2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got secondaries from UCSF and UCLA, does that imply that there weren't any red flags in my primary app? I haven't heard anything back from 20 schools. :(

Probably nothing wrong with your primary; however, they do send secondaries without having looked at LORs (I got em before my LORs arrived). Not sure if they do look at LORs if you have them in though.

Members don't see this ad.

I got secondaries from UCSF and UCLA, does that imply that there weren't any red flags in my primary app? I haven't heard anything back from 20 schools. :(

Likely not. It could just be in the Bermuda Triangle aka lost in the sea of applications they get. After secondaries are sent in, it's a crapshoot even with high stats.

Sigh wondering what is wrong with my app. Got secondaries from ucsf , ucla , ucsd, and uci. Sitting on 2 holds and 7 rejections. :( no II yet :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh wondering what is wrong with my app. Got secondaries from ucsf , ucla , ucsd, and uci. Sitting on 2 holds and 7 rejections. :( no II yet :(

I feel you. I got secondaries from the same place...so far I have 5 rejections and two holds (one from UCSD). It's still early though. Maybe after this month when people get their acceptances there will be some space made for interviews. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
I feel you. I got secondaries from the same place...so far I have 5 rejections and two holds (one from UCSD). It's still early though. Maybe after this month when people get their acceptances there will be some space made for interviews. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing we're all Cali applicants which would explain a lot. Sort of makes you want to be like all these major companies and move to Texas.

I'm guessing we're all Cali applicants which would explain a lot. Sort of makes you want to be like all these major companies and move to Texas.

Texas residents have their many public schools, which is great, but they get screwed over by the OOS private schools because the Texas in-state tuition is so low. From what I've heard, many of those schools assume that somebody from Texas will generally attend one of their state schools because of the low cost, so they won't offer admission unless there is also scholarship money going to that student. Makes sense of course, but admission to one of the Texas schools isn't guaranteed. Cali is notoriously hard on premeds, but Texas isn't much better IMO because many schools just assume you'll stay in Texas.

So I'm relieved to finally hear back from one school but also starting to enter panic mode: My one II was sent to my parents email (it's listed as an emergency contact on my primary app) but never sent to my email. On top of that, the first date available was in January.

And then 15 other silent crickets complete between mid-August to early October (kicking myself for taking so long with the secondaries)

Texas residents have their many public schools, which is great, but they get screwed over by the OOS private schools because the Texas in-state tuition is so low. From what I've heard, many of those schools assume that somebody from Texas will generally attend one of their state schools because of the low cost, so they won't offer admission unless there is also scholarship money going to that student. Makes sense of course, but admission to one of the Texas schools isn't guaranteed. Cali is notoriously hard on premeds, but Texas isn't much better IMO because many schools just assume you'll stay in Texas.

Here's the thing, though: Texas has 8 MD schools and a DO school to boot. We've got well over 1000 medical school seats available every year. It may be hard to go out of state as a Texas resident (which is why I only applied IS) but with so many options and the law requiring that 90% of matriculates be residents, it's easier to get accepted IS here than in any other state.

Yes, if you really want to go to school outside of Texas, being a Texas resident is a downside. But if your goal is just to get a medical degree however you can get it, living in Texas is a great benefit.

(I realize I'm not telling you anything you don't know, just offering a perspective from a Texas resident who has no problem staying in Texas.)

My one II was sent to my parents email (it's listed as an emergency contact on my primary app) but never sent to my email.

Hm, that's a bit concerning. I wonder why they'd send it to your emergency contact? Have you received secondary emails from schools on your primary email?

Texas resident here. I applied to all state schools except Baylor, because I'd have to fill out AMCAS as well as TMDSAS. Only one II so far, and it's after November 15th, when we start getting prematch offers. I applied late, so it's plenty possible I'll get more, but I'm still supremely nervous. Oh well, there's always next year, with two more schools opening.

Well I'm ****ed so I'll jump on here. 3.9, 32, decent ec's. Complete in August and silence from all schools. It's my own fault for being complete so late but there were reasons for this. Idk if I wanna reapply next year and go through all this BS again.

Well I'm ****** so I'll jump on here. 3.9, 32, decent ec's. Complete in August and silence from all schools. It's my own fault for being complete so late but there were reasons for this. Idk if I wanna reapply next year and go through all this BS again.

