2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Being compassionate doesn't mean you have to be a touchy-feely, emotionally driven person. You can be goal oriented/problem driven/pragmatic while feeling sympathy and concern for the suffering of others. If you find yourself motivated to take action towards a solution because someone is suffering through a problem, you are being compassionate.

+1

I think being pragmatic and practical is vital to medicine (especially to end of life care). I think being compassionate is taking a patients feelings and dignity into account and being tactful when dealing with them. Don't try to put on a lovey dovey act, let your personality come through!! (I always take logical sides, even if it might seem harsh, just make sure you can back up your opinion)

I think I'm going to pout in peace for a bit, but to be perfectly honest these WLs were not surprising at all.

The first school's interview went quite badly (the admissions office messed up my itinerary so I was late everywhere, and my interviewer was a total rookie and did the interview interrogation-style) and the second school was such a poor fit that I would've been more upset with an acceptance. I just don't see myself spending 4 years there... we're WAY too different.

We'll have to wait and see how the rest turn out. I know that statistically speaking I'll get in, but pure math (unfortunately) doesn't work all too well here.

I felt the same about not getting in when I got 3 waitlists, two of them in-state and one of them from my undergrad institution. The latter stung the most, especially because I got the best GPA you could get at a place they're supposed to know and trust academically. With six interviews, I think there's a great possibility you get in. Med school applicants are notoriously bad at guessing how interviews go. Sometimes we feel great and get outright rejected, sometimes we felt terrible about it and get in. It's already happened to me.

Just be you and get yourself across as best you can. The place I've been most honest about who I am is the place that also accepted me. That makes me really happy and makes me feel optimistic about the program I'll attend for four years.

Hang in there. The chances of getting in somewhere with 6 interviews is high.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Post-interview rejection and post-interview hold. The first one I sort of expected because I screwed up the MMI, but the second one stings.

Waiting to hear back from two others, but ugh.

Complete at 19 Schools from Late July-Late September, 3 Rejections, 0 IIs.

Remaining hopeful that I've been a good boy this year and will receive a few Christmas gifts from St. ADCOMs, but also getting ready to warm up the ol' MCAT study engine again.

Reactions: 10 users
3 interviews back in October. 2 wait-lists and 1 rejection. Another interview next week. I'm not sure what to think I thought the interviews went well, but apparently not. Really hope this next interview brings better fortune. I feel like I'm in limbo on these wait-lists.

2 interviews in january and silence from the other 15 schools.

I know 2 interview invites is good, but the silence is maddening...

I was expecting more out of this cycle; received two II in early September and one in early October, then only two pre-interview rejections since the last II. My first interview led to a straight rejection and I'm feeling less confident about the next two, which were scheduled in December and January. I have 9 schools left to hear from, but things are definitely slow and I'm feeling so uncertain about whether or not I need to reapply. Feels good to vent, though.

Reactions: 2 users
Reapplicant. Complete at 25 schools between 8/15 - 8/30. And then 2 in September and 1 in November (late secondary invite). LizzyM ~ 76. I got 1 II mid September and thought I was going to have a great cycle this time around (no invites at all my first time) and since then I've just gotten 3 rejections, 2 holds, and then just silence from every other school.

I was a little nervous for my aforementioned interview since it was my first one (and only one so far) and it was also for a school that I consider to be a reach for me. I'm hoping that I didn't bomb the interview but I won't find out for a while because the school admits on a non-rolling basis! I'm just not sure what to do at this point!

I also applied so much more broadly this time, but now that I look back I see that this time I applied to a lot of schools that I don't really align with in terms of the mission statement. I guess there is no point in regretting that right now though.

Everyone else that I know that is also applying this cycle is having a similar cycle as me in terms of the number if IIs. I just feel so awkward and like I'm in limbo right now...

man i wish i was smarter

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thinking back at all the work I put in over the past few years (and really, starting early on in high school) and seeing how little it has helped me... Really brings a lot of doubts to the forefront. Is it really worthwhile pushing myself towards a field where I do not seem to have the requisite talent? I feel like the app process has shown me that I have overextended myself intellectually and that hard work and good intentions are not enough. And even if I do make it past this stage, what about when it really matters? What happens when I'm a "dumb" doctor who is responsible for some life-altering decision. Would it be ethical for me to make that decision instead of someone decisively more intelligent than I am?

Blehh, what a waste... Maybe I should listen to what the schools are telling me and go into another field.

