2014-2015 Official Psychology Ph.D./PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder sometimes what's the point in all this....(yeah, I am having a down moment). All of this competitiveness just to get into a profession where despite the fact we will spend 5+ years of training to become a licensed professional for 1/3 of the salary of many health care providers. I will have spent 5 years for undergrad, 2 years for master's, 5 years for the doctorate (hopefully), plus at least 2 years post-doc to become licensed. we are talking about 14 years of life spent in education. I hope this becomes worth it.
I have had similar thoughts. I am sure it's what I want to do, but if I don't get into a program this year, how many more times would I apply again? I spent tens of thousands of dollars on a masters to prepare myself just to apply, but it didn't license me to do anything. I love being in school so I'm okay with years more or schooling, it's the not getting in part that worries me. I guess we can only see what happens this time and deal with whatever the outcome is.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have had similar thoughts. I am sure it's what I want to do, but if I don't get into a program this year, how many more times would I apply again? I spent tens of thousands of dollars on a masters to prepare myself just to apply, but it didn't license me to do anything. I love being in school so I'm okay with years more or schooling, it's the not getting in part that worries me. I guess we can only see what happens this time and deal with whatever the outcome is.

Yup, this is very similar to my situation. I have spent lots of money between undergrad and grad school just to prepare myself for this. I already moved out from a profession I sank 15 years of long, dedicated and passionate work in, so just picking up and blindly picking another profession if psychology fails is not an option I am ready to entertain just yet, nor will it be as easy as many people like to suggest. There are certain subjects, material and environments I work better in than others, things I enjoy more than others, and these all factor into making a decision for a potential career path. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be skilled at math, business, have an outgoing personality or some type of ambitious drive to do business or finance just to make money, but I know I would hate it. I have used up a lot of loans to get this far, so unfortunately getting another master's is not really feasible. I have tried out several other professions post-music (mortgage, retail, front office for physician), and none of them appealed to me. I am lucky to not have children, both my husband and I are focused on us and our careers as a couple.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a rejection from UMass Boston counseling phd with really nice email asking me to consider the Masters & come to the open house on 2/27. Took the sting out a bit

On another note - has anyone heard from Clark & UVa (not Curry)? Maybe I missed posts here & on TGC...

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder sometimes what's the point in all this....(yeah, I am having a down moment). All of this competitiveness just to get into a profession where despite the fact we will spend 5+ years of training to become a licensed professional for 1/3 of the salary of many health care providers. I will have spent 5 years for undergrad, 2 years for master's, 5 years for the doctorate (hopefully), plus at least 2 years post-doc to become licensed. we are talking about 14 years of life spent in education. I hope this becomes worth it.

I wanted to respond to this because I do wish this is something I had known when I was applying to grad programs. If this application process is really unbearable for you, keep in mind that this is something you will continue to experience. You will apply for practica, you will apply for internship, you will apply for post docs. I am in the post doc application process and I am probably just as stressed out as I was back in your position. It does not end with your acceptance to grad school. Yes, you get through it, but you will continue to have these thoughts of "Is it worth it?" and especially when you're waiting to hear back from places. Heck, I'm having those right now and I'm over halfway through internship. But I'm also burnt out on applying for training positions, so I'm also coming from a fairly low place. I may have a different attitude in a few weeks if I get a post doc offer ;) But I also know that every year I have been pretty much been applying for something, aside from my first year before external practica.

Reactions: 9 users
I wanted to respond to this because I do wish this is something I had known when I was applying to grad programs. If this application process is really unbearable for you, keep in mind that this is something you will continue to experience. You will apply for practica, you will apply for internship, you will apply for post docs. I am in the post doc application process and I am probably just as stressed out as I was back in your position. It does not end with your acceptance to grad school. Yes, you get through it, but you will continue to have these thoughts of "Is it worth it?" and especially when you're waiting to hear back from places. Heck, I'm having those right now and I'm over halfway through internship. But I'm also burnt out on applying for training positions, so I'm also coming from a fairly low place. I may have a different attitude in a few weeks if I get a post doc offer ;) But I also know that every year I have been pretty much been applying for something, aside from my first year before external practica.

What keeps me going is my genuine intrigue to learn about behavior and the brain. I have read and heard of the horror stories such as what you are dealing with and definitely feel for ya. Hopefully I am the right person for the job, that I will learn the techniques of how to appropriately deal with difficult situations, honestly, I sometimes wonder if I am the right person for the job, with some of my high tempers I may have, worrying about things often, looking at things in a pessimistic way. I am operating in uncharted waters, and it is scary, I have no backup plans, nothing readily I could do as an alternative career.

