2014-2015 Loma Linda University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Excited about applying here! I've only heard good things.

Members don't see this ad :)
great school. applying here for sure

Realistically want to get some insight from maybe someone that is very familiar with this school or goes here currently...

If I am interested in applying because the mission statement actually does resonate with my personal beliefs, but am not officially part of the same mission, is it still worth applying?

Reactions: 1 users
Realistically want to get some insight from maybe someone that is very familiar with this school or goes here currently...

If I am interested in applying because the mission statement actually does resonate with my personal beliefs, but am not officially part of the same mission, is it still worth applying?

Anyone?!

Surprised that there has been no response... :(

Bbroush are you applying IS? Or just applying bc you like the school? Also kuods on profile picture- cute kid!
Thanks! Yeah, little Guatemalan kid from a slum town when I was down there last summer.
I don't think I'm IS. I dunno, I think in AMCAS I'm UT resident but my family is in CA and I probably make a case for residency if I get in there.

Thanks! Yeah, little Guatemalan kid from a slum town when I was down there last summer.
I don't think I'm IS. I dunno, I think in AMCAS I'm UT resident but my family is in CA and I probably make a case for residency if I get in there.

Very cool- well hopefully we both get a chance to interview here :) In any case, my guess is that state residency matters little compared to commitment to philosophy and lifestyle.

Very cool- well hopefully we both get a chance to interview here :) In any case, my guess is that state residency matters little compared to commitment to philosophy and lifestyle.
Absolutely, and I am in the same boat as you with their mission. Interested to see if you get a response

Hey so I understand that this is mostly a christian school and I was just wondering, as a non-christian applying, am I disadvantaged compared to other christian applicants? Also, how is life on campus? Im assuming that drinking alcohol is frowned upon in Loma Linda?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey so I understand that this is mostly a christian school and I was just wondering, as a non-christian applying, am I disadvantaged compared to other christian applicants? Also, how is life on campus? Im assuming that drinking alcohol is frowned upon in Loma Linda?

Hello! I think the preference is only given to SDA students, though I am not sure if they compare non-SDA christian v non-christian.

If you go to LLU you will sign a lifestyle agreement where you cannot drink alcohol or do drugs while a student at the university (this includes off-campus)

For current students: Anyone live a bit away? I have a house in Fullerton and would be commuting most likely (I don't mind the drive), but just wondering if anyone else does it, and how is it.

Does LLU have a strong screen for secondaries?

-EDIT- Just kidding:

• Do all applicants receive supplementary applications?
    Yes, Loma Linda University sends supplementary applications to all applicants. The invitation to submit the supplementary application is sent via email. Therefore, you should add llu.edu to your email service’s “safe list”. If you have not received an invitation email within two weeks of notification from AMCAS that your application has been verified, please check your email spam folder. If it is not there, please call the Office of Admissions at 909.558.4467 to check the status.

Just received Secondary! The prompts are the same as last year!

I'm not a Loma Linda student, but I do know a quite a few faculty and students at the med school. From what they've told me, first preference is definitely given to Seventh Day Adventist students. After that, Loma Linda really wants Christian students to apply. They do take non-Christians too, as long as you can articulate how you will match up with their mission.

There is a lifestyle agreement. You can get kicked out for it, but it would be unlikely if you aren't completely foolish with it. Non-Christians can get in, but I would think it is fair to say your at somewhat of a disadvantage seeing as the college is mission focused.

I am Adventist, I do not go here, but I have heard through alumni and Pastors that they are all about mission work extending Christs ministry. If that sounds like something that appeals to you, and your scores are competitive, I would apply. They do take something like 25% non-adventist (and they will reject Adventist who have poor scores I know a guy who had a 29 and a 3.1, and they didn't interview him even, so its not the wall of China there for those outside of SDA). Just remember when you go to an Adventist school, things will be a little different, there will be prayer in the classroom, there will be required worships, so if those are things that will annoy you, something to consider.

I'm not a Loma Linda student, but I do know a quite a few faculty and students at the med school. From what they've told me, first preference is definitely given to Seventh Day Adventist students. After that, Loma Linda really wants Christian students to apply. They do take non-Christians too, as long as you can articulate how you will match up with their mission.
First preference is definitely given to SDA. There is no state preference from my understanding though.