What makes you think you would be a dumb doctor and what makes you think you have overextended yourself? The requisite talent is pretty much hard work and good intentions(maybe luck also). Assuming you did not apply on a whim then you know you are perfectly capable of becoming a competent doctor. If you can actually imagine yourself doing something else then maybe you should. I know that when I consider other careers there is nothing I would rather do no matter how terrible I have thought my chances were over the years.

man i wish i was smarter

I feel the same way or more like:"why the hell am I trying to go into a field that considers me so bad that I have zero interviews". And I didn't even apply to mid or top tier schools, knowing that rejections would flood my mailbox.

But then, first of all, the cycle is not over yet! And second of all, many people apply multiple times and it doesn't mean they will struggle in med school or be bad doctors. Sometimes it's just bad timing, being unlucky, or actually not being ready for med school yet.

A big part of the game is also determination and also optimism. Just don't let an unsuccessful cycle make you feel not good enough. I felt a lot better when I read that @FriendlyFH (who is all over top 10 schools application threads this year ;) ) is a reapplicant. Sure, I won't replicate her success but it makes me put things into perspective a bit

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Had the best interview of my life this past week.
Unfortunately, I won't be hearing back from them until March.

Aside from one other rejection, the field has been very quiet for me.

tl;dr - 1 II, 1 Rejection, 8 silences - WHY SO MUCH SILENCE?!

Utah? Just asking since I had the same experience Monday. Maybe we crossed paths? At any rate, glad it went well!

Panic mode reactivated. 1 waitlist, 6 rejections

Silence feels better people.

Utah? Just asking since I had the same experience Monday. Maybe we crossed paths? At any rate, glad it went well!
Nah. Weill Cornell.

Thanks! Hope it goes well for you too! This process is stressful enough as it is with the silence.
Panic mode reactivated. 1 waitlist, 6 rejections

Silence feels better people.
Perhaps it does... I don't know about rejections from state schools this early in the game, though (that's where the bulk of my applications went out to).

Only have 3 rejections out of 23 schools so far (and I've been complete since July/early August). Not sure how to feel about that. All those other schools aren't rejecting me but they aren't interviewing me either. I must be a super borderline applicant.

Reactions: 3 users
1 waitlist and 1 post-interview rejection on the MD front. Still waiting to hear back after one interview...ugh.

However, I'm 3 for 3 on DO acceptances :)

10 rejections out of 25, getting ready to reapply really.

Getting a torrent of rejections lately. Been so bad, I'm not even bothering updating mdapps because it's getting depressing...

Yikes! March? Whew that's a lonnnnngggggg time. I'm glad you think it went well. Hope for the best!

Yikes! March? Whew that's a lonnnnngggggg time. I'm glad you think it went well. Hope for the best!
Them ivy league schools, bro... tell you that they don't give out decisions until March to give all of their interviewed applicants a fair shot. I imagine they review whether they think you're fit for the school within two weeks of your interview, though.

Alas, it just means that I need to focus on the others that have left me in silence for now.

Was complaining a lot about not hearing from any schools and that the silence was becoming a little worrisome.

Got a rejection from Hofstra and quickly learned to appreciate the silence. :laugh:

Was complaining a lot about not hearing from any schools and that the silence was becoming a little worrisome.

Got a rejection from Hofstra and quickly learned to appreciate the silence. :laugh:

Hahah that was me today too! I just got rejected from Hofstra as well. A lesson to be careful what you wish for ;)

Hahah that was me today too! I just got rejected from Hofstra as well. A lesson to be careful what you wish for ;)

Me three haha!

Indeed! I'm surprised Hofstra gave me the boot so fast. Thought I might get at least a super late interview invite.

Indeed! I'm surprised Hofstra gave me the boot so fast. Thought I might get at least a super late interview invite.
Same. And this is my second consecutive day with a rejection!

Just got waitlisted and now in panic mode. I've interviewed at two other places, but this is the place I thought my interview went by far the best.

Just letting out some stress/angst by posting this here!

Just got waitlisted and now in panic mode. I've interviewed at two other places, but this is the place I thought my interview went by far the best.

Just letting out some stress/angst by posting this here!

At least you've heard so you know where you stand. It's been ten weeks since I interviewed at one of my top choices and I haven't heard a thing. They said it would take 2-3 months. People who interviewed after me have been getting decisions. :shrug:

Question: Is silence better than a pre-interview hold? Or which is better?

