2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And yet, the vast majority of socio research points towards hot people being perceived as smarter, more talented, etc - see the halo effect. Your friend may have had an n=1 disadvantage, but in general you get a big boost in how, say, an interviewer perceives you if you are attractive. There really isn't any doubt in whether its advantageous in life to be attractive

1. You are under the assumption that we all (premed or not) reach the pinnacle of our careers by the age of 35. This is a wrong assumption. Competition is still fierce for residency placements, fellowship placements, job placements, and promotions.

2. You are under the assumption that all men and women on this planet are bisexual. In order for attractiveness to be a factor, the viewer has to feel attraction towards said person.

3. I think we came to the conclusion in another thread that attractive people tend to be more confident (in reference to the study you quoted), and that's the reason why they tend to fair better at interviews.

EDIT: Btw, I just read a couple of minutes ago on CNN that the Iowa Supreme Court ruled it was legal to fire a woman for being TOO attractive earlier this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
1. You are under the assumption that we all (premed or not) reach the pinnacle of our careers by the age of 35. This is a wrong assumption. Competition is still fierce for residency placements, fellowship placements, job placements, and promotions.

2. You are under the assumption that all men and women on this planet are bisexual. In order for attractiveness to be a factor, the viewer has to feel attraction towards said person.

3. I think we came to the conclusion in another thread that attractive people tend to be more confident (in reference to the study you quoted), and that's the reason why they tend to fair better at interviews.

EDIT: Btw, I just read a couple of minutes ago on CNN that the Iowa Supreme Court ruled it was legal to fire a woman for being TOO attractive earlier this year.

1 I'm only arguing about admissions, and the population facing Med admissions is overwhelmingly <35

2 not true perception of attractive people is different even between straight members of the same sex

3 this is addressed by the research, they do things like have people listen to identical interview transcripts looking at an attractive vs not picture and rate them

RE edit - again its a benefit. Sure there are cases where it can backfire (like a jealous interviewer) but overall an advantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
1 I'm only arguing about admissions, and the population facing Med admissions is overwhelmingly <35

2 not true perception of attractive people is different even between straight members of the same sex

3 this is addressed by the research, they do things like have people listen to identical interview transcripts looking at an attractive vs not picture and rate them

RE edit - again its a benefit. Sure there are cases where it can backfire (like a jealous interviewer) but overall an advantage.

-- In that scenario, are the interview transcripts nearly identical? Even on paper, the interview transcript of a confident individual will fair better than an unconfident one.

-- Who would they even define as attractive versus unattractive? Some people find Justin Bieber to be incredibly hot while others find him to be repulsive. Attraction isn't a quality that can be quantified. How would the researchers truly know if the interviewer perceived Applicant A as more attractive than Applicant B? Even if the majority of people thought A was hotter than B, there is still a great deal of uncertainty in knowing if that is also what the interviewer thought.

EDIT: I agree with the above post. You can of course, respond, but let's try to steer this back to neuroticism and away from the over-debated URM advantage. It was the initial reason I clicked on this forum to begin with. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You act as if attractiveness is such an amazing trait. How long are most people aesthetically pleasing? Late teens to mid-30's? If you are black, you have to deal with the consequences of that from birth to death.

This. 100% this.

Edit: oops I was on the previous page looking at this post and didn't realize this conversation had continued and subsequently ended here.

-- In that scenario, are the interview transcripts nearly identical? Even on paper, the interview transcript of a confident individual will fair better than an unconfident one.

-- Who would they even define as attractive versus unattractive? Some people find Justin Bieber to be incredibly hot while others find him to be repulsive. Attraction isn't a quality that can be quantified. How would the researchers truly know if the interviewer perceived Applicant A as more attractive than Applicant B? Even if the majority of people thought A was hotter than B, there is still a great deal of uncertainty in knowing if that is also what the interviewer thought.