Last edited:
How important is it to get a letter from your core group leader/pastor?

How important is it to get a letter from your core group leader/pastor?
I cannot speak to the pastor letter specifically, but it seems as if they want at least what they asked for when I called. However, if you don't attend church I would call them and tell. I think they will prob be reasonable, but your gonna have to talk up your fit a lot more

Is anyone else only seeing one MCAT score in their portal (As opposed to all your tests if you took it more than once)?

a little late to the party but applying OS! good luck everyone

Early Decision secondary submitted this morning. Praying for the best

Reactions: 2 users
Reapplying here after being waitlisted last cycle.

When the time comes, I can answer some questions about the interview day if anyone has any. :) Otherwise, definitely make sure to check out some of the previous years' threads as we get further along; they are very helpful.

Reactions: 2 users

When the time comes, I can answer some questions about the interview day if anyone has any. :) Otherwise, definitely make sure to check out some of the previous years' threads as we get further along; they are very helpful.

Good luck! Applying here and I'm really hoping I get in... Thanks for the advice!

Would you mind sharing stats and if you are SDA or another religion?

Good luck! Applying here and I'm really hoping I get in... Thanks for the advice!
Thanks, and you're welcome!
Would you mind sharing stats and if you are SDA or another religion?
Sure.

3.8 cGPA/sGPA, 32 MCAT, non-SDA Christian. IS as well, though it doesn't seem to really matter since Loma Linda's close to 50-50 for IS/OOS (tilted in favor of OOS recently actually).

Edit: Just checked the updated numbers: 39.2% IS last cycle. Wow!

Last edited:

Sure.

3.8 cGPA/sGPA, 32 MCAT, non-SDA Christian. IS as well, though it doesn't seem to really matter since Loma Linda's close to 50-50 for IS/OOS (tilted in favor of OOS recently actually).
Nice stats, mine are similar, just a little lower. Hoping for the best.

Sure.

Edit: Just checked the updated numbers: 39.2% IS last cycle. Wow!

Submitted my secondary yesterday. This is my top choice school. Stec, when did they start sending out interview invites last year? Also, how long was it between your interview and when you were wait listed?

Submitted my secondary yesterday. This is my top choice school. Stec, when did they start sending out interview invites last year? Also, how long was it between your interview and when you were wait listed?
Looks like last year they did most of the SDA interviews before the new year, and the non-SDA towards the end of the year/new year

As @Inygma mentioned, SDA applicants can expect to have their interviews earlier in the cycle. Last cycle, the earliest reported non-SDA interview invitations were sent out in mid- to late-October for interview dates in December: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...plication-thread.1003620/page-3#post-14530124
It was the same for the previous year as well.

They don't put people on the waitlist until April after the last interviews and I didn't interview until February, so 2 months.

As @Inygma mentioned, SDA applicants can expect to have their interviews earlier in the cycle. Last cycle, the earliest reported non-SDA interview invitations were sent out in mid- to late-October for interview dates in December: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...plication-thread.1003620/page-3#post-14530124
It was the same for the previous year as well.

They don't put people on the waitlist until April after the last interviews and I didn't interview until February, so 2 months.

When did you have your secondary done last year and when did you receive an interview invite, if you don't mind me asking. My stats are fairly close to yours, so I am trying to gauge my chances of getting in. I am also non-SDA Christian.

I was complete in late August because I was waiting for a committee letter, but I'm not sure how much your completion date affects your potential interview date. The first two people who posted their interview invitations in October mentioned that they were complete in August and September, although it is possible that they may have had very competitive applications; I'm not sure.

I received my interview invitation in January.

Was wondering how late I am in the process if I'm still awaiting to submit my application to AMCAS? I'm waiting for two rec letters to be received as well, I don't want to submit the application if this one science professor forgot to write me the letter (i've emailed her and no reply twice now).

Also, my stats are on the lower end of applicants OOS and a non-SDA christian (3.5 cGPA 3.2sGPA, first MCAT 25, retaking in september). I have about 100+ hours of volunteer work at an outpatient pharmacy in a hospital (and growing), 50+ hours of volunteer work at my parish, 8 hours of volunteer work for Alliance of the Great Lakes, and 5 hours of shadowing an ophthalmologist (the dr. really liked me and seems to be offering me a technician job this week).