Love that you shared this. During my interview I talked to several 4th years who were finishing the interview process for their placement next year. It keeps going, every year, waiting for something. I think a big part of the wait is what we are doing during our waiting: growing as people, developing interests, balancing family life (even family of 1) and work. I think it's when we make the wait the focus, the weight of the wait becomes difficult (definitely been there too ;) ) on that note, my favorite way to wait is cooking for people so I'm off to make chicken enchiladas and chocolate chip cookies!

I'm only focusing on one school at a time so I don't accidentally mix up my facts. I'm of course focusing on my POI, but my first interview has me interviewing with two faculty other who I don't have much in common with, so I'm trying to draw connections between my work and theirs. I'm really trying to relax, and focus more on knowing my CV inside and out rather than knowing theirs. I'm prepping questions for each professor and definitely plan on having a notebook with me during the interviews to refer back to and to jot down notes in - That doesn't seem unprofessional, right?
Not unprofessional, and I may be wrong to some extent, but in my opinion it's a bit unnatural-feeling. There's a difference between being prepared and appearing to have so little confidence in your natural abilities to converse that you need to refer to a notebook. Even if that's not the reason why you might be using such a notebook, think of how it could possibly appear to others. If it could engender questions about your confidence and ability to interact with new people and situations genuinely, it might be something to think about.

It's true that it's normal to feel nervous, but the key point to remember is that everyone is nervous. It's much better to be prepared than not, but it's even better to have a genuine and natural feel to your interaction style.

Again, I think this is slightly a matter of opinion and depends on the person, though, so some might disagree with me.

An M.A. acceptance is better than nothing! Did they offer any funding?
They offered 15 credits of tuition remission with the opportunity of earning an additional 3 more credits of remission the second year of study, provided that I perform well academically in the program.

Reading this thread has both been super helpful and anxiety provoking for me. I appreciate the collaborative effort and amazing positivity that comes from here. I'm awaiting to hear back from three schools (Virginia Tech, Rutgers, and USC...kinda) while preparing for my second and currently final interview at Pepperdine this Friday.

Its been disappointing to not get even an interview at the local schools around me (Loyola, UMD, GW), but only get interviews all the way across the country in CA. Life is funny sometimes.

I received an e-mail from Virginia Tech stating that all of their interview invitations went out already

Edit: I'm sorry, somebody already posted this! :/

I received notice yesterday that Boston College was unable to accept me into their doctoral program (counseling); however, they ACCEPTED me into their M.A. program and offered me 18 credits of tuition remission. Yay, my first acceptance.
congrats!!!

Update: Just called SHU. They won't be emailing anyone until the end of next week at the earliest.

--Original Question--
Did anyone hear from Seton-Hall yesterday? Last week, we received the following email:
"The SHU Counseling Psychology doctoral program faculty are finalizing their review of applications, and you should receive an update as to the disposition of your application byWednesday – 2/4/15."

Yesterday came and went, SPAM filters were reviewed and emptied, and no response from SHU.

Last edited:
I see yet another Idaho State rejection on TGC... still no interviews?

I see yet another Idaho State rejection on TGC... still no interviews?
They might have gone out quietly, like the NYU Counseling Psych ones did. None of those showed up on TGC, but Gambit called and found out they'd all been sent out.

What keeps me going is my genuine intrigue to learn about behavior and the brain. I have read and heard of the horror stories such as what you are dealing with and definitely feel for ya. Hopefully I am the right person for the job, that I will learn the techniques of how to appropriately deal with difficult situations, honestly, I sometimes wonder if I am the right person for the job, with some of my high tempers I may have, worrying about things often, looking at things in a pessimistic way. I am operating in uncharted waters, and it is scary, I have no backup plans, nothing readily I could do as an alternative career.
Hang in there! It's a rough process, for sure. My coworker put it well, though: it's like applying for a job - if they only have one position, they can only take one person. Doesn't mean you're NOT awesome or NOT qualified, it just means it didn't work out (this time). If it's what you want, you just have to keep trying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you or anyone know if the Feb 13th interview day is for PHD or both PHD & PSYD?

Based on an email I received yesterday from the department, Feb 13th is for applicants being considered for the Ph.D. program.

(RE: SHU ([Seton-Hall University])
blerg...I didn't get an email from them last week...

Don't blerg just yet! They said they haven't finished even REVIEWING applications and are behind on that. (The department assistant answered the phone.) So it could just be that they didn't get up to your batch yet.

