2014-2015 Medical School Application Cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Random bump! How is the cycle going for everyone now?!?

despite my lack of acceptances/success and constant stress, I still like to see how well everyone else is doing haha. how's it going peeps?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
despite my lack of acceptances/success and constant stress, I still like to see how well everyone else is doing haha. how's it going peeps?
Every time I see you post I hope it's an acceptance post!!! I feel that yours will come soon!!!

Every time I see you post I hope it's an acceptance post!!! I feel that yours will come soon!!!

I pray every day that you're right. just trying to keep in positive spirits and stay busy. nothing else to be done!

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps, I can give someone hope.

3.1 undergrad, 3.8 Postbac
Reapplicant. 18-20 MCAT last year:confused:, applied later in cycle (September), only to 3 schools--(needless to say NO interviews+pity+) *P.S. Finish your prereqs before taking the MCAT (SILLY, ME)
This year 28-30 MCAT,, turned in AMCAS on first day, verified that SAME DAY.
Applied to 12 schools this cycle
5 MD interviews so far, 1 more scheduled
Waitlisted at 2, then ACCEPTED to my top choice, two days after the interview!!!:soexcited:

Divine recipe: Stay faithful, stay positive. Send update letters. When you land an interview, show them you're self-aware. Yea, you made some mistakes, but you've learned from them. Focus on all the great things you have to offer.

Random: I also wear whatever color button-up I want to at interviews. I've gotten so many compliments on how confident I look b/c I choose to wear colors. In other words, stand out in every way possible...from your personal statement to the way you carry yourself. People notice.

Good LUCK!!!!

***edit: well now accepted to both my top choices (along with a big internal scholarship) !!! #thankful

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Feel weird bumping the thread again but I'm bored haha.

Seems like just yesterday we were waiting to get verified and receive secondaries, now we are already in March! How's it going peeps?

A necessary bump if you ask me! It 's so weird that it's March already...:wow:

Doing well though...

Reactions: 2 users
I see you girl! For me things are about done, waiting for one more decision and then I'll have some decisions to make!

Feel weird bumping the thread again but I'm bored haha.

Seems like just yesterday we were waiting to get verified and receive secondaries, now we are already in March! How's it going peeps?

Word! This time last year the anticipation (and dread) of taking the MCAT and the unknown of applying was growing. I seriously had like a knot in my throat.

I feel very blessed this app cycle. Waiting on 3 more decisions and 1 more interview. How is it going for you all?

Reactions: 1 user
Word! This time last year the anticipation (and dread) of taking the MCAT and the unknown of applying was growing. I seriously had like a knot in my throat.

I feel very blessed this app cycle. Waiting on 3 more decisions and 1 more interview. How is it going for you all?
A week before today a year ago I was dreading life due to getting my first bad MCAT and studying for round 2. What a difference a year makes! Feel super grateful as well!

Reactions: 5 users
very happy for you guys. I'm sure more success to come for you all as well

very happy for you guys. I'm sure more success to come for you all as well
These schools need to stop playing and send you an acceptance already! I see you on a lot of similar threads so I've been following you sir!

These schools need to stop playing and send you an acceptance already! I see you on a lot of similar threads so I've been following you sir!

agreed ! I think we are all secretly waiting for it... it's gonna happen man! & when it does...... :banana: party time!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
like, when I say I love you all, I mean I LOVE you ALL!! hahah much love!

Attachments

• winfrey.jpg
    winfrey.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 41
Haha! What does that even mean? (more love than the old folks...) Are you talking about our non-trad thread? Thought i'd check in here see how everyone was doing.

@StudentofHonors I too am interviewing at UNMC (oct 3). Good luck! And i also applied to Pritzker. I was a bit late to the game though. It's an amazing school and I like their fit/family philosophy i just didn't think i was anywhere near competitive enough to apply. Then they sent me an email about wanting to see my app and it took me weeks to take the plunge.

How did you all pick your schools? It was a tough decision for me as my LizzyM (65+) doesn't fit very many schools and certainly none in my area. In the end i applied to many schools that sent me email requests AND that i genuinely wanted to attend. I kinda threw the LizzyM philosophy out the door.
What does lizzy m mean?

Last edited:
Yall wanna know the best part of medical school? Doing non-medical creative things with your classmates!

I don't appear in the video but I helped record, mix, and master the music lol I am credited under a false name :shifty: haha enjoy!

Reactions: 3 users
Boy does this process make you get well acquainted with rejection. I've learned that I like the ones that just say they don't have anymore interview spots and don't give false compliments. Anyway with that said I have been fortunate enough to have been accepted this cycle.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats! Yeah, I had to get real familiar with rejection as well! Glad you've been accepted!!! :)

I haven't been getting on SDN much, got tired of all the negativity. But I am glad to see everyone doing well and I am proud of all of you.

