2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My aunt is an MD at URochester and asked me over thanksgiving if I was planning to apply DO as I didn't have any acceptances yet...

Good times.

Or you can actually ask the question because you know... it's a forum where people talk.
Talking?!? I just creep on people!!!

Members don't see this ad.

And even if they limit who can view their profile, if you simply do a search and enter their username under "Posted by Member", you see all of their posts, thereby essentially rendering that privacy option useless.
You've got some impressive stalking skills.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And even if they limit who can view their profile, if you simply do a search and enter their username under "Posted by Member", you see all of their posts, thereby essentially rendering that privacy option useless.
lol this is creeper status 101

Reactions: 1 user
TBH, I resent that. I'm by no means rich, or even UMC, but thank you for assuming that anyway....

I don't think you are, I was jabbing at you in response to the jabs about WashU being unheard of lol

Just letting you know that equating your experience as an "unattractive" person to the "burden" of being "Native American" comes off as slightly offensive and insensitive to other people of color. There is absolutely no comparison at all and I say this as someone who holds onto multiple statuses of disadvantage (woman, person of color, immigrant, gay) and as someone who was bullied as a child for being scrawny, needing seven years of orthodontic work, and being "too brown" for the kids in a white, affluent South American school.

I am 1/16th NA from my mother, and I was obese and acne ridden until late high school. Believe me, the latter was a much greater barrier to a happy, healthy and thriving academic career. Take your holier than thou assumptions back to tumblr, I have never claimed anything about actually being NA and living in the crap conditions of most reservations or similar which would merit your little lecture

Edit: just want to add that I never put partial NA status on college apps etc because I had zero connection to it and was 15/16th white as they come, and I think its complete BS for that type of thing to qualify you as URM. Actually having the NA experience with the terrible reservation education systems, rampant poverty and alcoholism etc I would agree puts up much greater barriers than being ugly does

Last edited:
I don't think you are, I was jabbing at you in response to the jabs about WashU being unheard of lol

I am 1/16th NA from my mother, and I was obese and acne ridden until late high school. Believe me, the latter was a much greater barrier to a happy, healthy and thriving academic career. Take your holier than thou assumptions back to tumblr, I have never claimed anything about actually being NA and living in the crap conditions of most reservations or similar which would merit your little lecture

Edit: just want to add that I never put partial NA status on college apps etc because I had zero connection to it and was 15/16th white as they come, and I think its complete BS for that type of thing to qualify you as URM. Actually having the NA experience with the terrible reservation education systems, rampant poverty and alcoholism etc I would agree puts up much greater barriers than being ugly does

1. Never said anything about you claiming to be NA. Go back and read properly, since you're on this tip of being rude.

2. Did not make any assumptions. Just told you the two things are NOT comparable. They are not, regardless of what you want to claim. Like you said, some statuses provide for greater barriers than being "ugly" does.

3. Stop it with the hostility. The only one being rude here is you. Do not belittle my opinions and tell me to go back on Tumblr because that is not where I go to be educated. The only one here exemplifying the behavior of someone who is incredibly self-satisfied is you.

Thanks dude! NYMC. Not too psyched about the MMI format but I'm in no position to complain.

Posted using SDN Mobile
I had an interview there a little while ago. MMI is way better than traditional interview style, trust me. haha.

1. Never said anything about you claiming to be NA. Go back and read properly, since you're on this tip of being rude.

2. Did not make any assumptions. Just told you the two things are NOT comparable. They are not, regardless of what you want to claim. Like you said, some statuses provide for greater barriers than being "ugly" does.

3. Stop it with the hostility. The only one being rude here is you. Do not belittle my opinions and tell me to go back on Tumblr because that is not where I go to be educated. The only one here exemplifying the behavior of someone who is incredibly self-satisfied is you.

You absolutely assumed that I was speaking outside of experience and offending the people who it actually applied to, and I wasn't. My comparison (1/16th to very unattractive) absolutely holds and only incredibly thin skinned SJWs would find it offensive or applicable to people of color. Like it or not, your "let me educate you, look at all my credentials of existing outside the straight white male citizen sphere" is Tumblresque. But let's pretend you've corrected my insensitive ways and given me an enlightened perspective so the thread can return to people freaking out about their future

Given how defeated I feel right now, the nicest thing I can think of is the possibility of being able to laugh at this state of mind 4-5 months in the future.

