2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah but I have been out of school for a year and a half already so really want to get back to that setting. I'm really hungry at this point so I'm confident I can succeed in any program. But you have a valid point.

It let's me check the schools I want but when I go to pay a message says that the app will open July 2015 and I should come back to submit. Have no idea why it's doing that

Maybe message them through the portal, I did that twice and they always responded within a day. Your app probably wouldn't be released to new schools until next week anyway

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe message them through the portal, I did that twice and they always responded within a day. Your app probably wouldn't be released to new schools until next week anyway

Awesome will do that now. Thanks for your help!

Great start to the new year huh lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was panicking too but got my first acceptance recently. Don't lose hope!

Reactions: 3 users
I have yet to receive a single rejection or interview invite. Is this common? DID I EVEN APPLY?
Lol. No joke, when I hadn't heard from my state school for months after submitting my application, my mom kept asking me, "Are you sure they got your application? Can you call and make sure they have it?" It was cute.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say I'm panicking so much as I'm experiencing full-on depression. Granted, how I feel about my chances change day-to-day, but this is one of those bad days.

GPA - 3.6, MCAT - 36, complete at most schools at the end of August/early September. As of today, I have received 5 pre-interview rejections, not II's, and silence from the rest. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS ****?

Ugh.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't say I'm panicking so much as I'm experiencing full-on depression. Granted, how I feel about my chances change day-to-day, but this is one of those bad days.

GPA - 3.6, MCAT - 36, complete at most schools at the end of August/early September. As of today, I have received 5 pre-interview rejections, not II's, and silence from the rest. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS ****?

Ugh.

Oh no, sorry to hear that :( it's easy to get really discouraged, especially that your stats are really good so this is probably unexpected. Is there anything you can think of that might be a "red flag"? How are your ECs?

You can still get an ii so don't lose hope and send updates if you have any. I'm still hoping but also thinking that June is not that far away...

Oh no, sorry to hear that :( it's easy to get really discouraged, especially that your stats are really good so this is probably unexpected. Is there anything you can think of that might be a "red flag"? How are your ECs?

You can still get an ii so don't lose hope and send updates if you have any. I'm still hoping but also thinking that June is not that far away...

I am fairly confident in my EC's. Two-year varsity sports captain, undergraduate thesis, a couple of publications since graduation, shadowing. I do have a disciplinary record (not bad, just stupid undergrad stuff) and my school didn't send out LOR's until 8/27, so my application was complete a little late.

I am fairly confident in my EC's. Two-year varsity sports captain, undergraduate thesis, a couple of publications since graduation, shadowing. I do have a disciplinary record (not bad, just stupid undergrad stuff) and my school didn't send out LOR's until 8/27, so my application was complete a little late.

Hmm, do you have any clinical experience (other than shadowing) and community service?

Your MCAT is awesome. If you're lacking clinical volunteering, I'd start that asap and send update letters. Worst case scenario, you'll have volunteering hours ready for the next cycle.

Ditto on what @PlasticBag said. Lack of clinical experience can kill an otherwise solid application.

Reactions: 2 users
Ditto on what @PlasticBag said. Lack of clinical experience can kill an otherwise solid application.

Hmm, do you have any clinical experience (other than shadowing) and community service?

Your MCAT is awesome. If you're lacking clinical volunteering, I'd start that asap and send update letters. Worst case scenario, you'll have volunteering hours ready for the next cycle.

To answer the question, no, I don't have any besides what I'd describe as some extensive shadowing.

Dear Dream School,

I know there are many qualified applicants out there, but I can bring something unique to your institution because I would shave my head and donate hair for you, swallow your lead and prevent despair for you, puncture my skin and donate blood for you, and drink your gin and drain the flood for you.

Sincerely,
Xena

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had the sudden realization today that for an average applicant, rolling admissions doesn't really seem much different than regular. Supposedly with rolling, submitting your app earlier gives you a better chance. But as an average applicant they'll probably look at my app and set it aside. But what's the chance of them actually looking at my application again when they have thousands more to look at? Submitted all my secondaries within 2 weeks of receiving them, so been complete since mid-July to mid-August at every school. Applied to 18 schools but only rejected from 6 so far. 3.6 gpa/32 MCAT.. should I be holding out hope that they'll still take a second glance at my application?

I had the sudden realization today that for an average applicant, rolling admissions doesn't really seem much different than regular. Supposedly with rolling, submitting your app earlier gives you a better chance. But as an average applicant they'll probably look at my app and set it aside. But what's the chance of them actually looking at my application again when they have thousands more to look at? Submitted all my secondaries within 2 weeks of receiving them, so been complete since mid-July to mid-August at every school. Applied to 18 schools but only rejected from 6 so far. 3.6 gpa/32 MCAT.. should I be holding out hope that they'll still take a second glance at my application?

