any idea what the application looks like? What types of questions they will be asking us?

unfortunately I will not be applying because biochem is a required class and not a recommend course like previous years.... :meh:
gotta put my hope in other programs now

I'm thinking about applying to this program as well. I'm really interested in GEMS and would love to go here. I just have some questions about stats and linkage? Is there linkage with Georgetown SOM? What are the average MCAT and GPA for accepted students to GEM?

Hi sillybiogirl,
As far as I know from the program website and from reading previous threads, there isn't a linkage for GU SOM through GEMS. However GEMS has a high matriculation percentage for GEMS students after successful completion of the program. Here is the link to the website where you can see the mcat and gpa stats :)
http://gems.georgetown.edu/

Check out the FAQ

Hey yall (waves hand),

BlessedSerenity89 here hailing from GA! I will be applying this cycle as well! I have heard so many great things about the GEMS program. I hope it works out for everyone. Goodluck!

Welcome BlessedSerenity89!

I'm so excited to see more GEMS hopefuls posting here! We're finally getting close to the 15th! Thank goodness I feel like it's taking forever, I just wanna apply already >.<!
It sure would be nice if we can get some old/current GEMS students to talk with us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Shewillcreate,

W only have 4 more days to go! I'm getting excited and nervous at the same time. That's great that you're from NM. I haven't had a chance to visit there, but I would like to one day. Hopefully we can get some old/current students to talk to us soon. I am going to try to reach out.

Guess what link is available!! Good luck to all!!

Edit: But the GEMS page still says the app cycle will open Feb 15 at 8:00am ?

Last edited:
Hi ussmediprise,
You're right! The link is available of the GEMS website however when you complete the general information section of the application, GEMS isn't available from the drop down list of programs to apply to... I'm guessing that this will change tomorrow? Also there aren't any essay questions up yet, which I thought there was supposed to be???

Hey Shewillcreate,

W only have 4 more days to go! I'm getting excited and nervous at the same time. That's great that you're from NM. I haven't had a chance to visit there, but I would like to one day. Hopefully we can get some old/current students to talk to us soon. I am going to try to reach out.
Any luck on getting in contact with current/former GEMS students? Less than 24hrs to go, yay! Just like you I'm nervous and excited about this entire process! I hope we all have the best of luck!

Hi ussmediprise,
You're right! The link is available of the GEMS website however when you complete the general information section of the application, GEMS isn't available from the drop down list of programs to apply to... I'm guessing that this will change tomorrow? Also there aren't any essay questions up yet, which I thought there was supposed to be???

oh ok great. I didn't try to start but at leat we can create our log ins! Looks like we will have a busy Saturday :p

Any luck on getting in contact with current/former GEMS students? Less than 24hrs to go, yay! Just like you I'm nervous and excited about this entire process! I hope we all have the best of luck!

Hey Shewillcreate,

I did try messaging two of the former GEMS students from the past years forums, but no such luck. Maybe if all of us put in the effort we will find one. Apps open tomorrow! :)

Hey guys,
I think that would be a great idea if we all try to contact some former GEMS students! I hope you guys have a productive day today getting started on the application, it's asks quite a bit more than I though it would. Remember to be thorough and honest :) I'm sure we will all do great!

Best of luck and joy to each and every one applying! Lets keep in touch!

Hey everyone, I am a former GEMS/current M1 at GUSOM and I just happened to be on SDN today replying to a message. Maybe some current GEMS will post on here too but let me just give you a quick run down/response to some of the more frequently asked questions.

First of all GEMS is INTENSE, but totally worth it!!!!! Always check with the website for requirements because things get changed from year to year and I don't want to lead anyone astray. You should read the mission of GEMS before you spend your money applying because the admissions committee does a great job of making sure the accepted students really mesh with the mission of GEMS, the mission of Georgetown School of Medicine, etc.

As far as a typical day in the life of a GEMS student (this is a very popular SDN question lol) you can plan on GEMS being your job, meaning you will be unavailable from 8-5 daily and the day is filled with a variety of activities including lectures, small groups, etc. If invited for an interview you will learn more about it then, that is all that I can say about that.

If accepted to GEMS you do not retake the MCAT during the GEMS year; most people aim to matriculate at Georgetown and about 70-75% of each class does.

I will TRY to check this thread at least weekly during the application cycle (I apologize in advance if its longer than that) and you can also direct message me and I will try and get back with you. Good Luck everyone!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Hello Medschoolbound1!!!
Thank you so much for taking the time to post here! I appreciate it! I have a couple of questions to ask and I'm sure the others do too!

Does anyone, in the program, know how financial is taken care of?

what do you guys think is competitive stats to get in?

So can we not send letters of recommendation? I was reading the application and they want the evaluators to fill out a an evaluation form? Please let me know if you have any insight on this... thank you :D

So can we not send letters of recommendation? I was reading the application and they want the evaluators to fill out a an evaluation form? Please let me know if you have any insight on this... thank you :D

Nope. You can't send letters in, either directly from your recommender or through interfolio, which is kind of inconvenient, but guess we'll have to ask our recommenders to fill out the GEMS form. Is anyone else having trouble with this? My old profs are super busy this time of year....

