2014-2015 Official Psychology Ph.D./PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To those who applied to these places:
I just called Western Michigan University and they said they will be extending interview invites most likely today or tomorrow.
I also called Idaho State University and they said they probably won't offer invites until mid-february.

Thanks for doing that, I was really curious about Idaho State! Good to know so that I can slow the obsessive email checking (or attempt to) :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
School Name: Loyola University Maryland
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/29/14
Degree: PsyD
Type: Clinical
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: February 13

Reactions: 1 user
...anyone hear anything from Nova since Tuesday? Any news? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else undergoing the tortuous process of waiting to hear about PhD programs from Arizona State, Boston University, University of Denver, Michigan State, University of Montana? Seen a couple posts about some of these schools on TGC but nothing on here...told myself I wouldn't help clog up this thread, but I can't take the waiting anymore! Wanted to check here before I cave and call the admins.

Anyone else undergoing the tortuous process of waiting to hear about PhD programs from Arizona State, Boston University, University of Denver, Michigan State, University of Montana? Seen a couple posts about some of these schools on TGC but nothing on here...told myself I wouldn't help clog up this thread, but I can't take the waiting anymore! Wanted to check here before I cave and call the admins.
I just checked the ASU website and saw that I was rejected. I also applied to BU and my understanding is all invites are out. Good luck on the other programs!

So, according to TGC, many more invites have gone out today from Nova just FYI, so...stay tuned :p

I just checked the ASU website and saw that I was rejected. I also applied to BU and my understanding is all invites are out. Good luck on the other programs!

Oh look at that...my rejection is right there too! :p That's too bad about BU. If Emory's interview date is still 2/4, I'll assume that's a rejection as well. Lots of great schools and great cities to cross off but oh well...thanks for the info and good luck to you too!

I applied to University of Denver [PSYD] + University of Montana-
Haven't heard from Montana, and I emailed UD's department but haven't heard back yet.

School Name: University of Montana
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/29/15
Degree: PhD
Notified via: Phone
Interview Date: 2/27
:highfive:

Reactions: 4 users
School Name: University of Montana
:highfive:

:heckyeah:!!! awesome!

UNC-Greensboro says on their website that all invites will be extended by February 1st. Anyone know how that's going?
I don't know if they're done extending, but I did just get an invite this week! Which was later than many of the other posts. Good luck!

Oh look at that...my rejection is right there too! :p That's too bad about BU. If Emory's interview date is still 2/4, I'll assume that's a rejection as well. Lots of great schools and great cities to cross off but oh well...thanks for the info and good luck to you too!

Hey are you guys talking about ASU Counseling Psych or Clinical Psych? My status is still showing in review for Counseling Psych.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if they're done extending, but I did just get an invite this week! Which was later than many of the other posts. Good luck!
Clinical? Can you please PM me your POI? Best of luck to you!

School Name: University of North Dakota
Interview Date: 2/20 and 2/21

Reactions: 1 users
School Name: University of North Dakota
Interview Date: 2/20 and 2/21

School Name: Seattle Pacific University
Interview Date: March 2

Rejected at ASU. Wonder why they don't send out emails? It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult.

January 30th seems to be a very popular interview day I've noticed, good luck to everyone today!

School Name: Biola University - Rosemead School of Psychology
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/30/15
Interview Date: February 3 and 24

Rejected at ASU. Wonder why they don't send out emails? It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult.
I got a rejection email from them late last night. Maybe their system is a little behind, I saw the rejection on my ASU account earlier. It said to contact them if you want more info about the decision. Curious to see if they get back to me and what they say.

Can anyone claim the ASU Counseling Psych interview on the Grad Cafe? If so, congratulations and would you please message me your POI if you don't mind.

Has anyone heard anything about UMass Boston's Counseling Psychology program interviews? the clinical interview invites are supposed to go out by the end of this week, but I'm wondering about the counseling invites...
I'm waiting to hear from this program too...

Thanks for taking one for the team!! I have another that weekend, so that could possibly be interesting.
Same here. Going to be down that way already. Would love to have to hit UVa. Better to have the problem of juggling 2 interviews than having none... I hope they don't wait to long to contact invitees.

To those who applied to these places:
I just called Western Michigan University and they said they will be extending interview invites most likely today or tomorrow.
I also called Idaho State University and they said they probably won't offer invites until mid-february.

Thanks for the news on Western Michigan. I doubt my employer would thank you, though, for ensuring that all I do today is click the refresh button on my e-mail. That is, I believe, the last one I am waiting on.

Anyone else insanely jealous of the acceptances coming up on tgf?

I called Nova again today...and they are currently reviewing applicants beginning with last names of "RA."

School Name: University of Missouri, St. Louis
Interview Date: 2/20

I called Nova again today...and they are currently reviewing applicants beginning with last names of "RA."
i just want to let you know that Nova was the very last one I heard from for everything lol.