Idk that August was that late. I was complete at most schools early August with some at late July. Did you apply broadly? I would just sit tight. I know people are dropping Interviews and I have already dropped several myself. I'm sure spots will open up.

Well I'm ****** so I'll jump on here. 3.9, 32, decent ec's. Complete in August and silence from all schools. It's my own fault for being complete so late but there were reasons for this. Idk if I wanna reapply next year and go through all this BS again.
This season is not over yet, but even if it were, you did NOT do all of this just to quit after this cycle. Pick yourself up and get back in the race, with an early app next time. Btw, when I'm saying this, I'm also reminding myself.;)

Members don't see this ad :)

August isn't really late, especially if you were waiting for your committee letter to arrive. You should be more concerned about your app, LORs, etc, if you don't receive any IIs.

Idk that August was that late. I was complete at most schools early August with some at late July. Did you apply broadly? I would just sit tight. I know people are dropping Interviews and I have already dropped several myself. I'm sure spots will open up.

I only applied to 10 schools (all I could afford) but no reaches and all places I felt I was a good fit for. I appreciate people like you that drop interviews to give others a shot so thanks.

This season is not over yet, but even if it were, you did NOT do all of this just to quit after this cycle. Pick yourself up and get back in the race, with an early app next time. Btw, when I'm saying this, I'm also reminding myself.;)

It just hard you know. I feel like i'm not going in the right direction in life. I absolutely hate my job, barely make enough to get by, and took it and stuck with it to strengthen my app. Screwed up my whole life these last 2 years to make this possible and it still didn't work out. Just so tired of living like this. I just want to move on to something.

August isn't really late, especially if you were waiting for your committee letter to arrive. You should be more concerned about your app, LORs, etc, if you don't receive any IIs.

I hope you are right. I had my app reviewed by my PI and by people on the admissions committee here at the med school we are affiliated with (which I didn't apply to) and they don't know why it has gone like this either. My advisor told me my letters aren't an issue either so idk. Probably just needed to apply earlier as a white guy with average stats.

Idk about you, but 10 seems super low. I'm poor, but unfortunately made too much to qualify for FAP and took out loans and credit cards to apply to 30ish schools. I would say 10 is really on the low side. I would have applied to more schools...but maybe that's just me being from CA.

I only applied to 10 schools (all I could afford) but no reaches and all places I felt I was a good fit for. I appreciate people like you that drop interviews to give others a shot so thanks.

I would agree that 10 is a relatively low number. I applied to 32 schools and only heard from 12 of them (rejections/IIs). Still have silence from 20 - half of which I feel are not reaches at all. With med schools, you never know, so you gotta maximize your chances by applying to many schools.

Idk about you, but 10 seems super low. I'm poor, but unfortunately made too much to qualify for FAP and took out loans and credit cards to apply to 30ish schools. I would say 10 is really on the low side. I would have applied to more schools...but maybe that's just me being from CA.
I would agree that 10 is a relatively low number. I applied to 32 schools and only heard from 12 of them (rejections/IIs). Still have silence from 20 - half of which I feel are not reaches at all. With med schools, you never know, so you gotta maximize your chances by applying to many schools.
I agree with both of you, in retrospect. I thought I could get into just one of the schools but I guess not. Should have gone into the negative to pay for more.

I had most of my submissions in by mid august (2-3 in early sept), but I submitted 42 secondaries. So far I have heard back from 8 schools.

I agree with both of you, in retrospect. I thought I could get into just one of the schools but I guess not. Should have gone into the negative to pay for more.
I think it's still pretty early, you might have several IIs still to come. It seems like that while some schools are scheduling into January, most are still interviewing in November. Thus, I think there may be still hope :)... But I know how you feel, complete in Aug LizzyM 80, no IIs ...hopefully they're on their way for us.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup I am most definitely a Cali applicant. I don't understand, I thought the majority of the UCs would want Cali residents. Why is it so bad being from Cali?

Yup I am most definitely a Cali applicant. I don't understand, I thought the majority of the UCs would want Cali residents. Why is it so bad being from Cali?

Because there's too many of us both who stayed in-state for undergrad and out of state but kept residency.

