2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
*Phone rings with area code of my alma mater*

Alma mater: Hello, is this Copernicium?
Me: (expecting good news since they decided to call me)...Yes it is.
Alma mater: We are calling to tell you that....

Me:
XFlyjXe.gif

Alma mater:
.....you...........

Me:
ehlxld.gif

Alma mater:
....have been placed on the waitlist for the entering class of 2015.

Me:
zl8Be3w.gif

After hearing my position on the list, I went back to my hotel room and pretty much did this:
cryalot.jpg

What kind of sadistic crap is that?!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
I apologize if my post sounds a little first world problem-esque, but I just got my fourth post-interview hold/waitlist/deferral/under consideration/whatever other term medical schools use to tell you that you're not accepted yet. Even though I would choose the school I've been accepted to over any of those other ones, it still worries me about how I did on my other interviews that I'm still waiting to hear back from and how I'll do on my future ones.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize if my post sounds a little first world problem-esque, but I just got my fourth post-interview hold/waitlist/deferral/under consideration/whatever other term medical schools use to tell you that you're not accepted yet. Even though I would choose the school I've been accepted to over any of those other ones, it still worries me about how I did on my other interviews that I'm still waiting to hear back from and how I'll do on my future ones.

I feel ya! My first interview I got accepted and had a bad feeling about it. My second one I thought I rocked it and got a rejection (not even waitlist!). Now I have zero idea how my skills actually are....

Reactions: 3 users

Nooo! why are you wasting post-acceptance liberty and bliss caring about that.
If you came across as socially inept you would have gotten in nowhere.

Me:

Alma mater:
.....you...........

Me:
ehlxld.gif

Alma mater:

Me:
zl8Be3w.gif

After hearing my position on the list, I went back to my hotel room and pretty much did this:
cryalot.jpg
dom-joly-phone.jpg

Nooo! why are you wasting post-acceptance liberty and bliss caring about that.
If you came across as socially inept you would have gotten in nowhere.
I think it's also the fact that I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing right and wrong during my interviews so that I can improve my interviewing ability at future places.
I have two more interviews coming up next week at two of my top choice schools, and I really want as much to go in my favor as I can, so getting waitlists/holds from places I thought I did really well at is making me question the insight that I'm obtaining, if that makes sense.
Once again, I apologize for the somewhat first world problem-nature of my conundrum.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's also the fact that I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing right and wrong during my interviews so that I can improve my interviewing ability at future places.
I have two more interviews coming up next week at two of my top choice schools, and I really want as much to go in my favor as I can, so getting waitlists/holds from places I thought I did really well at is making me question the insight that I'm obtaining, if that makes sense.
Once again, I apologize for the somewhat first world problem-nature of my conundrum.
You should make a separate thread titled "Accepted Medical Student Panic Thread" :) Don't mind me, just some friendly jabbing.

Reactions: 6 users
You should make a separate thread titled "Accepted Medical Student Panic Thread" :) Don't mind me, just some friendly jabbing.

AKA the "No Panic" thread :laugh:

(another shameless jab)

Reactions: 5 users
8 II and potentially hearing back from 7 of them this Saturday.

I know that statistically I'm going to medical school--doesn't mean I'm not compulsively cleaning/drinking/steaming my clothes/eating.

There's a difference between not being accepted to a school, being accepted to your safety school and being accepted at your dream school. Unless you're in that third category I'm going to allow the panic. If you're not happy about it go to the underdog thread--which seems to actually be a very sunny place this year!

Last edited:
8 II and potentially hearing back from 7 this Saturday.

I know that statistically I'm going to medical school--doesn't mean I'm not compulsively cleaning/drinking/steaming my clothes/eating.

There's a difference between not being accepted to a school, being accepted to your safety school and being accepted at your dream school. Unless you're in that third category I'm going to allow the panic. If you're not happy about it go to the underdog thread--which seems to actually be a very sunny place this year!
Same. 6 ii. Heard back from one (wait listed) panicking so hard right now

The "panic" of not getting into a dream school vs. getting into 0 schools is not comparable.
You can have a ton of interviews and still be worried because worst-case scenarios are still possibilities, but if someone has an acceptance at a school they are okay with attending (why apply to a school you would not want to go to) they should be happy as it will likely be the most stress free time they have in the coming years. As soon as I get accepted, I may hope to get in somewhere better, but I will panic about absolutely nothing school related.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)

No apologies necessary, all of our problems on sdn are first world problems. I'm not trying to invalidate, you should just be having fun now.

No apologies necessary, all of our problems on sdn are first world problems. I'm not trying to invalidate, you should just be having fun now.
Agreed. Also, I've been through the worst case scenario (no acceptances) my first application cycle. It sucked, but I also felt like the process matured me and helped me learn more about medicine and what medical schools want, so I am immensely grateful that I was able to immediately apply again a month after my final rejection and get accepted this early into this cycle.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the rest of my gap year...

