2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes but they are saying the increase is abnormally large.
+ 1. This was said on my interviews as well. There was a huge jump this year and a lot more people applied EARLY.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So if we don't hear from a school despite being complete almost 2 months ago, should we just assume bad news? :(

I wouldn't throw in the towel, bro. I've heard of many people (who I'm sure would corroborate my statement) who got IIs months after completion.

Here to corroborate. I was complete at Dartmouth early July, just got an II last week! Until you're rejected, keep the faith.

Reactions: 6 users
I appreciate the optimism man, but it seems like this particular cycle is ultra competitive due to the new MCAT changes.
Maybe so, but not everyone gets reviewed in order. This means that until you're out of the running, you're in.
P.S - I'm a chick ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
NVM, I was accepted the day after posting this. Sorry, I guess my neuroticism was maxed out on the 14th........good luck to everyone else here! If there is one thing that will stick with me from this process it is the heartbreaking thoughts of well qualified people unfortunately not getting in.

Last edited:
Already heard back from a school post interview, and it was a wait list. I feel like this decision is gonna set the trend for the rest of my season, and I will be wait listed by all the other schools I interviewed at. My confidence is pretty much shot for any later interviews at this point. Everyone I meet at these interviews already have PhDs or have been working medical research jobs for years. I don't even know why I have gotten any interviews in the first place.

Don't lose hope! You have great stats and will do well. Don't let one school's decision bring you down. Most candidates don't have PhDs or many years of work experience in research.

Already heard back from a school post interview, and it was a wait list. I feel like this decision is gonna set the trend for the rest of my season, and I will be wait listed by all the other schools I interviewed at. My confidence is pretty much shot for any later interviews at this point. Everyone I meet at these interviews already have PhDs or have been working medical research jobs for years. I don't even know why I have gotten any interviews in the first place.
Don't give up! I have zero research experience, and I still got interviews. Having a PhD or medical research job experience is NOT a requirement for med school!

Reactions: 2 users

I wouldn't worry about that. Unless you're applying for MD-PhD, and sometimes even then, not having research isn't going to kill your app. You still got an interview. That counts.

I probably will get a lot of stones throw at here. But seriously if you have "s" after your "interview" in the number of MD interview (plural), then you really have no right to rant about being "panic" mode, especially it is still very early in the cycle and a lot (or should I say) majority of ppl having none.

Reactions: 3 users
I probably will get a lot of stones throw at here. But seriously if you have "s" after your "interview" in the number of MD interview (plural), then you really have no right to rant about being "panic" mode, especially it is still very early in the cycle and a lot (or should I say) majority of ppl having none.
Excuse me? Last time I checked, this is a public forum where anyone is allowed to post within reason (aka not violating TOS). You may have the right to tell us not to post here, but you certainly do NOT have the authority to tell us we aren't allowed here. It doesn't matter how many or how few interviews anyone has. Everyone has a right to feel panicky if they truly feel that way. I have certainly felt a few moments of lost confidence and total panic even after going to a few interviews already, and I bet my SDN colleages @godawg300, @kthxbai, and @m.a.r.r. have also felt the same. Receiving interviews does not always eliminate all traces of one's panic, just as taking pain meds in the ED does not always eliminate all of one's pain.

Reactions: 8 users
TOMORROW MIDNIGHT T_T

I have knots in my stomach just thinking about a rejection or even being waitlisted.... i don't know how i'll be able to last till May if i'm on the waitlist...

dreaaaaaadddd

Call me crazy, but after some research on MSAR (and a lotta free time on my hand lol) I believe that school was probably trying to protect their yield and WL you because your stats were so high!

TOMORROW MIDNIGHT T_T

I have knots in my stomach just thinking about a rejection or even being waitlisted.... i don't know how i'll be able to last till May if i'm on the waitlist...

dreaaaaaadddd
+++++Positive thoughts +++++++ you will get in!

Well, one can always panic when one realizes that interviews don't always mean acceptances (I go by the 4:1 rule personally, which has been about right in my experiences) and that desired dream schools are either rejecting or leaving one hanging when others who have lower stats/EC's/etcs and/or later complete dates are getting interviews (which is the case at least for me).

Members don't see this ad :)

The majority of people that interview will be rejected/waitlisted. Most schools can admit anywhere from 30-60 percent of those that interview and many top tier schools admit closer to 30 percent. Anyhow, everyone can panic for their own reasons. It can be equally disheartening to get WL super early in the cycle when you hear about people interviewing way later than you and getting in. I'm trying to stay calm and not panic too much. I wish everyone the best of luck (those that have already interviewed and those still waiting for their first interviews).

