2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for the inside scoop, @gyngyn! I am wondering, hasn't the AMCAS application deadline still not passed for some schools? Is 36,697 the final total?

Here are the deadlines I can find: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/participating_schools/
That figure is from the AAMC today...
Ooh, that figure is listed as 2014. Could it be final data from this year's entering class?!
I'll call them.

Members don't see this ad.

Ooh, that figure is listed as 2014. Could it be final data from this year's entering class?!

Ha ha, thanks for following up--I was just about to post wondering the same thing. I think I found the press release we're talking about:

https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/newsreleases/411636/10282014.html

"The number of students who enrolled in the nation’s medical schools for the first time in 2014 has reached a new high, totaling 20,343, according to data released today by the AAMC (Association of American Medical Colleges). The total number of applicants to medical school also rose by 3.1 percent, to a record 49,480. First-time applicants—an important indicator of interest in medicine—increased by 2.7 percent to 36,697."

Reactions: 2 users
Ha ha, thanks for following up--I was just about to post wondering the same thing. I think I found the press release we're talking about:

"The number of students who enrolled in the nation’s medical schools for the first time in 2014 has reached a new high, totaling 20,343, according to data released today by the AAMC (Association of American Medical Colleges). The total number of applicants to medical school also rose by 3.1 percent, to a record 49,480. First-time applicants—an important indicator of interest in medicine—increased by 2.7 percent to 36,697."
The woman who wrote the press release went on vacation as soon as it went out!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang. So it could, in fact, be an unprecedented increase in the number of applicants after all.

I'd have to be ready for retirement to go work at the AAMC!
You think I'm a woman?
I think I may have mentally assigned a few of the SDN adcoms the wrong gender as well...

... only on here would you find a thread full of narcissists panicking about not hearing anything in the month of October.
Emotional invalidation...purely from an interests in psychology standpoint I wonder if you suffer a lot of those in your childhood and it became a habit to do so in your adult life?
I was panicking back in Aug when I had a week of silence between IIs. If anyone tells me it was unjustified, I'd flip my spoon full of chocolate ice cream which I was constantly on during the waiting game at him/her. Panicking is a feeling, there is no right or wrong, feelings just exist. Please contribute to the Internet community here by saying something to help people deal with their hard emotions, not to provoke more negative ones.

Reactions: 5 users
You think I'm a woman?
Ugh...ahem...sorry sir....actually I do remember now there was this one time you corrected another person's assumption of you being a "her"...

Reactions: 1 users
I'm joining the ranks of those who have yet to receive an interview. Most of my secondaries were in before the close of August, but my MCAT retake wasn't back until September 2nd.

I know it sucks, guys.... in fact, it sucks a whole hell of a lot. But, just know that there are tens of thousands of people just like you, eagerly awaiting their chance to sit in front of admissions. Hang in there :)

You think I'm a woman?

With all due respect, do you think it is offensive to be mistaken for a woman [on the internet]?

With all due respect, do you think it is offensive to be mistaken for a woman [on the internet]?
I just associate the female gender with the patient population of obgyn without giving thoughts to the practitioners. Actually most of my Gyns have been guys.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's nothing. The number of available medical school spots increased by 0.0002%. It's bridging the gap!

Emotional invalidation...purely from an interests in psychology standpoint I wonder if you suffer a lot of those in your childhood and it became a habit to do so in your adult life?
I was panicking back in Aug when I had a week of silence between IIs. If anyone tells me it was unjustified, I'd flip my spoon full of chocolate ice cream which I was constantly on during the waiting game at him/her. Panicking is a feeling, there is no right or wrong, feelings just exist. Please contribute to the Internet community here by saying something to help people deal with their hard emotions, not to provoke more negative ones.
It was meant to be a joke that people took too personally. My bad if I offended you. But if you're going to evaluate my entire life based on two sentences I posted, then I'll let you know that 1. you're actually wrong, Sherlock and 2. if you surround yourself with a bunch of other adults that are panicking about the same thing, you're only going to be more stressed. Yes, panicking is a feeling. Thank you for pointing that out. I get the feeling of I will never get in. I might as well get another degree to go down another path. I was in your seat 3 years ago. But you know what I did then? I made the decision to let out my frustrations and stress via exercise and eating healthy. If you make the decision to sit on the computer, eat ice cream, and sit in a forum board that promotes unnatural panicking and frustration, you do you. But I won't feel sorry for you.

To be fair, that number doesn't include applicants who didn't fill out the AMCAS, like myself. I only applied to the schools on the TMDSAS, and considering the size of Texas, I imagine there's a significant number of others who are the same!

It was meant to be a joke that people took too personally. My bad if I offended you. But if you're going to evaluate my entire life based on two sentences I posted, then I'll let you know that 1. you're actually wrong, Sherlock and 2. if you surround yourself with a bunch of other adults that are panicking about the same thing, you're only going to be more stressed. Yes, panicking is a feeling. Thank you for pointing that out. I get the feeling of I will never get in. I might as well get another degree to go down another path. I was in your seat 3 years ago. But you know what I did then? I made the decision to let out my frustrations and stress via exercise and eating healthy. If you make the decision to sit on the computer, eat ice cream, and sit in a forum board that promotes unnatural panicking and frustration, you do you. But I won't feel sorry for you.

