2014-2015 Medical School Application Cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ha nice. I'd love to be a CA resident..except when it comes to med school apps :p jk. I wish us all luck. Have you been verified yet?
Not verified yet. I don't mind being a CA resident because if I do get in, we have some great schools here: and IS tuition for a CA school would be nice. I submitted late, June 28th, so I'm guessing I'll be verified late July/early august.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
How late am I if I submit my application the week of July 7th? I took the MCAT June 13th, so I am still waiting for my scores. I am worried about it since I would not call myself a strong candidate. Should I be worried right now about being late? I have all my LORs and application is filled out.. just need to review and edit hardcore.

I think you will be okay. Just make sure to pre-write secondaries if possible and submit things as quickly as you can.

Hello,
How late am I if I submit my application the week of July 7th? I took the MCAT June 13th, so I am still waiting for my scores. I am worried about it since I would not call myself a strong candidate. Should I be worried right now about being late? I have all my LORs and application is filled out.. just need to review and edit hardcore.

Your def not late. Just not super early. Expect to be verified mid to late August...and have those secondaries ready!

And in the case of secondaries, anyone submitting before the primary is verified? I've received 3 so far and I was wondering if it made any sense to do so...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your def not late. Just not super early. Expect to be verified mid to late August...and have those secondaries ready!

And in the case of secondaries, anyone submitting before the primary is verified? I've received 3 so far and I was wondering if it made any sense to do so...

I'm not yet verified and I'll be submitting one secondary today. I added some more schools so I'm applying to close to 40 now...almost done pre-writing all of them :)

I'm not yet verified and I'll be submitting one secondary today. I added some more schools so I'm applying to close to 40 now...almost done pre-writing all of them :)

you said how many?

I'm applying to schools I should not be applying to, but I don't care really. I'm done with the secondaries for the most part so I'm only losing money I guess....which I don't think is the end of the world.

what's up to all!! Officially checking in for this cycle! plan on submitting my apps next week, just took the mcat July 2nd, waiting on scores. praying our acceptance thread this year looks half like last cycles thread. they KILLED it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I was on vacation so I hadn't gotten the chance to check in lol I submitted my primary on 6/18 and hope to be verified sometime before August (when I checked today they were on apps submitted on 6/16)

I only applied to 9 MD schools cuz I'm not a very strong applicant, so I very carefully chose those 9 schools with my advisor and later I'll be applying to DO schools as well. This is my second cycle so I'm hoping for any chance lol I may add some more schools if I see fit to do so.

I received a secondary already, so I guess you can get secondaries before you're even verified...?

Anyway, I'm wishing everybody lots of luck!

Edit: 10 MD schools lol

Last edited:
Yep. Columbia for example sends secondaries before you are verified.

Members don't see this ad :)
What up yall?

Just wanted to say that I'm proud of all of you for getting to this milestone of applying! That's a big deal in itself.

I am around on here to answer any questions or offer any advice that may be needed.

Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you when you come through my school for your interviews! I'm down to help w housing for any URM there.

Good luck everybody - you're gonna do great.

Chem

Reactions: 6 users
What up yall?

Just wanted to say that I'm proud of all of you for getting to this milestone of applying! That's a big deal in itself.

I am around on here to answer any questions or offer any advice that may be needed.

Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you when you come through my school for your interviews! I'm down to help w housing for any URM there.

Good luck everybody - you're gonna do great.

Chem

Thank you! Just noticed the words under your username say, "turn down for what?" in Spanish lmao

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,

I hope we can get though this together, please update the thread as you hear from schools, receive, and complete secondaries, we might be applying to the same schools.
Hope we get more love than the old folks :):):):):)

Any advice for the benefits of retaking MCAT in September vs applying now? 25 MCAT, cGPA 3.4, masters degree in genetics

Are you applying DO mainly? If you are applying MD I would almost for sure retake, although September is very late already so I would personally postpone the application.

applying MD.

25 MCAT and a 3.4 undergrad GPA is going to be on the lower end of getting an acceptance. If I were you I would retake to get a higher score. Otherwise you are limiting yourself as to where you can apply. A 25 is going to be below the 10% at almost every single MD school. Just a few points and I think your chances of an MD acceptance would shoot up.

Just to echo @ChemEngMD, feel free to reach out to me via PM if you have any questions. I'm not on the forums too much, but I can get back to people as soon as I can.

Any advice for the benefits of retaking MCAT in September vs applying now? 25 MCAT, cGPA 3.4, masters degree in genetics

You may have a chance at your state schools with your MCAT depending on your state of residency. Retaking in Sept would mean no new score until Oct. By then most schools have handed out a good amount of their interview slots already so keep that in mind. Of course, retaking and achieving a higher score would vastly increase your chances of an acceptance in the general sense.