So, the other threads here on Ferkauf/Yeshiva University frequently talk about the difficulties in getting a straight answer out of them.

Has anyone been invited for the 19th?? In speaking with the department (twice), they said that they had already sent out invites for 2/5 and 2/12, and as RSVPs for those trickle in, they'll consider inviting people for the 19th.

Any info--or mutual commiseration or anticipation--much appreciated.

School Name: La Salle University
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/5/14
Degree: PsyD
Type: Clinical
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: March 13

I finally have one to post! :)

School Name: Adelphi University -- Derner Institute
Degree: PhD
Interview Date: Monday 2/23, 10-4 (all day)

Reactions: 2 users
School Name: University of Minnesota
Interview Date: March 5-7

I dug back in this thread a bit and apparently, the Rutgers Clinical PhD interview is today. Historically, I don't think they've been great about sending rejections.

Anyone on here applying to the PGSP-Stanford Consortium PsyD program? Any Idea when we will hear about interviews? I know there are several dates and typically you hear from them later than PhD programs but I am getting nervous

Anyone on here applying to the PGSP-Stanford Consortium PsyD program? Any Idea when we will hear about interviews? I know there are several dates and typically you hear from them later than PhD programs but I am getting nervous

I know the first round of interviews for that program was Jan 23-24th, a bunch of the people that applied to Palo Alto's Ph.D program applied to the PsyD as well. So during the Ph.D interview days for Palo Alto they did some psy.d interviews as well. I dunno if that's because all those applicants were in town already for that weekend though and they just held interviews for that at that point.

This may be a long shot, but did anyone here interview for Wright State's PsyD program on Friday? I have a Skype interview with them next week and am wondering which faculty conduct interviews.

I got an email that I am wait listed post-interview. Does anyone have any idea how long it usually takes to get an offer after being in a wait list? Is it reasonable to suspect the offer to occur around late March/early April when people decide where to attend?

Did anyone apply to the advanced standing masters program at the New School for Social Research?

I got an email that I am wait listed post-interview. Does anyone have any idea how long it usually takes to get an offer after being in a wait list? Is it reasonable to suspect the offer to occur around late March/early April when people decide where to attend?
I think part of this depends on the kind and level of the school from what I've heard. For example, I think there's some major shuffling that happens just before the April 15th selection deadline, such that if a waitlist is used at one of the top schools, it usually starts to trickle down as people make shifts. Even some researchers I know who are psychiatrists have echoed this about clinical PhD programs. Not sure what happens with PsyD or counseling PhD, but I can't imagine it's too different. Perhaps PsyD have less of an impetus on moving quickly from wait lists since they're looking at a larger incoming class as compared to a professor trying to make sure their lab is staffed with a grad student.

Hey everyone, here are some Psy.D updates:

School Name: University of La Verne, CA
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/23/2015
Track: N/A
Notified via: email
Interview Date: 02/13/2015

School Name: Nova Southeastern
Date Interview Invite Received: 01/29/2015
Degree: PsyDTrack: N/A
Notified via: Phone call / email
Interview Date: 03/09/2015

School Name: Chestnut Hill College
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/03/2015
Track:
N/A
Interview Date: 03/16/2015

School Name: Hartford
Date Interview Invite Received: 02/06/2015
Notified via: Phone call, VM
(I called back and left a voicemail, The interview date interferes with another one but I did not receive a phone call back yet)

I have received paper rejections from Widener University and Immaculata University, and "denied" online status from LIU. Any rejections/ interviews from La Salle, Yeshiva or Marywood Psy.D?

Congrats and good luck to everyone! This sure is a nerve-wrecking process.

Has anybody heard from University of British Columbia-Counseling PhD? I can't find anything anywhere about it.
Thanks!

Should we be posting acceptances here?

For anyone else who is waiting on Rutgers PsyD, I just got an email from them stating that they will start sending out interview invites next week (Feb 2nd).

for clinical psych or school psych? I applied for school psych and haven't heard anything yet, which really worries me...

For clinical - not sure about the school psych program. Good luck!

I'm waiting on the clinical psych program too for their Rutgers psyD. I keep on checking my application daily and its still sitting at the "no decision" page.