Wow, it's already this time of year again. It's been such a long time since I went through the process myself. Let me just say good luck to all who are applying and that this is an amazing opportunity. Be ready to work your ass off but have fun doing it.

feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Nope. You can't send letters in, either directly from your recommender or through interfolio, which is kind of inconvenient, but guess we'll have to ask our recommenders to fill out the GEMS form. Is anyone else having trouble with this? My old profs are super busy this time of year....

Having the same problem.

I got my recommendations back in 2012 send to my university's letter service.

I don't want to back to campus and ask them to do it again. I emailed my professors. However I doubt they are gonna respond.

Hey,

I think they can upload an actual letter as well, but they MUST fill out the GEMS form.

Wow, it's already this time of year again. It's been such a long time since I went through the process myself. Let me just say good luck to all who are applying and that this is an amazing opportunity. Be ready to work your ass off but have fun doing it.

feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks for taking the time to talk to us! We really appreciate it!

you guys think they would make an exception for LOR?

i have been out of school for 2 years and my LOR professors have not responded to my email?

Why cant I just send my LOR packet from my letter service?

you guys think they would make an exception for LOR?

i have been out of school for 2 years and my LOR professors have not responded to my email?

Why cant I just send my LOR packet from my letter service?

You may want to email GEMS and ask them. Do you have any science professors that you can email to get recommendations from? I have been out of school for 3 years. The only reason I was able to get 2 professors was that I kept up with them and they have kept up with me over the past couple of years so I was able to ask. Keep emailing them and call if you have to (but not like a crazy person. And this is your ABSOLUTE last resort)

You may want to email GEMS and ask them. Do you have any science professors that you can email to get recommendations from? I have been out of school for 3 years. The only reason I was able to get 2 professors was that I kept up with them and they have kept up with me over the past couple of years so I was able to ask. Keep emailing them and call if you have to (but not like a crazy person. And this is your ABSOLUTE last resort)

i went to a large state school. the professors care more about their research than pre-med undergrads who they know are building a relationship just there for a recommendation.

i have the recommendations and I emailed the professors letting them know I need them to submit them thru GEMS.

i went to a large state school. the professors care more about their research than pre-med undergrads who they know are building a relationship just there for a recommendation.

i have the recommendations and I emailed the professors letting them know I need them to submit them thru GEMS.
Oh okay. If it was me I would try to call. Only if they didn't respond in like the next week or so. Remember the deadline is the 29th

Where do you guys think they put most of the weight: the evaluation or the actual letter? Also I'm a little confused about how we submit our transcripts? Anyone submit yet?

Thanks!

It makes me feel so great to see all of this support here!
:soexcited:

Where do you guys think they put most of the weight: the evaluation or the actual letter? Also I'm a little confused about how we submit our transcripts? Anyone submit yet?

Thanks!
I submitted my transcript. When you get towards the end of the application when you click submit, it tells you when to send additional documents i.e. transcripts.

I submitted my transcript. When you get towards the end of the application when you click submit, it tells you when to send additional documents i.e. transcripts.

So my university will send my official transcripts to the application? Similar to how it was done for AMCAS?

Errr okay I get it lol. Thanks Future MD827! All the best to you!

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I have been watching this thread and since I will also be applying am going to stop being a peeping tom:shifty: and participate :laugh:Seems this thread is a little less active than previous years????

Welcome docinthemaking9 and clearorca!!
Yeah this thread is much more quite compared to previous years. Maybe not as many people know about the program? Anyway, let's get to know each other: where is everyone from and what are y'all's majors?

I'm from New Mexico and I majored in biochemistry.

Welcome docinthemaking9 and clearorca!!
Yeah this thread is much more quite compared to previous years. Maybe not as many people know about the program? Anyway, let's get to know each other: where is everyone from and what are y'all's majors?

I'm from New Mexico and I majored in biochemistry.
I agree this thread is entirely too quiet. I'm from Miami, FL and I majored in Biomedical Sciences

Thanks!

I wanna say they will weigh the evaluation more since it is required and the letter is optional.

I wanna say they will weigh the evaluation more since it is required and the letter is optional.
Yeah you're probably right... The eval just seems too simple? Where are you from prise?

I agree this thread is entirely too quiet. I'm from Miami, FL and I majored in Biomedical Sciences
Wow Miami?! I've never seen the ocean in my life lol strange I know.

Hey guys not sure how they want us to fill this out ......what did you guys do for the part where it says:
Previous Courses

Please indicate the following: (include formal & informal courses, credit & non-credit courses)
Anatomy
Institution Yr # weeks final grade

Is it like Sophomore 14 weeks A? BTW I am from DC area good luck to you guys!

Yeah you're probably right... The eval just seems too simple? Where are you from prise?

Wow Miami?! I've never seen the ocean in my life lol strange I know.
Whoa? really? I guess it's the equivalent of me never seeing snow lol