I had 2 interviews last cycle. I received those interviews very early on in the cycle, but then got nothing for the rest of the cycle. I don't know if I would say that the "majority" have none yet.

Last edited:
*Takes out bowl with 3 leeches fed of royal blood (LizzyM's blood); approaches burning brazier.*

"
The usurper, Boston University."
*Throws a leech into the fire*

"
The usurper, Georgetown University."
*Throws another leech into the fire*

"The usurper, Cooper Medical School."
*Throws the last leech into the fire*

*Watches the leeches writhe and burst; stares silently into the fire*

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
*Takes out bowl with 3 leeches fed of royal blood; approaches burning brazier.*

"
The usurper, Boston University."
*Throws a leech into the fire*

"
The usurper, Georgetown University."
*Throws another leech into the fire*

"The usurper, Cooper Medical School."
*Throws the last leech into the fire*

*Watches the leeches writhe and burst; stares at the fire in dead silence*

LOL. Common Lord of Light!

There are a lot of reasons why people panic and just because they don't align with what you would panic about doesn't mean they don't have the right.

For example, I've gone on several interviews and have 2 DO acceptances, but I'm still panicking because there is a very real chance that I will have to move across the country because my state school hasn't shown me any love. My family, SO, and friends are all here and for personal reasons, it's important for me to stay close to home. Do I not have the right to panic? I believe I do, and I believe if anyone is unhappy with their current circumstances they have the right to voice their concern here!

Reactions: 4 users
are we out of the woods yet?

Tough year to apply later in the cycle :/ Been complete over a month now and haven't heard anything...bah! Panic setting in.

Tough year to apply later in the cycle :/ Been complete over a month now and haven't heard anything...bah! Panic setting in.

This week lots of decisions are coming out, which means people will probably drop interviews. Wait a few weeks before panicking lol

Excuse me? Last time I checked, this is a public forum where anyone is allowed to post within reason (aka not violating TOS). You may have the right to tell us not to post here, but you certainly do NOT have the authority to tell us we aren't allowed here. It doesn't matter how many or how few interviews anyone has. Everyone has a right to feel panicky if they truly feel that way. I have certainly felt a few moments of lost confidence and total panic even after going to a few interviews already, and I bet my SDN colleages @godawg300, @kthxbai, and @m.a.r.r. have also felt the same. Receiving interviews does not always eliminate all traces of one's panic, just as taking pain meds in the ED does not always eliminate all of one's pain.

@feeling-dizzy Your bullturdy post smells as foul as the belief that rich people have nothing to worry about. Do yourself a favor and consider all sides of a circumstance before telling my hard working colleagues that their concerns are meaningless because of the number of IIs they've received. If anything, the more interviews you've got the more unstable you'd feel on your feet.

What if you don't get in with all these IIs? That makes reapplication, should you choose it, that much more difficult in light of how close you were before. A fall is always progressively more painful the higher you climb.

So let's agree on one thing before you let your callousness run free: don't. If you don't have anything encouraging to say when we're ALL so obviously on edge, sit on your fingers lest they betray your pettiness.

Reactions: 5 users
@feeling-dizzy Your bullturdy post smells as foul as the belief that rich people have nothing to worry about. Do yourself a favor and consider all sides of a circumstance before telling my hard working colleagues that their concerns are meaningless because of the number of IIs they've received. If anything, the more interviews you've got the more unstable you'd feel on your feet.

What if you don't get in with all these IIs? That makes reapplication, should you choose it, that much more difficult in light of how close you were before. A fall is always progressively more painful the higher you climb.

So let's agree on one thing before you let your callousness run free: don't. If you don't have anything encouraging to say when we're ALL so obviously on edge, sit on your fingers lest they betray your pettiness.

Very true, sadly.

Hoping to hear some good news after 10/15!

but actually, when is it time to worry a bit?
1 II, 3 rejections, ~20 silences, been complete for 2 months about.
i go to a top university and my classes are filled with people babbling about all of their interviews. and its so difficult to feel happy about just my 1! its not "a super top" school, but it's my dream! i almost feel like i have to have many interviews just to feel like i fit in.
i can't wait for this to be over so i can finally have a normal conversation with the people in my classes again...

but actually, when is it time to worry a bit?
1 II, 3 rejections, ~20 silences, been complete for 2 months about.
i go to a top university and my classes are filled with people babbling about all of their interviews. and its so difficult to feel happy about just my 1! its not "a super top" school, but it's my dream! i almost feel like i have to have many interviews just to feel like i fit in.
i can't wait for this to be over so i can finally have a normal conversation with the people in my classes again...