EDIT: I agree with the above post. You can of course, respond, but let's try to steer this back to neuroticism and away from the over-debated URM advantage. It was the initial reason I clicked on this forum to begin with. :)
Attractiveness is quantifiable to an extent. The easiest way to measure it is by looking at BMI. Fat people just look unhealthy.. Why do you think you are attracted to the people you are attracted to? Are any of them 300 lbs. Do any of them have mustaches? No.

Those traits are obviously less common and make people easier to rule out, however subtleties are also quantifiable as well. Things like skin color, facial symmetry, and height also play roles.

I agree with the bolded. Attractiveness and beauty are subjective things. Like, I don't consider myself attractive, but a good friend of mine (girl) told me I was quite handsome and I've also been randomly cat-called on the street before.

You act as if attractiveness is such an amazing trait. How long are most people aesthetically pleasing? Late teens to mid-30's? If you are black, you have to deal with the consequences of that from birth to death.

Yeah right. This man is 50: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrities/brad-pitt

This woman is 45: http://wallerz.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/4136_jennifer_aniston.jpg

This man is 61: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000112/

I could go on. Citations on attractive people making more money: http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970203687504576655331418204842
http://www.livescience.com/5552-taller-people-earn-money.html
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tykiisel/2013/03/20/you-are-judged-by-your-appearance/
http://www.businessinsider.com/beautiful-people-make-more-money-2014-11

Need more? If you're attractive, you're likely to stay attractive throughout the majority of your working years. Certainly you will stay attractive during your formative carer-building years. Height, for males being equally as important, will last throughout your entire life.

I agree with the bolded. Attractiveness and beauty are subjective things. Like, I don't consider myself attractive, but a good friend of mine (girl) told me I was quite handsome and I've also been randomly cat-called on the street before.

Attractiveness can be quantified, actually:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1690211/
http://www.economist.com/news/scien...-faces-attract-has-just-fallen-wayside-facing

Facial symmetry is really just the tip of the iceberg. Over time, there will likely be far more thorough methods of scientifically assessing the sexual attractiveness of a phenotype.

1) People don't stop becoming attractive at 35. I've dated women in their early 40's who would put your 22-year-old girlfriends to shame. Men, in particular, can stay attractive for a very long time if they maintain themselves. Sean Connery, anyone?

2) I know you're not replying to me, but this actually doesn't matter that much. As a heterosexual male, I'm friendlier to my good looking male coworkers as well. You can't help it, it's a natural inclination.

3) Largely, you cannot invent confidence when you have little to be confident about. You may be able to put on an act for a brief period of time, but that will fade. Lasting confidence comes from having something to be confident about, whatever that may be. Looks certainly help, since people will be friendlier to you.

Do any of them have mustaches? No.

The men and I object to this comment:

http://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads/2009/09/tom-selleck.jpg
http://schmoesknow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/ron_burgundy.jpg
http://manilovefilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/burt-reynolds.jpeg

Not to open up a can of worms, but I don't think people are shot and killed by law enforcement just for being unattractive.

No one is shot and killed by law enforcement for being black either. Let's stop with the demagoguery.

They are completely identical interview tapes, they hear identical audio but one person thinks its coming from a hottie and the other from an ugly person. They then proceed to rank the intelligence, impressiveness, friendliness etc of the hottie much higher. Plus, even if attractiveness alone did not impart these benefits, the confidence secondary to attractiveness is an unfair advantage just as the high grades secondary to upper socioeconomic status and tutoring can be, etc. Still makes sense to relax the stats expected of ugly people to make up for their disadvantage.

It's not an assigned attractiveness, its rated. They take a bunch of pictures, show them to many many people and then use large sets of highly rated ones as their "attractive" pool. Seriously, this is an entire field of professional research, they have overcome these things.

Besides, you could make a completely parallel argument to race, you could have someone of mixed ancestry who some people perceive as white and others as latino, or even someone who is always thought to be white but is actually 1/16th from a native american tribe they hear about for the first time as a high schooler, but they get lumped into a category just fine.