Reactions: 4 users
I had an interview there a little while ago. MMI is way better than traditional interview style, trust me. haha.

Really?
I enjoyed the trad interview I had when applying for dental school.

It says the MMI will last 80 minutes. This seems a little unnerving.

Posted using SDN Mobile

How was everyone's Thanksgiving? I got asked 10000x about my medical school applications by family members. My uncle apparently used Google (found SDN, I guess) and became an 'expert' on the admissions process. It was like pouring alcohol on a fresh wound. :(

I'm not too sure if I'm looking forward to Christmas...

Reactions: 6 users
Really?
I enjoyed the trad interview I had when applying for dental school.

It says the MMI will last 80 minutes. This seems a little unnerving.

Posted using SDN Mobile
It's broken up into segments with breaks in between. It flies by and it's really fun as well. Trust me it's no sweat at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a December massacre! 8 rejections in one day!

Given how defeated I feel right now, the nicest thing I can think of is the possibility of being able to laugh at this state of mind 4-5 months in the future.

Let's just try to take advantage of the holidays for now. But yeah it's a terrifying feeling when you feel your dream is like water in your hands. Hang in there.

Let's just try to take advantage of the holidays for now. But yeah it's a terrifying feeling when you feel your dream is like water in your hands. Hang in there.

Thanks. First MMI is friday and I'm looking forward to that.

Honestly, I appreciate it. I know that apps are a crapshoot sometimes but this process has gone completely counter to what I expected so far. There's still time left though, or so everyone keeps saying.

It's a December massacre! 8 rejections in one day!

Atleast I'm not this guy! (Sad attempt at humor)

Ugh, sorry to hear that. what's the rest of stuff like?

Thanks. First MMI is friday and I'm looking forward to that.

Honestly, I appreciate it. I know that apps are a crapshoot sometimes but this process has gone completely counter to what I expected so far. There's still time left though, or so everyone keeps saying.

Yeah this whole process IS super unpredictable, but for some reason I like it that way. But good luck on your MMI man, go and kill it!

Last edited:
Atleast I'm not this guy! (Sad attempt at humor)

Ugh, sorry to hear that. what's the rest of stuff like?

Silent on all my instate (Cali) apps save for UCSF, which I've appealed. Just a handful of OOS's still alive pre-interview but silent and a few holds post-interview. Rejections are starting to catch up to the silents.

I thought for CERTAIN I would be ambushed with rejections today too, but somehow I'm still sitting on nothing but silence. . . A part of me would not even mind getting a rejection, just to confirm that schools still know I exist! (I have been complete at many since early august). but eight in one day is rough, really sorry about that. good luck to everyone still waiting :)

Silent on all my instate (Cali) apps save for UCSF, which I've appealed. Just a handful of OOS's still alive pre-interview but silent and a few holds post-interview. Rejections are starting to catch up to the silents.

What do you mean 'appeal'? Is there a process for OOS Cali applicants as well? I haven't heard from UCSF and UCSD and was invited to complete secondaries by both.

What do you mean 'appeal'? Is there a process for OOS Cali applicants as well? I haven't heard from UCSF and UCSD and was invited to complete secondaries by both.

Pre-secondary rejection at UCSF. According to their site, you can appeal this.

I really feel like I should have applied to more midwest schools: iowa carver, minnesota...etc.

Pre-secondary rejection at UCSF. According to their site, you can appeal this.

Ah. Good luck!

I thought for CERTAIN I would be ambushed with rejections today too, but somehow I'm still sitting on nothing but silence. . . A part of me would not even mind getting a rejection, just to confirm that schools still know I exist! (I have been complete at many since early august). but eight in one day is rough, really sorry about that. good luck to everyone still waiting :)
I have had the same exact feeling all day long and got nothing but silence too!!

It's broken up into segments with breaks in between. It flies by and it's really fun as well. Trust me it's no sweat at all.