I know it's hard, but don't let other people get to you. I know people with 7+ interviews which makes me feel really small, but you just have to stop comparing yourself to others. Med school will be the "Creme de la creme" and the competition will only get worse, so try to practice now. (Don't mean to sound preachy, I feel like Selena sometimes over people's II and relative success **yay once upon a time**)

For worrying, I would say late November to December. Then you have six months to really prep for another cycle. But then again, I know people who've interviewed feb and got in right away, so it can all boil down to a crap shoot

I know it's hard, but don't let other people get to you. I know people with 7+ interviews which makes me feel really small, but you just have to stop comparing yourself to others. Med school will be the "Creme de la creme" and the competition will only get worse, so try to practice now. (Don't mean to sound preachy, I feel like Selena sometimes over people's II and relative success **yay once upon a time**)

For worrying, I would say late November to December. Then you have six months to really prep for another cycle. But then again, I know people who've interviewed feb and got in right away, so it can all boil down to a crap shoot
you're so right!! i'm usually one to be happy in my own accomplishments, but this is a whole new level for me (and I'm guessing for most of you?)
i really just want to get into the school i have an II for and be DONE with this!

Reactions: 7 users
So... can we expect a flood of interviews after today? Has that happened before?

Did a quick tally. 14 pre-interview rejections. At this point silence seems better than the alternative.
Medical schools -----> :diebanana:<------me

Did a quick tally. 14 pre-interview rejections. At this point silence seems better than the alternative.
Medical schools -----> :diebanana:<------me

Three fantastic interviews, though :) Pick up that dead banana, my friend.

Last edited:
I'm gonna drop 8 interviews so I hope some peeps get some.

Reactions: 20 users
Dropping late-November interviews at Dartmouth and Phoenix. Fly free my little pretties!

Hope one of you folks get my spot. :biglove: Never thought I'd be in a position to turn down IIs, but this cycle has cost me an obscene amount of time/money... I cannot rationalize spending more when I have been fortunate enough to gain some acceptances.

@godawg300 you are going to be making waves in the interview circuit with a drop like that! Your wallet must have given a huge sigh of relief.

Reactions: 13 users
Dropping late-November interviews at Dartmouth and Phoenix. Fly free my little pretties!

Hope one of you folks get my spot. :biglove: Never thought I'd be in a position to turn down IIs, but this cycle has cost me an obscene amount of time/money... I cannot rationalize spending more when I have been fortunate enough to gain some acceptances.

@godawg300 you are going to be making waves in the interview circuit with a drop like that! Your wallet must have given a huge sigh of relief.
Giving up an EVMS and MCW! I hope one of you get them :) Glad I can stop spending money!

I've already spent so much doing 12 interviews and flying from the west coast. I'm just done at this point. I got into med school so I hope some people get spots at the places I'm dropping. My wallet is negative so this will def be a huge relief.

Reactions: 6 users
Canceled Hofstra for late November, hope it goes to one of you all!

Still waiting on a couple of schools later this month. Feeling low :(

I hope you guys all get acceptances very soon so that you can withdraw from interviews and hopefully open up a spot for me :D it's a win-win!

I just want to say that I admire everyone's generosity in canceling interview slots for those who have yet to interview. I will (hopefully) be joining that boat in the near future as well. Congrats everyone today!!

Reactions: 11 users
I just want to say that I admire everyone's generosity in canceling interview slots for those who have yet to interview. I will (hopefully) be joining that boat in the near future as well. Congrats everyone today!!

+1
Can we start an awareness program for this? The economy is rough this year and it would be really nice if the bourgeoisie don't play the "gotta catch em all" game ;) Trickle down effect and all, ya know. We average applicants have mouths to feed over in the projects.

I will do the same...if I get the chance to do the same.....

As a Texas applicant, who has to wait for November 15 before acceptances start coming, seeing all the celebrating is making me paranoid. I've been on one interview (to my top choice) and have two more scheduled, one for a week from today and one for a month from now. I know it's silly to panic when I have three II's thusfar but I can't shake the doubts in my head. For one, my application was a bit late; submitted August 10th. It also doesn't help that I never got around to filling out the AMCAS to apply to Baylor, and now I'm really regretting it. It's an amazing school and I let being lazy stop me from having another chance at an acceptance.

Sigh. I have never considered myself a "neurotic premed" until now. But for something so life-changing and important, how can I not be neurotic?

anyone else go to an undegrad with a top MD program and everyone around you has an II there except for you....its really quite fun -___-

Trust me, it's a whole other circle of hell to be a non-trad who knows no one else who has gone through the process. My sense of what is "normal" is SDN!

Reactions: 13 users
Trust me, it's a whole other circle of hell to be a non-trad who knows no one else who has gone through the process. My sense of what is "normal" is SDN!
Right there with you, pal. But, maybe we can fumble through the dark together.