2014-2015 Medical School Application Cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How are you guys preparing for interviews? I'm back home from school and don't have many people I could practice interviewing with.

Members don't see this ad.

I only practiced with someone once..for the most part I think practicing in the mirror is good..so you can take note of anything weird you're doing...like giving them crazy eyes lol

How are you guys preparing for interviews? I'm back home from school and don't have many people I could practice interviewing with.

Didn't really prep per say. I've done 6 and felt they went well. I'm a very social person and have done a lot of public speaking so I feel like that helped. Each interview helped me for the next. I did go over some basic questions and know some reasons why you would want to attend a particular school: I've done both MMI and traditional.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't really prep per say. I've done 6 and felt they went well. I'm a very social person and have done a lot of public speaking so I feel like that helped. Each interview helped me for the next. I did go over some basic questions and know some reasons why you would want to attend a particular school: I've done both MMI and traditional.
How was your MMI?

How was your MMI?

Both went well. You go through a bunch of stations and each will have a prompt for you to address and discuss. Usually 2min to prep and 8min to discuss. It's like having a conversation on an assigned topic. I really enjoyed them.

? are you worried about the number of URM's? Unless someone flat out tells you or is clearly dark skinned i'm not sure you're going to be able to assess who is an URM.

actually, yes. Student diversity is one of the factors that influences my decision for where to apply and matriculate. I'm not aiming to go to a school where I am the sole representative of my ethnic background, regardless of rankings/prestige. And I'm not asking for a detailed analysis of who is or isn't URM, just an idea of which schools seem to be inviting underrepresented groups to interview in decent numbers.

actually, yes. Student diversity is one of the factors that influences my decision for where to apply and matriculate. I'm not aiming to go to a school where I am the sole representative of my ethnic background, regardless of rankings/prestige. And I'm not asking for a detailed analysis of who is or isn't URM, just an idea of which schools seem to be inviting underrepresented groups to interview in decent numbers.

How many interview does not matter if they don't matriculate. You can use the msar to see what the demographics of the most recent class are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good point. Was just trying to start a discussion.

Good point. Was just trying to start a discussion.

No worries. I've seen a mix. Some schools very diverse and others not so much. Keep in mind that you only see a snapshot of the applicant pool and there are not many urms to begin with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been on two interviews so far with about 15-20 students each time and only 1 African American out of those two (meaning 1/~40max) but who knows what anyone else was. However, as overachiever stated MSAR can show you how many they usually accept (2 years worth) of the ethnic group you are interested in. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it though. You are what you are...they are what they are...and that's that. Everyone is qualified and hopefully a decent human being and thus perfect friend potential. I'd caution you not to have the mindset you can only be happy if you are around ethnically similar people. It's a recipe for disappointment and close minded. Embrace both your unique and similar qualities. It really shouldn't matter what anyone else is if you are confident with who you are. :=|:-):

Pritzker ;) we have 21% URM this year :D

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure of total URMs, but I was the only African-American out of 16 people at my last interview. I don't think that's too uncommon from what I've read about on here.

Reactions: 2 users
Got my first acceptance this weekend at a top DO school...it's such a relief to have something! God is GOOD! I feel like a walking testimony lol

Reactions: 5 users
Not sure of total URMs, but I was the only African-American out of 16 people at my last interview. I don't think that's too uncommon from what I've read about on here.

I've had three interviews so far. I've always been the only Black person, but not the only person of color. Whether these persons of color are also "URM" or not is another story.

It makes me wonder if there are days where it's an all White/Asian cohort of applicants-- and if so how do people feel when the come across the odd (wo)man out who happens to be in their interview group and black?

Reactions: 3 users
I've had three interviews so far. I've always been the only Black person, but not the only person of color. Whether these persons of color are also "URM" or not is another story.

It makes me wonder if there are days where it's an all White/Asian cohort of applicants-- and if so how do people feel when the come across the odd (wo)man out who happens to be in their interview group and black?

Also makes you wonder whether seeing this in person will make other people reconsider their vitriol toward the faceless "URM who is stealing their spot in med school." Six interviews down and I have yet to meet another Native student.

