2014-2015 Medical School Application Cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got accepted to my first program, MSTP at Northwestern! Super excited because it's definitely one of my top favorite schools. I was deferred at WashU MSTP til January though :( I really loved WashU when I visited. I guess it's better than a rejection, but I thought the fit was extremely great there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Got accepted to my first program, MSTP at Northwestern! Super excited because it's definitely one of my top favorite schools. I was deferred at WashU MSTP til January though :( I really loved WashU when I visited. I guess it's better than a rejection, but I thought the fit was extremely great there.
Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
@miamiheatfan and @godawg300 congratulations to both of you!!! :D I can only imagine how happy and relieved you must be! Do you guys mind sharing your stats and ECs?

Reactions: 1 user
@miamiheatfan and @godawg300 congratulations to both of you!!! :D I can only imagine how happy and relieved you must be! Do you guys mind sharing your stats and ECs?

I'll share my stats and EC in detail after the cycle. If I shared them now it would probably be a dead giveaway

In short I had a lot of unique clinical research with publications along with several years of clinical experience in 2 major areas of medicine. GPA for both science and non-science was above 3.7 and MCAT upon retake was mid 30s. I actually think my life story and how I got to medicine is more interesting than just listing a bunch of EC and grades. Far too many people emphasis those things and not the context that they fall within. Imo and from what I've heard at many interviews (the open file ones) my personal statement was great to read. I also felt that my interviewing skills improved after every interview and that I generally like talking to people so I'm sure that helped too. I'm also a slight non-trad and have worked in an interesting industry outside of medicine.

Thank you, @godawg. I get what you're saying and it makes perfect sense. I think writing my personal statement will be the hardest part of the application!!!

Thank you, @godawg. I get what you're saying and it makes perfect sense. I think writing my personal statement will be the hardest part of the application!!!

I spent a good time on mine. If you are applying next cycle you should have plenty of time.

@miamiheatfan I know that's an awkward question but...how do I do that?o_O Can't seem to find that option anywhere..I've never used it before lol

Hi guys I am applying in 2015 but I wanted to know a couple of things. Can I complete the AMCAS Application anytime, meaning filling out the information and just saving it until May? Or do I have to wait until the AMCAS application becomes available? The reasoning I am asking is so that I can get LOR request forms and official transcript forms, so that I do not have to rush LOR writers and schools. Also I wanted someone's opinion about LOR services such as Interfolio. What are there advantages if any? I will greatly appreciate your time and Thank You!

Hi guys I am applying in 2015 but I wanted to know a couple of things. Can I complete the AMCAS Application anytime, meaning filling out the information and just saving it until May? Or do I have to wait until the AMCAS application becomes available? The reasoning I am asking is so that I can get LOR request forms and official transcript forms, so that I do not have to rush LOR writers and schools. Also I wanted someone's opinion about LOR services such as Interfolio. What are there advantages if any? I will greatly appreciate your time and Thank You!
You have to wait until AMCAS opens (which is usually in May or June). The purpose of Interfolio is pretty much what you said; it allows you to collect letters at anytime, so you wouldn't have to rush anyone. In addition, the AMCAS letter service deletes letters after a cycle and, in the case of an reappilcation, you would not have to reask the recommender to rewrite the letter if you use Interfolio.

Just dropping by to say Happy Thanksgiving to you all! I'm extremely grateful for the success we've all had so far, and hopefully more to come. Enjoy your day everyone

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Happy thanksgiving! I'm grateful for you all as well; you're definitely a cool bunch of folks Can't wait for the food! Lol

Reactions: 3 users
Happy thanksgiving everyone! I received my first ii a few days ago. Very thankful for the school because they looked at my entire app (with a low MCAT!).

Reactions: 7 users
Happy thanksgiving everyone! I received my first ii a few days ago. Very thankful for the school because they looked at my entire app (with a low MCAT!).

awesome news. prepare well and kill it! congrats!

Thanks a lot peoples!

I'm hoping the cycle is going great for everyone, no matter what point you're at. Hopefully you all have things to be thankful for during this thanksgiving :)

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, I'd been really busy so hadn't signed onto SDN in a loooong time lol I just had my first interview at WVU 2 weeks ago and received an acceptance today!! It's an amazing feeling and I hope this blessing falls upon all my fellow deserving URM peeps :)

Also got 2 more interviews, one at TCMC next week and another at U of Missouri - Columbia sometime in the future, I'm hoping for more love, but WVU is an awesome school so I'm satisfied lol

interview trail is officially over!
accepted to my #2 school yesterday and already interviewed at my #1. yesterday was my first acceptance so im still through the moon.
good luck to everyone still waiting, be patient, it will come. God's time is the best time.

accepted to my #2 school yesterday and already interviewed at my #1. yesterday was my first acceptance so im still through the moon.
good luck to everyone still waiting, be patient, it will come. God's time is the best time.

ugh, but the waiting is excruciating lol. huge congrats to you!!

Reactions: 2 users

Congratulations! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Same here, I think my trail is going to be wrapped up soon. Accepted to one of my top choices, and waiting to hear back from my #1 choice.

Good luck to everyone else, remember that an II means they already selected a seat for you-- you've just gotta show them that they were right.

A MS2 friend of mine also said to make sure if you're on WL to send them updates and letters of intent because it shows your desire to be at their school.

