2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cheer up guys!
42285731b2e5744f4c9bed963653349da792d905d19e56ddbbc2fc80e9aae834.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would let someone do this to me for an ii
Let's not go down the poop hot dog path ...

As for me, just had an interview this past Friday. I felt it went great, but now the waiting commences .. (and still waiting on another school from back in November .. no interview response until March :( ) Hopefully one more interview can come my way in the next month or so.

Reactions: 2 users
Let's not go down the poop hot dog path ...

As for me, just had an interview this past Friday. I felt it went great, but now the waiting commences .. (and still waiting on another school from back in November .. no interview response until March :( ) Hopefully one more interview can come my way in the next month or so.

This is the panic thread. Poop hot dog always equals yes.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I decided that I need to join in on all the fun here after the past few sleepless nights. Interviewed at 1 school (1st one wasn't so great, but really hit it off with the 2nd interviewer). Applied only in Texas, so judgment day is very soon... :inpain:
:boom:

Turning in my panic card folks. I'm going to medical school!

Reactions: 33 users
So I finally decided to not hold my DO spot because I truly did not feel happy doing so and disliked the $2000 bill. Let's hope that I don't regret this decision. My panic mode has turned on, as I still have no MD acceptance from 5 MD IIs. :drowning:

So I finally decided to not hold my DO spot because I truly did not feel happy doing so and disliked the $2000 bill. Let's hope that I don't regret this decision. My panic mode has turned on, as I still have no MD acceptance from 5 MD IIs. :drowning:
I'm anxious for you lol....I hope it works out!

Best of luck! That's a scary position to be in. Keep us posted.

Reactions: 1 user
Post-interview odds of acceptance are like 30% at the minimum. Let's say you have the bare minimum chance of getting accepted at each school with these odds. The odds of getting rejected at every single one is (0.7)^5 which is around 16%. I'd say you're most likely sitting pretty on an MD acceptance!

Reading the comments scare me but yes, can't turn back now someone has my spot now. I'm riding on faith now. Hahaha @NYCdude I also did that same statistical calculations. I made an educated leap of faith to maximize my profit over loss - if all goes right

That is the scariest thing ever. Good for you for not settling for something you did not want though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Think I might have blown my interview at my dream med school today. Looks like I'm going to be 0/2 with MD interviews. #$@#

aww :(( what school was it? why do you think you blew it?
Think I might have blown my interview at my dream med school today. Looks like I'm going to be 0/2 with MD interviews. #$@#

People handing in their panic cards re-allocates the panic to those of us left... congrats to you guys tho haha!!

joining the panic club... 3.3-3.5 GPA/ 33-35 MCAT with zero MD II.
applied to ~32 schools, received pre-II rejections from about 1/3, holds from another 1/3, and absolute silence from the last 1/3 since being complete in late July/early August :(

Turning in my panic card. First acceptance today. Good luck to all of you brave souls still waiting.

Reactions: 25 users
Turning in my panic card as well, just got accepted to my top choice! Good luck to everyone else!

Reactions: 17 users
Looks like its time to join the penguin club...

Last edited:
Turning in my panic card. First acceptance today. Good luck to all of you brave souls still waiting.

Woo hoo! Numbers don't lie; with that many IIs you were bound to get at least one! Congrats!!

law of conservation of panic
LOL You ought to get an interview for that quip alone. It demonstrates "an intuitive ability to apply established scientific principles in a myriad of psychosocial arenas, a skill that will be of tantamount importance when diagnosing and treating patients."

Do you mean the deposit for your DO school was $2000? And is it not refundable or something if you pay it?

Do MD schools know if one has been offered acceptance to a DO school if one were to re-apply?

Do you mean the deposit for your DO school was $2000? And is it not refundable or something if you pay it?
Yes
And yes, non-refundable. I had no idea DO deposits were like that.

Do MD schools know if one has been offered acceptance to a DO school if one were to re-apply?

I think some schools ask on the secondary. I remember one school asked on one I filled out this cycle but I wasn't sure if it was acceptance or matriculation they were asking about

Yes

Wow...I can't believe that's how it works. That just makes the schools themselves seem really insecure.

Probably with good reason. How many people apply to DO schools as more than a backup?
True, but this DO school in California will more than likely fill its class with very qualified med students - so even if they just refunded back deposits like MD schools do, they would still make the money needed right? idk it personally seemed odd to me, and made me question what exactly I'm signing up for.

Looks like its time to join the penguin club...

Welcome to Penguin Club. The first rule of Penguin Club is: you do not talk about Penguin Club. The second rule of Penguin Club is: you DO NOT talk about Penguin Club! Third rule of Penguin Club: if someone yells "fudge!", goes insane, or withdraws, the cycle is over. Fourth rule: only one application to a cycle. Fifth rule: one cycle at a time, people. Sixth rule: the cycles are bare brains. No crying, no flirting, no bribing. Seventh rule: cycles will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule: if this is your first time at Penguin Club, you have to fly.

Last edited:
Welcome to Penguin Club. The first rule of Penguin Club is: you do not talk about Penguin Club. The second rule of Penguin Club is: you DO NOT talk about Penguin Club! Third rule of Penguin Club: if someone yells "fudge!", goes insane, or withdraws, the cycle is over. Fourth rule: only one application to a cycle. Fifth rule: one cycle at a time, people. Sixth rule: the cycles are bare brains. No crying, no flirting, no bribing. Seventh rule: cycles will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule: if this is your first time at Penguin Club, you have to fly.

Thanks for taking me in! Here I goooo

nJvE8xd.gif

I want to turn in my panic card, but it's been nail-gunned to my head. Congrats to those who are no longer among us!

Just got my 4th II this past weekend and scheduled in a month. Keep your chin up people:0 At least I have not received a post-interview rejection just yet. Still waiting from 19 schools, and 2 holds.

Yes

This is criminal. Honestly shouldn't be allowed. It's absurd and really hurts applicants. Shame on schools that do this.

I'm serious. This forces students of limited resources to give up the rest of their cycle for a potentially lesser acceptance. Schools that do this should be penalized. The 'AAMC' of DO schools needs to get its whip out and lay down the law if it has any sort of spine.

Last edited:
just found this thread and not sure if it made me feel better or worse haha. Applied to 25 MD schools, 5 DOs. 1 MD interview (still waiting to hear), 4 rejections and 2 holds. the rest complete science. Needless to say, the panic started a while ago, but nice to know im not alone

just got rejected by school #17 .... :( silence at 17 more schools

You completed secondaries for 34 schools 0_o. I was dragging my feet with 20.

43, actually xD didn't include 2 withdraws, 4 Holds, 1 Waitlist, 1 post-interview wait, and 1 acceptance

Same! After the tenth version of "why should we accept you?", I started thinking "maybe you're right, maybe you should not accept me!".

Reactions: 5 users
Can you guys give me advices for MMI? The MMI I'll have only have prompts and 10 minutes to talk, nothing else.

practice organizing your thoughts and speaking them outloud to someone coherantly. Read up on general ethics guidelines and define your own values.

Post #1,300. My OCD had to...

Edit: damn, so close!

Last edited:
Same! After the tenth version of "why should we accept you?", I started thinking "maybe you're right, maybe you should not accept me!".

This. I applied to 22 schools but on the 21st secondary it asked, "why do you want to go here? "And I was like "I guess I don't" so I stopped.

Reactions: 13 users