I've been the only person of color at most of my interviews. 7 so far. All at top 30 schools.

only one?! crazy to hear that. "but URMs are stealing my seat!"... anyone who complains about that, keep dreaming.

I've been the only person of color at most of my interviews. 7 so far. All at top 30 schools.

Note: when I used person of color I meant non-white-- so Asians are included. If you're interviewing as the only person of color at top 30 schools, then that's astonishing!

I don't believe that I applied at top 20-30 schools but I'll have to double check. I know I have schools in the 31-39 range though.

Hey just wanted to update you guys on my application status
MCAT = 32 (12,6,14) I hope being ESL will help me with verbal :(
3.7gpa , 3.65cgpa (upward trend: 3.1 my freshman year, 3.9 sophomore and junior year)
African American at georgetown applying disadvantage because I came from the worse school district in the US. I talk about how I was unprepared for college in my PS and describe I overcame my deficiencies in reading, math, and sciences.

Decided to go all in and apply to top tier schools since they won't hold me at a disadvantage for applying late and because they will give me the most $$ if I get in. I've also heard they are more holistic when choosing applicants. I plan on reapplying if I don't get in and won't have a problem with that (except losing a lot of money) because I am applying as a senior right now.
School list
Yale (submitting secondary ASAP)
Columbia (submitting secondary ASAP)
John Hopkins (submitting secondary ASAP)
Upenn (submitting secondary ASAP)
Vanderbilt (waiting for secondary )
UCSF (waiting for secondary)
Harvard (submitted secondary 9/29)
WashU st. Louis (submitted secondary 9/29)
Case Western (submitted secondary 9/29, invited interview 10/7)
Boston University (submitted secondary 9/29)
Mount Sinai (submitted secondary 9/29)
Dartmouth (submitted secondary 9/29)

Last edited:
3.7gpa , 3.65cgpa (upward trend: 3.1 my freshman year, 3.9 sophomore and junior year)
African American at georgetown applying disadvantage because I came from the worse school district in the US. I talk about how I was unprepared for college in my PS and describe I overcame my deficiencies in reading, math, and sciences.

Decided to go all in and apply to top tier schools since they won't hold me at a disadvantage for applying late and because they will give me the most $$ if I get in. I've also heard they are more holistic when choosing applicants. I plan on reapplying if I don't get in and won't have a problem with that (except losing a lot of money) because I am applying as a senior right now.
School list

I urge you to add some low tiers and HBCUs to your list.lol. Not saying you don't have a shot with top tiers, but you have an even better one with less prestigious/competitive schools. Non top 20 schools give full rides also.

Note: when I used person of color I meant non-white-- so Asians are included. If you're interviewing as the only person of color at top 30 schools, then that's astonishing!

I don't believe that I applied at top 20-30 schools but I'll have to double check. I know I have schools in the 31-39 range though.

I meant I was the only URM...everyone else was asian or white.

only one?! crazy to hear that. "but URMs are stealing my seat!"... anyone who complains about that, keep dreaming.

I don't think people really believe that. They just like to think that URMs are getting accepted with lower numerical stats and that if they had been URM, all things being equal(which they never are), they too would gain acceptance.

I urge you to add some low tiers and HBCUs to your list.lol. Not saying you don't have a shot with top tiers, but you have an even better one with less prestigious/competitive schools. Non top 20 schools give full rides also.

What schools do you know of that give full rides?

Just curious

I concur, add some lower tier schools. Shoot one of the adcoms on here like Goro, or Gyngyn a private message letting them know your state, your ECs, MCAT, GPA and they'll be able to suggest some schools to apply to. My current school list was made with suggestions from people like them.

School list

What schools do you know of that give full rides?

Just curious

Well I guess I should say full "tuition scholarships". Know a guy at Morehouse with all tuition and fees paid and a girl at Howard with the same thing. And from the Morehouse interview, I can say that they give need based scholarships that can cover a substantial amount of tuition as well as provide outside scholarships, such as coca-cola, that give up to $40,000 a year for all 4 years. Need-based tuition scholly + $40,000yr = Darn Near Full Ride. I'm not sure of the availability of each scholarships nor the chances of getting both, but the fact that there is a chance is reason enough to apply.

