2014-2015 Medical School Application Cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
also, can anyone share what we need to really bring with us to an interview? I feel like the answer is nothing, but just want to double check.
photo ID just in case, other than that nothing

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
it's sad, but can't let the uninformed opinions of others affect what we're all trying to accomplish here.

also, @godawg300 was laying the smackdown in that thread haha, preaching 100% truths. well done my friend

Haters gonna hate. I just can't stand when people turn threads into URMs don't deserve their spot in medical school. I'm disgusted that I might have classmates that will just look at me and assume I got in because of my race or that I automatically had low stats.

All we can do is become the best doctors possible.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
New to this thread!! Hello everyone!

I will run this race... And prepare myself for life ahead. ☺️

Hey everyone! Nice to see everyone's application cycles are going well. I have a question, and I hope noone takes offense to it. My advisor (who also works for some big med school application service) told me that medical schools typically invite minorities to interviews earlier in the cycle - between September and December, and that if I haven't heard by now, then I most likely won't be interviewing at that school. I was complete at schools in latte August-Mid September. There are about 20+ schools that I'm waiting to hear from, and I'm nervous now that she's said that. Have any of you heard from most of your schools? Any of you waiting on a lot of schools? Any reason for me to be panicking right now?

Hey everyone! Nice to see everyone's application cycles are going well. I have a question, and I hope noone takes offense to it. My advisor (who also works for some big med school application service) told me that medical schools typically invite minorities to interviews earlier in the cycle - between September and December, and that if I haven't heard by now, then I most likely won't be interviewing at that school. I was complete at schools in latte August-Mid September. There are about 20+ schools that I'm waiting to hear from, and I'm nervous now that she's said that. Have any of you heard from most of your schools? Any of you waiting on a lot of schools? Any reason for me to be panicking right now?
um.. i don't know about the time frame for minority interviews - I've never heard of such thing but I have heard that most interviews go out around sept-dec, in general. Regardless of the type of applicant, having an interview around this time increases yur chances greatly cuz there are more seats. (so I've heard)

i was complete in late august-mid september, also. One school, I was complete 2 weeks ago. but truthfully, i also think it depends on the speed of the school that you applied to.
ex) I've heard from the school i was complete at 2 weeks ago that was a reach for me(still complete shock i received an II), but i haven't heard from schools that I was complete at around 8/20ish where my stats are in the range of their average matriculant. so it truthfully depends....

I've heard from a few of my schools, but in all honesty there's no specific time frame that all minority students are invited for an interview, I literally received a II last week. Just be patient, which I know is difficult, and remember that silence rather than a fast rejection CAN be a good thing.

Really never heard such a thing. Definitely different for everyone but it took me about 2 months to hear from most of my schools. So hopefully you'll start hearing in November? But don't panic. You threw your app in around the time of the majority so it may take longer and there are more applicants this year. It really is a crap shoot though. I've heard from schools i thought would never give me a chance and rejected from or haven't heard from my safety/in range schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Got my first acceptance on Friday. Hype! I'm finally on the path to becoming a physician.
This app process is still so weird to me...at some point you're already receiving acceptances..and at other points you haven't even received an II from a school yet because they are nonrolling.
In my next interview I'll have the most smug look on my face lol jk. But still hype!

Reactions: 9 users
Got my first acceptance on Friday. Hype! I'm finally on the path to becoming a physician.
This app process is still so weird to me...at some point you're already receiving acceptances..and at other points you haven't even received an II from a school yet because they are nonrolling.
In my next interview I'll have the most smug look on my face lol jk. But still hype!
Congratulations buddy!!

For those who haven't heard from schools after their interviews, how are you dealing with the wait? What do you do to destress etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who haven't heard from schools after their interviews, how are you dealing with the wait? What do you do to destress etc.?
I'm not, haha! It's just constant panic and neuroticism and minutes and days happen to pass by!

I'm not, haha! It's just constant panic and neuroticism and minutes and days happen to pass by!

lol agreed. working 40-50 hours helps, but any moment I'm not extremely busy is spent refreshing email and praying for that first acceptance. such a grueling process

lol agreed. working 40-50 hours helps, but any moment I'm not extremely busy is spent refreshing email and praying for that first acceptance. such a grueling process

Yeah I feel I'm obsessed with the inbox right now!!! Haha I have to figure something else to do!

It's the beginning of November and I have only one interview invitation so far (University of VA). Should I be getting worried?

Stats: 4.0, 35
Pretty good ec's (I think)... physician shadowing, mission work, summer research internship, research at my university, very involved in music (classical piano)

I applied to

University of Virginia
Duke
University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
Vanderbilt
Harvard
Yale

I think I may have applied to too many highly-ranked schools, although based on my gpa and mcat it did not seem unreasonable at the time.

Just wondering if I should be worried....
Thanks.

It's the beginning of November and I have only one interview invitation so far (University of VA). Should I be getting worried?

Pretty good ec's (I think)... physician shadowing, mission work, summer research internship, research at my university, very involved in music (classical piano)

I applied to

University of Virginia
Duke
Vanderbilt
Harvard
Yale

I think I may have applied to too many highly-ranked schools, although based on my gpa and mcat it did not seem unreasonable at the time.

