2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I changed my avatar to a penguin, and I'm complaining away. Do you suppose that'll move the IIs along?

Members don't see this ad.

Having completed all of my secondaries since early August, the following are options I have considered:
1. Taking a 20 credit course load and switching to pharmacy
2. Transferring from my OOS school to my IS school to get an engineering BS in two years
3. Applying to a BME masters
4. I dug out my "how to become a quant" guide from freshman year and talked to a friend in finance.

I'm not sure how I feel about penguins. I hope everyone is doing well.

Reactions: 1 user
Having completed all of my secondaries since early August, the following are options I have considered:
1. Taking a 20 credit course load and switching to pharmacy
2. Transferring from my OOS school to my IS school to get an engineering BS in two years
3. Applying to a BME masters
4. I dug out my "how to become a quant" guide from freshman year and talked to a friend in finance.

I'm not sure how I feel about penguins. I hope everyone is doing well.

5. Maybe I should go into consulting.
6. Or the Peace Corps.
7. Or I could become an author because people tell me that my stories are quite long and sometimes funny.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2 holds, one rejection, a bunch of silence and still waiting on drexel's secondary.

Apparently, I don't complain enough. Today was silent.

+1 to Peace Corps

Reactions: 2 users
What if all the schools where I've submitted secondaries (except the one I've already been rejected from, of course) are silent rejectors? There's no real list of the SR (as I am sure there is some acronym even if I don't know it). Hey, I can appreciate the idea of holding out hope until the bitter end, but wondering how many think it better to just sever vs the slow cut? I was clinging to the no news is good news, but for some schools no news is all you're going to hear…. ever. I think my recs should be stellar, but stats seem much in the middle of the pack. Complete early August, 36Mcat, 3.7sGPA top 5 CLA Hoping the plan B isn't bumped up.. PLEASE SOMEONE SEND A II!!

Another day of radio silence and no IIs yet. Penguin hasn't helped. But I'll stick with it.

What if all the schools where I've submitted secondaries (except the one I've already been rejected from, of course) are silent rejectors? There's no real list of the SR (as I am sure there is some acronym even if I don't know it). Hey, I can appreciate the idea of holding out hope until the bitter end, but wondering how many think it better to just sever vs the slow cut? I was clinging to the no news is good news, but for some schools no news is all you're going to hear…. ever. I think my recs should be stellar, but stats seem much in the middle of the pack. Complete early August, 36Mcat, 3.7sGPA top 5 CLA Hoping the plan B isn't bumped up.. PLEASE SOMEONE SEND A II!!
Your stats are the same as mine and they're definitely not middle of the pack unless you only applied to "top" schools. Keep your head up! And personally, I found my 2 rejections better than the continued silence at my other schools.

No IIs yet. It is difficult to wait and wait. Hope the penguin can bring me some luck.

I think it's still pretty early to worry about SRs. I assumed I was being silent rejected from UCSF, and then got a secondary out of the blue yesterday. I think many schools have just sent out one or two interview rounds to their super stars, and then work down the list. An under review is still better than an on hold from all I've read, so don't give up hope yet :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else check their emails at like midnight? Like wtf am I expecting? Yet I continue to do it. All night.

Reactions: 14 users
Anyone else check their emails at like midnight? Like wtf am I expecting? Yet I continue to do it. All night.

And then of course I have to check it first thing in the morning on my phone before I get out of bed because naturally all of the schools I've applied to have obviously sent me emails while I was sleeping... Right?

Reactions: 14 users
It's been slightly more than 24 hrs after I converted to penguinism and still no II. What gives?

joined the penguin team...got the drexel secondary...I like to think it's a start.

+2 to Peacecorps
and I am also thinking Americorps as a backup. I'd like that a million times more than wasting away in a grad school that I am not into.

II from NYMC. I guess the penguin helped :)

My penguin avatar got me a rejection....:( But it's so cute! :sorry:

Reactions: 4 users
4 rejections in a row now :(

Penguin avatar set...hopefully it makes all the difference. :)

I recognize people by their avatars and not their usernames, so the penguinism cult is messing with who I know I've seen on other threads :hello:

Reactions: 3 users
It's a rough life being part of the N.W.A. (No IIs, Waiting Anxiously).

Reactions: 5 users
Happy penguin today - first II!! Panic level is going down.

Reactions: 3 users
You never really become entirely hopeful, you only borrow it...

then someone please direct me to the library of hope.

pretty please

Was sitting on one II for a long while, changed my avatar to a penguin this morning, and immediately got another (literally five minutes later). Don't lose hope folks!

I don't know why this penguin superstition thing we've got going here is making me feel so much better about the application process, but it is lol. You gotta take what you can get during this long waiting game!!

Another day full of invites for ppl with similar completion dates and nothing for me :(

Second rejection today. Two in a row. :(

Last edited:
I wonder if today will bring any news. However, I am feeling particularly morbid so hopefully there will be some positive news??

I've never unsubscribed to more things on my mailing and I just sent myself an email to make it look like in actually getting something. Losing my mind.

C'mon it's still the first week of September, we shouldn't be panicking!

(If I keep saying and writing that sentence, I'll eventually believe it)

Hmm only news today is getting in an NIH program. I'll take it :3

I think I should take a vacation off my work to clear my mind. I've been working ever since graduation for a year without any breaks..
Maybe block SDN on my computer too..

Well, I only JUST started getting marked "complete" this week at 11 out of my 26 schools so............I guess I got that going for me.
-panics-

Oh god. I just jumped on the "penguin avatar" bandwagon.

This process is making me crazy/fall in love with penguins

Just another week full of neurotically checking my email to find nothing. Here's to getting some good news in my email this week (and also here's to penguins)!

Had a dream (nightmare?) last night about being rejected from all of the medical schools…even ones I didn't apply to!

So, today, I have been looking at what to do next year in case none of my medical schools show me any love. The panic has officially started. And yes, I know it's only September.

People who were complete when I was complete are starting to get IIs..........................:mooning:

So I'm guessing everyone in this thread doesn't have any II? Is that the main reason people are in panic mode?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I'm guessing everyone in this thread doesn't have any II? Is that the main reason people are in panic mode?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably not. SDN is both a blessing and a curse!

I'm sure the guy who posted a few days ago about dreading to spend the time going to 10+ interviews is panicking, albeit in a much different way than most of us are =)

I'm sure the guy who posted a few days ago about dreading to spend the time going to 10+ interviews is panicking, albeit in a much different way than most of us are =)

My only panic is how I'm going to afford getting to all these interviews! What ever happened to Keep Calm and Penguin On!? Penguins are calm animals......boring too.

dff1nn.png

I know everyone's always telling us to be calm, but when's a realistic date to start wondering whether you're gonna get in and whether you should start looking into things to try to strengthen your application for reapplying?

For instance: I've applied to 21 schools and have a 3.63cGPA and a 35 MCAT and havent heard anything back from any of them. My letters were submitted August 7th and most of my secondaries were complete then or a couple of weeks after then. When should I start legitimately freaking out (even though I've started to a little already)??

5 rejections now.... SUPER PANIC MODE