On the whole what do some of you think about my application at face value?
Are you SDA? Numbers are a bit low... OOS doesn't matter. If you aren't SDA my guess is your chances are low, if you are SDA, I have no idea.

Submitted a while ago: Non-SDA Christian, Canadian applicant, 3.95/32 ----- any chances? No LOR from a pastor though (it's not required, just recommended right?)

Submitted a while ago: Non-SDA Christian, Canadian applicant, 3.95/32 ----- any chances? No LOR from a pastor though (it's not required, just recommended right?)

I am not sure how heavily they weigh a clergy letter. I am non-SDA Christian and I got a letter from a pastor, although he is not the pastor of my church (he is the pastor of a church I did medical missions with). It can't hurt to have that letter though. They likely look at the whole package (i.e. activities, volunteering, ...)

Was wondering how late I am in the process if I'm still awaiting to submit my application to AMCAS? I'm waiting for two rec letters to be received as well, I don't want to submit the application if this one science professor forgot to write me the letter (i've emailed her and no reply twice now).

Also, my stats are on the lower end of applicants OOS and a non-SDA christian (3.5 cGPA 3.2sGPA, first MCAT 25, retaking in september). I have about 100+ hours of volunteer work at an outpatient pharmacy in a hospital (and growing), 50+ hours of volunteer work at my parish, 8 hours of volunteer work for Alliance of the Great Lakes, and 5 hours of shadowing an ophthalmologist (the dr. really liked me and seems to be offering me a technician job this week).

On the whole what do some of you think about my application at face value?

Are you doing practice tests for the MCAT re-take, and if so, what are your averages. Your MCAT is a bit low, so hopefully your re-take score is much higher (around 30 would be ideal for Loma Linda with 10's on each section). Also, do you have medical mission work or work serving under-served people? LLU is a heavily missions-minded school. Their mission, after all, is "To further the teaching and healing ministry of Jesus Christ 'To make man whole'''

So I have attended Loma Linda's Open Houses from 2012 to 2014, so I have seen a lot of what LLU is like. They said that a lot of the people they send secondaries to don't send them back because that is when they find out about what the school is really like. They are heavily missions-minded; they have medical missions during the summer and winter breaks for students to go on. They have huge missions globe dedicated to alumni who went on medical missions. They also have outreach programs to the community that their students participate in. Hopefully if you applying here, you have some of those experiences. Feel free to ask me any other questions you have. I absolutely love this school. :soexcited:

So I have attended Loma Linda's Open Houses from 2012 to 2014, so I have seen a lot of what LLU is like. They said that a lot of the people they send secondaries to don't send them back because that is when they find out about what the school is really like. They are heavily missions-minded; they have medical missions during the summer and winter breaks for students to go on. They have huge missions globe dedicated to alumni who went on medical missions. They also have outreach programs to the community that their students participate in. Hopefully if you applying here, you have some of those experiences. Feel free to ask me any other questions you have. I absolutely love this school. :soexcited:
Thats awesome that the school does all this.

My cousin did his residency here and loved it. Hope I get a chance to interview

Are you doing practice tests for the MCAT re-take, and if so, what are your averages. Your MCAT is a bit low, so hopefully your re-take score is much higher (around 30 would be ideal for Loma Linda with 10's on each section). Also, do you have medical mission work or work serving under-served people? LLU is a heavily missions-minded school. Their mission, after all, is "To further the teaching and healing ministry of Jesus Christ 'To make man whole'''

The last three practice test I took before the actual MCAT i averaged a 29. Of all the practice tests I've taken my high was a 33, not sure what happened on the real thing. I don't have any medicial mission work or work serving under-served people unfortunately

Has anyone sent an e-mail to the admissions for the fee waiver? How long did it take for them to respond? It's been a week since I sent the e-mail but no one has responded yet..I really want to submit this secondary ASAP :meh:

Currently working on the what qualities make you desirable essay, what approach did you guys take with this? I'm trying to tie in my qualities/passions to my experiences and how they have made me have those qualities.

Seem like a good approach?