Last edited:
I can see that you are probably more on the joking side, even that, I think it'd be nice to hold off on teasing people who are stressed. Actually talking about anxiety, expressing concern verbally and sharing it with people who are in similar situation have their benefits. This is why we have all the AA meetings and support groups. This is why there is SDN and panic thread. And prop to you for having the motivation to get out of the blue. Give others the time to do that without talking down to them would be a kind thing to do.

Everyone j-j-just relax! Med school is tearing us apart!

EnSCYXl.gif

Reactions: 3 users
From August to early November:

giphy.gif

After November:
giphy.gif

Reactions: 8 users
In December mornings you be searching for your phone to check for possible IIs like:
panicking-cat.gif

And... January be like:
Community.gif

Reactions: 8 users
Just got rejected from the only school in my home state. I have had one other interview and one other coming up. Silence from most schools. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't starting to worry. :(

Just got rejected from the only school in my home state. I have had one other interview and one other coming up. Silence from most schools. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't starting to worry. :(
No worries. I got rejected from my state school twice (reapp) and even though it sucks, it just means you'll have new and different experiences. You have two other interviews so far, so you're ahead in the game. Focus on doing well on the next one! Best of luck

Reactions: 3 users

Maybe I read it wrong ,you were rejected post-interview? If so that is extra sucky. I was waitlisted after my first interview, and am waiting on a decision for my second interview/last hope to stay in state. At least we have interviews though. I check my e-mail constantly as is, I would be losing it if I had none. All of us will get in eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Join the boat. I'm all but giving up on my hope to stay in-state, seeing as this cycle is worse than the first time.

MD:
Rejected:
-Rosalind Franklin
-Oakland Beaumont
-Arizona (Phoenix)
-Virginia Commonwealth
-Eastern Virginia
-Cooper
-Missouri
-Tulane

Have 18 MD that I haven't heard from yet.

D.O.:

Interviews:
-Campbell (accepted)
-LECOM Seton Hill
-LECOM Bradenton
-Lincoln Memorial
-Kansas City (interviewed,waiting for decision)
-Des Moines (interviewed,waiting for decision)
-Alabama (cancelled interview)
-Western( interviewed, waiting for decision)

D.O. Rejections:

AT Still Arizona

Haven't heard from 5 schools yet.
If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

Joining the panic thread! Finished all my secondaries back in July... have yet to hear from anywhere :nailbiting:

Anybody remember the thread where they asked if you'd eat a poop hotdog to get into your top choice? When I first saw that, I immediately thought "what a neurotic POV" but now my first thought is "would anybody know about it?"

Kidding of course

I think...

Reactions: 7 users
The number of first time applicants to medical school increased this year to 36,697. That's up 2.7% from last year. That's less than would have been speculated given the increase in the number of applications at individual schools.

That's good news. It appears that the increase is from people applying to more schools rather than a huge increase in applicants.
I predict that this year there will be WL movements at some of the schools that may not have touched their WL for years. Every where I go (I've only been interviewing at schools around the same tier), it's the SAME people. Everyone is applying to everywhere.
But don't hold me to my words...my prediction is as empirical as it gets.:whoa:

I predict that this year there will be WL movements at some of the schools that may not have touched their WL for years. Every where I go (I've only been interviewing at schools around the same tier), it's the SAME people. Everyone is applying to everywhere.
But don't hold me to my words...my prediction is as empirical as it gets.:whoa:
Wait, so you've literally seen the same people multiple times at different schools? That's impressive.

Wait, so you've literally seen the same people multiple times at different schools? That's impressive.
Yeah, one extreme example: met a guy at School 1, turned out he's going to School 2 next on the same day with me. And then we both got the II for School 3 at the same time during the interview at School 1. Another guy on my interview trail bumped into each of the twin sisters (do they count as the same person? :rolleyes:) at two consecutive interviews.
Interview trails overlaps here and there every year. But I don't know if the overlap was ever this much. Judging from MDApp, it seems that people have indeed been applying not just earlier but also more broadly. Which hopefully will translate into WL movements in the end.

Hey everyone! I hope that all of you have a really good month of November with plenty of interviews! I'm rooting for you all to make it!! :banana: Hang in there everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
Same here. I keep on seeing the same people again an again.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1414973660.412531.jpg

Plleeeaaasee

Last edited:
Yeah, one extreme example: met a guy at School 1, turned out he's going to School 2 next on the same day with me. And then we both got the II for School 3 at the same time during the interview at School 1. Another guy on my interview trail bumped into each of the twin sisters (do they count as the same person? :rolleyes:) at two consecutive interviews.
Interview trails overlaps here and there every year. But I don't know if the overlap was ever this much. Judging from MDApp, it seems that people have indeed been applying not just earlier but also more broadly. Which hopefully will translate into WL movements in the end.
Gotcha. I only saw 4 people from my ECU interview day at my UNC interview day 2 weeks later. I've only gone to 4 schools, and they're not really similar enough that I would run into the same people.

like this if you haven't been to enough interviews to have recognized the same people :p

Reactions: 17 users
like this if you haven't been to enough interviews to have recognized the same people :p
Seven interviews so far and no overlaps. I've had overlaps in schools we're interviewing at, but I have yet to run into anyone I've seen before.

This cycle certainly not. But I remember bumping into the same people in most of my East Coast interview dates the first time I applied.

So much silence from my AMCAS application. :|

Aye nothing stings like getting rejected by your employer. Good to know I'm only skilled enough to get paid by a medical school, not to pay them :p

Reactions: 9 users