School Name: Pacific University
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/16/2015
Track: Child/Adolescent
Notified via:Email
Interview Date: 2/27/2015
Additional Info:
Lunch, Interview with students and faculty, Writing component

Hey everyone, here are some Psy.D updates:

School Name: University of La Verne, CA
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/23/2015
Degree:
PsyD
Notified via: email

School Name: Nova Southeastern
Date Interview Invite Received: 01/29/2015
Degree:
PsyDTrack: N/A
Interview Date: 03/09/2015

School Name: Chestnut Hill College
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/03/2015
Degree:
PsyD
Interview Date: 03/16/2015

School Name: Hartford
Date Interview Invite Received: 02/06/2015
Degree:
PsyD
Notified via: Phone call, VM
(I called back and left a voicemail, The interview date interferes with another one but I did not receive a phone call back yet)

I have received paper rejections from Widener University and Immaculata University, and "denied" online status from LIU. Any rejections/ interviews from La Salle, Yeshiva or Marywood Psy.D?

Congrats and good luck to everyone! This sure is a nerve-wrecking process.

I received an interview invitation for La Salle today. Their interview date is 3/16. I have interviews for Xavier and Widener coming up. I received a mail rejection from LIU and an email rejection from Loyola. I had an interview at the American School of Professional Psych (Argosy DC) about three weeks ago. My last one to hear back from is Rutgers but I'm not expecting good news. Good luck!!!!

I received an interview invitation for La Salle today. Their interview date is 3/16. I have interviews for Xavier and Widener coming up. I received a mail rejection from LIU and an email rejection from Loyola. I had an interview at the American School of Professional Psych (Argosy DC) about three weeks ago. My last one to hear back from is Rutgers but I'm not expecting good news. Good luck!!!!

Ah! Congrats! I got an email from La Salle today too :). I have Chestnut Hill on the 16th so they gave me the 13th! Very excited. Good luck!

So excited!! I had already come to terms with not being invited for an interview this year :)

School Name: Drexel University
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/9/2015
Track: health
Notified via: phone call
Interview Date: 2/16/2015
Additional Info: social event with graduate students the night before

Reactions: 4 users
Alright...so, I have some news about Nova Southeastern. I got an email and phone call from Nova today about my application. So, overall my application was fantastic in terms of GPA, grades, coursework in my master's, research, LOR's, personal statement. The adviser told me it was my GRE that made the committee question giving me an interview. They asked me if I would consider re-taking it, and if I agreed, they could find something to work for me. I knew going into this that the GRE was my limiting factor. They haven't officially rejected my application for an interview, but I will say it does not look good. So, I am already trying to reframe this grief, not sure what theoretical approach I should take on this :p. Funny enough, she did say that the Ph.D. in Family Therapy still was accepting applicants and she could also push my file to be reviewed for that (not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing).

*sigh* :(

For those of you participating in in-person interviews, have you noticed that lots of the programs ask the same questions to the applicants?

For those of you participating in in-person interviews, have you noticed that lots of the programs ask the same questions to the applicants?

Ya, there will be similar questions at most interviews, but every place asks me at least one new question. I even got a case study for a question at one place!

Alright...so, I have some news about Nova Southeastern. I got an email and phone call from Nova today about my application. So, overall my application was fantastic in terms of GPA, grades, coursework in my master's, research, LOR's, personal statement. The adviser told me it was my GRE that made the committee question giving me an interview. They asked me if I would consider re-taking it, and if I agreed, they could find something to work for me. I knew going into this that the GRE was my limiting factor. They haven't officially rejected my application for an interview, but I will say it does not look good. So, I am already trying to reframe this grief, not sure what theoretical approach I should take on this :p. Funny enough, she did say that the Ph.D. in Family Therapy still was accepting applicants and she could also push my file to be reviewed for that (not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing).

*sigh* :(

I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds frustrating. It sounds like they really liked your application generally. I can't imagine they would go through the effort otherwise! My cousin graduated from their marriage and family counseling program and she loved it. She really liked that she had the opportunity to do her own research. Just food for thought!

I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds frustrating. It sounds like they really liked your application generally. I can't imagine they would go through the effort otherwise! My cousin graduated from their marriage and family counseling program and she loved it. She really liked that she had the opportunity to do her own research. Just food for thought!

I feel like if I did that, I would be just taking a spot for the sake of graduating with a Ph.D. It has taken me a while to realize that if I don't enjoy what I do, it wont happen, no matter how hard I try or comprehend the field. I have noticed that I do great in neuro, but there are several things in research in this field that do not appeal to me, I could not see myself researching neuroscience all day, everyday of my life. I have no exposure to marriage therapy, so I would be going into it completely blind. I also asked the person at Nova about the funding, and evidently the Ph.D. is something you have to pay out of pocket as well (just like their clinical psych. Ph.D. for the longest time, up until recently). But I def. appreciate the sentiments and info. Also, it seems like their pay is pretty low, am I right?