@DoctorLacrosse I hope you hear something soon. But if you don't, don't give up! I was a complete failure my first time around (didn't even get secondaries lol) and this year I got accepted. The key is to be self-aware and know where your weak points are and how to improve them. I'm living proof that it works to try, try, and try again :D

I've gotten rejected by 9/12 MD schools I applied to (including my original top choice :(), 1 acceptance at my second top choice, and still waiting to hear from 2 more schools post-interview. Only 1 DO interview invite (I didn't take it) and nothing else from the other 8 DO schools I applied to. Not too bad considering I worked through all of undergrad, didn't have many ECs, nor the highest GPA or MCAT. Hence, why I am so encouraging of everyone, including those with low stats.

Reactions: 7 users
I haven't been getting on SDN much, got tired of all the negativity. But I am glad to see everyone doing well and I am proud of all of you.

@DoctorLacrosse I hope you hear something soon. But if you don't, don't give up! I was a complete failure my first time around (didn't even get secondaries lol) and this year I got accepted. The key is to be self-aware and know where your weak points are and how to improve them. I'm living proof that it works to try, try, and try again :D

I've gotten rejected by 9/12 MD schools I applied to (including my original top choice :(), 1 acceptance at my second top choice, and still waiting to hear from 2 more schools post-interview. Only 1 DO interview invite (I didn't take it) and nothing else from the other 8 DO schools I applied to. Not too bad considering I worked through all of undergrad, didn't have many ECs, nor the highest GPA or MCAT. Hence, why I am so encouraging of everyone, including those with low stats.
Lilengine!!! You're back! I don't blame you, the negativity is ridiculous tbh haha. Congrats again buddy :)

so happy to hear that you had some success! congrats! and thanks for the words of encouragement of course :)

Lilengine!!! You're back! I don't blame you, the negativity is ridiculous tbh haha. Congrats again buddy :)

lol yes, I decided to come back and check out this thread. I hadn't gotten any notifications that ppl were still putting stuff up. I'm so proud of everyone though! Are you still waiting to hear back from schools?

lol yes, I decided to come back and check out this thread. I hadn't gotten any notifications that ppl were still putting stuff up. I'm so proud of everyone though! Are you still waiting to hear back from schools?
Yeah it's been slow! Nope I'm done basically, all but decided!

where are you leaning towards going? I can't imagine having to make a choice between MD schools. what an awesome, tough choice to have to make haha

where are you leaning towards going? I can't imagine having to make a choice between MD schools. what an awesome, tough choice to have to make haha
Haha you're silly, I feel you though! I think I'm leaning towards Indiana or MCW!

Hey guys,
I know I'm not as familiar to you all in this thread. I posted a few weeks ago, in efforts to inspire others. Just wanted to congratulate those who've received acceptances:highfive: and push those who are waiting on acceptances to stay positive:hello:! NEVER, EVER give up if this is what you truly want to do. I'm a pretty spiritual person. So, I believe that God wouldn't put it in your heart, if he wouldn't put it in your hand!

@miamiheatfan I'm in the same boat as you. I've declined the rest of my interviews and choosing to make a decision between my 2 top choices. Not complaining AT ALL... it's a good problem to have! Just making sure I make the right choice :)

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I know I'm not as familiar to you all in this thread. I posted a few weeks ago, in efforts to inspire others. Just wanted to congratulate those who've received acceptances:highfive: and push those who are waiting on acceptances to stay positive:hello:! NEVER, EVER give up if this is what you truly want to do it. I'm a pretty spiritual person. So, I believe that God wouldn't put it in your heart, if he wouldn't put it in your hand!

@miamiheatfan I'm in the same boat as you. I've declined the rest of my interviews and choosing to make a decision between my 2 top choices. Not complaining AT ALL... it's a good problem to have! Just making sure I make the right choice :)
Thank you for the post! Congrats to you on your acceptances!

I got accepted to Marshall U yesterday and waitlisted at TCMC. So 2 acceptances, 1 waitlist, and 1 reject. I think that's not too bad considering I only got 4 interviews after applying to 12 MD schools! lol

Now to wait for those fin aid letters to make my choice between WVU and Marshall :confused: I really liked both schools and there are about equal pros and cons to both...ugh! haha I thought for sure it was just luck I got an acceptance at all, but TWO! haha

Although you got wayyy more than me so you know about that more haha ;)

I got accepted to Marshall U yesterday and waitlisted at TCMC. So 2 acceptances, 1 waitlist, and 1 reject. I think that's not too bad considering I only got 4 interviews after applying to 12 MD schools! lol

Now to wait for those fin aid letters to make my choice between WVU and Marshall :confused: I really liked both schools and there are about equal pros and cons to both...ugh! haha I thought for sure it was just luck I got an acceptance at all, but TWO! haha

Although you got wayyy more than me so you know about that more haha ;)
Sweeeeeettttt! Haha true, but we all can only go to one school at the end of the day! Super grateful for it all :)

Random bump! How's everyone doing?!