California is an extremely populous state. There are more pre-medical students than the schools can handle to take, not including the fantastic OOS applicants that would love to study in sunny, warm California.

It just hard you know. I feel like i'm not going in the right direction in life. I absolutely hate my job, barely make enough to get by, and took it and stuck with it to strengthen my app. Screwed up my whole life these last 2 years to make this possible and it still didn't work out. Just so tired of living like this. I just want to move on to something.

I know how you feel. I quit my job, gave up my car, and blew out my bank account in order to apply this year, and I am still waiting to hear back. So I'm not too sure if I can handle this process again either, but hopefully something good will happen soon for both of us. Sometimes I think I would be happier just giving it all up and living in the middle of the amazon with the bare necessities, but these types of thoughts are just the byproduct of frustration. Just hang in there. We owe it to ourselves to give this a fair shot.

I think it's still pretty early, you might have several IIs still to come. It seems like that while some schools are scheduling into January, most are still interviewing in November. Thus, I think there may be still hope :)... But I know how you feel, complete in Aug LizzyM 80, no IIs ...hopefully they're on their way for us.

I am surprised you have not heard back, especially with such a great LizzyM score. Are you a low GPA high MCAT applicant? In any case, hang in there. The cycle is far from over!

I know how you feel. You are not alone. I have been out of school for the past two years, living at home, and working at an unrewarding job. I still have no interviews and worried that I might have to go through this again another year older. I see my friends moving on in their lives, while my family keeps wondering what I am doing with my life. But honestly, I can't imagine myself pursuing a different path. Being a physician is all that we have ever wanted and if need be we will try again next year another year wiser.

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experiences of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired and success achieved."~ Helen Keller

I am surprised you have not heard back, especially with such a great LizzyM score. Are you a low GPA high MCAT applicant? In any case, hang in there. The cycle is far from over!

You can't really have a LizzyM score of 80 with a low GPA.

Let's say 40 mcat, that leaves 40 points from somewhere....probably a 4.0.

Reactions: 3 users
You can't really have a LizzyM score of 80 with a low GPA.

Let's say 40 mcat, that leaves 40 points from somewhere....probably a 4.0.

Thanks for pointing that out. My mistake. Then that is even more surprising.

Finally got my first II for this cycle. Don't give up yet!

Reactions: 15 users
Thanks for pointing that out. My mistake. Then that is even more surprising.
I thought I would have heard something too. I'm starting to get nervous that maybe there is a red flag in my application but I'm trying to stay positive (>3.95 and 40MCAT) I hope nothings wrong.

Like this post if you still have no IIs as of now. I need some ointment to mend the wounds of my broken heart.

Reactions: 5 users
This applies mostly towards the high-stat applicants who have gotten none/very few II's so far. I was in a very similar place last cycle. Around this time of the cycle (and for several months after), I kept on wondering what was wrong with my application, since I didn't get any II's from any schools that were even remotely selective towards giving them out. I thought that I was a great applicant since I had great stats and research, and some volunteering/shadowing.

At least for me, the biggest weakness on paper which prevented me from getting II's were my limited shadowing experiences, which in turn meant that med schools weren't sure if I knew what I was getting myself into. After shadowing extensively prior to this cycle (along with getting everything turned in earlier, and writing better secondary responses), I've been fortunate enough to have gotten a good number of II's to pretty good places, and to have already been notified of acceptance to a top school on the 15th (not trying to brag, just trying to demonstrate a cause and noticeable effect).

... only on here would you find a thread full of narcissists panicking about not hearing anything in the month of October.

I do not know of any schools that are not selective in giving out interviews. I also doubt lack of shadowing explains many of the situations on here.

Oh and thank you for your valuable contribution future oncologist.

Reactions: 4 users
I do not know of any schools that are not selective in giving out interviews. I also doubt lack of shadowing explains many of the situations on here.

Oh and thank you for your valuable contribution future oncologist.
Sorry, I meant that some schools are much less selective than others; there are plenty of schools who interview the majority of their IS candidates (in my case, I had only received interviews from my IS public schools)
As examples (taken from MSAR):
Indiana University: 78%
East Carolina University: 52%
University of North Carolina: 56%
Medical University of South Carolina: 59%
University of South Carolina: 62%
University of Nebraska: 87%
University of South Dakota: 95%
University of North Dakota: 96%
Marshall University: 64%
Louisiana State University: 54%
There are more, but I feel that I've made my point.

