2014-2015 Georgetown GEMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm I think you're reading it wrong? On top is says APPLICATION STATUS SUBMITTED but right below that it should say GEMS COMPLETED and GEMS IN REVIEW. Like, right below the box.... The application status stays the same.

Hmm.... Under the "Applications Status: Submitted" status it just has the date and time I submitted the app. No box, or any of the other statuses. I'll just watch it tomorrow and see if anything changes. Or maybe I'm just slow and have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at. lol.

Thanks tho!

Members don't see this ad.

2nd week of April maybe this week we'll see some invites

Yes! im doing my best to be optimistic but cant help but be nervous as well lol

Members don't see this ad :)
lol this is my second time applying to GEMS... and the incessant paranoia of receiving a phone call is driving me crazy

Hey. Do you mind telling me your stats that you applied with last year?

Best of luck this time around! :):thumbup:

Yeah no problem... I applied with a 2.4 sgpa, 2.3 overall and 25O mcat. I finished my masters in biochemistry, added more volunteer work to my resume and decided to reapply this year. Thanks Dstined4gr8t, good luck to us all!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah no problem... I applied with a 2.4 sgpa, 2.3 overall and 25O mcat. I finished my masters in biochemistry, added more volunteer work to my resume and decided to reapply this year. Thanks Dstined4gr8t, good luck to us all!!!!

Yay for biochem!! that was my undergrad major!

Ok y'all. I realize this is going to increase anxiety but i was just looking at last year's thread and it seems like people were notified from Apr 10-12th which was on wednesday-friday. A rejection letter was received on April 15th, the monday after the first calls..

Today is Thursday, April 9th.

Ok y'all. I realize this is going to increase anxiety but i was just looking at last year's thread and it seems like people were notified from Apr 10-12th which was on wednesday-friday. A rejection letter was received on April 15th, the monday after the first calls..

Today is Thursday, April 9th.

Hahaha yeah no pressure.... AHHHHH!!! lol jkjk but yes I'm actually anxious, I keep looking at my email and keeping my phone next to me throughout the day lol the wait is killing me lol thanks for the info :)

Like all of you, I am too waiting for that magic phone call. Dstined4gr8t is right, they call on April 10-12 (at least that was the case last couple years), and it's usually Thursday or Friday. I was feeling calm until today and now checking email, phone, and mail.

The status of my application still says "In review". I think when you receive a rejection letter, the status changes to complete.

Maybe this year, they will notify us on Monday. Only GEMS knows how many people applied this year. Last year, the number was surprisingly lower than their usual number of applicants, which is around 200.

If you get a call, please let us know where you are from and when you submitted your app. I will do the same. I hope everyone hears good news!

Maybe this year, they will notify us on Monday. Only GEMS knows how many people applied this year. Last year, the number was surprisingly lower than their usual number of applicants, which is around 200.

If you get a call, please let us know where you are from and when you submitted your app. I will do the same. I hope everyone hears good news!

I wonder if their applicant pool was even smaller this year since it seems the LOR posed a problem for several applicants...

Is it just me but were previous years able to use Interfolio for their application? I think that probably effected the applicant pool greatly. Kinda makes it unfair for some individuals above who've been away from school for a bit.

Plus it's a bit hard to ask recommenders for anything with just 4-6 weeks notice. That's usually the minimum amount of time anyone should give. Some recommenders can take as much as 2-3 months to get them out of the way. Especially professors that teach 200 students a year, many of which are probably asking for recs as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, but if you look at the GEMS FAQ sheet, the amount of applicants are getting smaller with each year. The recommendation form is probably a way for the committee to narrow down the number of applicants
On the other hand, there are tons of conditional programs with different requisites. Just explore as many of them as you can and weight your chances.

2011 - 185
2012 - 198
2013 - 130

It's very odd. I guess the fact that you can only submit applications online effects it too. Professors would rather not go through the trouble of making passwords and stuff.