Reactions: 1 users
Received one secondary from Marshall U; VA Tech and VComm sent me emails saying they got my primary app but they prescreen so I have to wait to see if they'll give me a chance at doing the secondaries (I hope they do!) :)

Received secondary from GW though I'm not yet verified by Aamcas :):):) , oh well working on it and submitting it hopefully by this weekend., very hard to do all this with a full time job...

Received secondary from GW though I'm not yet verified by Aamcas :):):) , oh well working on it and submitting it hopefully by this weekend., very hard to do all this with a full time job...
Same here. I've been trying to work on my GW secondary at my job lol.

Received one secondary from Marshall U; VA Tech and VComm sent me emails saying they got my primary app but they prescreen so I have to wait to see if they'll give me a chance at doing the secondaries (I hope they do!) :)
Are you from West Virginia? Isn't Marshall only admitting in state applicants?

Are you from West Virginia? Isn't Marshall only admitting in state applicants?

They have spots for ppl who are from bordering states (MD, VA, Penn, etc) and anyone with ties to the state. It's actually one of the schools I have a better shot at according to my advisor (she's one of the good advisors who knows what she's talking about so I trust her).

Edit: You won't get a secondary from them if you're out of state (or not from one of the bordering states) and have an MCAT < 24. That's what it says in the email I got with the secondary app.

Last edited:
Got a secondary from VComm today, which is good cuz it means I'm not getting screened out lol :)

Is anyone from the Midwest region? Which schools are you applying to? My list has too many OOS public schools as opposed to private schools, so any advice is good!

Is anyone from the Midwest region? Which schools are you applying to? My list has too many OOS public schools as opposed to private schools, so any advice is good!

Ohio State is public but they don't have an IS bias like most other public/state schools and they're friendly to URM applicants. I called them because I'm below their MCAT range and the lady I spoke with was encouraging.

I'm not from the midwest so I'm not sure all the states that constitutes, but look in-depth at each school's info because they may show preference to you if you're from a bordering state vs. being totally OOS (like East or West coast). This may actually increase your chances.

There's also a good number of DO schools that show preference to midwestern state students (If you don't mind the initials after your name lol)

Turned in my secondaries for Marshall and VComm on Monday.

Received secondaries from Ohio State, U of Missouri-Kansas City, U of Maryland, and West Virginia U. That's 6/10 schools that I've gotten secondaries for and most pre-screen which gives me hope :)

How is everyone else doing?? Hoping you guys are swamped in secondaries too:p

Received secondaries from Ohio State, U of Missouri-Kansas City, U of Maryland, and West Virginia U. That's 6/10 schools that I've gotten secondaries for and most pre-screen which gives me hope :)

Nice! I'm hanging in there, knocking out secondaries. Hoping for some interviews soon for all of us:xf:We have done a lot to get to this point let's not slack off now! Good luck guys:)

Wow i am surprised about people already receiving secondaries before being verified! I expected med schools to see you applied and stuff after they received the primary. My primary was ready to be reviewed early July, and i only applied to two schools while waiting for my MCAT score. Now that i have received it, i am finalizing my school list and hoping to submit it sometime this week and get cracking on those secondaries!

----------------

Hi!!

I applied to the U of Missiouri-KC too. I sent in the general application...I havent received a secondary though. How long did it take for you to receive the secondary after submitting the online application?

Thanks!

Working on secondary from Tufts, I can't help to check my email every hour even though I do get notified on my phone lool anyone else doing this ? :):)

Wow i am surprised about people already receiving secondaries before being verified! I expected med schools to see you applied and stuff after they received the primary. My primary was ready to be reviewed early July, and i only applied to two schools while waiting for my MCAT score. Now that i have received it, i am finalizing my school list and hoping to submit it sometime this week and get cracking on those secondaries!

Awesome! I'm guessing you did well then :) good luck to you!

----------------

Hi!!

I applied to the U of Missiouri-KC too. I sent in the general application...I havent received a secondary though. How long did it take for you to receive the secondary after submitting the online application?

Thanks!

I was verified on the 7/8, I didn't get it until yesterday so it took them one week. When were you verified? Don't get scared because sometimes they get bogged down with applications so it just may take them awhile to send you the email.