Thanks.
You could've applied to more schools, I don't think you should be worried. Even though it is late in the cycle, I would add 5 mid tier schools because your numbers are really good and you'll definitely get consideration. Other than that just be patient! Very nice numbers :)

I applied to

University of Virginia
Duke
Vanderbilt
Harvard
Yale

Thanks.

Also, when were you complete?

I believe AMCAS was finished reviewing around first week of September. Completed secondaries around the first week of October.
Well you did apply somewhat late. Even with your good stats they are still people ahead of you waiting to be reviewed. I wouldn't worry just yet. I've been complete at some schools since mid-Aug and according to SDN posts they are still reviewing July apps!

@sydneycurlysue

You applied way late. I received interviews from some of those schools on your list and my stats are close to yours but your GPA is better. I would be patient. Remember it only takes one acceptance to be a doctor. That can come from one interview.

I believe AMCAS was finished reviewing around first week of September. Completed secondaries around the first week of October.
You are a little bit on the late side of turning in secondaries. Many schools are at overload with the amount of applications they've received this year. So you have been complete for barely 4 weeks, it is likely that your schools did not even get to your app yet. Many people who were complete with secondaries since July/August still had to wait 2+ months to receive interviews. You just have to be patient and probably have to wait realistically another month or two, just because of the craziness of this cycle. If you are worried, add 5 mid-tier schools just in case. I think you'll be okay, but you'll have to sweat a bit longer haha :)

Thanks everyone for your answers. I'll just keep waiting with my fingers crossed.

do u mind me asking your stats and some places yu applied? Im getting silence from schools that i expected to at least get an interview at.
I have a 3.4/30...applied literally all over, but to mostly mid to low tier schools...and some DO schools. I got my McAT score August 26th and so I wasn't completely until then or later. I'm assuming maybe I just ended up in a pile with a lot of people??

I have a 3.4/30...applied literally all over, but to mostly mid to low tier schools...and some DO schools. I got my McAT score August 26th and so I wasn't completely until then or later. I'm assuming maybe I just ended up in a pile with a lot of people??
hmmm ill pm you

Make sure all of you post in this years acceptance thread when you get in! We have to outshine last years haha :shifty::laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone!!! I just got accepted to my first medical school today!! I'm beyond blessed and overjoyed and I still can't believe it and still crying ahhhh:zip: Please don't ever give up, it is the greatest uphill battle but if it isn't easy, it isn't worth it! Keep at it everyone!! :)

Reactions: 8 users
Hey everyone!!! I just got accepted to my first medical school today!! I'm beyond blessed and overjoyed and I still can't believe it and still crying ahhhh:zip: Please don't ever give up, it is the greatest uphill battle but if it isn't easy, it isn't worth it! Keep at it everyone!! :)

Congrats!!!!!

incredible. so happy for you! you're one of the familiar ones I see throughout all these threads so I am extremely happy for you. the feeling must be amazing lol

incredible. so happy for you! you're one of the familiar ones I see throughout all these threads so I am extremely happy for you. the feeling must be amazing lol
Awwwhh! Thank you! You are literally a celebrity so it is definitely an honor! I still feel numb honestly! :)

Awwwhh! Thank you! You are literally a celebrity so it is definitely an honor! I still feel numb honestly! :)

haha dang I wouldn't go that far, but be sure to celebrate your accomplishment! congrats again!

Pretty much going crazy here, especially since I have to wait until mid-March (!), but I felt I really got along with the people I met on interview day (interviewers, faculty, etc).. just keep working on what I'm doing on my day to day and hope good news come from elsewhere in the meantime. March can't come soon enough, though

Congrats man!!! Where did you get accepted?

How's everyone doing?

Great so far. 4 acceptances and waiting for 16 other school decisions post-interview. Pretty much just coasting until March when I should have all decisions and financial aid information.

I have my last interview to complete at UCSF but otherwise I'm feeling great! I just need to figure out how I'm going to spend my last months before med school starts.

Great so far. 4 acceptances and waiting for 16 other school decisions post-interview. Pretty much just coasting until March when I should have all decisions and financial aid information.

I have my last interview to complete at UCSF but otherwise I'm feeling great! I just need to figure out how I'm going to spend my last months before med school starts.

Sounds awesome! Congrats on all your acceptances! I interviewed at UCSF it was truly amazing, and I wish you lots of luck!

How did you fit in so many interviews in so little time?

Sounds awesome! Congrats on all your acceptances! I interviewed at UCSF it was truly amazing, and I wish you lots of luck!

How did you fit in so many interviews in so little time?

Thanks! I did 2-4 every week and many back to back. Schools were very accommodating for my schedule. I had to put off UCSF but I'm really excited to visit the school. I love San Francisco.

Wow!!! Props to you, and here I am feeling fatigued with significantly less than you.

Props my friend, props!!!

^ my goodness to both of you lol. I'm on that no acceptance train like "20 interviews, 4 acceptances? -___-"

Wow!!! Props to you, and here I am feeling fatigued with significantly less than you.

Props my friend, props!!!

I did many interviews on little sleep and travel was harsh but it's over so no regrets.

^ my goodness to both of you lol. I'm on that no acceptance train like "20 interviews, 4 acceptances? -___-"

This game takes time. I admit I'm very lucky but have faith my friend. If you have interviews you have a chance!