2014-2015 Official Psychology Ph.D./PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone heard from New Mexico? Feel like it's getting late in the game but still hoping for an invite.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard from Portland State or Washington State? I feel like I should have heard from them by now.

Can someone claim the USF acceptance post in TGC?

Members don't see this ad :)
School Name: Idaho State University
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/10/2015
Degree: PhD
Type: Clinical
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: March 6th and 7th
Additional Info: Email to notify me that my official interview invite was sent in the mail.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone heard from New Mexico? Feel like it's getting late in the game but still hoping for an invite.
I'm in the same boat. Have seen a few things on TGC but they seem POI specific, at least I'm hoping!

Has anyone heard from Portland State or Washington State? I feel like I should have heard from them by now.
Clinical? I got an interview invite from my POI (via email) for Washington State about 3 weeks ago. I declined the invite, so I don't know anything about the interview weekend.

Has anyone heard from any of the Rutger's PsyD's? Mine still says "no decision" and it's driving me nuts! It's 2 weeks before the official interview day! Last year I applied there too and received my interview invite in the beginning of February. not sure why they would invite me last year but not this year...

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone claim the USF acceptance post in TGC?
I can't, but received an email from my POI at USF this morning confirming I was still interested and letting me know they would be in touch soon about admissions decisions, so not all offers have been extended it would seem.

So I have an upcoming interview with my POI and their lab. I'm not sure the structure of the interview, if it's with multiple grad students at the same time or some individually. I asked and they stated they didn't know yet. But it's all day long. So I'm wondering, do I need to know the grad students work? What they have been published on, etc? This lab has approximately six different students in it.

So I have an upcoming interview with my POI and their lab. I'm not sure the structure of the interview, if it's with multiple grad students at the same time or some individually. I asked and they stated they didn't know yet. But it's all day long. So I'm wondering, do I need to know the grad students work? What they have been published on, etc? This lab has approximately six different students in it.

- I am in the same boat- any advice would be great :)

I can't, but received an email from my POI at USF this morning confirming I was still interested and letting me know they would be in touch soon about admissions decisions, so not all offers have been extended it would seem.

Same here--can't confirm the TGC post, but I received an identical email this morning.

EDIT: I'll also note that said email has been driving me nuts all freaking day. All I should've wanted for christmas is the ability to train my brain to assume I've not been accepted so that if it happens I'll be pleasantly surprised, rather than worrying about it and letting such brief emails create day-long cognitive blizzards.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If they don't know yet, I wouldn't be too worried about it. I'd be more concerned with being able to carry on a conversation about broader shared interests than with being able to discuss the specifics of work they've done.

We don't expect that you're familiar with our work at all. I think I'd be totally shocked if someone brought up a paper or whatever. I think it's more important to just get to know the students- as potential colleagues and as people you would spend a lot of time with -while you're there. If the program or lab has a site with basic student interests, it might be helpful to look briefly at that, but more so you know who you have the most in common with, because they're probably the one who can answer your questions best (and you would be most likely to work with if you went to that program).

Reactions: 2 users
I was informed today that Yeshiva PhD interviews are wrapping up and that we should be notified of our acceptance status by the end of next week.

Harvard? Does anyone know anything perhaps....

I was informed today that Yeshiva PhD interviews are wrapping up and that we should be notified of our acceptance status by the end of next week.

Ditto with its PsyD, too. There were interviews 2/5, 2/12, and one scheduled for the 19th. The school is in serious fiscal trouble, so perhaps not getting in there (or even getting an interview) was meant to be.

which PsyD? I applied for the School-Clinical one. I take it highly unlikely that they were interviewing already on 2/5 as the deadline was 2/1 or 2/2..

Clinical? I got an interview invite from my POI (via email) for Washington State about 3 weeks ago. I declined the invite, so I don't know anything about the interview weekend.

Counseling Psychology

Wait listed at University of Southern Mississippi Counseling Psychology.

Received an email from Syracuse this morning that I've been placed on the wait-list. Doubt anything will come of it, but at least Syracuse sent something out.

FYI: The Seton Hall (SHU) Counseling Psychology PhD Program is not accepting ANYBODY for next year. Any clue why this could be?

No idea, but I'd sure like the money I spent on that application back :-/

I had the same exact thought. I was thinking of calling the Dean of Admissions on Monday; if they knew they weren't going to have a program, they should have stated as such. I think their process was unethical; first, we got that email saying we'd know our status by 2/3, and then that suddenly turned into "We no longer have a program." Did you respond to their email?

I had the same exact thought. I was thinking of calling the Dean of Admissions on Monday; if they knew they weren't going to have a program, they should have stated as such. I think their process was unethical; first, we got that email saying we'd know our status by 2/3, and then that suddenly turned into "We no longer have a program." Did you respond to their email?

I completely agree. I sent a professional but rather aggressive email to the department indicating how they are further perpetuating social injustice by stealing money from applicants by assuming that we have the money to spend on an array of doctoral application, while also failing to consider those of us who have master's degrees already. It's only fair to give those applicants who cannot apply to any of the masters programs their money back, but it likely that they will be sending a generic response about the inability to do so.

It's frustating because they led us on for so long - namely, sending multiple emails assuring us that the applications were still being reviewed and they we would have a decision soon. The choice to not accept applicants in the first place should have been decided prior to the application process and indicated on the website during Fall 2014. However, at lesast to me, this further indicted that such a program would not be a good fit at all given how hypocritical it appears to be through these symbolic actions in relation to the goals of the field of counseling psychology.