Hey so I thought the same thing the first time I applied. I didn't get an interview till march where I was then waitlisted and eventually rejected. But this time I still applied early, applied to lower tier schools, and I got more clinical experience, better LORs, and did a SMP. But my scores are still slightly below average. LizzyM 63. I applied to 26 MD schools and have gotten 4 interviews (1 acceptance - just got yesterday, 1 waitlist - same school as the 1st time, and 2 pending), 2 holds, 1 rejection. I honestly think applying early helped cuz of those 4. 3 were one of the first I submitted in July. But I think it is more than numbers (unless you're applying to upper tier schools). Especially the clinical experience which is what I was lacking when I first applied. Also my secondaries were written better and overall were "more interesting." Oh yeah, and I haven't even heard from any of my state schools (FL).

There's multiple factors in the admissions and while average numbers aren't gonna get you the August interviews. Your experiences and passion can still get you interviews later on. My friend just got her first interview of the season this week. So it's too early to give up. It's not over yet!

That is quite a bit IMO
It's still not the same as shadowing though. Clinical experiences aren't necessarily about the numbers, but what you can learn from them. I can volunteer at a hospital for 3 years in their gift shop or delivering flowers, and learn less about the profession than someone who spent 3 days shadowing a family medicine doctor.

considering my low LizzyM (~64-66) and no shadowing, it isn't really that much to be of help. my app was by far definitely research heavy
Yeah, research and shadowing are both important, but if I had to pick one and not the other, I would pick shadowing. It's not just a matter of convincing med schools that you can handle work, it's convincing them that you know what you're getting yourself into.

As one admissions dean I met said, "You don't have to be a genius to become a doctor. You just need to be smarter than average."

They're more worried about people dropping out because they discover that they don't like the profession than people dropping out because they have trouble handling the science.

Yeah, research and shadowing are both important, but if I had to pick one and not the other, I would pick shadowing. It's not just a matter of convincing med schools that you can handle work, it's convincing them that you know what you're getting yourself into.

As one admissions dean I met said, "You don't have to be a genius to become a doctor. You just need to be smarter than average."

They're more worried about people dropping out because they discover that they don't like the profession than people dropping out because they have trouble handling the science.

I have a very limited shadowing experience but I honestly hated it, felt really useless and in the way, and had some ethical concerns ("does this man really feel comfortable with me watching his rectal exam just so I can figure out if this profession is for me?"). I think if you volunteer in a hospital, you likely have a good idea of what a doctor does. Besides, there are so many different medical specialties that you're not really getting a good picture of what medicine has to offer. Let's say I shadow a surgeon for fifty hours and do not like what I see. Is this a good reason to not go into medicine? You'd really need to shadow also a few other specialties before deciding this is definitely not for you...

Started looking at the difference between Rad Tech and Rad Therapy in case I don't get in ... lololol

I have a very limited shadowing experience but I honestly hated it, felt really useless and in the way, and had some ethical concerns ("does this man really feel comfortable with me watching his rectal exam just so I can figure out if this profession is for me?"). I think if you volunteer in a hospital, you likely have a good idea of what a doctor does. Besides, there are so many different medical specialties that you're not really getting a good picture of what medicine has to offer. Let's say I shadow a surgeon for fifty hours and do not like what I see. Is this a good reason to not go into medicine? You'd really need to shadow also a few other specialties before deciding this is definitely not for you...
I have mixed feelings about the nature of shadowing also (I share your ethical concerns). I usually tried to hide from view while the physician asked the patient if they were comfortable with me being there so that my presence wouldn't pressure them into saying yes.

And I agree with what you said about specialties. That's why in my opinion the best doctors to shadow are family medicine because they'll allow one to see the essential features of medicine, such as comprehensive care and building a strong relationship with the patient. It's no secret that most schools also feel that way, though it may not be talked about enough. But a lot of pre-meds feel the urge to shadow obscure specialties, and while it's not a bad thing, it should not substitute for seeing the care that most Americans receive (primary care).

I considered shadowing to have been a valuable experience to make sure I knew where I was going career-wise, and I've known people who wanted to become doctors until they shadowed, so it definitely has a place in the admissions process. I just wish there was some kind of standardized procedure for helping prospective students gain shadowing experience without having us feel intrusive/sketchy.

considering my low LizzyM (~64-66) and no shadowing, it isn't really that much to be of help. my app was by far definitely research heavy

You were accepted somewhere and have plenty of clinical experience, but you think not shadowing is "killing" your app? What?

You were accepted somewhere and have plenty of clinical experience, but you think not shadowing is "killing" your app? What?

haha i guess we all have our own varying degrees of "killing"

I remember someone mentioning earlier this cycle that we should start a thread called the "Accepted Applicants Panic Thread".

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Handing in my panic card, folks. Got my only acceptance 4 months after applying and only had 2 interviews. All you need to do is kill that one interview!

Reactions: 12 users
Time to start prepping for 2015-2016 cycle. :/

I remember someone mentioning earlier this cycle that we should start a thread called the "Accepted Applicants Panic Thread".
I think I said that. lol I will slap myself if I find myself panicking about anything. What you worried about, homie?

Reactions: 3 users
My panic card has been upgraded to Platinum, now with complimentary depression.

Reactions: 17 users
Hello Everyone,

So, I have my first interview coming up next week and I'm worried about certain stuff. I was hoping those who already interviewed can provide some advice to placate my nerves.