2011 - 185
2012 - 198
2013 - 130

It's very odd. I guess the fact that you can only submit applications online effects it too. Professors would rather not go through the trouble of making passwords and stuff.
Wouldn't be surprised if this year was under 100 I think the online recommendation form is new.

Just hope acceptances are sent with a enough notice so we can plan ahead =/

Based on the previous threads, it seems like most people get invites on the Friday two weeks after the submission deadline. I'm guessing tomorrow is the last possible day. Good luck to everyone. :)

Last edited:
Then again this is all speculation since the program slightly changes each year from the past forums. All we can do at this point is wait and pray that we are selected.

True but the first interview is in about 10 days. I'm guessing they would want to give everyone time to prepare accordingly.

Reactions: 1 users
"Wouldn't be surprised if this year was under 100 I think the online recommendation form is new."

It's likely that last year less people applied due to the online recommendation form. But I doubt the number is less than 100. In my opinion, this is the best program compared to other similar programs which help you get into med school.

I barely got my recommendations on time. I have been out of school for a little while and some had letter from one science professor. All my other letters did not count. I barely got that requirement completed and was able to submit on the last day lol.

Calls might be going out tomorrow but my gut feeling says they will start calling on Monday. Unless someone already got a call and is not telling us haha

I wonder if their applicant pool was even smaller this year since it seems the LOR posed a problem for several applicants...

I agree. I think including the new LOR requirement and Biochem being required instead of recommended significantly reduced the pool size. Maybe they will just invite proportionally so it doesn't matter how big or small the pool is, the statistics will be the same. But if the class size is the same, that means that 80% of interviewees will get a spot in the class? Hmm. Either way, smaller pool = greater chances, so here's to hoping!

Anyway, I hope someone hears good news! All this waiting is giving me anxiety!

True but the first interview is in about 10 days. I'm guessing they would want to give everyone time to prepare accordingly.

10 days?! :eek:

Really hope they call tomorrow then! i wonder if the decrease in applicants means they're phasing out the program? is that far-fetched reasoning? lol

Hah. It seems like we're all getting to the point where we're over-analyzing the statistics. I've already read my application several times. Some days I feel confident other days I think I'll get an automatic rejection. It's a sucky feeling.

That being said, I don't expect the applicant pool to be above 150 at this point and I'm expecting a third of that to get interviews. I wonder how they'll make 50 calls in one day.

Yea i doubt it's gonna be up to 50 if they're gonna make all the calls in one day.

I've definitely done that too where i looked at my application like….yea you're not going anywhere and then other times I'm like maybe? loll ugh i need to know already!!

I really can not take this suspense...everytime a phone rings I tackle it.

Hey guys. Nice "meeting" you all. Glad there is a thread out there. I have the dreaded "in review." (Depression ensues)

oh man...the suspense! most offices/administrations are prob done for the day....maybe tomorrow?

Reactions: 1 user
lol...what are the chances someone from the GEMS committee is looking at this and marveling at our slightly nervous anticipation?

Were you interviewed the last time you applied?

Hello guys,
I am a current GEMS and I definitely understand how you all feel since I had to go through the same thing last year. Gems is indeed a wonderful program. Stay strong and you guys should start getting phone calls soon since the first interview date is approaching. If you have questions post them on here and I'll Check the tread over the weekend and try to answer them. I look forward to meet the lucky ones who get invited for an interview. Good luck to you all. !!

It's about 1PM eastern time and I didn't hear any news yet. I just wanted to let you guys know of my status.

Good luck to you all. Hopefully one of you hears from someone soon.

I keep checking my application hoping i don't see a "Complete" status...

^^ Don't worry about the 'Complete' status thing. I'm pretty sure that's some superstition developed from the previous years. Nothing is really final until you get something in the mail.

Hello All! Just wanted to introduce myself and let you know that I'm with you in this nail-biting stage :)