The optimism is definitely refreshing and much appreciated fellow NYCbro.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Posted using SDN Mobile

MMI's have stations. You essentially rotate through a few scenarios. You aren't just sitting with one person for that long!

Yikes. That is rough. Would post a puppy gif but I'm on mobile
Here's your puppy gif. That's rough!
h6FE09D4D

Reactions: 3 users

Posted using SDN Mobile
No problem, dude. PM me if you have any questions before your interview.

Little early here but the PANIC IS ON D:! ~Senior, finishing BS this spring semester. Sub 30 MCAT. Following all sub30 threads and keeping up - hearing about tons of IIs, and tons of rejections for people sub 30 thus far --> Me thinking foreshadowing for my upcoming cycle: Cue: Panic

Little early here but the PANIC IS ON D:! ~Senior, finishing BS this spring semester. Sub 30 MCAT. Following all sub30 threads and keeping up - hearing about tons of IIs, and tons of rejections for people sub 30 thus far --> Me thinking foreshadowing for my upcoming cycle: Cue: Panic

Is this really still considered early for the panicking to begin? My neuroticism and my common sense/rationality are blurring together into one large ball of confusion so naturally I have just chosen panic as my default emotion.

Applied to 16 MD schools (one in-state, the rest mainly private). sent secondaries in by august or early september.

0 IIs.
0 holds.
1 rejection.
silence everywhere else.

Had a very realistic dream that I was accepted to my first choice. Wake up very happy and then panic all over again

Reactions: 7 users
Is this really still considered early for the panicking to begin? My neuroticism and my common sense/rationality are blurring together into one large ball of confusion so naturally I have just chosen panic as my default emotion.

Applied to 16 MD schools (one in-state, the rest mainly private). sent secondaries in by august or early september.

0 IIs.
0 holds.
1 rejection.
silence everywhere else.

Mhmm definitely not too early to panic. I'm seeing applicants with my identical stats not getting IIs and just receiving rejections from where they did interview, its pretty scary, I don't know what I can do to not be in that spot in a few months when I apply this cycle D:!

0 IIs.
0 holds.
1 rejection.
silence everywhere else.

It's time to panic. Although it's still possible to get IIs later, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I know a guy who is in med school right now, he didn't get any II's until January and eventually got 4 of them. It's too early to call it quits people!

Reactions: 8 users
I know a guy who is in med school right now, he didn't get any II's until January and eventually got 4 of them. It's too early to call it quits people!
I know of even crazier situations where someone applied DO last minute and ended up getting a few interviews and eventually getting into a school off waitlist during the summer. It happens. Another one of my friends got an interview in March (might have received it in February), and now attends that school. It does happen.

Having said that though, those examples are quite rare. I feel like most of the interviews given in the new year tend to be what I call "sloppy second" interviews, which are typically interview spots that form as a result of people cancelling or withdrawing from consideration. At this point, unless you're waiting on several post-interview decisions, it might be wise to consider applying to some DO schools, or to consider what you can do to improve your candidacy for re-application.

For schools we have been rejected at should we contact them now for feedback or wait until March/April?

Omggggggg!!!
Just received my first interview invite!!!!!
I'm speechless and shaking right now.

Reactions: 39 users
Omggggggg!!!
That's amazing!! Congratulations! I know the feeling, there is nothing quite like the first II after weeks and weeks of waiting and hoping and doubting yourself. There is still hope people :)

Omggggggg!!!
Go forth and beast that interview. Make sure to prepare well too. That includes reading up on ACA, ethics, the school's website, SDN interview feedback, and doing mock interviews. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I really appreciate everyone's kind regards. Despite this being the panic thread, it has really allowed me to calm down a bit over the past month and realize there are others who are in a similar position and if it's meant to be it'll happen eventually.

Reactions: 5 users
I really appreciate everyone's kind regards. Despite this being the panic thread, it has really allowed me to calm down a bit over the past month and realize there are others who are in a similar position and if it's meant to be it'll happen eventually.
I love how business-like and calm you were when posting your ii on the school thread and freaking out here :) congrats!! I've really been rooting for you!!

Reactions: 2 users