Congrats for wrapping up your cycle, guys... I'm definitely deciding in April lol

Hey, how's it going? I sent my secondaries in during the third week of september, and I haven't received any interviews yet. When should I start receiving school responses? I'm in Cali. When did you submit your secondaries? Thanks.

Hey, how's it going? I sent my secondaries in during the third week of september, and I haven't received any interviews yet. When should I start receiving school responses? I'm in Cali. When did you submit your secondaries? Thanks.
Hi there. I sent my secondaries to MD schools during the latter part of September. And I sent my secondaries to DO schools throughout October. The ii I received is from a DO school and I am also on hold at two other DO schools. I completed about 40 (20ish MD and 20ish DO) secondaries apps, and I've been rejected from about 10 of those places. So, I have yet to hear from the other 20+ schools. So, I am sitting tight like you at the moment and I cannot say when exactly you should hear something. I am from Cali also. PM me if you'd like. Good luck my friend.

Congrats everyone!

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted! I'm extremely happy: I've been accepted to two really great MST Programs! I think i'm definitely going to have some hard decisions to make...

I'm doing well! Just survived a CRAZY week! Lol I'm glad to hear you're doing well! :)

Hey just wanted to update you guys on my application status
MCAT = 32 (12,6,14) I hope being ESL will help me with verbal :(
3.7gpa , 3.65cgpa (upward trend: 3.1 my freshman year, 3.9 sophomore and junior year)
African American at georgetown applying disadvantage because I came from the worse school district in the US. I talk about how I was unprepared for college in my PS and describe I overcame my deficiencies in reading, math, and sciences.

Decided to go all in and apply to top tier schools since they won't hold me at a disadvantage for applying late and because they will give me the most $$ if I get in. I've also heard they are more holistic when choosing applicants. I plan on reapplying if I don't get in and won't have a problem with that (except losing a lot of money) because I am applying as a senior right now.
School list
Yale (submitting secondary ASAP)
Columbia (submitting secondary ASAP)
John Hopkins (submitting secondary ASAP)
Upenn (submitting secondary ASAP)
Vanderbilt (waiting for secondary )
UCSF (waiting for secondary)
Harvard (submitted secondary 9/29)
WashU st. Louis (submitted secondary 9/29)
Case Western (submitted secondary 9/29, invited interview 10/7)
Boston University (submitted secondary 9/29)
Mount Sinai (submitted secondary 9/29)
Dartmouth (submitted secondary 9/29)

Though I would give you guys an update! I went to my interview at Case Western and got a hold :( The only other school I have an interview for is Columbia 0_0 (coming up next week) so that gives me hope! I also got a secondary from UCSF so that also helps me sleep at night. I haven't received a rejection yet so i'm still optimistic!

Reactions: 5 users
Though I would give you guys an update! I went to my interview at Case Western and got a hold :( The only other school I have an interview for is Columbia 0_0 (coming up next week) so that gives me hope! I also got a secondary from UCSF so that also helps me sleep at night. I haven't received a rejection yet so i'm still optimistic!

good luck! sounds like you've gotten some great opportunities there, make the most of them all. also no rejections is a great sign, I've received far more rejections than interviews lol. best wishes moving forward!

Happy to see this cycle is going well for everyone! As for me, Ive had 8 interviews, 1 rejection( Vandy :(), 1 wait list, and 3 acceptances so far. Last interview in January. We're gonna be doctors yall!:soexcited:

Reactions: 7 users
Merry Christmas to all you guys! I feel like I've gotten to know many of you throughout this year, and just wanted to say thanks for all the support! Hopefully I can join you all in the MD acceptance thread soon :p

Reactions: 3 users
Merry Christmas to all you guys! I feel like I've gotten to know many of you throughout this year, and just wanted to say thanks for all the support! Hopefully I can join you all in the MD acceptance thread soon :p
Merry Christmas to you too! I have a feeling that 2015 will be great for you! Hang in there!! :)

I can't believe I'm just now discovering this side of SDN! Happy Holidays everyone, and may the new year bring plenty of good news and acceptances to everyone :)

Meeeerrrryyyy Christmas, loves! Hopefully you all are enjoying the holidays and this mini break we have from being neurotic about the application cycle! :)

Hi everyone!

I'm a URM and just completed the 2013-2014 app cycle. I'll be matriculating into Harvard Med during fall 2014, and wanted to show some love to this thread. Make sure you get those AMCAS apps in early and if anyone needs an extra pair of eyes to revise personal statements, inbox me!

i would like for you to give me advice on mcat prep i you can
thank yoi

Good luck everyone!

Antonio Webb, M.D.

Congratulations to everyone! Applying next cycle and already nervous haha

ACCEPTED TODAY!!!! OMG!!! Only one interview and I felt hopeless!!! However, they offered me a seat in their class today!!! I have a low MCAT of a 24 with 5 VR!!! Show dedication and you'll make it!!

Reactions: 10 users
ACCEPTED TODAY!!!! OMG!!! Only one interview and I felt hopeless!!! However, they offered me a seat in their class today!!! I have a low MCAT of a 24 with 5 VR!!! Show dedication and you'll make it!!
What school?

Random bump! How is the cycle going for everyone now?!?