Question: Is silence better than a pre-interview hold? Or which is better?
I honestly think that silence is better than a pre-interview hold. I received a II at a school recently after being complete for 3.5 months and not hearing a single thing. A pre-interview hold in my opinion is a prolonged rejection 90% of the time. With silence there is always that chance!

Am I the only one here still sitting at ZERO interview?

Am I the only one here still sitting at ZERO interview?
It's bizarre man. I know a few people with better credentials than me and they haven't heard zilch. This process is so random.

Reactions: 4 users
It's bizarre man. I know a few people with better credentials than me and they haven't heard zilch. This process is so random.

Agreed. I have a buddy with sky-high stats and only has had two interviews. I have another who is way lower than me stat / e.c. / etc. with 5+. I'm at zero interviews as well, but also with a very low number of rejections out of 20+ schools, so not too bad yet.

Trying to apply early for Navy HPSP. First thing asked was if I'm holding an acceptance anywhere...:(

Reapplicant. Complete at 25 schools between 8/15 - 8/30. And then 2 in September and 1 in November (late secondary invite). LizzyM ~ 76. I got 1 II mid September and thought I was going to have a great cycle this time around (no invites at all my first time) and since then I've just gotten 3 rejections, 2 holds, and then just silence from every other school.

I was a little nervous for my aforementioned interview since it was my first one (and only one so far) and it was also for a school that I consider to be a reach for me. I'm hoping that I didn't bomb the interview but I won't find out for a while because the school admits on a non-rolling basis! I'm just not sure what to do at this point!

I also applied so much more broadly this time, but now that I look back I see that this time I applied to a lot of schools that I don't really align with in terms of the mission statement. I guess there is no point in regretting that right now though.

Everyone else that I know that is also applying this cycle is having a similar cycle as me in terms of the number if IIs. I just feel so awkward and like I'm in limbo right now...

lizzym of 76 is very very good. stay tough, im sure youll get in somewhere. probably somewhere really good too. if not, then they're fools.

cjbu0Zq.gif

What the rejections will feel like

Things are slowing down for Thanksgiving. Probably won't hear much until the beginning of December.

Agreed. I have a buddy with sky-high stats and only has had two interviews. I have another who is way lower than me stat / e.c. / etc. with 5+. I'm at zero interviews as well, but also with a very low number of rejections out of 20+ schools, so not too bad yet.

don't underestimate the power of URM status or other "special" factors.. not that your friend with 5+ interviews is URM, but I know this kid with DECENT stats, like somewhere around 3.7 gpa and 32 mcat. you know, DECENT, but nothing truly exceptional. hes Asian, but he put Hispanic down on his application (hes MAYBE like 1/4 or 1/5 Hispanic, definitely MUCH more obvious that he's Japanese though, youd never know Hispanic by looking at him) and put that he was disadvantaged even though im pretty sure his family is extremely wealthy. i think he might have had depression or something growing up, so he wrote an extra essay about it. im sure depression sucks, but i dont know if id write an essay about it to gain an advantage in admissions, ESPECIALLY if I had URM status. he was playing every card in his hand I guess. anyway, hes got something like 12-14 interviews for MD/PhD (which apparently you need even higher stats for). and they're at TOP tier schools. Stanford, cornell, northwestern, nyu, yale, washington U, etc. pretty crazy, but that stuff definitely goes a long way. those extra factors can easily snag a couple interviews. it's a weird and sometimes unfair process. youd think someone with ridiculous stats like @happypatatoes would be getting all these incredible interviews, not someone whose mcat barely matches the schools' 10th percentile.

don't underestimate the power of URM status or other "special" factors.. not that your friend with 5+ interviews is URM, but I know this kid with DECENT stats, like somewhere around 3.7 gpa and 32 mcat. you know, DECENT, but nothing truly exceptional. hes Asian, but he put Hispanic down on his application (hes MAYBE like 1/4 or 1/5 Hispanic, definitely MUCH more obvious that he's Japanese though, youd never know Hispanic by looking at him) and put that he was disadvantaged even though im pretty sure his family is extremely wealthy. i think he might have had depression or something growing up, so he wrote an extra essay about it. im sure depression sucks, but i dont know if id write an essay about it to gain an advantage in admissions, ESPECIALLY if I had URM status. he was playing every card in his hand I guess. anyway, hes got something like 12-14 interviews for MD/PhD (which apparently you need even higher stats for). and they're at TOP tier schools. Stanford, cornell, northwestern, nyu, yale, washington U, etc. pretty crazy, but that stuff definitely goes a long way. those extra factors can easily snag a couple interviews. it's a weird and sometimes unfair process. youd think someone with ridiculous stats like @happypatatoes would be getting all these incredible interviews, not someone whose mcat barely matches the schools' 10th percentile.
Does he have a Hispanic sounding name? If not, how do the admissions people not just see right through that? Lol.