And though I don't get along with @Aloft085 (because he has the mind of a young child at times but parades around pretending to be a sage due to being older than most of us), I'm glad he chimed in with sources. It is utter BS to claim attractiveness does not impart an advantage throughout highschool, college, and med admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)

Nothing subjective here man, you are objectively a smexy beast. Also, take that friend out to dinner, get a nice bottle of wine, candles, u kno

Seriously, why is this discussion still going on?

Reactions: 9 users
I meant women with mustaches LOL.
Thanks for citing all the sources for me. I thought this information was common knowledge... smh

Sorry, I said I would not respond, but I just found so many things said here to be disturbing.

Mostly this post:

Things like skin color, facial symmetry, and height also play roles.

Where are you going with this? Skin color as a quantifiable trait? Let me guess. Black/darker skin = -10 points.

Attractiveness is quantifiable to an extent. The easiest way to measure it is by looking at BMI.

BMI, really? I know some muscular guys/gals that would have BMI's in the overweight range. BMI is not a good indication of body fat percentage.

Height, for males being equally as important, will last throughout your entire life.

Height does not last throughout your entire life. You grow immediately following birth, reach a plateau somewhere in the late-teen years, and start to lose height progressively at around 40 years old. Height, like beauty, is transitory.

3) Largely, you cannot invent confidence when you have little to be confident about. You may be able to put on an act for a brief period of time, but that will fade. Lasting confidence comes from having something to be confident about, whatever that may be. Looks certainly help, since people will be friendlier to you.

Intelligence = Confidence
Wealth = Confidence
Power = Confidence
Looks = Confidence

Just because you are ugly doesn't mean you aren't confident.

1) People don't stop becoming attractive at 35. I've dated women in their early 40's who would put your 22-year-old girlfriends to shame. Men, in particular, can stay attractive for a very long time if they maintain themselves. Sean Connery, anyone?

I just said 35 as a generic age. All I was getting at was the fact that beauty, unlike race, was transitory. For the MOST of us, the 'unattractive' stage tends to be the majority of our lives (childhood and mid-to-late adulthood). Of course there are some people who stay gorgeous well into their elderly years, but they are the minority -- especially for people in highly stressful jobs, like medicine.

....and images of people from Hollywood does not qualify as a representative sample. Plastic surgery has made it hard for us to assess beauty for many of them.

I could go on and on, but I probably shouldn't have even made these comments. Good night all! Last post concerning this, I promise.

Sorry, I said I would not respond, but I just found so many things said here to be disturbing.

Mostly this post:

Where are you going with this? Skin color as a quantifiable trait? Let me guess. Black/darker skin = -10 points.

BMI, really? I know some muscular guys/gals that would have BMI's in the overweight range. BMI is not a good indication of body fat percentage.

Height does not last throughout your entire life. You grow immediately following birth, reach a plateau somewhere in the late-teen years, and start to lose height progressively at around 40 years old. Height, like beauty, is transitory.

Wealth = Confidence
Power = Confidence
Looks = Confidence

I just said 35 as a generic age. All I was getting at was the fact that beauty, unlike race, was transitory. For the MOST of us, the 'unattractive' stage tends to be the majority of our lives (childhood and mid-to-late adulthood). Of course there are some people who stay gorgeous well into their elderly years, but they are the minority -- especially for people in highly stressful jobs, like medicine.

....and images of people from Hollywood does not qualify as a representative sample. Plastic surgery has made it hard for us to assess beauty for many of them.

I could go on and on, but I probably shouldn't have even made these comments. Good night all! Last post concerning this, I promise.

Mostly this post:

Wealth = Confidence
Power = Confidence
Looks = Confidence

Thank you, bye bye. :laugh:

What a nonsense argument. Everything is transitory, because life is transitory. I suppose intelligence isn't important either, since you're likely to lose it when you're 75? Lol. Your height is one of your most permanent personal characteristics. Even if you start to shrink at 60, you're still going to be taller than your short friends who are also shrinking.