I feel confident discussing my written application, explaining why medicine, why this school, future goals, what I could bring, etc. I'm worried about any ethical questions or questions about the profession I might not know how to answer. I've done my share of reading of ethical journals but I guess I am worried I will not be able to defend my way of thinking strongly enough. I was never a good debater. How can I form confident and well-structured answers to ethical questions. Also, I dread the why not do PhD or become a social worker? I have answers for these but I'm just worried they are not as strong enough as they could be. Maybe, I'm being too much of a perfectionist.. but it got me here so far.. lol.

Also, I was thinking of bringing a simple portfolio that has a notepad. I'm not going to write anything down during the interview but I wanted to have copies of my application and recent abstracts. Many people also suggested it looks professional. What do you think?

Lastly, when I had my committee interview a while back the interviewers were writing notes down as I spoke, which sort of threw me off. I assumed they would just listen to me and I would be making eye contact with them throughout. Did any of your interviewers for med school write down notes as you spoke? It just seems weird to talk passionately to someone and they aren't even looking at you...
Thanks!

Hello Everyone,

So, I have my first interview coming up next week and I'm worried about certain stuff. I was hoping those who already interviewed can provide some advice to placate my nerves.

I feel confident discussing my written application, explaining why medicine, why this school, future goals, what I could bring, etc. I'm worried about any ethical questions or questions about the profession I might not know how to answer. I've done my share of reading of ethical journals but I guess I am worried I will not be able to defend my way of thinking strongly enough. I was never a good debater. How can I form confident and well-structured answers to ethical questions. Also, I dread the why not do PhD or become a social worker? I have answers for these but I'm just worried they are not as strong enough as they could be. Maybe, I'm being too much of a perfectionist.. but it got me here so far.. lol.

Also, I was thinking of bringing a simple portfolio that has a notepad. I'm not going to write anything down during the interview but I wanted to have copies of my application and recent abstracts. Many people also suggested it looks professional. What do you think?

Lastly, when I had my committee interview a while back the interviewers were writing notes down as I spoke, which sort of threw me off. I assumed they would just listen to me and I would be making eye contact with them throughout. Did any of your interviewers for med school write down notes as you spoke? It just seems weird to talk passionately to someone and they aren't even looking at you...
Thanks!
What kind of interview is it? Traditional or MMI?

The ethical questions are meant to analyze how well you think on your feet so don't worry about having scripted answers to a myriad of questions, it's just not feasible. Go with your gut and try to explain whatever position you take. There's no "right" or "wrong" answer as far as they're concerned. The ethical questions I found were the least stressful since they're open ended, don't worry about them too much.

It sounds like you have most of the bases covered, so I suggest toning down the nerves and upping the confidence!

What kind of interview is it? Traditional or MMI?

The ethical questions are meant to analyze how well you think on your feet so don't worry about having scripted answers to a myriad of questions, it's just not feasible. Go with your gut and try to explain whatever position you take. There's no "right" or "wrong" answer as far as they're concerned. The ethical questions I found were the least stressful since they're open ended, don't worry about them too much.

It sounds like you have most of the bases covered, so I suggest toning down the nerves and upping the confidence!

Traditional, Two 30-Minute Interviews. I guess since this is my first interview I'm full of anxiety. But, yeah I definitely need to calm down and exude confidence. Thanks!

What if it's a new paper publication which I'm thinking of using as visual aid (basically walk through the figures briefly) while explaining my research (if they ask about it)?

Don't show them anything unless the interviewer (or the dean) specifically asks you for additional relevant information.
Are your interviews open file or closed?

Yup, I heard this before. I do not plan on offering anything. Both interviews are open. I simply plan on having the portfolio on my lap. That's okay right?

What if it's a new paper publication which I'm thinking of using as visual aid (basically walk through the figures briefly) while explaining my research (if they ask about it)?
I wouldn't risk it. No one likes a pedantic applicant! Your call.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks!

Most interviews tend to be conversational. You could see if the school specific thread has anything but you have probably already over prepared. They may ask for some clarity about an aspect of your application if they have seen it and will almost certainly ask why medicine other than that it may just proceed in a random direction. At every interview they told me this and it is an almost unusable piece of advice, but try to relax. Your answers to ethical questions do not need to sound like you are the president, just coherent and that you gave some consideration to alternate viewpoints. People remember general impressions more than specifics. Good luck.

Not really panicking, but it'd sure be nice to get some love from in-state MD schools. I guess it's good to not have received rejections. That has to count for something! :p

Another week with nothing! I feel a lot of schools have given me a silent rejection lol i just want 1 interview at least. :(

I'm going to get myself a puppy. It's the best way to go through this process without being eaten alive by stress-induced ulcers.

Can I finally join you guys? No interviews yet, only silence. :(

No rejections no interviews , complete mid August, what's the deal?

Very odd that a lot of us haven't heard anything. Is the process usually like this or is this year an exception?

Very odd that a lot of us haven't heard anything. Is the process usually like this or is this year an exception?
Doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me. Keep in mind that the majority of applicants don't get accepted anywhere each cycle.

Doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me. Keep in mind that the majority of applicants don't get accepted anywhere each cycle.
Ss5ZtKl.gif

Reactions: 15 users