Agreed. Also, I've been through the worst case scenario (no acceptances) my first application cycle. It sucked, but I also felt like the process matured me and helped me learn more about medicine and what medical schools want, so I am immensely grateful that I was able to immediately apply again a month after my final rejection and get accepted this early into this cycle.

I think I would find a totally unrelated job and enjoy the rest of the year as much as possible while saving some $$$$$$$

The "panic" of not getting into a dream school vs. getting into 0 schools is not comparable.
You can have a ton of interviews and still be worried because worst-case scenarios are still possibilities, but if someone has an acceptance at a school they are okay with attending (why apply to a school you would not want to go to) they should be happy as it will likely be the most stress free time they have in the coming years. As soon as I get accepted, I may hope to get in somewhere better, but I will panic about absolutely nothing school related.
PREACH.

Texas resident, I'm guessing? I have 4 II and could hear about 2 of them on Saturday. Pretty intense feeling.

2.5 MD interviews (phone interview at WMich), all invites in August or the beginning of Sept, 1waitlist, 1 post-interview rejection. In the last 2 months I've gotten 7 rejections:/ and the rest has been silence. I've been accepted to a DO school, but it wasn't my favorite when I interviewed. I'm really hoping to have some good news from the almost 20 MD schools I have yet to hear from!! Panic has set in!

6 ii, 1 deferral until later meeting, 1 waitlist. If the whole year is going to be like this, it is going to suck

Last edited:
I just realized today that Shake It Off by Taylor Swift is the perfect theme song for anyone who is currently feeling down about any rejections/holds/waitlists/silence.

I just realized today that Shake It Off by Taylor Swift is the perfect theme song for anyone who is currently feeling down about any rejections/holds/waitlists/silence.
It took you long enough lololol.

Joking aside, the song isn't good by T-Swift fan standards, but it is extremely catchy. Also perfect for anyone who has haters who don't think you'll get into med school/don't think you'll ever become a good doctor.

This is what I do with my rejections and holds:

Very catchy might I add.

It took you long enough lololol.

Joking aside, the song isn't good by T-Swift fan standards, but it is extremely catchy. Also perfect for anyone who has haters who don't think you'll get into med school/don't think you'll ever become a good doctor.
True, but it still makes me feel things. Plus, her new material's better than her stuff from Red.

True, but it still makes me feel things. Plus, her new material's better than her stuff from Red.
Damn, I didn't even realize her new album had been released already. I've been in the ED too long lololol. And really? I loved her songs from Red. I guess I'll have to listen to all her new music (not on Spotify cuz she's weird like that) after my shift ends.

I haven't heard anything from any med school in about two months.

Better than outright rejection.

Yep, I quickly learned silence no matter how long is better than a rejection. Once you are rejected it's over, done, complete, and decimated. However, I also learned to be wary of those who are silent-rejecters and those schools who use the word "Hold" as euphemism for rejection.

Yep, I quickly learned silence no matter how long is better than a rejection. Once you are rejected it's over, done, complete, and decimated. However, I also learned to be wary of those who are silent-rejecters and those schools who use the word "Hold" as euphemism for rejection.
Is there some sort of list that enumerates all the schools that are silent rejectors?

Is there some sort of list that enumerates all the schools that are silent rejectors?
I don't think so...that would require intricate knowledge of every med school's specific admissions process.

If you don't mind, what did you specifically do differently the second time around that you think got you accepted? And how did you do it so quickly within a month before applying again? Also, are you finding that schools that you applied to the first time are less receptive to you this year? Asking because, it looks more and more like I will be a reapp. :( Thanks

This is what I do with my rejections and holds:

Very catchy might I add.

I prefer to use them as doggy poo mats or used gum deposit slips. Though that cycle was a while ago, these days it's all impersonal email. Not sure what do to with them. Send their email addressed to known mega-spammers?

Me:
XFlyjXe.gif

Alma mater:
.....you...........

Me:
ehlxld.gif

Alma mater:

Me:
zl8Be3w.gif

cryalot.jpg
I am so incredibly sorry this happened to you. That is just awful. :(

It's funny there are so many people on here that are panicking with an acceptance in hand or several IIs. No acceptance or IIs here and I have yet to panic (granted, I know the DO cycle is longer).

I guess it's now clear to me that I grew up in the third world... I have yet to know what it feels like to have a first world problem.

I'm glad! At this point you've done all that you can and you should be proud of finishing your secondaries.

I'm still really anxious and I've only had one interview invite, three holds, and about ten rejections from out of state schools. Still need to hear back from 10 more schools. But I understand what you're going through and we need to keep each other sane. No sense in going crazy before medical school. Hahaha. Gotta keep the hope alive. It's still early. :rolleyes: There's so much movement before people get settled into their schools. I feel like a small pool of the same people get 10+ interviews at schools. Once they choose a school there will be more spaces that will be opened up.