Working on secondary from Tufts, I can't help to check my email every hour even though I do get notified on my phone lool anyone else doing this ? :):)

I'm trying not to be compulsive about it lol but yea I check it like 3-4 times a day lol *swear I'm not crazy*

Nice! I'm hanging in there, knocking out secondaries. Hoping for some interviews soon for all of us:xf:We have done a lot to get to this point let's not slack off now! Good luck guys:)

I didn't think I was going to get any secondaries from the schools that pre-screen so I'm pretty happy. If I get more than one interview, I'll be super ecstatic! lol good luck to you too :xf:

literally just found out my pre-med committee won't be sending out my letter until mid-September, putting me at a huge disadvantage.

how does it work? I can obviously have my primary verified and do secondaries, but do schools only consider you "complete" and send you an interview invite if your letter is in?

pretty pissed that I spend thousands in tuition for my school to continuously screw me, but I guess I have no choice lol.

literally just found out my pre-med committee won't be sending out my letter until mid-September, putting me at a huge disadvantage.

how does it work? I can obviously have my primary verified and do secondaries, but do schools only consider you "complete" and send you an interview invite if your letter is in?

pretty pissed that I spend thousands in tuition for my school to continuously screw me, but I guess I have no choice lol.

Sorry to hear that. The first time I tried to apply the original pre-med advisor went on sebatical and the replacement was not great so I got screwed there as well smh.

I would check the schools' websites or call them and see what they say. You may just be able to get an interview invite without the letter, they just won't decide whether to give you an acceptance or not until they get your letters. I think most times they do like to have them before they give you the interview, but maybe you'll get lucky.

I'm also having letter of rec issues. One of my science professors has not submitted his letter yet even though I told him the 15th was the deadline. He's not responding to my emails and I don't have a backup writer. I'm starting to feel really screwed over this cycle.

I'm also having letter of rec issues. One of my science professors has not submitted his letter yet even though I told him the 15th was the deadline. He's not responding to my emails and I don't have a backup writer. I'm starting to feel really screwed over this cycle.

How many letters do you have?

I have 4 letters so far but only one of them is a science professor
Oh gotcha...you don't have anybody who might be able to write one for you, even if it's on short notice? If your other letters are great, I can't see why an ok one just to fulfill the requirements would hurt. Maybe you can try that.

Oh gotcha...you don't have anybody who might be able to write one for you, even if it's on short notice? If your other letters are great, I can't see why an ok one just to fulfill the requirements would hurt. Maybe you can try that.

I guess I can do that. I just didn't want to jeopardize my app by getting someone who would just say, so and so got an A in my class.

Wow we are on the same boat, I haven't interviewed for my committed letter yet and the earliest spot they have available is early august, so my committee letter won't be in until late august beginning September. I think being complete depends on the school, you can check each school's website, I'm sure I won't be complete at Tufts until all my letters are in huuuuh.

Wow we are on the same boat, I haven't interviewed for my committed letter yet and the earliest spot they have available is early august, so my committee letter won't be in until late august beginning September. I think being complete depends on the school, you can check each school's website, I'm sure I won't be complete at Tufts until all my letters are in huuuuh.

I feel your pain. it sucks really bad!

makes me pray the whole "be complete in April even though the app doesn't open until June or you're late" thing is overblown on here lol. though I'm sure ill sure be screwed instead haha

I guess I can do that. I just didn't want to jeopardize my app by getting someone who would just say, so and so got an A in my class.
If your other letters are good and the rest of your app is good, then I don't think one "ok" letter would jeopardize your app. Maybe you can talk to your pre-med advisor and see what they think you should do. But at this point I feel like you don't have much of a choice. That's why I ask for my letters super early. My advisor makes us have them ready by Early May so that the committee can write their letters by July. Anyway, best of luck to you!! :xf:

If your other letters are good and the rest of your app is good, then I don't think one "ok" letter would jeopardize your app. Maybe you can talk to your pre-med advisor and see what they think you should do. But at this point I feel like you don't have much of a choice. That's why I ask for my letters super early. My advisor makes us have them ready by Early May so that the committee can write their letters by July. Anyway, best of luck to you!! :xf:

He actually got the letter in today. I asked everyone for a letter in march so I don't think that was the problem. He said he thought he got confirmation from Interfolio but maybe there was a glitch and he had to resubmit. Anyhow, I'm relieved. Still not verified since I submitted June 28 but now I feel like I can be complete at most places by July 30th

He actually got the letter in today. I asked everyone for a letter in march so I don't think that was the problem. He said he thought he got confirmation from Interfolio but maybe there was a glitch and he had to resubmit. Anyhow, I'm relieved. Still not verified since I submitted June 28 but now I feel like I can be complete at most places by July 30th

Hey that's awesome!! I didn't know what your situation was exactly so I wasn't necessarily saying you didn't ask for the letters early, but I see ppl on this forum asking for letters in may and june and I'm like :eek:

Anyway, I'm really happy it worked out for you, no more stressing lol sorta... :clap:

Who else is feeling swamped with going through TONS of secondaries!? I should have pre-written haha!