School Name: Nova Southeastern University
Degree: PsyD
Interview Date: 2/16

super excited! my first interview invite :)

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else apply to Michigan state clinical phd?? Their website says interview day is on feb 9 and invites were to have gone out early January. Ugh. I'm going to call and confirm. My POI there had strongly encouraged me to apply and said she would be very interested in considering my app, so I'm going to be extra disappointed if the website is accurate.

*edit: Admin told me she believes they have picked all the applicants for interviews but she doesn't know if they have all been contacted yet. Should have asked if that interview date posted is accurate. Just weird to not have seen any activity here or on TGC for MSU. I want very badly to contact my POI but I'll refrain for now.

Last edited:
.... I want very badly to contact my POI but I'll refrain for now.

I know that POIs are all different people and as such have varying reactions to being contacted, but this season I have emailed 3 POIs to ask if they had extended their invitations and each one responded kindly. 2 of them had already extended invitations (I emailed them because the admin secretary didn't know), and 1 hadn't yet, but not a single one ignored me or was rude. Granted, they may have been irritated or whatever on the inside, but I received an answer, so it was successful in my book. Just a thought- like I said, I'm sure this varies wildly by POI, however if I had already been in contact with them (as in your case) I would probably send one. Good luck to you either way! :luck:

[QUOTE=" I want very badly to contact my POI but I'll refrain for now.[/QUOTE]

I think at this point, considering there is one week till the interview, I would contact the POI. I have contacted one of mine, and received a very positive response. I think that if they are not going to invite you, it won't hurt, and if they plan to, they won't reject you because of it. In my opinion (which could be wrong), it actually shows that you are interested in the program.

School Name: Hofstra University

[QUOTE=" I want very badly to contact my POI but I'll refrain for now.

I think at this point, considering there is one week till the interview, I would contact the POI. I have contacted one of mine, and received a very positive response. I think that if they are not going to invite you, it won't hurt, and if they plan to, they won't reject you because of it. In my opinion (which could be wrong), it actually shows that you are interested in the program.[/QUOTE]

I've been feeling the same way. My mentor and one of my other references are staunchly against me contacting any of my POI. She says that these are my future colleagues and that I want to make a good impression. I see both sides, but I will trust her judgment. I think my own is clouded by anxiety at the moment.

I was just wondering about this program earlier this week! :)

School Name: UMass Boston
Type: Counseling
Notified via: email
Interview Date: Thurs. 2/26 9:30-5:30pm; social with current doc students at 6:30 downtown (Boston)

My mentor and one of my other references are staunchly against me contacting any of my POI.

This is so curious to me. It depends on the point in the process, but in a situation like @qualpsych's, where:
My POI there had strongly encouraged me to apply and said she would be very interested in considering my app
it seems really appropriate to reach out briefly and respectfully.

@MAJJacobs, what does your mentor/reference suggest will happen if you contact the POI?

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I couldn't take it any more so I pulled the trigger and sent a brief email. Now excuse me while I refresh my inbox every 30 seconds...

This is so curious to me. It depends on the point in the process, but in a situation like @qualpsych's, where:
it seems really appropriate to reach out briefly and respectfully.

@MAJJacobs, what does your mentor/reference suggest will happen if you contact the POI?

I guess it could come across as irritating or desperate. I thought it might show genuine interest- especially if there's a strong match there. She said it could go either way, so it's best to err on the side of caution. I would say that since there's a lack on consensus, whatever you choose to do is unlikely to have a big impact either way. I'm only guessing, of course. I have no idea.

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I couldn't take it any more so I pulled the trigger and sent a brief email. Now excuse me while I refresh my inbox every 30 seconds...

Remember that it's already after 5 in Michigan :) Good luck!!

Got an interview from Nova's Clinical PsyD program! So far I have interviews at:
Indianapolis
Hartford
Pacific
Chicago School (politely declined this one)
Antioch (went and got accepted!)
The only school I'm waiting on is Florida Tech.
Good luck everyone! PM me if anyone else will be attending these interviews. :)

I wouldn't worry about it! I emailed one of my POI's, and she kindly sent me back a detailed email explaining what she liked about my application, why I wasn't chosen, and how I can strengthen it for future years. It was actually VERY helpful and it made myself feel a lot better!

Reactions: 2 users
@marathonman51213 I hope everything is okay with you... Haven't seen you active in the thread in a little while. Check in and let us know you're alright when you get a chance! :)

Reactions: 5 users
can anyone claim the western michigan posts for clinical psych on TGC?

I was just wondering about this program earlier this week! :)

School Name: UMass Boston
Type: Counseling
Notified via: email
Interview Date: Thurs. 2/26 9:30-5:30pm; social with current doc students at 6:30 downtown (Boston)
Congratulations! I'm hoping against hope they didn't get all their invites out Friday...

Hello all! It appears all my schools have finished offering interviews and I did not receive any. My part of this journey is over and I just wanted to say good luck to all of you!!

Hello all! It appears all my schools have finished offering interviews and I did not receive any. My part of this journey is over and I just wanted to say good luck to all of you!!

Same, though I still have masters hopes. Good luck everyone!