Wealth = Confidence
Power = Confidence
Looks = Confidence

That's basically what I said. Thanks. Think critically, Doctor, no one is saying that you cannot have confidence if you are ugly. What we're saying is that being attractive helps significantly with your confidence. All else being equal, an attractive person will simply be more successful than an unattractive person. All data bears that out. I cited a few sources in a previous post.

That's basically what I said. Thanks. Think critically, Doctor, no one is saying that you cannot have confidence if you are ugly. What we're saying is that being attractive helps significantly with your confidence. All else being equal, an attractive person will simply be more successful than an unattractive person. All data bears that out. I cited a few sources in a previous post.
Why are you even trying with that person lol.

I disagree with this entirely. Children are not "ugly", and in fact some are far better looking than others. Using 35 as a 'generic' age for when your looks no longer matter is just plain ridiculous. I can tell that you're young from this statement. Are most of the people obese in your area? That may be why you think this.

While you may not be as attractive as your former 25-year-old self at 50, you most certainly will be more attractive than uglier 50-year-olds. In any case, your professional career is already established. You're already playing golf with the company Vice-President regularly every Thursday afternoon. You own a $300k house and drive a Porsche. You have a beautiful wife and a few kids. You've already made it. So what if your looks fade now?

Nothing subjective here man, you are objectively a smexy beast. Also, take that friend out to dinner, get a nice bottle of wine, candles, u kno
That friend is now living in a foreign country after graduation. She also had a boyfriend during college lol.

Attractiveness can have a huge impact on how people perceive and treat you.
Probably missing the point, I'm a reasonably attractive dude and I can't express how little being attractive has helped me. I've gotten that I'm likable and personable a lot, but average looking friends (and coworkers) are beter off professionally and, well, get around more than I do because they're confident, have a massive social circle and are more fun to be around.

If anything else, it has hurt me - people have implied that I'm smarter than I look (thanks...) in my lab and it's harder to be taken seriously than it was when I was acne-riddled and overweight.
Yes, attractiveness has an impact, but like others have said, how you act is 66%-75% of the game.

Probably missing the point, I'm a reasonably attractive dude and I can't express how little being attractive has helped me. I've gotten that I'm likable and personable a lot, but average looking friends (and coworkers) are beter off professionally and, well, get around more than I do because they're confident, have a massive social circle and are more fun to be around.

If anything else, it has hurt me - people have implied that I'm smarter than I look (thanks...) in my lab and it's harder to be taken seriously than it was when I was acne-riddled and overweight.
Yes, attractiveness has an impact, but like others have said, how you act is 66%-75% of the game.

Dude, you should publish, soooo many sociologists have got this completely backwards! All along its being fat and blemished which causes people to weigh your words more, etc! But seriously, everyone has their anecdotal exceptions (even me), but the general rule is that for interviews, assessments of intelligence, leadership ability, etc, you get a big subconscious bump from those viewing you if you're attractive. And yeah, even if it is mostly how you carry yourself, you have much better odds of having perfected social skills and strong confidence if you grew up good looking.

I also am not serious about this at all, I just thought it was a funny proposal to fix a different kind of disadvantage with good research to back it. Perhaps one day there will be HUCs (historically ugly colleges)

Dude, you should publish, soooo many sociologists have got this completely backwards! All along its being fat and blemished which causes people to weigh your words more, etc! But seriously, everyone has their anecdotal exceptions (even me), but the general rule is that for interviews, assessments of intelligence, leadership ability, etc, you get a big subconscious bump from those viewing you if you're attractive. And yeah, even if it is mostly how you carry yourself, you have much better odds of having perfected social skills and strong confidence if you grew up good looking.

I also am not serious about this at all, I just thought it was a funny proposal to fix a different kind of disadvantage with good research to back it. Perhaps one day there will be HUCs (historically ugly colleges)
You can disagree without mocking me over it. -.-

I'm aware that my "exception" is anecdotal and I never tried to imply it was the every-day case. Still, being attractive is just one part of being viewed favorably (as you're probably aware) and I just wanted to add my experience to that. Perhaps if I was a 9 or a 10, it would overshadow my lack of confidence, but I'm definitely not a male model. ;)

I'm also not sure if attractiveness is important for all fields. In science and certain fields like engineering, looking nerdy (but still professional) might be ideal - because then you look like you know your ****. But when I was working in a very relaxed lab full-time, I wore gym clothes to dress down a bit.