... only on here would you find a thread full of narcissists panicking about not hearing anything in the month of October.

Congrats on getting into med school, but for the rest of us who are still stuck in limbo at the moment, it's pretty normal to panic/worry/wonder. There's nothing narcissistic about wanting to hear back from the schools that we applied to.

Reactions: 9 users
Sorry, I meant that some schools are much less selective than others; there are plenty of schools who interview the majority of their IS candidates (in my case, I had only received interviews from my IS public schools)
As examples (taken from MSAR):
Indiana University: 78%
East Carolina University: 52%
University of North Carolina: 56%
Medical University of South Carolina: 59%
University of South Carolina: 62%
University of Nebraska: 87%
University of South Dakota: 95%
University of North Dakota: 96%
Marshall University: 64%
Louisiana State University: 54%
There are more, but I feel that I've made my point.

Fair enough, I guess I just have a California perspective. Which is my point, your example is unlikely to match everyone else's situation.

I'm being kind of hypercritical. Won't apply to everyone but maybe it will help someone:)

First of all dude October is essentially over so I don't think it is completely inappropriate to freaking out about a lack of interviews at this point. Obviously there is tons of time so people should stay optimistic but watching others get acceptances as you wait for an interview is stressful.

Reactions: 6 users
First of all dude October is essentially over so I don't think it is completely inappropriate to freaking out about a lack of interviews at this point. Obviously there is tons of time so people should stay optimistic but watching others get acceptances as you wait for an interview is stressful.

I can totally understand how people who haven't received any IIs are feeling. I've only had 2, and while I'm certainly very grateful to have received those opportunities, it's hard when you hear about people getting 10+ interviews and multiple acceptances (on and off SDN).

There have also been people who have said that many of the interview spots have already been filled. Either way saying anyone who is worried is a narcissist is a d-bag move.

Hello fellow panickers, I'm a TX resident 0 for 6 on in-state MD interviews (did not apply to SW or Baylor) with 3.8 GPA and 30 MCAT. What the heck is going on??

Main EC's:

Cookie-cutter volunteering in and out of a hospital- enough for it not to be a strike against me, but not enough to stand out
Good research- published once in undergraduate research journal, another project still in the works
Shadowing- 40 hours at an orthopedic practice
Leadership- a whole lot within my fraternity
Other- social events, club baseball, hobbies, tutoring/mentoring underprivileged kids

Several people have told me that my personal statement was very well-written including my committee letter interviewer and an interviewer at a DO school, but when I went to meet with my advisor just yesterday he told me that it's likely that although it was well-written, my personal statement was about sports and I only shadowed at an orthopedic practice (shadowing is hard to get, i took what i could get) so ADCOMs may look at me as a gunner for orthopedics which my MCAT can't back up. What do yall think? Is that enough to disqualify me, a TX resident, from a single interview from any in-state school? Or is it something else that schools don't like about my app? Please keep in mind that TX interview invites start dwindling around middle Novemeber so it is getting kind of late.

Last edited:
Yes. Hopefully I would put some sense into some people that it's ONLY OCTOBER.
It can never hurt to start creating a plan b. My last II last cycle was late August. Part of me wishes that I knew to start panicking by October rather than hold onto stubborn hope for another 2-3 months.
EDIT: And by panicking, I mean calmly re-evaluating my candidacy and applications.

Reactions: 2 users

It's the *end* of October, nearly November. Still early, but it's understandable that people would worry. It's rude to call them narcissists. Especially if you already have II's or you're already in medical school. You have no idea how it feels.

By insulting them? Yeah, it's relatively early, but calling everyone a narcissist is just rude (not to mention it's a baseless assumption). Try to get your point across without insulting everybody; I assure you it's possible.

Reactions: 2 users
The number of first time applicants to medical school increased this year to 36,697. That's up 2.7% from last year. That's less than would have been speculated given the increase in the number of applications at individual schools.

That's good news. It appears that the increase is from people applying to more schools rather than a huge increase in applicants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 20 users