Last edited:
Well I guess I should say full "tuition scholarships". Know a guy at Morehouse with all tuition and fees paid and a girl at Howard with the same thing. And from the Morehouse interview, I can say that they give need based scholarships that can cover a substantial amount of tuition as well as provide outside scholarships, such as coca-cola, that give up to $40,000 a year for all 4 years. Need-based tuition scholly + $40,000yr = Darn Near Full Ride. I'm not sure of the availability of each scholarships nor the chances of getting both, but the fact that there is a chance is reason enough to apply.

Didn't apply to any of those. Didn't really think they were the best fit for me. Oh well...

I hope there are some top schools that give full rides too. A lot of the schools I interviewed at give generous need based scholarships that I would def qualify for.

I love to come on this page to see how many of you guys are getting interviews and acceptances!!! I apply next year, and you guys are making me feel very confident and excited about my application process! Keep up the good work guys!

Reactions: 2 users
yup, tears of joy currently. II at Rochester!!!

Reactions: 10 users
Awesome! Coincidentally I'm headed up there right now for an interview tomorrow

haha that's awesome! you gotta let me know how it goes! unfortunately the earliest open dates for me weren't until January so I gotta wait until then

best day of my life. II at Albany!!

Reactions: 7 users

I interviewed there earlier. After you interview would you mind PMing me about the interview experience you had? I'd like compare the experience with another URM applicant.

Also, there's a 2nd year student there from down south that's African-American that I bumped into who was really helpful with my questions about diversity and fitting in.

I interviewed there earlier. After you interview would you mind PMing me about the interview experience you had? I'd like compare the experience with another URM applicant.

Also, there's a 2nd year student there from down south that's African-American that I bumped into who was really helpful with my questions about diversity and fitting in.
Most def. How many people were interviewing with you as well? And where you also the only AA interviewing?

Most def. How many people were interviewing with you as well? And where you also the only AA interviewing?

My group size was probably 10 can't recall but know it was smaller than my group at TCMC which was about 16. Yes, I was the only black person. There was another URM with me at TCMC thought which was nice.

Their interview day is very unstructured with interviews done randomly throughout the day. You'll be encouraged to explore the UG campus (weather permitting) and to sit in on lectures.

haha thanks! couldn't have done it without the support from you guys allowing me to get this far without going crazy lol

Congrats again! Seems like you were complete at some schools later than I was, so your IIs may start trickling in now. I applied to AMC in late August /early Sept and just heard back today.

Is anyone else in here feeling anxious? Like "OMG I might be a doctor some day." lol

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats again! Seems like you were complete at some schools later than I was, so your IIs may start trickling in now. I applied to AMC in late Sept/early August and just heard back today.

it's all just so surreal honestly. I came into this expecting to be lucky to even get a DO interview. to have 3 MD ones this early is a dream come true. one acceptance is all I need.

Is anyone else in here feeling anxious? Like "OMG I might be a doctor some day." lol

LOL literally said to my mom earlier "omg. I could actually maybe be a doctor one day". so so so awesome to think about

Every single day. I'm hoping I can just get that acceptance to make it official.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi first time poster. Congrats to everyone for doing so well.

I have IIs to TCMC and IUSM. Hoping from some NYS love soon.

I saw a few of you guys post on the Which schools are URM friendly thread. A little scary some of our future classmates will think that we are not qualified to part of their class. With that said, lets hope this week brings us some well deserved IIs!

I saw a few of you guys post on the Which schools are URM friendly thread. A little scary some of our future classmates will think that we are not qualified to part of their class. With that said, lets hope this week brings us some well deserved IIs!

it's sad, but can't let the uninformed opinions of others affect what we're all trying to accomplish here.

also, @godawg300 was laying the smackdown in that thread haha, preaching 100% truths. well done my friend

also, can anyone share what we need to really bring with us to an interview? I feel like the answer is nothing, but just want to double check.