Last edited:

To bring this thread full circle I would like to say that I'm panicking because I've gotten in to all the schools where I wore my glasses to the interview and silence from the ones I wore my contacts.

I think that ends the discussion!

Reactions: 2 users
To bring this thread full circle I would like to say that I'm panicking because I've gotten in to all the schools where I wore my glasses to the interview and silence from the ones I wore my contacts.

I think that ends the discussion!
Hey man maybe you look a lot better in glasses, some people have the face for it

Also note to self get glasses for interviews

okay, i just got around to skimming the last 3-4 pages. what the **** am I reading?

Reactions: 5 users
okay, i just got around to skimming the last 3-4 pages. what the **** am I reading?
I jokingly proposed that we should add ugliness as an affirmative action category since it can cause you to miss out on many advantages (more, I'd say, than someone who is 1/16th native american or has a parent from Peru). Premed015 proceeded to take me seriously and tried to argue against overwhelming sociological evidence for halo effect/benefits in perception of attractive people, and then Aloft85 chimed in with his usual conceited, such-great-wisdom-comes-with-my-advanced-age attitude and provided sources backing me up. Also Ace and I lamented over the pains of forbidden love.

Just usual panic thread stuff, u kno

I jokingly proposed that we should add ugliness as an affirmative action category since it can cause you to miss out on many advantages (more, I'd say, than someone who is 1/16th native american or has a parent from Peru). Premed015 proceeded to take me seriously and try to argue against overwhelming sociological evidence for halo effect/benefits in perception of attractive people, and then Aloft85 chimed in with his usual conceited, such-great-wisdom-comes-with-my-advanced-age attitude and provided sources backing me up. Also Ace and I lamented over the pains of forbidden love.

Just usual panic thread stuff, u kno
Whew. I actually wasn't sure at all if you were joking when you started this topic.

Whew. I actually wasn't sure at all if you were joking when you started this topic.

I usually don't outright troll or antagonize people, but I do love presenting controversial opinions which I'd say I actually support half the time
IMO the best threads are the ones where people get all in a huff about rigor disparity between undergrads, reasons for going into medicine, questionable validity of the MCAT, the fairness of only some minorities benefiting from affirmative action, etc

Sure fire way to get in medical outside of MCAT, GPA, EC, and shadowing..
here are the qualities= a 28 year old immigrant African-American lesbian female who wears glasses and has prosthetic legs.

Guaranteed admittance.

Reactions: 3 users
why study when it's all about the face

That's what I'm sayin, just be born a really good looking part native american, go to one of those ridiculously easy dump people state schools, ace the useless and overhyped MCAT, charm your way through interviews and get yoself a MD

edit: premed015, the above is self-referential satire, don't be starting anything ite

Have a more discerning mind about serious issues please. Thanks.

So you're what, first semester freshman? The hell do you have to freak out about, your job right now is just to get a good grade in general chemistry and learn your alcohol tolerance

So you're what, first semester freshman? The hell do you have to freak out about, your job right now is just to get a good grade in general chemistry and learn your alcohol tolerance
I'm joking. I'm actually about to be a sophomore.

I'm joking. I'm actually about to be a sophomore.

Still too early to panic.....really absurd that people that didn't even apply this cycle are in a state of panic. Seriously, enjoy college life.

Still too early to panic.....really absurd that people that didn't even apply this cycle are in a state of panic. Seriously, enjoy college life.
I am not panicking whatsoever. I was joking... about panicking entirely..

Interesting, not a lot of people are going into their sophomore year in November

Maybe he means credit wise? Idk why a sophomore would panic about applying to med school though.....Id be more worried about my classes, mcat or enjoying life...