I had a friend do something similar (writing down hispanic when he was mostly Asian) and at his interviews, he was questioned super hard and waitlisted/rejected at most of the schools. Adcoms HAVE to know that they're are playing the system...perhaps there is something else on his app that's appealing?

I had a friend do something similar (writing down hispanic when he was mostly Asian) and at his interviews, he was questioned super hard and waitlisted/rejected at most of the schools. Adcoms HAVE to know that they're are playing the system...perhaps there is something else on his app that's appealing?

hes a fine person and im sure hes got something good, like some research or something. but a 32 and an interview at Washington university is crazy

At this point I am afraid that I have less than stellar Letters of Rec or something else, some devious red flag that I've missed, that is holding me back... There is just so much unknown about this process and it's making me go crazy!

I also don't have like a "normal" job right now - I'm working as a part time self-employed tutor and also as a caregiver for someone with a disability. But I haven't done research for a really really long time, and it's impossible for me to find like a real job right now because of how long it's been (or so I think). So I feel even more trapped right now and the pressure to get in this year is immense. Otherwise I really don't know what is going to happen next year. I can't really continue doing what I am doing right now and I feel like I might have dug myself into a hole. :/

Bleh, I hate to be negative, but I guess that's sort of what this thread is here for.

Anyways, I heard that this next week is supposed to be quiet so I will (try to) focus on enjoying my time with friends (who are all at medical school already =/, but are very supportive =) ) and family, instead of incessantly checking every school specific thread that I've applied to in order to see if others have gotten interviews and when exactly they were complete.

I hope all you guys have great breaks and holidays and that a year from now we can look back and just smile at this thread!

At this point I am afraid that I have less than stellar Letters of Rec or something else, some devious red flag that I've missed, that is holding me back... There is just so much unknown about this process and it's making me go crazy!

I also don't have like a "normal" job right now - I'm working as a part time self-employed tutor and also as a caregiver for someone with a disability. But I haven't done research for a really really long time, and it's impossible for me to find like a real job right now because of how long it's been (or so I think). So I feel even more trapped right now and the pressure to get in this year is immense. Otherwise I really don't know what is going to happen next year. I can't really continue doing what I am doing right now and I feel like I might have dug myself into a hole. :/

Bleh, I hate to be negative, but I guess that's sort of what this thread is here for.

Anyways, I heard that this next week is supposed to be quiet so I will (try to) focus on enjoying my time with friends (who are all at medical school already =/, but are very supportive =) ) and family, instead of incessantly checking every school specific thread that I've applied to in order to see if others have gotten interviews and when exactly they were complete.

I hope all you guys have great breaks and holidays and that a year from now we can look back and just smile at this thread!

The app cycle is not over yet! ;) I took a break from school specific threads for a week and feel much more relaxed. I even decided to postpone my lack-of-ii-induced nervous breakdown until January, ha!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Reactions: 3 users
The levels of Panic from most panicked to least:

1. Not accepted to any medical school aka Five Alarm, End of the World, ARQKL@JSD!LKV$TY%J^MNLKAS&*DJLAS<JKFLSDJFI, etc. Panic deserving of commitment to a psychiatric institution.
2. Accepted to a medical school so you'll will be getting an MD at least, but not most desired because of some combination of distance, cost, preference, etc. Very mild panic deserving of a slight elevation in heart rate but nothing a day at the pool can't resolve.
3. Accepted to dream medical school. No panic or deserving of a swift kick to the head if panicking about this.

The levels of Panic from most panicked to least:

1. Not accepted to any medical school aka Five Alarm, End of the World, ARQKL@JSD!LKV$TY%J^MNLKAS&*DJLAS<JKFLSDJFI, etc. Panic deserving of commitment to a psychiatric institution.
2. Accepted to a medical school so you'll will be getting an MD at least, but not most desired because of some combination of distance, cost, preference, etc. Very mild panic deserving of a slight elevation in heart rate but nothing a day at the pool can't resolve.
3. Accepted to dream medical school. No panic or deserving of a swift kick to the head if panicking about this.
hahahahahaha