My roommate from college applied to med school last year got verified on October 30th. When he sent in his secondaries he already got two rejections within the next week. Half of the schools he applied to sent fast rejections. He got his first interview invite in January and had his last interview in April. He's studying at UCSF this year. Yeah he was totally flipping out, reading through SDN 2 hours a day for 6 months, and was depressed for 4 months. He said in hindsight it was silly to spend so much time on this website reading about people's acceptances and what the schools are up to because it just became so counterproductive. Let's learn from his experience. :p

I love your optimism..but do the rejections get easier as they pile up? :confused:

I'm starting to realize that silence is better than rejection….but you're absolutely right that we need to keep each other sane and remind each other that silence means we're still in the running - especially because there seems to be rounds of rejections at most of the schools I've applied to.

I love your optimism..but do the rejections get easier as they pile up? :confused:

I'm starting to realize that silence is better than rejection….but you're absolutely right that we need to keep each other sane and remind each other that silence means we're still in the running - especially because there seems to be rounds of rejections at most of the schools I've applied to.

Yes exactly! Silence does mean that you're still in the running. If they didn't think that you were a good fit for the school then they would just send you a fast rejection. A lot of interviews happen from January - March. I read that things slow down a bit right now as the holidays are coming. I'm sure the adcoms are exhausted.

Haha the rejections still sting, especially when you think that you were competitive enough to apply. But this part of the process was to be expected. I can't take it personally since so many factors are taken into account when they decide on inviting you for an interview. Technically all you need is one interview to be an MD. :p I feel grateful for having one at a program that I really really love. I'd be able to work with people in the neighborhood that I grew up in.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok, Ok, let's get back to the ACTUAL panicking:

Complete in September: 0 interviews, 7 rejections.

First few rejections, I was like:
tumblr_lcnf3z0GWl1qd7vli.gif

But, with each new rejection, I'm like:
W0NUx.gif

Here's to November!!!!

Reactions: 13 users
Me, when I get rejections:

image.jpg

Me, to schools that I haven't heard from in months:
image.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Ok, Ok, let's get back to the ACTUAL panicking:

Complete in September: 0 interviews, 7 rejections.

First few rejections, I was like:
tumblr_lcnf3z0GWl1qd7vli.gif

But, with each new rejection, I'm like:
W0NUx.gif

Here's to November!!!!

You should get an interview invite just for being so funny

Second waitlist in a row. Zero acceptances. Yay.

Freaking out.

Oh no. :( I'm sorry to hear this. How many more schools are you waiting to hear from post-interview?

2 schools to hear from and 2 more interviews. I'm going nuts here thinking I won't get in anywhere... I mean, I'm by no means a bad interviewer, but I just don't know how I come off to people. Maybe I just have *that* kind of personality?

2 schools to hear from and 2 more interviews. I'm going nuts here thinking I won't get in anywhere... I mean, I'm by no means a bad interviewer, but I just don't know how I come off to people. Maybe I just have *that* kind of personality?
I really doubt that. With six interviews I feel your chances of acceptance are very high. Don't let these WLs get in your head. Shake it off!

Reactions: 5 users
I really doubt that. With six interviews I feel your chances of acceptance are very high. Don't let these WLs get in your head. Shake it off!
I think I'm going to pout in peace for a bit, but to be perfectly honest these WLs were not surprising at all.

The first school's interview went quite badly (the admissions office messed up my itinerary so I was late everywhere, and my interviewer was a total rookie and did the interview interrogation-style) and the second school was such a poor fit that I would've been more upset with an acceptance. I just don't see myself spending 4 years there... we're WAY too different.

We'll have to wait and see how the rest turn out. I know that statistically speaking I'll get in, but pure math (unfortunately) doesn't work all too well here.

Hm, that's a bit concerning. I wonder why they'd send it to your emergency contact? Have you received secondary emails from schools on your primary email?

somehow just saw this now. yeah i got all of the other emails on my primary email. but i got another ii today on my primary email so i think it was just a random thing

Here's one more thing: I'm not a compassionate person. I'm plenty sympathetic, but I have a problem --> solution sort of mentality where emotions don't factor in. I feel that I have to contort my personality to fit what I *think* adcoms are looking for. Thing is, I've also met plenty of people with my personality type who managed to become doctors. It's all so confusing to me... maybe my interviewers know something I don't? I'm starting to wonder if medicine was the right choice all along.

Here's one more thing: I'm not a compassionate person. I'm plenty sympathetic, but I have a problem --> solution sort of mentality where emotions don't factor in. I feel that I have to contort my personality to fit what I *think* adcoms are looking for. Thing is, I've also met plenty of people with my personality type who managed to become doctors. It's all so confusing to me... maybe my interviewers know something I don't? I'm starting to wonder if medicine was the right choice all along.

Being compassionate doesn't mean you have to be a touchy-feely, emotionally driven person. You can be goal oriented/problem driven/pragmatic while feeling sympathy and concern for the suffering of others. If you find yourself motivated to take action towards a solution because someone is suffering through a problem, you are being compassionate.