4 interviews - 1 wait list, 2 silence, 1 rejection. i'm trying to stay as positive as possible

Random bump! How's everyone doing?!
Greatttttt! I know I don't post often (more of a lurker lol) but after receiving all my financial aid packages it finally feels like everything is coming full circle and that this is all actually really happening. As a non-traditional applicant, I love reading everyone's success stories :)

4 interviews - 1 wait list, 2 silence, 1 rejection. i'm trying to stay as positive as possible
Keep hope alive! It's not over till its over :) I would write update letters/letters of interest/letters of intent and keep in constant contact with those 3 schools. Good luck!!!

@HueyFreeman I'm happy to hear that you are staying positive! Like @lemmym said, you're still in the running! I'll be rooting for you!

Wow! I am ecstatic. I was offered a pretty large scholarship from one school >150k and a much smaller amount at the school I really thought was the best fit for me personally & academically. I sent a letter 2 days ago asking them to reconsider my scholarship to make the decision easier for me... and it worked! They actually matched it! :soexcited: #blessed

Reactions: 8 users
Wow! I am ecstatic. I was offered a pretty large scholarship from one school >150k and a much smaller amount at the school I really thought was the best fit for me personally & academically. I sent a letter 2 days ago asking them to reconsider my scholarship to make the decision easier for me... and it worked! They actually matched it! :soexcited: #blessed
This is awesome! I have a question about how this works - who exactly did you email at your top choice about raising your scholarship? And how did you word the email?

This is awesome! I have a question about how this works - who exactly did you email at your top choice about raising your scholarship? And how did you word the email?

After reading a few pre-med and pre-law forums, I noticed ppl usually sent the letter to the person who signed their acceptance letter (usually the dean or asst. dean of the med school).

In a nutshell, I graciously thanked the school for their acceptance and original offer. Expressed my reservations to officially commit to their school due to the competitive award I received from the other school and how it would be irresponsible not to consider the higher offer. Elaborated on why their school was the best fit for me and how I could contribute to their program. Then, politely asked for a reconsideration of my current scholarship. Came out to about 1 page. Hope this helps!

I do have to add that this prob works best for peer institutions or schools that are somewhat comparable. I can't imagine trying to ask Harvard for more money b/c you received a full-tuition from a notably lower ranked school. Not impossible, but a lot harder to swing.

Edit: Also! Be very humble about it all. There are thousands of equally awesome applicants who would gladly take your seat for waaaaaay less.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

That is awesome! I didn't get anything but loans at one school and a small-ish (compared to yours) scholarship at the other, so my choice was easily made! lol It's really cool to hear that some schools will take these types of things into accountthough. Anyway, congrats on not only getting accepted, but also not having to go into debt like everyone else!! lol :clap:

That is awesome! I didn't get anything but loans at one school and a small-ish (compared to yours) scholarship at the other, so my choice was easily made! lol It's really cool to hear that some schools will take these types of things into accountthough. Anyway, congrats on not only getting accepted, but also not having to go into debt like everyone else!! lol :clap:

Thanks! Feels surreal. I'm a reapplicant, so I never thought I'd be in this position. Just extremely thankful. SN: I've realized rejection forces us to be resilient, self-critical, and less fearful. I've learned so much about myself between these 2 cycles! Lol I don't think I would've had the gall to ask for a bigger scholarship back then... But now? Welp, I've heard "no" before! And I'm still alive.... Stay positive guys:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Thanks! Feels surreal. I'm a reapplicant, so I never thought I'd be in this position. Just extremely thankful. SN: I've realized rejection forces us to be resilient, self-critical, and less fearful. I've learned so much about myself between these 2 cycles! Lol I don't think I would've had the gall to ask for a bigger scholarship back then... But now? Welp, I've heard "no" before! And I'm still alive.... Stay positive guys:)
Couldn't have said this better myself as a fellow reapplicant. I feel like I can handle anything now! Bringgggg it! Haha

I'm a reapplicant too so I totally understand! I think we're a true testament to "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." I didn't think I'd get ANY money at all because in the last few years I'm no longer considered low SES so I was happy with what I did get.

Accepted to NYMC! I can't believe it. It really only takes one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users