I completely agree. I sent a professional but rather aggressive email to the department indicating how they are further perpetuating social injustice by stealing money from applicants by assuming that we have the money to spend on an array of doctoral application, while also failing to consider those of us who have master's degrees already. It's only fair to give those applicants who cannot apply to any of the masters programs their money back, but it likely that they will be sending a generic response about the inability to do so.

It's frustating because they led us on for so long - namely, sending multiple emails assuring us that the applications were still being reviewed and they we would have a decision soon. The choice to not accept applicants in the first place should have been decided prior to the application process and indicated on the website during Fall 2014. However, at lesast to me, this further indicted that such a program would not be a good fit at all given how hypocritical it appears to be through these symbolic actions in relation to the goals of the field of counseling psychology.

I'm not disagreeing that you're in a crappy situation. I once interviewed for a clinical program and was pretty much guaranteed a spot--so much so that even the POI himself told me (in so many words) that the only reason they invited the other applicant for my proposed lab was because he did work with them as an undergrad and so it was a courtesy invitation. We discussed very specific things before and during the interview that you should only, ethically, speak of with someone you've already accepted. I spent all the money to go to the interview, even declined an offer to interview at another school in favor of this school, and then after not saying jack to me until early April, I got an email from said POI saying that he decided to let another faculty member use his funding to take another student because they were new and didn't have the money to get as many students as they wanted--so, he wasn't taking anyone at all after all.

Know what my consolation was? If I wanted to apply again the next year, they'd then waive the application fee.

All this is to say that, again--I'm not disagreeing with you, but here's the response you're likely to get, given they've already offered you a free application to the Master's program: "It was your choice to apply. It's not our fault we can't predict the future, and we've offered you remediation in the best manner possible. Your application fee pays for the processing of your application, which is a service you received. Payment of the application fee guarantees nothing. Thanks for your admittedly aggressive email, though--we'll be sure to keep that in mind when you feel like applying again."

This is the same type of thing as the other thread about legal action for the CPSE. That is, it's best to choose your battles wisely. Also, the field in which someone works guarantees nothing about how fairly they treat others. Trust me--don't learn that one the hard way.

We didn't even get the option of having next year's PhD application fee waived. They merely threw us into the Master's pool (all of us), where nearly every person is accepted. And their Master's programs don't lead to licensure of any kind (very crafty wording on the website).

Also, none of us heard anything from POIs. We were all collectively TOLD that all of our apps were under review. Even the admin asst said this over the phone.

Not taking in a cohort for a year doesn't lay right with me. Given their stats, we'll see if the program is even around in 5 years...

Last edited:
Sorry this is late...

School Name: University of Akron
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/11/15
Type: Counseling
Track: N/A
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: 3/2
Additional Info: Informal dinner with current doctoral students the evening before the interview

Can anyone claim the CW Post offer on TGC? And if so, would you feel comfortable sharing your POI? Thanks!

Waiting on Pace School-Clinical and UAkron Counseling. Do you guys think they are completely done with interview invites?

Has anyone heard anything from Arizona State post-interview?

Nope, and from the looks of it in past years (solely based off TGC) we won't hear anything until approximately March 5. The waiting is the worst. Who did you apply to work with?

Waiting on Pace School-Clinical and UAkron Counseling. Do you guys think they are completely done with interview invites?
I received a Pace School-Clinical Child PsyD interview via email on Friday. There were two time slots available for 2/24 - I hope this helps, good luck!

I applied to Pace too, but I haven't heard from them. My 2nd time, and least year didn't go too well, so maybe they just don't like me...this while waiting game is so nerve-wracking. Is it bad if I contact Pace and ask for an update on my application status?

I applied to Pace too, but I haven't heard from them. My 2nd time, and least year didn't go too well, so maybe they just don't like me...this while waiting game is so nerve-wracking. Is it bad if I contact Pace and ask for an update on my application status?

I've heard extremely mixed reactions on doing this, but my own experience has been nothing but positive. I definitely wouldn't necessarily say it's "bad", especially if you keep it short and sweet when asking for an update on your status.

But again, that is based purely on anecdotal evidence.

ETA: When I say my experience has been positive, I don't mean that I got positive news every time I did this. I just mean the admissions secretary/POI responded kindly and I got the information I was seeking.

I also applied to the Pace PSYD program, my application status continues to say "in review"

I also applied to the Pace PSYD program, my application status continues to say "in review"

maybe they are prioritizing their interviews (ie inviting first-choice candidates first, then less-preferred). my Pace interview last year wasn't until early March, I believe.

Has anyone heard from Rutger's School Psychology PsyD? Their official interview day is next week, and my status is still "no decision." I'm about to give up. They invited me for an interview last year, so idk why they don't want me this year...maybe they also didn't like me *sigh* :(

School Name: St. John's University
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/17/15
Type: Clinical
Notified via: Mass Email
Interview Date: Morning or Afternoon 3/5, 3/10 or 3/11
Additional Info: Select choice of date and time. Select choice of POI. Out of town invitees are offered a phone interview.

I'm VERY excited! I didn't expect this :)

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard from Rutger's School Psychology PsyD? Their official interview day is next week, and my status is still "no decision." I'm about to give up. They invited me for an interview last year, so idk why they don't want me this year...maybe they also didn't like me *sigh* :(

Go check your status online. Mine was updated to "Rejected" last week. No letter or email, so I'm glad I thought to check. Good luck!